PDA

View Full Version : Football Adrian Peterson: NFL is like "modern-day slavery"

Taco John
03-16-2011, 01:32 AM
Adrian Peterson took part in a new online reality show called "Double Take" recently and he did some interviews to accompany his appearance.

ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert provided a link to a transcript of an interview Peterson did with Doug Farrar of Yahoosports.com. In the interview, Peterson reportedly referred to the NFL as "modern-day slavery" and that players are getting "robbed."

This was in reference to questions about the NFL lockout. Peterson conducted the interview soon after the players union decertified last week.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/118019104.html

Rain Man
03-16-2011, 01:34 AM
Someone else made the same analogy a few years ago. Perhaps it's time to free these poor souls of the tyranny of wealth.

It's really an affront to the people who lived and died as slaves.

Hammock Parties
03-16-2011, 01:34 AM
What a joke.

Go to a training camp and see how much these idiots are pampered. And that's supposed to be the hardest part of their year.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Fucking stupid. What a fucking STUPID thing to say. These guys are making it really tough to get behind them.

Hammock Parties
03-16-2011, 02:09 AM
Has Adrian Peterson ever had a real job? Hell, what was his GPA?

Darien25
03-16-2011, 02:16 AM

Did he work at Little Red Imports with all of his buddies?

teedubya
03-16-2011, 02:18 AM
He should ask his dad what it's like being a prison bitch? That's more like being a slave, I'd say.

Rasputin
03-16-2011, 02:53 AM
What is your name boy :whip:

MagicHef
03-16-2011, 03:56 AM
That's incredibly offensive. Some of these players are making it difficult to desire anything but a lopsided victory for the owners.

Over-Head
03-16-2011, 04:12 AM
He refers to making a million plus a year as slavery....sign me the fuck up, toss me the coverals, and shackel my feet.:rolleyes:

Over-Head
03-16-2011, 04:14 AM
That's incredibly offensive. Some of these players are making it difficult to desire anything but a lopsided victory for the owners.
But, but, but...their ****ing geniouses...it's been indicated in the Union thread.......:thumb:

Braincase
03-16-2011, 05:40 AM
Man's gotta eat.

Crush
03-16-2011, 05:52 AM
Can we napalm both sides and start fresh?

InChiefsHeaven
03-16-2011, 05:57 AM
Well, apparently being a highly talented and gifted athlete does not preclude one from being a complete fucking idiot. What an insult. I can't believe there are not a large group of intelligent black people who are wishing he would just shut the hell up.

It's amazing. Politicians being out of touch makes sense to me. They were mostly born with a silver spoon in their mouths. But I'd think most NFL players had to work pretty hard to get where they are. It's amazing that they could be so out of touch as to make a ludicrous statement like that.

Bugeater
03-16-2011, 05:59 AM
You gotta be fucking kidding me.

Simply Red
03-16-2011, 06:05 AM
welcome to six days ago.

Simply Red
03-16-2011, 06:06 AM
You gotta be ****ing kidding me.

Yeah, first thing I said was: 'nigga please!'

AP needs to hang himself.

Lzen
03-16-2011, 07:25 AM
What an incredibly stupid thing to say. I hate it when people use these kinds of analogies. It really degrades the people who actually lived through slavery and the civil rights marches and everything between.

AP, GFY!

Over-Head
03-16-2011, 07:28 AM
It's amazing that they could be so out of touch as to make a ludicrous statement like that.
Give ANYONE enough $$$ and they too will think their above normal laws of reality. Hell look at Dane :p

AndChiefs
03-16-2011, 07:32 AM
He's always free to underground railroad it up to the CFL. I'm sure they'll pay him more.

MahiMike
03-16-2011, 08:31 AM
This offseason will be like watching Comedy Central.

jd1020
03-16-2011, 08:36 AM
All of a sudden I wish I was black because I want to be apart of this slavery.

WV
03-16-2011, 08:38 AM
If he's a slave then the NFL should definitely free him to the CFL.

BigRichard
03-16-2011, 08:40 AM
What an incredibly stupid thing to say. I hate it when people use these kinds of analogies. It really degrades the people who actually lived through slavery and the civil rights marches and everything between.

AP, GFY!

Anyone who compares anything or anyone to being like slavery, or the holocaust, or to being a Nazi are just stupid as hell. Have these people never read a history book? JFC... :banghead:

Nzoner
03-16-2011, 08:48 AM
He refers to making a million plus a year as slavery....sign me the **** up, toss me the coverals, and shackel my feet.:rolleyes:

Yep,I could pick one helluva lot of cotton for a few mil a year.

Spicy McHaggis
03-16-2011, 08:49 AM

He probably "worked" at the same car dealership Rhett Bomar did.

And if I'm a member of the NFLPA I'm kicking AP square in the nuts. Way to give a middle finger to any public support you had building you fucking moron.

Deberg_1990
03-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Slaves must have been paid top dollar back in da day.....
Posted via Mobile Device

morphius
Doesn't some player seem to say this every few years? It never seems to be the guy making league minimums either.

blaise
Wel, let the players pool their money, start a new league and see how much they feel like paying players.

tooge
03-16-2011, 09:09 AM
what an insult to slaves everywhere!

seaofred
03-16-2011, 09:12 AM
It was Warren Sapp that said it a few years ago...

DBOSHO
03-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Then quit the nfl and get a dayjob you fucking hoodrat.

Al Bundy
03-16-2011, 09:15 AM
I will post the same thing I did when Sapp said it
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EcwyOaYyu7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BIG_DADDY
03-16-2011, 09:15 AM
what an insult to slaves everywhere!

LMAO

KCUnited
03-16-2011, 09:17 AM
I implore the Chiefs to free Thomas Jones.

FishingRod
03-16-2011, 09:40 AM
So I guess the descendants of Slaves should be thanking the descendants of Slave owners instead of asking for an apology and or reparations? Slavery is an ugly stain on the soul of our country but, most people are smart enough to know that no one now living suffered through it and none alive today were involved in its implementation. I do not know the man but I would imagine that his ability to play a game at an elite level has paved his way through life in a manner most of us can only dream of. What a douche.

Demonpenz
03-16-2011, 09:46 AM
you know.... one of those Adrian Peterson songs! The camptown lady sings the song.

philfree
03-16-2011, 09:49 AM
So the Manning bros are slaves too? Wow I bet Archie's pissed!

PhilFree:arrow:

Rain Man
03-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Anyone who compares anything or anyone to being like slavery, or the holocaust, or to being a Nazi are just stupid as hell. Have these people never read a history book? JFC... :banghead:

Agreed. It's like something that Hitler would do.

morphius
03-16-2011, 09:57 AM
So I guess the descendants of Slaves should be thanking the descendants of Slave owners instead of asking for an apology and or reparations? Slavery is an ugly stain on the soul of our country but, most people are smart enough to know that no one now living suffered through it and none alive today were involved in its implementation. I do not know the man but I would imagine that his ability to play a game at an elite level has paved his way through life in a manner most of us can only dream of. What a douche.
Off topic, but it always bothers me when people say that it is a stain on our country as if it wasn't happening all over the world throughout human history. It does suck that it happened anywhere, but it isn't like our country invented the damned institution.

