PDA

View Full Version : Sporting KC Chad Ocho Cinco interested in trying out for Sporting Kansas City Soccer team.

|Zach|
03-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Funny reaction to the recent NFL news. There is more going on with this than just a tweet mentioning it and Sporing referencing it. This may really happen.

http://twitter.com/#!/ochocinco/status/46675595991580672

"Honestly how many of you would come and support myself and my new futbol team @SportingKC if I played there?"

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg615/scaled.php?tn=0&server=615&filename=fixuhu.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Sporting has had a great preseason and has quite a team lined up but it would be interesting to see him train as the natural athlete he is with this MLS squad and how the organization would treat it.

Bearcat2005
03-12-2011, 04:42 PM
It would be huge PR for Sporting KC, and to be honest I would be more likely to see a game.

-King-
03-12-2011, 04:44 PM
I wonder how he decided on SportingKC
Posted via Mobile Device

|Zach|
03-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I wonder how he decided on SportingKC
Posted via Mobile Device

It is sort of interesting. One of Sporting's player's hits up Chad on Twitter a lot and I think a bit of a back and forth started last year. It was sort of a joke. And then this came up out of nowhere. Initiated by Chad.

Thig Lyfe
03-12-2011, 04:49 PM
DO IT

KcMizzou
03-12-2011, 04:50 PM
He also joked back and forth with Dana White on twitter about wanting to fight Anderson Silva. Dana was all for it, of course.

KurtCobain
03-12-2011, 04:51 PM
I'd go to a game just because of it.

Demonpenz
03-12-2011, 04:55 PM
I can't wait until he goes over the middle.

Molitoth
03-12-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm interested.

Shogun
03-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Ocho is my boy, I'd be at every game wearing a Bengals Jersey

pr_capone
03-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm interested.

rep for the av

BigMeatballDave
03-12-2011, 06:45 PM
SportingKC? What a stupid fucking name. Its soccer, so go figure...

Bugeater
03-12-2011, 06:53 PM
SportingKC? What a stupid fucking name. Its soccer, so go figure...
Well, OchoCinco is a pretty stupid fucking name too, so I'd say this is a perfect fit for him.

BigMeatballDave
03-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Well, OchoCinco is a pretty stupid fucking name too, so I'd say this is a perfect fit for him.heh, yeah pretty much.

Didn't he change back?

teedubya
03-12-2011, 08:45 PM
That's hilarious. I think this SportingKC deal will become a big deal in town. I'm pulling for them. Great group of guys over there, it seems.

This would be a different type of Bo Jackson, two-sport athlete that's never been attempted, right?

KcMizzou
03-12-2011, 08:55 PM
That's hilarious. I think this SportingKC deal will become a big deal in town. I'm pulling for them. Great group of guys over there, it seems.
They certainly seem to be doing things the right way... I loved that vid Zach posted of the snowball fight. The players seem like cool people.

I've never been into soccer, but hell... they seem like a decent reason to try. Might find out I like it. :shrug:

Stanley Nickels
03-12-2011, 09:03 PM
The thing about soccer is, you have to really know what to watch for to appreciate it. So much if it is setting a pace, preparing for an attack or counterattack, and a slow set-up for a handful of big plays. Having the exact right people in appropriate positions is crucial. It's a lot like an O-line vs D-line struggle in terms of strategic approach to different game styles. The problem is, when you REALLY know what the game looks like at its best--fluid, crisp, fast, and precise-- sometimes watching the MLS is tough. Because it's worlds better than its inaugural season fifteen years ago, but it's still nothing close to champions league (nor should we really expect it to be). Those who are quick to dismiss soccer cite the flops and drama involved, but there's so much more going on.

Silock
03-13-2011, 01:30 AM
It would be hilarious to see him at the open tryout.

