PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Most intelligent bitch-slap ever?

DJ's left nut
03-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Grant Hill absolutely floored Jalen Rose in his response to the ESPN Documentary The Fab Five where Rose goes nuclear on Duke and their recruits.

This makes it very very difficult to hate Duke. Folks - this is the written equivalent of Casey dropping the hammer on that skinny aussy shit-stain.

Simply put - this is how you do it.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/grant-hills-response-to-jalen-rose/

I am a fan, friend and longtime competitor of the Fab Five. I have competed against Jalen Rose and Chris Webber since the age of 13. At Michigan, the Fab Five represented a cultural phenomenon that impacted the country in a permanent and positive way. The very idea of the Fab Five elicited pride and promise in much the same way the Georgetown teams did in the mid-1980s when I was in high school and idolized them. Their journey from youthful icons to successful men today is a road map for so many young, black men (and women) who saw their journey through the powerful documentary, “The Fab Five.”

It was a sad and somewhat pathetic turn of events, therefore, to see friends narrating this interesting documentary about their moment in time and calling me a bitch and worse, calling all black players at Duke “Uncle Toms” and, to some degree, disparaging my parents for their education, work ethic and commitment to each other and to me. I should have guessed there was something regrettable in the documentary when I received a Twitter apology from Jalen before its premiere. I am aware Jalen has gone to some length to explain his remarks about my family in numerous interviews, so I believe he has some admiration for them.

In his garbled but sweeping comment that Duke recruits only “black players that were ‘Uncle Toms,’ ” Jalen seems to change the usual meaning of those very vitriolic words into his own meaning, i.e., blacks from two-parent, middle-class families. He leaves us all guessing exactly what he believes today.

I am beyond fortunate to have two parents who are still working well into their 60s. They received great educations and use them every day. My parents taught me a personal ethic I try to live by and pass on to my children.

I come from a strong legacy of black Americans. My namesake, Henry Hill, my father’s father, was a day laborer in Baltimore. He could not read or write until he was taught to do so by my grandmother. His first present to my dad was a set of encyclopedias, which I now have. He wanted his only child, my father, to have a good education, so he made numerous sacrifices to see that he got an education, including attending Yale.

This is part of our great tradition as black Americans. We aspire for the best or better for our children and work hard to make that happen for them. Jalen’s mother is part of our great black tradition and made the same sacrifices for him.

My teammates at Duke — all of them, black and white — were a band of brothers who came together to play at the highest level for the best coach in basketball. I know most of the black players who preceded and followed me at Duke. They all contribute to our tradition of excellence on the court.

It is insulting and ignorant to suggest that men like Johnny Dawkins (coach at Stanford), Tommy Amaker (coach at Harvard), Billy King (general manager of the Nets), Tony Lang (coach of the Mitsubishi Diamond Dolphins in Japan), Thomas Hill (small-business owner in Texas), Jeff Capel (former coach at Oklahoma and Virginia Commonwealth), Kenny Blakeney (assistant coach at Harvard), Jay Williams (ESPN analyst), Shane Battier (Memphis Grizzlies) and Chris Duhon (Orlando Magic) ever sold out their race.

To hint that those who grew up in a household with a mother and father are somehow less black than those who did not is beyond ridiculous. All of us are extremely proud of the current Duke team, especially Nolan Smith. He was raised by his mother, plays in memory of his late father and carries himself with the pride and confidence that they instilled in him.

The sacrifice, the effort, the education and the friendships I experienced in my four years are cherished. The many Duke graduates I have met around the world are also my “family,” and they are a special group of people. A good education is a privilege.

Just as Jalen has founded a charter school in Michigan, we are expected to use our education to help others, to improve life for those who need our assistance and to use the excellent education we have received to better the world.

A highlight of my time at Duke was getting to know the great John Hope Franklin, John B. Duke Professor of History and the leading scholar of the last century on the total history of African-Americans in this country. His insights and perspectives contributed significantly to my overall development and helped me understand myself, my forefathers and my place in the world.