Nightfyre
03-16-2011, 10:48 AM
you know.... one of those Adrian Peterson songs! The camptown lady sings the song.

Blazing saddles. Choice reference.

Mr. Laz
03-16-2011, 10:48 AM
poor NFLPA ... feel bad for them, support them

viva la players!!!

maybe the fans could agree to a ticket price increase so the players would have more money to support their family and feed their kids.

Easy 6
03-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Can we napalm both sides and start fresh?

For. Real.

Both sides are like most democrats & republicans, neither side is acting in good faith, they exist simply to enhance their own lives & power. Let'em keep this kinda sh*t up, it'll take twice as long as baseball did to rebound.

Okie_Apparition
03-16-2011, 10:58 AM
He should have said Goodell was Hitler and no one would have batted an eye.

Demonpenz
03-16-2011, 10:59 AM
So if the players were slaves..the Bengles must be the Irish

FishingRod
03-16-2011, 11:17 AM
Off topic, but it always bothers me when people say that it is a stain on our country as if it wasn't happening all over the world throughout human history. It does suck that it happened anywhere, but it isn't like our country invented the damned institution.

Hey Morphius,
Been a long time.

I understand your point and while we certainly did not invent it, it does Lay a big Fat I’m a hypocrite sign at the doorstep of our founding fathers. Hey, we’re slave owners that want to be free!
Having said that, it is history and no one living had anything to do with it. Paying for the sins of the father just isn’t realistic. Enough time has passed that most “white” people and Most “black” people probably have someone in their family tree involved directly in the ownership of slaves or in their procurement. That makes blaming those alive now a bit complicated. Kinda like the joke of the guy half English and Half Scottish wanting to kick his own ass every time he watches Brave heart.

DJ's left nut
03-16-2011, 11:24 AM
I lost my bet.

I figured it would take at least another week before the players started busting out the "shackles and chains..."

And I had T.O. in the pool. I know, it's a cliche pick, but in times of trouble you go with the ol' standbys.

That's the problem with these things. The players have a very easy side to root for and the owners are being complete pricks. However, there are just too many dumb MFers in the NFLPA that open their mouths when they shouldn't and make themselves very very easy to dislike.

C'mon guys - just shut the fuck up and let us back your horse. Otherwise I'm just going to have to hope you both get put down on the track...

Chief Faithful
03-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Hey Morphius,
Been a long time.

I understand your point and while we certainly did not invent it, it does Lay a big Fat I’m a hypocrite sign at the doorstep of our founding fathers. Hey, we’re slave owners that want to be free!
Having said that, it is history and no one living had anything to do with it. Paying for the sins of the father just isn’t realistic. Enough time has passed that most “white” people and Most “black” people probably have someone in their family tree involved directly in the ownership of slaves or in their procurement. That makes blaming those alive now a bit complicated. Kinda like the joke of the guy half English and Half Scottish wanting to kick his own ass every time he watches Brave heart.

Our founding fathers were the first to question the institution of slavery, which was the norm everywhere in the world. How are they hypocrites because they were the first to question the norm? In my mind they were progressive in their thinking.

Jaric
03-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Was Brad Childress whipping his ass every time he fumbled?

No? Then it's probably not the same thing...

FishingRod
03-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Our founding fathers were the first to question the institution of slavery, which was the norm everywhere in the world. How are they hypocrites because they were the first to question the norm? In my mind they were progressive in their thinking.

I’m the biggest Founding Fathers Homer in the world. I wish just a few members of our present government had a thimbles worth of their intellect but, to give them credit for being the first to discuss outlawing slavery is a bit of a stretch.

A quick serchs brings up a few examples.

6th century BC Cyrus the Great abolishes slavery in Persia

1117 Slavery abolished in Iceland

1214 The Statute of the Town of Korčula (Croatia) abolishes slavery.[5]

1274 Landslova (Land's Law) in Norway mentions only former slaves, which indicates that slavery was abolished in Norway

1315 Louis X, king of France, publishes a decree proclaiming that "France" signifies freedom and that any slave setting foot on the French ground should be freed[6]

1335 Sweden (including Finland at the time) makes slavery illegal.[7]

1416 Republic of Ragusa (modern day Dubrovnik; Croatia) abolished slavery and slave tradin

1588 Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth abolishes slavery[8]

I do understand the situation our FFs faced and why the discussion was put aside for another day but, the idea that slavery might be wrong, was not a new idea.

Rasputin
03-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Oreo cookies should be ashamed of them selves to exploit slave Peyton Manning like that with commercials. We should boycott Oreo.

gblowfish
03-16-2011, 03:07 PM

I agree. General rule of thumb: If you, as part of your argument, invoke either a reference to slavery or Hitler, you lose the argument.

BossChief
03-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Doesn't some player seem to say this every few years? It never seems to be the guy making league minimums either.

It was Warren Sapp that said it a few years ago...

I believe Haynseworth said it too.

RNR
03-16-2011, 03:58 PM
I believe Haynseworth said it too.

Warren Sapp was the first I ever heard say that...that is the great thing about sports it never runs out of pampered shitbags~

spida_man23
03-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Adrian Peterson took part in a new online reality show called "Double Take" recently and he did some interviews to accompany his appearance.

ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert provided a link to a transcript of an interview Peterson did with Doug Farrar of Yahoosports.com. In the interview, Peterson reportedly referred to the NFL as "modern-day slavery" and that players are getting "robbed."

This was in reference to questions about the NFL lockout. Peterson conducted the interview soon after the players union decertified last week.

how the hell are they getting robbed? they are fucking richer then i will ever even dreaming of becoming... how can they not come to an agreement? they all have so much money anyways, do they really need to do all this shit over a few more billion? Well hey, if they haven't came to an agreement in time to have a season next year and tha owners start making a replacement team, im going to go out for it... hahahahaha... what tha fuck am i gonna do during football season? watch some other panzy ass sport? fuck no...

vailpass
03-16-2011, 05:35 PM
They should cut half of AP's foot off.

MahiMike
03-16-2011, 08:13 PM

If it wasn't for slavery, these guys would still be back in a hut in Africa.

Saul Good
03-16-2011, 08:48 PM
I kind of see where he's coming from. Slaves came over on ships, wore chains, and lived on plantations.

NFL players sail on yachts, wear diamond chains, and own mansions. There are a lot of parallels.

Also, neither ever learned to read nor write.

J Diddy
03-16-2011, 08:52 PM
This has got to have Jimmy the Greek rolling over in his grave....

Shogun
03-16-2011, 08:53 PM
They should cut half of AP's foot off.