Thig Lyfe
03-13-2011, 03:18 AM
The thing about soccer is, you have to really know what to watch for to appreciate it. So much if it is setting a pace, preparing for an attack or counterattack, and a slow set-up for a handful of big plays. Having the exact right people in appropriate positions is crucial. It's a lot like an O-line vs D-line struggle in terms of strategic approach to different game styles. The problem is, when you REALLY know what the game looks like at its best--fluid, crisp, fast, and precise-- sometimes watching the MLS is tough. Because it's worlds better than its inaugural season fifteen years ago, but it's still nothing close to champions league (nor should we really expect it to be). Those who are quick to dismiss soccer cite the flops and drama involved, but there's so much more going on.

I think Americans have just been trained to watch sports differently. And I don't think it's necessarily about the low scoring; baseball is fairly low scoring and only a few scores happen in an average game of football. It's more about the fact that in American sports, you know exactly who's winning at any given time. There are so many more statistics, more hard, tangible information to help us know who is "better." In football, even if it's a 3-3 tie you can look at data like yardage and turnovers to figure out who's playing a better game so far. In baseball, you have hits and strikeouts. Soccer, however, is so much more abstract. Like you said, you have to know what to watch for. I'd like to appreciate soccer more, and I do get into it around the World Cup, but I think my brain is just wired differently. If soccer is going to catch on, it'll take training a new generation on how to watch the game (as opposed to playing it -- youth soccer is huge but primarily because there's a shit-ton of running so it's a good way to get kids exercise on the cheap).

loochy
03-13-2011, 08:29 AM
This would be a circus...but it would be a circus that I would watch. Go for it! :thumb:

jynni
03-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah, this would be about the only way they could get me to drag my ass all the way out to the Legends for a team with the dumbest name on the planet.

Sporting KC is absolutely the stupidest team name I've ever heard. Until last week, I thought it was referring to the KC Sporting Commission. I don't get it - giving an already struggling team an even more pathetic name is not going to help drum up support.

WebGem
03-13-2011, 12:20 PM
heh, yeah pretty much.

Didn't he change back?

Yes.

Stewie
03-13-2011, 12:47 PM
I follow Ochocinco on Twitter and he's a big soccer fan. I bet he'd give it a try and it would be a hoot if he came here to play.

salame
03-13-2011, 01:02 PM
If he comes I am 100% going to a game. If he doesn't I am only 50%

Spicy McHaggis
03-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Chad's actually got an alright touch on the ball. If he hadn't gone the American Football route the guy could probably have be decent striker.

FreeNachos
03-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Sporting KC is absolutely the stupidest team name I've ever heard. Until last week, I thought it was referring to the KC Sporting Commission. I don't get it - giving an already struggling team an even more pathetic name is not going to help drum up support.

"Struggling team". BAAAHAHAHA! Which rock are you living under, man? They're likely to sell out half the season with our without you. If they were a stock, today's the time to buy.

Also, the "stupidest name" in sports is baseball's "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim", which translates to "The The Angels Angels of Anaheim". We would also accept the "Oakland Athletics" or "Philadelphia Phillies". You're just used to hearing it...

teedubya
03-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Yeah, this would be about the only way they could get me to drag my ass all the way out to the Legends for a team with the dumbest name on the planet.

That naming convention is very common among REAL soccer teams abroad.

jynni
03-13-2011, 03:28 PM
"Struggling team". BAAAHAHAHA! Which rock are you living under, man? They're likely to sell out half the season with our without you. If they were a stock, today's the time to buy.

Also, the "stupidest name" in sports is baseball's "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim", which translates to "The The Angels Angels of Anaheim". We would also accept the "Oakland Athletics" or "Philadelphia Phillies". You're just used to hearing it...
Living under the same rock with the 98% of the US population that doesn't give two shits about soccer.

Last I checked selling out only half your games isn't exactly doing well. And IRRC, the Brigade sold really well it's first season out when everyone was curious about WTF arena football was. Pretty much downhill from there. People will come check out the pretty new stadium, remember why soccer sucks and next year they'll struggle to give away tickets.