Ad ingenium faciendum, toward the building of character, is a phrase I recently heard. To me, it is the essence of an educational experience. Struggling, succeeding, trying again and having fun within a nurturing but competitive environment built character in all of us, including every black graduate of Duke.

My mother always says, “You can live without Chaucer and you can live without calculus, but you cannot make it in the wide, wide world without common sense.” As we get older, we understand the importance of these words. Adulthood is nothing but a series of choices: you can say yes or no, but you cannot avoid saying one or the other. In the end, those who are successful are those who adjust and adapt to the decisions they have made and make the best of them.

I caution my fabulous five friends to avoid stereotyping me and others they do not know in much the same way so many people stereotyped them back then for their appearance and swagger. I wish for you the restoration of the bond that made you friends, brothers and icons.

I am proud of my family. I am proud of my Duke championships and all my Duke teammates. And, I am proud I never lost a game against the Fab Five.

Grant Henry Hill

WebGem
03-16-2011, 01:08 PM
You're a moron.

BigCatDaddy
03-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Maybe I took it wrong watching it, but when Rose and King were speaking I thought they were saying what they thought of Duke when they were 18-19 year old kids. Not what they currently believe today. If so, I think Grant is going a little overboard with this.

DJJasonp
03-16-2011, 01:13 PM
The Fab Five understood 7 words in that response.

Buck
03-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Does anyone have a link to where I can watch or download that Fab Five? I missed it. Sounds pretty interesting based upon reading that letter.

WebGem
03-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Does anyone have a link to where I can watch or download that Fab Five? I missed it. Sounds pretty interesting based upon reading that letter.

I'm sure there's a link for it on thepiratebay.org

Buck
03-16-2011, 01:15 PM
I checked there and cant find it.

WebGem
03-16-2011, 01:16 PM
LOL @ saying this article makes it hard to hate Duke. Hell I don't even hate Duke, but this makes me wish I did. Why don't we talk about that Ricky Price situation?

Ebolapox
03-16-2011, 01:18 PM
TIMEOUT, TIMEOUT (/Chris Webber)

WebGem
03-16-2011, 01:19 PM
I checked there and cant find it.

That's really weird, they usually have all current stuff up. Uhhh, I dunno any other sites that aren't wrestling/mma only.

Demonpenz
03-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Grant Hill needs to explain to young kids how Kid and Play effected our culture.

Reaper16
03-16-2011, 01:21 PM
The effectiveness of this letter does not change my feelings towards Duke Basketball one bit.

Rooster
03-16-2011, 01:21 PM
The Fab Five understood 7 words in that response.

ROFLROFL

siberian khatru
03-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Heh, I just read that somewhere else and came here to see if anyone had posted it yet.

Kudos, DJ.

Crush
03-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Grant Hill needs to explain to young kids how Kid and Play effected our culture.

House Party 3 FTL

Saul Good
03-16-2011, 01:23 PM
The effectiveness of this letter does not change my feelings towards Duke Basketball one bit.

Me neither. I thought that they were smart, great at basketball, worked hard, and generally stayed out of the police blotters. I still think so.

Ebolapox
03-16-2011, 01:25 PM
yeah, I still hate duke. I'll acknowledge that they carry themselves well, but fark duke

cemkage
03-16-2011, 01:25 PM
I agree with demonpenz that Grant Hill do have some explanations to do.

Buck
03-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Well here it is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G3W2tgRqc4

BigCatDaddy
03-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Me neither. I thought that they were smart, great at basketball, worked hard, and generally stayed out of the police blotters. I still think so.

I also thought Bobby Hurley liked the butt sechs. I still think so to.

Saul Good
03-16-2011, 01:29 PM
I also thought Bobby Hurley liked the butt sechs. I still think so to.

He certainly fucked the fab 5 in the ass on multiple occasions.

“He (Jalen Rose) might have had a hard time hitting the floor, because he wouldn’t have taken my spot.”