This would also be racist to people with Diabetes

notorious
03-16-2011, 09:11 PM
I kind of see where he's coming from. Slaves came over on ships, wore chains, and lived on plantations.

NFL players sail on yachts, wear diamond chains, and own mansions. There are a lot of parallels.

ROFL

milkman
03-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Well, apparently being a highly talented and gifted athlete does not preclude one from being a complete ****ing idiot. What an insult. I can't believe there are not a large group of intelligent black people who are wishing he would just shut the hell up.

It's amazing. Politicians being out of touch makes sense to me. They were mostly born with a silver spoon in their mouths. But I'd think most NFL players had to work pretty hard to get where they are. It's amazing that they could be so out of touch as to make a ludicrous statement like that.

Gifted athletes are pampered from the moment they begin to show they have talent.

They are every bit as out of touch with reality as those born with silver spoons.

milkman
03-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Too bad no one ever taught these guys about indentured servitude.

It wouldn't be quite so controversial as an analogy.

Oh....wait, I bet it was part one of the history tests that their "tudors" took for them.

Bwana
03-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Slavery, really? Well gee Adrian, if it's sooooooo bad, cut the chain, tell the "master" to go fuck himself and go get yourself a sweet gig over at Taco bell, dumb ass.

stevieray
03-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Hey Morphius,
Been a long time.

not quite... and I disagree that everyone has it in their family tree.

the founding fathers declared all men equal. the rights of life, liberty and property ownership came from God. certian FF and others bought slaves to set them free.

Black and white fought side by side during the revolution. one of the main reasons the southern states resisted as long as they did was because the politics of the time tried to mirror england's lead of totally demonizing the slave owners. not all blacks were slaves in the north. Carpetbaggers that came to the south after the Civil War included blacks. Blacks have held high postions of authority, power and education all during the late 1700 and 1800's. Frederick Douglass and Abe Lincoln were close friends. There is so much history that isn't taught, and it really has been a disservice to all of our country.

what amazes me is how the Arab slave trade murdered 20 million Africans, but it rarely gets mentioned.

the saddest part is slavery still even exists.

JOhn
03-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Slavery, really? Well gee Adrian, if it's sooooooo bad, cut the chain, tell the "master" to go **** himself and go get yourself a sweet gig over at Taco bell, dumb ass.

:thumb:

BIG_DADDY
03-16-2011, 11:40 PM

the founding fathers declared all men equal. the rights of life, liberty and property ownership came from God. certian FF and others bought slaves to set them free.

Black and white fought side by side during the revolution. one of the main reasons the southern states resisted as long as they did was because the politics of the time tried to mirror england's lead of totally demonizing the slave owners. not all blacks were slaves in the north. Carpetbaggers that came to the south after the Civil War included blacks. Blacks have held high postions of authority, power and education all during the late 1700 and 1800's. Frederick Douglass and Abe Lincoln were close friends. There is so much history that isn't taught, and it really has been a disservice to all of our country.

what amazes me is how the Arab slave trade murdered 20 million Africans, but it rarely gets mentioned.

It's because them damn cracka christians are the devil.

buddha
03-17-2011, 12:16 AM
That one's going to leave a big mark, AD. I used to think your nickname meant "All Day"...apparently it's really, "Absolutely Delusional".

What a dumbass.

dtebbe
03-17-2011, 08:38 AM

Ouchy! :LOL:

DT

Jenson71
03-17-2011, 09:42 AM

Of the many arguable elements of this point, I only want to point out that Douglass and Lincoln were not close friends.

There's a lot of misinformation out there.

Fish
03-17-2011, 10:08 AM
If it wasn't for slavery, these guys would still be back in a hut in Africa.

Damn... that's incredibly ignorant.... I'm pretty sure slavery isn't the only means of social advancement for an entire race of people...

InChiefsHeaven
03-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Damn... that's incredibly ignorant.... I'm pretty sure slavery isn't the only means of social advancement for an entire race of people...

Not that I agree with the argument, but can you point to a "developed" and modern society in Africa?

Fish
03-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Not that I agree with the argument, but can you point to a "developed" and modern society in Africa?

Well... just for an example... look at Angola.

They overcame a long civil war, and since have become one of the fastest growing economies in the world, with an average GDP growth of 20 percent between 2005 and 2007. During 2001-2010 Angola has the world's biggest Annual average GDP growth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_average_GDP_growth) with 11.1 percent. They still have problems for sure, but you can't say they aren't developed and modern.

I don't understand why so many people think it's still nothing but mud huts and exposed breasts in Africa.

WV
03-17-2011, 11:04 AM
exposed breasts in Africa.

Whoa wait.....pics!

Chief Faithful
03-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Of the many arguable elements of this point, I only want to point out that Douglass and Lincoln were not close friends.

There's a lot of misinformation out there.

Do you have any evidence that Douglass and Lincoln were not friends? For not being friends Douglass sure had a lot of access to the President.

Chief Faithful
03-17-2011, 11:13 AM
I’m the biggest Founding Fathers Homer in the world. I wish just a few members of our present government had a thimbles worth of their intellect but, to give them credit for being the first to discuss outlawing slavery is a bit of a stretch.

A quick serchs brings up a few examples.

6th century BC Cyrus the Great abolishes slavery in Persia

1117 Slavery abolished in Iceland

1214 The Statute of the Town of Korčula (Croatia) abolishes slavery.[5]

1274 Landslova (Land's Law) in Norway mentions only former slaves, which indicates that slavery was abolished in Norway

1315 Louis X, king of France, publishes a decree proclaiming that "France" signifies freedom and that any slave setting foot on the French ground should be freed[6]

1335 Sweden (including Finland at the time) makes slavery illegal.[7]

1416 Republic of Ragusa (modern day Dubrovnik; Croatia) abolished slavery and slave tradin

1588 Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth abolishes slavery[8]

I do understand the situation our FFs faced and why the discussion was put aside for another day but, the idea that slavery might be wrong, was not a new idea.

Not a new idea, but slavery was the norm which is my point.

FishingRod
03-17-2011, 11:14 AM
On a more important note, If you have the time I would recommend watching, Drunk history on U-tube. Funny funny stuff.

Rausch
03-17-2011, 11:21 AM

It's not the only one, just the most efficient.

Egypt, Rome, the US, WWII Germany.

It is not moral, it is not right, it is not justified by any religion.

But if you can snatch up some people and enslave them you can get some amazing $#it done...

FishingRod
03-17-2011, 11:23 AM
It did take Saudi Arabia and the gulf states until 1963 to abolish slavery .

But on a much more entertaining topic. If one has not watched episodes of Drunk History on U-tube is highly recommended by those not offended by colorful language or drunk professors.

Rausch
03-17-2011, 11:25 AM
If one has not watched episodes of Drunk History on U-tube is highly recommended by those not offended by colorful language or drunk professors.

This is SO me.

Later...

