PDA

View Full Version : Poop A little Jerry Jones to lighten the Labor Talks

Okie_Apparition
03-16-2011, 10:34 PM
An air of uncertainty filled an upstairs conference room at the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service headquarters in downtown Washington on the morning of March 2. For the first time in 13 meetings with mediator George Cohen, the 10 owners on the NFL's labor committee were sitting across the negotiating table from the players on the union's executive committee.

Only one day remained before the expiration of the collective bargaining agreement, and everyone understood that a failure to find middle ground before 11:59 p.m. the next day would result in the league's first work stoppage since 1987.

Cohen began the session by giving each owner an opportunity to speak. Jerry Jones, never one to pass up center stage, tried to lighten the mood by talking of his upbringing and the business acumen that led to his purchase of the Cowboys 22 years ago. The tenor changed when he began discussing how two years of negotiations had failed to bring the sides closer. What he said next, with arched eyebrows, helped steer the situation past the point of no return.

"I don't think we've got your attention," Jones said to the players, several of whom recounted the incident to SI. "You clearly don't understand what we're saying, and we're not hearing what you're saying. So I guess we're going to have to show you to get your attention."

Jones tapped his fists together for emphasis—the players interpreted it as a sign that a lockout was coming—then stood and walked toward the door. As he reached the end of the table, Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, another labor hawk, began to rise, but Robert Kraft of the Patriots, who was sitting next to him, put a hand on Richardson's forearm and kept him from going.

If Jones's intention was to intimidate the players, he failed. "I think everybody in the room thought it was overly dramatic, almost hilarious," one player said. "It was like a Jerry Maguire moment. You know, 'I'm leaving. Who's coming with me?' I know it didn't scare any of us."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1183342/1/index.htm

SPchief
03-16-2011, 10:36 PM
This is BRAND NEW information

Titty Meat
03-16-2011, 10:37 PM
R

Okie_Apparition
03-16-2011, 10:39 PM
I should have known an article dated March, 21 2011 was old news.

teedubya
03-16-2011, 10:42 PM
This is BRAND NEW information

new to me.

DTLB58
03-16-2011, 10:54 PM
Jerry wants to be THE leader of all NFL Ownership but it's more a fantasy than reality.

I remember Robert Kraft saying at the SB, I think we can get this thing done in a week if we just have the business people in the room.

I think it sounds like to me there are way to many people in the negotiating room to begin with. You don't need 10-20 people from each side. That's why you have reps and then a clear cut #1 guy. Not everyone is going to get everything, the more people you ask, the more opinions you get also. 2-4 People in the room tops. Everyone else go home we will call you when we got a deal in place.

MoreLemonPledge
03-17-2011, 04:12 AM
I should have known an article dated March, 21 2011 was old news.

WHAT'S THE FUTURE LIKE

http://www.ebaychatter.com/the_chatter/images/2008/07/30/ebaychatterhoverboard_3.jpg