And nope, I still maintain the Sporting KC is the dumbest name in all of professional sports. You can still go see "the Angels" or the Phillies". Hey! Who wants to go to a Sporting game? WTF?

CHENZ A!
03-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Living under the same rock with the 98% of the US population that doesn't give two shits about soccer.

Last I checked selling out only half your games isn't exactly doing well. And IRRC, the Brigade sold really well it's first season out when everyone was curious about WTF arena football was. Pretty much downhill from there. People will come check out the pretty new stadium, remember why soccer sucks and next year they'll struggle to give away tickets.

And nope, I still maintain the Sporting KC is the dumbest name in all of professional sports. You can still go see "the Angels" or the Phillies". Hey! Who wants to go to a Sporting game? WTF?

Yeah, struggling teams build $200 million stadiums all the time.

Whether YOU like soccer or not, it is a growing sport in the US, but you can continue to ignore it.. No one cares.

morphius
03-13-2011, 09:33 PM

I'm sure the Arena's team lacking sales didn't have anything to do with them basically losing every game.

BigMeatballDave
03-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Whether YOU like soccer or not, it is a growing sport in the US, but you can continue to ignore it.. No one cares.I dislike soccer, but I recognize its growing and not going anywhere. It also will never be fully accepted the way other sports are here.

|Zach|
03-14-2011, 01:57 AM

Lucky for you that the internet is a nice comfortable place for people who don't know what they are talking about.

FreeNachos
03-14-2011, 02:09 PM

Heh. I like how you get so angry like Sporting KC being successful is going to force you to not enjoy football anymore. I mean if you don't like it, sure...but such passion! You really should consider joining those guys who protest funerals. Anyway, we can argue this very important topic forever, but the fact is they're gonna do well and you can either like that your city has something cool or just stomp around like Rumplestiltskin.

In the meantime, I think you'll learn that Kansas City has a palate to enjoy a wide range of sports, and why not? It's fun.

Also, the Arena Football League went on hiatus, the Brigade didn't just get unpopular. You're really not helping your "living under a rock" case.

FreeNachos
03-14-2011, 02:10 PM
I dislike soccer, but I recognize its growing and not going anywhere. It also will never be fully accepted the way other sports are here.

That's the sensible way to put it. I think it'll top the NHL though.

Quesadilla Joe
03-16-2011, 10:15 AM
#OCNNBreakingNews I'll be playing on the MLS team @SportingKC on march 22nd, thank everyone involved especially coach Vermes #EPIC

https://twitter.com/ochocinco/status/48053617248313344

schneider221
03-16-2011, 10:26 AM
SKC has confirmed that he will be in town for a trial/tryout next week.

penguinz
03-16-2011, 10:59 AM
SKC has confirmed that he will be in town for a trial/tryout next week.If the players weren't going broke with their 6+ figure salaries he would have been able to afford the $100 fee for the open tryouts this past weekend.

CHENZ A!
03-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Fucking awesome
Posted via Mobile Device

Ultra Peanut
03-16-2011, 11:57 AM
I was really harsh on the name change, but everything else about SKC has been really impressive in the past few months. This is great publicity at worst, and I'd be overjoyed if he managed to make the roster and be a legit MLS player.

Farzin
03-16-2011, 12:25 PM
This is awesome for Sporting KC. I guess they were right when they said good things are going to happen when they changed their name.

jettio
03-16-2011, 02:28 PM
I think this 4-day tryout is a cool thing for the local outfit and for Ochocinco.

I did not like the name change at first, but Sporting KC is a better name than Wizards and if they become a contender that will be a respectable name.

Thig Lyfe
03-16-2011, 02:34 PM
I was really harsh on the name change, but everything else about SKC has been really impressive in the past few months. This is great publicity at worst, and I'd be overjoyed if he managed to make the roster and be a legit MLS player.

I really hope that he makes the team. We haven't had a really great dual sport athlete in ages.

gblowfish
03-16-2011, 02:53 PM
We should send Brandon Carr to the tryouts to see if he can cover 85.