Jenson71
03-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Do you have any evidence that Douglass and Lincoln were not friends? For not being friends Douglass sure had a lot of access to the President.

Access to the president doesn't make you a friend. They were on amiable terms. But they were not friends.

Halfcan
03-17-2011, 12:31 PM

:spock: slavery really? Wow dumbest statement of the year!!

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 12:44 PM
In essence, it is. People are used for a monetary purpose and once their usefullness is over, they are discarded, with little care afterwards. We dont complain at what the top of their professions in other jobs make,i.e doctors,lawyers,actors. etc. Sure current day players should be smarter with their earnings and be able to care for themselves. Its more about guys who played 20 yrs ago that didnt make millions and get no care now.

Its about owners who have saved enough to endure a year long lockout, but have to have more off the top in order to survive. One side is used to having money the other isnt. One side understands preparing for the future, the other throws money around like it grows on trees. Lost in it all, is the side that played and built the league, has been discarded and gets little for their time and service.

Marcellus
03-17-2011, 01:07 PM
In essence, it is. People are used for a monetary purpose and once their usefullness is over, they are discarded, with little care afterwards. We dont complain at what the top of their professions in other jobs make,i.e doctors,lawyers,actors. etc. Sure current day players should be smarter with their earnings and be able to care for themselves. Its more about guys who played 20 yrs ago that didnt make millions and get no care now.

Its about owners who have saved enough to endure a year long lockout, but have to have more off the top in order to survive. One side is used to having money the other isnt. One side understands preparing for the future, the other throws money around like it grows on trees. Lost in it all, is the side that played and built the league, has been discarded and gets little for their time and service.

Somehow in history class after history class I missed where slaves were paid the equivalent of millions of $.

This may be one of the dumbest posts of the year. Congratulations.

Chief Faithful
03-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Access to the president doesn't make you a friend. They were on amiable terms. But they were not friends.

Says who?

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Somehow in history class after history class I missed where slaves were paid the equivalent of millions of $.

This may be one of the dumbest posts of the year. Congratulations.

if you are the top of your profession, you get paid well. It isnt about the amount of money they make. Its about their care after they make someone else the money. Owners make more money off the players, than the players make.Once player is done, owner makes more money off the next player than the player makes without having to pay for care for the previous player.

Otter
03-17-2011, 01:26 PM
This would also be racist to people with Diabetes

And to my uncle "half footsie" Clouser. Chainsaw accident while trying to get my nephew Zeke freed from air shaft of the alien fall out shelter out back. We all thought Zeke was yellin' "come git meez" but was yelling "can't breath". Seem's Clouser's toe nail shot strait Zeke's good nostril seein' how the other was deviated septum and all.

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 01:41 PM
if you are the top of your profession, you get paid well. It isnt about the amount of money they make. Its about their care after they make someone else the money. Owners make more money off the players, than the players make.Once player is done, owner makes more money off the next player than the player makes without having to pay for care for the previous player.

isnt that how every business works?

AndChiefs
03-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Nah every other business just takes about $20 off the top for themselves.

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 02:02 PM

of course it is, its also why unions had a place.But an increased bottom line desnt mean you dont care for the ones that made it possible for that bottom line. Most jobs dont require the physical punishment that playing a NFL career does. If a person loses the ability to walk and play with their kids because he helped your bottom line, wouldnt you at least provide him with a lower premium to deal with his injuries?

Think of yourself as a player. Wouldnt you want to get the most you could for your time and effort, if its was most likely to lead to you having long term health consequences?

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 02:08 PM
of course it is, its also why unions had a place.But an increased bottom line desnt mean you dont care for the ones that made it possible for that bottom line. Most jobs dont require the physical punishment that playing a NFL career does. If a person loses the ability to walk and play with their kids because he helped your bottom line, wouldnt you at least provide him with a lower premium to deal with his injuries?

Think of yourself as a player. Wouldnt you want to get the most you could for your time and effort, if its was most likely to lead to you having long term health consequences?

Everything you said here could happen at ANY job.

again they CHOSE that profession. and get paid pretty well for it.....

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 02:14 PM

doesnt make them have less rights. shouldnt employees that increase revenues have rights to increased incomes?

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 02:20 PM

Because they chose to do it, doesnt mean you dont have some sort of responsibility to them.

You own your own business correct? If someone injured themselves while making your family financially sound for the rest of your life, could you walk away while they pay for their healthcare out of pocket without you contributing a dime? Arent they responsible for your success? Do you not owe them something for their contribution even though you paid them well?

FlaChief58
03-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Fucking retard!

Jaric
03-17-2011, 02:40 PM

No amount of verbal gymnastics are going to be able to compare getting paid millions of dollars to play a game to being stolen from your homeland, thrown into a boat, dragged halfway around the world, and then being forced against your will to do manual labor under threat of beating or death.

If Adrian Peterson doesn't show up for work tomorrow, will the Vikings pay a bunch of people to go find him, beat him, and then hang him?

Face it, it's a stupid comment to make that shows a serious lack of perspective.

Marcellus
03-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Nah every other business just takes about $20 off the top for themselves.

Actually they probably do. Most businesses are in business to ummmm, make $ and as much as possible.

RNR
03-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Because they chose to do it, doesnt mean you dont have some sort of responsibility to them.

You own your own business correct? If someone injured themselves while making your family financially sound for the rest of your life, could you walk away while they pay for their healthcare out of pocket without you contributing a dime? Arent they responsible for your success? Do you not owe them something for their contribution even though you paid them well?

If said person knew the risk in advance and was paid way over the average wage for labor a year the answer is no. I feel I owe them nothing. I compare it to people who do contract labor in the industry I work in. They make much more per hour than I do. They are responsible for everything as far as taxes and health coverage. You do not need a degree to play in the NFL, you just have to run fast and jump high or be way larger than a normal person.

If you want to fight for a living and you are an average fighter you will not be rich beyond your dreams and will end up punch drunk. The same with average talent NFL players. It is a choice and they chose it. For some shitbag like Sapp or Peterson who both have made millions to claim to be slaves or even bitch is laughable.

If they are so bent thinking owners have a better deal than find another (real) job or buy a team. if they cannot afford to buy a team than welcome to the real world...I cannot afford to buy the company I work for either. Many of us work paycheck to paycheck and struggle to afford to go watch a game yet many of the same people rush to defend these guys like they are Joe sixpack~

Marcellus
03-17-2011, 02:47 PM
doesnt make them have less rights. shouldnt employees that increase revenues have rights to increased incomes?

They certainly have a right to bring it up and if it's not handled to their liking to seek employment elsewhere.

That's how it works in most every other profession.

ThaVirus
03-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Well... just for an example... look at Angola.

They overcame a long civil war, and since have become one of the fastest growing economies in the world, with an average GDP growth of 20 percent between 2005 and 2007. During 2001-2010 Angola has the world's biggest Annual average GDP growth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_average_GDP_growth) with 11.1 percent. They still have problems for sure, but you can't say they aren't developed and modern.