“Jimmy King always thought I had no game. When I scored 26 on them, maybe that should have given King the hint.”

“There was a high level of bitterness,” Hurley said of the documentary. “Particularly directed at us.” Hurley wasn’t surprised, because Duke beat that team three times.

BigCatDaddy
03-16-2011, 01:35 PM
He certainly ****ed the fab 5 in the ass on multiple occasions.

“He (Jalen Rose) might have had a hard time hitting the floor, because he wouldn’t have taken my spot.”

“Jimmy King always thought I had no game. When I scored 26 on them, maybe that should have given King the hint.”

“There was a high level of bitterness,” Hurley said of the documentary. “Particularly directed at us.” Hurley wasn’t surprised, because Duke beat that team three times.

I don't remember if they gave him credit or not, but they did Laettner on the show as someone that they thought was over rated, but shocked the hell out of them.

Like I said a lot of the comments made on that show were their thoughts as 18 year old kids at Michigan, but props to Hurley on having some good college games against a team of Freshman.

Saul Good
03-16-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't remember if they gave him credit or not, but they did Laettner on the show as someone that they thought was over rated, but shocked the hell out of them.

Like I said a lot of the comments made on that show were their thoughts as 18 year old kids at Michigan, but props to Hurley on having some good college games against a team of Freshman.

I don't think Hurley played against them 3 times their Freshman season.

Saulbadguy
03-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Grant Hill drinks Sprite...!?

CHENZ A!
03-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Maybe I took it wrong watching it, but when Rose and King were speaking I thought they were saying what they thought of Duke when they were 18-19 year old kids. Not what they currently believe today. If so, I think Grant is going a little overboard with this.

I was about to say the same exact thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigCatDaddy
03-16-2011, 01:44 PM

I said 3?

BigCatDaddy
03-16-2011, 01:46 PM
I was about to say the same exact thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

If they watched it then I'm sure they know that. Sounds like some bitterness from the Duke guys, because those Fab 5 teams get more recognition now then those guys do despite not winning a national title; outside the realm of horse breeders anyways.

Demonpenz
03-16-2011, 01:46 PM
I thought Bob Knight's comments had a bit of racist undertones on the broadcast. Like "Durr these dumb blacks all pumpin their chests out, dat was the beginnin of not hard work and not stuff like Merica and cheese" Look at me, I stand for Merica yeah toss shit across the floor.

Saul Good
03-16-2011, 01:50 PM
I said 3?

No, but Hurley was 3-0 against them.

BigCatDaddy
03-16-2011, 01:51 PM
No, but Hurley was 3-0 against them.

By himself. Wow, nice job Bob.

Saul Good
03-16-2011, 01:53 PM
props to Hurley on having some good college games against a team of Freshman.

Pretty sure he didn't just have "some good college games against a team of Freshman. (sic)"

WebGem
03-16-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm not speaking on what the players have to say...I didn't say anything in the doc that I didn't say to a players FACE #fact

For those MOANING about how something or someone was portrayed in the doc note that it was FRAMED from 1991-1993 not 2011 #quit crying

Btw this is the last thing I will say/note about the Duke perception...on to the next! #Fab-Five

Jalen > Anything Duke, especially Grant Hill. And it really, really isn't even close. And this is coming from a Penn State fan that HATES Michigan and likes Duke due to hating UNC so much. Grant Hill's a ****in bitch.

BigCatDaddy
03-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Jalen > Anything Duke, especially Grant Hill. And it really, really isn't even close. And this is coming from a Penn State fan that HATES Michigan and likes Duke due to hating UNC so much. Grant Hill's a ****in bitch.

All those tweets were pretty obvious if you watched it so I'm suprised at the butt hurt from the old Dukies. It sounds like sour grapes.

BigCatDaddy
03-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Pretty sure he didn't just have "some good college games against a team of Freshman. (sic)"

I said just?

