PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Why are so many college nicknames the same?

ReynardMuldrake
03-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Did you know there are 58 colleges with an eagle as their mascot? And 45 tigers? It's true, I looked it up.

http://www.examiner.com/college-admissions-in-washington-dc/the-top-ten-most-popular-college-nicknames

I get sick of seeing the same nicknames so often. The school nickname is supposed to be your stamp of originality, so why the hell do so many schools pick the same things? At least throw an adjective on there. The Shitheel State Fighting Chartreuse Eagles sounds so much better than just "The Eagles." Put some damn thought into it. And it's just stupid to watch two schools with the same nickname play each other. :doh!:

I would rather have a goofy name like the Banana Slugs or the Spiders than something generic. At least it has personality and stands out from the crowd.

Here's the complete list: http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/

What bugs you about college mascots?

blaise
03-15-2011, 12:49 PM
What bothers me about college mascots? They're a bunch of phonies. They put on one face for everyone else, but at home they're totally different.

Saul Good
03-15-2011, 12:50 PM

It bugs me when they wear giant, yellow Pilgrim shoes with big, red buckles on them. I mean, how queer is that?

DMAC
03-15-2011, 12:53 PM
I want to eat cheerleaders whole, but I cant. That makes me jealous.

Saul Good
03-15-2011, 12:54 PM
I want to eat cheerleaders whole, but I cant. That makes me jealous.

Would you settle for eating cheerleaders' holes?

WebGem
03-15-2011, 01:00 PM
This is proof the Huskers are so fuckin gay. Only one school gay enough to have that stupid fucking awful nickname.

seclark
03-15-2011, 01:05 PM

they get to run all over the field and act like an ass. when i do that, i get tazed, clubbed, cuffed and hauled off to the clink.
sec

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 01:08 PM
If I owned a college, the mascot would be the Boulders, and my fans would throw tiny boulders at the opposing team.

seclark
03-15-2011, 01:11 PM
If I owned a college, the mascot would be the Boulders, and my fans would throw tiny boulders at the opposing team.

oooh...then my team mascot would be the dirty underwears.
sec

DMAC
03-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Would you settle for eating cheerleaders' holes?

That took all but 1 minute. :thumb:

Pants
03-15-2011, 01:24 PM
It bugs me when they wear giant, yellow Pilgrim shoes with big, red buckles on them. I mean, how queer is that?

Better that than a mascot who looks like a cracked out version of Tony the Tiger selling his ass on the corner so he can buy more rocks to smoke.

Omaha
03-15-2011, 01:45 PM
What bothers me about college mascots? They're a bunch of phonies. They put on one face for everyone else, but at home they're totally different.

Using real tigers might be dangerous....

DaKCMan AP
03-15-2011, 01:50 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u105/Mosley_Balla_7/Florida_Gators_logo.gif

Rain Man
03-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Using real tigers might be dangerous....

Mascots are supposed to be about generating excitement.

J Diddy
03-15-2011, 02:21 PM
I agree. The world would be a better place if we had a college team named the astrogliders.