I don't understand why so many people think it's still nothing but mud huts and exposed breasts in Africa.

THIS. Yeah, of course they have villages of people living in huts that still hunt and gather.. As do certain places in Asia and South America. People need to get rid of that mindset. They have cities and governments just like anywhere else. Why the entire country hasn't developed past their current state of civil unrest, I don't know; but they're a little farther along than most think.

AndChiefs
03-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Actually they probably do. Most businesses are in business to ummmm, make $ and as much as possible.

Maybe I was less than clear...I was saying every other business ONLY takes $20 off the top in a sarcastic manner.

Of course every business is in it to make as much money as possible.

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 05:28 PM
If said person knew the risk in advance and was paid way over the average wage for labor a year the answer is no. I feel I owe them nothing. I compare it to people who do contract labor in the industry I work in. They make much more per hour than I do. They are responsible for everything as far as taxes and health coverage. You do not need a degree to play in the NFL, you just have to run fast and jump high or be way larger than a normal person.

If you want to fight for a living and you are an average fighter you will not be rich beyond your dreams and will end up punch drunk. The same with average talent NFL players. It is a choice and they chose it. For some shitbag like Sapp or Peterson who both have made millions to claim to be slaves or even bitch is laughable.

If they are so bent thinking owners have a better deal than find another (real) job or buy a team. if they cannot afford to buy a team than welcome to the real world...I cannot afford to buy the company I work for either. Many of us work paycheck to paycheck and struggle to afford to go watch a game yet many of the same people rush to defend these guys like they are Joe sixpack~

Find another job if you cant afford to buy the company you work for. You choose to stay with that company. The owners are the ones saying they are losing money, yet have enough money saved up to not lose money in the case of a lock out, the owners wont open up their books for the mediators.

If your pissed because players make millions, thats your and every fans fault. You bought merchandise, you bought tickets, you watched games. You feed greed. Be mad that millionaires want more, thats fine, but its no different than you wanting a raise. When you are the top 1% of your profession, you should be paid well.

Again, its the care for after they are done sacrificing their bodies for your entertainment that is the issue. Is it too much to expect an employer to assist someone that was instrumental in building their empire?

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Lol do you really think this all hinges on after career health care?

Clueless

You obviously are.
Find another job if you cant afford to buy the company you work for. You choose to stay with that company. The owners are the ones saying they are losing money, yet have enough money saved up to not lose money in the case of a lock out, the owners wont open up their books for the mediators.

If your pissed because players make millions, thats your and every fans fault. You bought merchandise, you bought tickets, you watched games. You feed greed. Be mad that millionaires want more, thats fine, but its no different than you wanting a raise. When you are the top 1% of your profession, you should be paid well.

Again, its the care for after they are done sacrificing their bodies for your entertainment that is the issue. Is it too much to expect an employer to assist someone that was instrumental in building their empire?
Posted via Mobile Device

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 05:43 PM
Lol do you really think this all hinges on after career health care?

Clueless

You obviously are.

Posted via Mobile Device

it doesnt hinge on that one issue, but its a factor. when you are in a profit share, is it too much to ask for the books to be open in order to make share profit is actually be shared?

WebGem
03-17-2011, 05:47 PM

A real job? How the fuck is his job not a real job?

WebGem
03-17-2011, 05:51 PM
People that really can't see where AP is coming from are dumbasses.

cardken
03-17-2011, 05:53 PM
After I read this , I totally went to way of the Owners, F#$k these pampered bitches hope they don't get a thing.

Bugeater
03-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Well I'm a dumbass then.

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 05:58 PM
After I read this , I totally went to way of the Owners, F#$k these pampered bitches hope they don't get a thing.

yes, because sharing profits and not being willing to actually prove you are sharing profits is admirable.

Bwana
03-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Well I'm a dumbass then.

Yeah, that makes two of us. :hmmm:

Jaric
03-17-2011, 06:03 PM

That or they remember the day they taught about slavery in high school.

I'm pretty sure that running backs were not part of the triangle trade.

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Yeah, that makes two of us. :hmmm:

Slavery was an extreme word to use, yes.

Bwana
03-17-2011, 06:06 PM

Well yeah..........

Bugeater
03-17-2011, 06:08 PM
And so is "robbed". Give me a fucking break.

WebGem
03-17-2011, 06:09 PM
How does the amount of money NFL players make have anything to do with this?

Bugeater
03-17-2011, 06:10 PM
A better question is "what in the holy fuck does slavery have to do with this?"

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 06:10 PM
And so is "robbed". Give me a ****ing break.

If the owners are not willing to open books to show profit sharing... are they not? how do we know? the owners have said they have saved enough money to survive a lockout, but they are losing money?

Bugeater
03-17-2011, 06:11 PM
If the owners are not willing to open books to show profit sharing... are they not? how do we know? the owners have said they have saved enough money to survive a lockout, but they are losing money?
Do you know what the definition of "robbed" is?

-King-
03-17-2011, 06:11 PM

Look up the definition of slavery.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jaric
03-17-2011, 06:16 PM

Well since one of those NFL players thinks he's a slave it's fairly relevant.

You see Adrian Peterson is paid millions of dollars to play a game.

Slaves meanwhile were paid in... food. And would be beaten less if they worked extra hard.

So you see when Adrian Peterson thinks he's a slave, the fact that he makes millions of dollars to play a game is fairly relevant. Now, if Peterson was picking cotton against his will on a plantation, he would have a point.

I don't begrudge him a single dollar he makes. I have no problem with NFL players making whatever the market will bear.

I do have an issue with him calling himself a slave when he makes more money in a single year than 99% of the population will make in their entire lives. Being part of the top 1% of earners in the country pretty much voids your use of the "slave card."

Bugeater
03-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Hell I only make about .000001% of what AP makes and I wouldn't play the slave card.

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Do you know what the definition of "robbed" is?

If you lose something that should be yours, is that being robbed? The owners and players negotiated in good faith, the fact the owners are saying they are losing money but wont show the actual books, says they have something to hide.

But I am sure you would be ok with a business partner telling you he shared without proving it.

KCUnited
03-17-2011, 06:19 PM
What's slaves got to do, got to do with it...

Bwana
03-17-2011, 06:21 PM
On a side note, a good buddy of mine is a diehard Vikings fan. I have been leaving abusive messages on his phone about this for the last two days and he is dodging the calls. :) I'm sure it's just his "bad cell service, again."

Bugeater
03-17-2011, 06:22 PM
If you lose something that should be yours, is that being robbed? The owners and players negotiated in good faith, the fact the owners are saying they are losing money but wont show the actual books, says they have something to hide.

But I am sure you would be ok with a business partner telling you he shared without proving it.
No, if you never had it, you can't be "robbed" of it. And JFC they're not business partners.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 06:24 PM

Do owners in other professional leagues ask their players to make capitol investments in their business so they can build new stadiums and arenas (i.e., the $1.5 billion off the top of the revenues collected before sharing kicks in)?