PunkinDrublic
03-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Those Duke teams weren't choir boys. I always thought Laetner was a dirty player. Fab 5 was the most overrated college basketball team of all time. I was a huge fan of Tarks 90 UNLV team that kicked the shit out of Duke and should have won back to back championships.

Skyy God
03-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Grant Hill's mom: You can live without Chaucer.....

Grant Hill: Don't stereotype me.

LULZ.

jettio
03-16-2011, 02:20 PM
I thought the documentary was worth watching. I think Jalen Rose is okay to talk about his perceptions as a kid because it is honest to say what he thought back then. He would be wrong to believe that now.

I was surprised to learn that Jalen Rose was the son of Jimmie Walker, who used to play for the Kansas City Kings, and that he was an absent father. I remember seeing him in Kansas City when he was a good NBA player and used to drive nice cars, but after his career he worked as a school janitor.

I never knew that he was also Jalen Rose's absent biological father, and I think that makes the fact that he was a talented athlete who was a college and NBA star but who may not have had to do much in the classroom even sadder.

Ironically, Chris Webber was recruited by Duke since he did attend Detroit's most prestigious private school on scholarship. Of the Fab 5, he has really proven to be the lowest character and biggest phony of the bunch.

The other 4 said that they considered Webber to be their brother and did not criticize him too directly, but Webber was the most talented, but least honorable of them and Duke recruited him and not the others because he went to a preppy school.

On the other hand, all college teams that are good enough to choose, recruit kids that they hope fit in.

I don't disagree with Grant Hill's statement and respect him and his family, but with the possible exception of Webber, the Fab 5 are okay also.

Rooster
03-16-2011, 02:23 PM
I was surprised to learn that Jalen Rose was the son of Jimmie Walker.

That surprises me too but it's DYNOMITE!!

BigCatDaddy
03-16-2011, 03:20 PM
So basically we can now conclude Grant Hill is a moron for bitching about something a 18 year old kid thought 20 years ago? Cool.

DTLB58
03-16-2011, 11:22 PM
So basically we can now conclude Grant Hill is a moron for bitching about something a 18 year old kid thought 20 years ago? Cool.

I really don't care either way, but if you got called out on National TV you might have a response also. At least Grant's was well thought out, and articulate. Not really what I would consider "bitching"

DaneMcCloud
03-16-2011, 11:24 PM

No, you're the moron for calling out Grant Hill for setting the record straight and being an outstanding citizen from Day One.

Tribal Warfare
03-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Grant Hill and Bobby Hurley were should've owned in the NBA, but horrible and unfortunate incidents prevented that.

BIG_DADDY
03-16-2011, 11:38 PM

Anything beats your take on Kobe and Phil.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-17-2011, 01:41 AM
I've actually thought for a couple of years that Grant Hill would be a very interesting candidate for political office.

BigCatDaddy
03-17-2011, 02:11 AM
No, you're the moron for calling out Grant Hill for setting the record straight and being an outstanding citizen from Day One.

Did you actually watch the show? It doesn't sound like it.

mikey23545
03-17-2011, 02:35 AM
All those tweets were pretty obvious if you watched it so I'm suprised at the butt hurt from the old Dukies. It sounds like sour grapes.

The Stupid is strong in this one, Obi Wan...

I sense only one source of butt hurt in this thread.

Perhaps Duke has crushed your team a few times too many.

BigCatDaddy
03-17-2011, 07:27 AM
The Stupid is strong in this one, Obi Wan...

I sense only one source of butt hurt in this thread.

Perhaps Duke has crushed your team a few times too many.

I was a fan of both teams back in the day, especially Laettener. I was more of an Anti-North Carolina guy back then when it came to good teams, since typically OU sucked after the King/Blacklock run. Read te bottom of the article. It's pretty plain everyone else gets that he saying what he thought as a 18 year old kid and not his feelings today. If someone today wrote an article to a paper(20 years after the fact) about a comment you made about how you felt as an 18 year you would think it's pretty stupid. I sure don't have the same views I did 13 year ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6224395