No.

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 06:27 PM
No, if you never had it, you can't be "robbed" of it. And JFC they're not business partners.

LOL. Do you really have no idea what the CBA is? Yes, the players and owners split income. JFC. Seriously? Damn dude, there are plenty of threads that spill it out... you have commented in most of them, have you even read them?

el borracho
03-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Yeah. I remember reading how, back in the heyday of slavery, slaves would sit around in the off-season and tweet about profit sharing 9 billion dollars annually.

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 06:32 PM
And I haven't seen where the owners have said they are losing money.

They just aren't making what they think they should.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArrowheadMagic
Do owners in other professional leagues ask their players to make capitol investments in their business so they can build new stadiums and arenas (i.e., the $1.5 billion off the top of the revenues collected before sharing kicks in)?

No.

Their leagues arent as successful. And I really dont mind the owners trying to get more, but dont say your losing money when the evidence says you arent... At a minimum prove you are.

SAUTO
and I love it when threads spill it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Yeah. I remember reading how, back in the heyday of slavery, slaves would sit around in the off-season and tweet about profit sharing 9 billion dollars annually.

And i am sure if someone told you to drink antifreeze, you would.

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Their leagues arent as successful. And I really dont mind the owners trying to get more, but dont say your losing money when the evidence says you arent... At a minimum prove you are.
Again most realize the owners aren't actually losing money
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
03-17-2011, 06:34 PM
LOL. Do you really have no idea what the CBA is? Yes, the players and owners split income. JFC. Seriously? Damn dude, there are plenty of threads that spill it out... you have commented in most of them, have you even read them?
It's certainly not a traditional type of employee/owner relationship, but they're not partners by any stretch of the imagination. And this isn't about the CBA anyway, this is about AP putting his foot in his mouth. He's not a "slave", and he's not getting "robbed". End of fucking story.

DaneMcCloud

Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO

Jerry Jones: Well, we should be making hundreds of millions more!

Dan Sndyer: I've got an idea! Let's take more money off the top and reduce the percentage shared with the players.

The Other 31 NFL Owners: FUCK YEAH!

-------------------------

For the record, Jason, this is NOT what the owners have stated publicly.

You seriously need to spend more time reading about this topic.

el borracho
NFL-like abuse was also recorded in secret hieroglyphs in Tut's tomb by the Egyptian slaves. In fact, profit sharing and health care were the two biggest topics on ESPN Babylon. Well, that and whether or not Brett Favre was finally going to retire.

el borracho
03-17-2011, 06:35 PM
And i am sure if someone told you to drink antifreeze, you would.

Don't be so sure.

Bugeater
03-17-2011, 06:35 PM

Posted via Mobile Device
A lot of business owners don't make that distinction.

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 06:38 PM
LMAO

Dan Sndyer: I've got an idea! Let's take more money off the top and reduce the percentage shared with the players.

The Other 31 NFL Owners: **** YEAH!

lol

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Ok dane show me where they have stated publicly that they are in the red every year.

We all know they aren't losing money.
LMAO

The Other 31 NFL Owners: FUCK YEAH!

Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 06:41 PM
lol

Why don't you spill it out for me then funny guy
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 06:42 PM
Ok dane show me where they have stated publicly that they are in the red every year.

We all know they aren't losing money.

Posted via Mobile Device

JFC, you're completely clueless, Jason.

The REASON why Brady vs. The NFL went to court is simple:

The owners have stated that despite RECORD revenues ($9.3 BILLION for 2011 alone) that they could not continue as a league under the terms of the last CBA.

The players said "Prove it. Show us your financial records". The owners said "No".

Lawsuit. Simple as that.

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 06:42 PM
It's certainly not a traditional type of employee/owner relationship, but they're not partners by any stretch of the imagination. And this isn't about the CBA anyway, this is about AP putting his foot in his mouth. He's not a "slave", and he's not getting "robbed". End of ****ing story.

yes, they negotiated a 60/40 split of revenue after the owners took a bil off the top. thats profit sharing.

Yes, AP shouldnt be the spokesman of what used to be the NFLPA.

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 06:45 PM

The owners have stated that despite RECORD revenues ($9.3 BILLION for 2011 alone) that they could not continue as a league under the terms of the last CBA.

The players said "Prove it. Show us your financial records". The owners said "No".

Lawsuit. Simple as that.

Besides the point the players were willing to extend the current CBA. The players arent the ones asking for more money.

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Again where does that say they are actually losing money?

This is about their R.O.I. Period. JFC, you're completely clueless, Jason.

Lawsuit. Simple as that.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 06:49 PM

Lawsuit. Simple as that.

Not surprised by how many people are taking sides without knowing the facts.

KurtCobain
03-17-2011, 06:49 PM

This is about their R.O.I. Period.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was with you on the first couple of days of this shit, but at this point I feel like you're beating a dead horse.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 06:50 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Bullshit.

They've stated that they CANNOT continue as a business with the terms of the last CBA.

Seriously, you just need to stop posting and read about 100 fucking articles because you've had your dick pulled out your asshole repeatedly in all of these related threads.

You're completely clueless to the issues, yet you continue to chime in with worthless nonsense.

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 06:53 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

No return on investment has nothing to do with this. Their investments have returned. Maybe Jerry Jones has a different view, but not all owners build billion dollar stadiums. They want an extra billion off the top and then split 50/50 on revenue. so instead of players splitting 8 bil 60/40... owners want them to go 50/50 of 7 bil. so. thats 2 billion off the top for owners

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Ok dane.show me where the owners have publicly started they are losing money.

Bullshit.

They've stated that they CANNOT continue as a business with the terms of the last CBA.

Seriously, you just need to stop posting and read about 100 fucking articles because you've had your dick pulled out your asshole repeatedly in all of these related threads.

You're completely clueless to the issues, yet you continue to chime in with worthless nonsense.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 07:00 PM
I was with you on the first couple of days of this shit, but at this point I feel like you're beating a dead horse.
I am. But my points are valid no matter what dane says.

T arehere more expenses than players and admin.

The owners aren't losing money. They aren't getting back what THEY think they should.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 07:01 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

You're a fucking idiot

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 07:02 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

You do the search, they have stated they cant continue business under the current CBA. Dane cant do everything for you. JFC. Know what the fuck you are talking about. Stop being like most of the other motherfuckers on here. Just because they do it, doesnt mean you have to.

SAUTO
So you invest.make your money back and that's it?

Is about yearly R.O.I.

you as an invester expecta certain amount back on a consistent basis.No return on investment has nothing to do with this. Their investments have returned. Maybe Jerry Jones has a different view, but not all owners build billion dollar stadiums. They want an extra billion off the top and then split 50/50 on revenue. so instead of players splitting 8 bil 60/40... owners want them to go 50/50 of 7 bil. so. thats 2 billion off the top for owners
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
I am. But my points are valid no matter what dane says.

T arehere more expenses than players and admin.

The owners aren't losing money. They aren't getting back what THEY think they should.
Posted via Mobile Device

BULLSHIT.

YOU ARE COMPLETELY FULL OF FUCKING SHIT.

AS I've said SO MANY TIMES, PROVE YOUR STATEMENTS, MOTHERFUCKER!

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 07:03 PM
I have. Can't find anywhere they said that.

You do the search, they have stated they cant continue business under the current CBA. Dane cant do everything for you. JFC. Know what the fuck you are talking about. Stop being like most of the other motherfuckers on here. Just because they do it, doesnt mean you have to.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 07:03 PM

It's impossible to prove a point when the point has absolutely NO validity and NO merit.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 07:04 PM
I have. Can't find anywhere they said that.

Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO

www.google.com

JFC.

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 07:04 PM
they have otherbill s. Do uuuuu dispute that?BULLSHIT.

YOU ARE COMPLETELY FULL OF FUCKING SHIT.

AS I've said SO MANY TIMES, PROVE YOUR STATEMENTS, MOTHERFUCKER!

Posted via Mobile Device

AndChiefs
03-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Well since one of those NFL players thinks he's a slave it's fairly relevant.

You see Adrian Peterson is paid millions of dollars to play a game.

Slaves meanwhile were paid in... food. And would be beaten less if they worked extra hard.

So you see when Adrian Peterson thinks he's a slave, the fact that he makes millions of dollars to play a game is fairly relevant. Now, if Peterson was picking cotton against his will on a plantation, he would have a point.

I don't begrudge him a single dollar he makes. I have no problem with NFL players making whatever the market will bear.

I do have an issue with him calling himself a slave when he makes more money in a single year than 99% of the population will make in their entire lives. Being part of the top 1% of earners in the country pretty much voids your use of the "slave card."

Hey now don't sell them short. They also got paid in lodging.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 07:07 PM
they have otherbill s. Do uuuuu dispute that?
Posted via Mobile Device

Other bills?

LMAO

JFC, PLEASE research this topic. You appear more and more foolish with each passing day.

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 07:07 PM
So you invest.make your money back and that's it?

Is about yearly R.O.I.

you as an invester expecta certain amount back on a consistent basis.
Posted via Mobile Device

R.O.I isnt a concern of the owner of an NFL team. Not when when they control revenue of non sharable assets, i.e parking, concessions... advertising.

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Wow.

You claim they are making x amt of money.

Without taking into account of ANY overhead other than player and admin expense.

The amount you are claiming they make isn't right.

How can that not make sense?

Other bills?

LMAO

JFC, PLEASE research this topic. You appear more and more foolish with each passing day.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 07:13 PM
R.O.I isnt a concern of the owner of an NFL team. Not when when they control revenue of non sharable assets, i.e parking, concessions... advertising.
Lol.

You are insane if you believe that imo.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Lol.

You are insane if you believe that imo.
Posted via Mobile Device

the only thing covered in money shared is tv rights. teams keep other income.

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 07:20 PM

So do you think they just expect to break even from the tv contacts?

Fuck no.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
03-17-2011, 07:21 PM
iiorry gotta go. Band is starting.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
03-17-2011, 07:23 PM

That is incorrect.

The licence fee for NFL Licenced products is shared, and the gate for non luxury seating is split 60/40 between the two teams in a game.

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 07:23 PM

**** no.
Posted via Mobile Device

they get 1 billion off the top then 40%. and arent responsible for retired players HC. why do they need another billion plus 10%?

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 07:28 PM
That is incorrect.

The licence fee for NFL Licenced products is shared, and the gate for non luxury seating is split 60/40 between the two teams in a game.

was generalizing income split between all teams. didnt want to overload sauto's brain and kill his ROI dream.

Marcellus
03-17-2011, 08:17 PM
The bottom line is the courts will decide what is "fair".

I think the players are overpaid. Period. In baseball even more so, and in basketball just as much. In the end because of that we are paying the price at staduims. Feel free to disagree.

That being said the market sets the price and now because the owners and the players can't agree on what the market can bare the court will decide.

Neither side is right. the owners have as much to blame by inflating salaries going after players.

The 2 biggest travesties are the rookie wages and the pension plan.
Both will likely get fixed, players will still get paid and owners will still be rich.

Just get it done.

Bwana
03-17-2011, 08:23 PM
I may be a bad bad man, but at this point, I don't give a rats ass what they do. If they play, they play, if not, there is going to be a lot more dead pheasants, grouse, turkeys and geese around here. Do what you will guys, but spare me the fucking drama queen crap about the abuse and slavery, really.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 08:38 PM

Fuck no.
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO

PROVE IT.

Jesus Fucking Christ, you are the dumbest motherfucker to ever post on a football forum.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Wow.

You claim they are making x amt of money.

Without taking into account of ANY overhead other than player and admin expense.

The amount you are claiming they make isn't right.

How can that not make sense?

Posted via Mobile Device

Because you're fucking idiot. THAT'S why it doesn't make sense to you and probably NEVER will.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 08:41 PM
The bottom line is the courts will decide what is "fair".

I think the players are overpaid. Period. In baseball even more so, and in basketball just as much. In the end because of that we are paying the price at staduims. Feel free to disagree.

That being said the market sets the price and now because the owners and the players can't agree on what the market can bare the court will decide.

Neither side is right. the owners have as much to blame by inflating salaries going after players.

The 2 biggest travesties are the rookie wages and the pension plan.
Both will likely get fixed, players will still get paid and owners will still be rich.

Just get it done.

Wow, another person that has no clue.

:shake:

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 08:44 PM
I think the players are overpaid.

You player salaries to decrease? Fine.

Stop watching TV. Stop buying merchandise. Stop going to NFL games.

If a large contingent of people stop patronizing the NFL, revenues will decrease, as will player salaries.

It's pretty fucking simple.

-King-
03-17-2011, 08:44 PM

Fuck no.
Posted via Mobile Device

You think it costs much more than 9 billion to run the NFL?

Nine fucking Billion?

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 08:52 PM

Nine fucking Billion?

Dude, haven't you realized that it costs at least $100 million dollars a year to launder the clothes of 58 men?

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Thank god he's a Viking. Now we all know why he went to OU

Tradition? Ability to choose to play for a winner, instead of not having a choice and going to whomever chooses him?

HMc
03-17-2011, 09:54 PM
My view: remove the unionism and all the anti-competitive behaviour (salary cap, draft) and just have individual bargaining for players.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 09:56 PM
My view: remove the unionism and all the anti-competitive behaviour (salary cap, draft) and just have individual bargaining for players.

If that happened, it would become like baseball, where the wealthiest owners purchase the best players.

The league would lose its appeal to the fans very quickly in that scenario and its television revenue.

FAX
03-17-2011, 10:00 PM
If that happened, it would become like baseball, where the wealthiest owners purchase the best players.

The league would lose its appeal to the fans very quickly in that scenario and its television revenue.

Yeah, that's not a solution.

I've been trying to figure out an alternative to the draft so we can free some of these young millionaires from bondage. A lottery seems to be the only possible alternative ... kind of like the NBA does it (or used to, anyhow). But, you would have to have some kind of player veto power so they can have some sort of control over the team they join. If there's a lottery, maybe there's a wild card ball, or something with each player's name on it and, when that's selected, they get to choose their team and are awarded an automatic bingo.

It's either that, or do away with free agency entirely and, after the draft, each team gets to brand their logo on the players' buttocks.

FAX

HMc
03-17-2011, 10:06 PM

1. There are some that argue that expenditure is likely to approach revenues and are unlikely to regularly exceed that point. Owners still want to make a profit.

2. and isn't baseball relatively competitive these days? Is the worst team in baseball any worse off than the detroit lions have been under the NFL cartel system?

3. Haven't you argued recently that there are large expenditure differences in the nfl anyway? Haven't the redskins been spending a fortune for some time now and getting nowhere?

ArrowheadMagic
03-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah, that's not a solution.

I've been trying to figure out an alternative to the draft so we can free some of these young millionaires from bondage. A lottery seems to be the only possible alternative ... kind of like the NBA does it (or used to, anyhow). But, you would have to have some kind of player veto power so they can have some sort of control over the team they join. If there's a lottery, maybe there's a wild card ball, or something with each player's name on it and, when that's selected, they get to choose their team and are awarded an automatic bingo.

It's either that, or do away with free agency entirely and, after the draft, each team gets to brand their logo on the players' buttocks.

FAX

They choose their profession, shouldnt they be able to choose where they play at? most regular people get that choice.

HMc
03-17-2011, 10:14 PM
They choose their profession, shouldnt they be able to choose where they play at? most regular people get that choice.

They sign away that right when they sign the CBA because they appreciate competitive balance is a good thing for the game as a whole.

I'm pro cap and pro draft but I'm anti union. I do appreciate the need for oversight into cartel behaviour though and it seems like the NFL needs a CBA with the union to avoid that.

FAX
03-17-2011, 10:17 PM

The problem with allowing the players to select their team is that any semblance of parity goes out the tunnel under the floorboards. I don't think that would work very well in the long run. All the players would want to play in cities with the most media hype, car dealerships, and floozies. You could, I suppose have an auction instead of a draft, with the player going to the highest bidder. That might work and isn't reminiscent of slave trading at all, whatsoever. Especially if we put the player in a loin cloth and chain him to a post during the bidding.

FAX

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 10:18 PM
1. There are some that argue that expenditure is likely to approach revenues and are unlikely to regularly exceed that point. Owners still want to make a profit.

The owners are each earning hundreds of millions in revenues, they just don't want to share that data with the players because they'll want a bigger piece of the pie.

Unfortunately, the owners shot their wad and unless both parties can come to an agreement (which isn't likely), they'll be opening their books for everyone to see.

2. and isn't baseball relatively competitive these days? Is the worst team in baseball any worse off than the detroit lions have been under the NFL cartel system?

The Lions were not a bad team for lack of spending money but for bad decisions.

In MLB, every poor decision made by small market teams is extremely costly because television revenue isn't shared. So a few poor drafts or free agent signing doesn't affect the Yankees (who pull in $600 million per year in TV rights, more than CBS pays a year for AFC broadcast right) like it does small market teams.

The Lions were 6-10 this past season, just two seasons removed from 0-16. A team like the Royals hasn't been in the post season since 1985.

3. Haven't you argued recently that there are large expenditure differences in the nfl anyway? Haven't the redskins been spending a fortune for some time now and getting nowhere?

Expenditures? No. Revenue? Yes.

As I detailed in another thread, each NFL team, after paying its players and admin (and the admin was grossly over-estimated), each owner has a minimum of $110 million in gross revenues. That figure does not include luxury box, parking, pre-season or concession revenues. Preseason broadcast rights do not fall under the CBS, ABC, Fox, ESPN agreements, unless they're nationally broadcast preseason games.

As you can likely imagine, teams like Dallas, NY Giants, NY Jets, etc. have a larger amount of preseason television income than smaller market teams like the Chiefs, Cardinals, etc.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 10:21 PM
They sign away that right when they sign the CBA because they appreciate competitive balance is a good thing for the game as a whole.

I'm pro cap and pro draft but I'm anti union. I do appreciate the need for oversight into cartel behaviour though and it seems like the NFL needs a CBA with the union to avoid that.

I'm anti-union as well but I do understand the need. Before the 1970's, American professional athletes were poorly paid and the owners reaped the overwhelming majority of all of the revenues.

Without the unions and the courts, the owners continue to keep 90% of the revenues to themselves.

That much is clear.

HMc
03-17-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm anti-union as well but I do understand the need. Before the 1970's, American professional athletes were poorly paid and the owners reaped the overwhelming majority of all of the revenues.

Without the unions and the courts, the owners continue to keep 90% of the revenues to themselves.

That much is clear.

Hold on - didn't you say that in the absence of cartel behaviour and the union, player compensation would rise? This view is put forward in the Brady and ors lawsuit also.

DaneMcCloud
03-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Hold on - didn't you say that in the absence of cartel behaviour and the union, player compensation would rise? This view is put forward in the Brady and ors lawsuit also.

Yes, I think that player compensation will rise if the courts demand that the owners reveal their books to the players.

SAUTO
03-18-2011, 06:50 AM

Nine fucking Billion?

no. read the thread.

SAUTO
03-18-2011, 06:51 AM
LMAO

PROVE IT.

Jesus Fucking Christ, you are the dumbest motherfucker to ever post on a football forum.

fuck you dane.

prove what here?

the owners expect to MAKE MONEY off of the TV contract.

how is that even debatable?

SAUTO
03-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Dude, haven't you realized that it costs at least $100 million dollars a year to launder the clothes of 58 men?

lol, you are obviously not as fucking smart as you think you are.

where did i say that?

again for the guy who just cant get it.

there are other expenditures that are involved in owning a team above and beyond player and admin. contracts.

those expenditures take away from the bottom line.

so they arent making what you think they are by doing the math you have been doing.

how is this even debatable?

SAUTO
03-18-2011, 06:56 AM
was generalizing income split between all teams. didnt want to overload sauto's brain and kill his ROI dream.

so we hear that dane has invested some money that he gets a yearly ROI of 10-12%

you dont think the owners expect to get a similar %?

why else would they own a team?

they could hire dane's guy and get 10-12% sitting on their asses.

and 100 million is 10% of a billion.

how is this even debatable?

Jaric
03-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Hey now don't sell them short. They also got paid in lodging.

I stand corrected.

:D