PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Automotive question/triva

JOhn
03-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Ok tonight while driving back from Thermopolis WY, a long drive, we had a question come up that no one could answer.

When & why did they stop putting the dimmer switch on the floor of Ford F150's, or all vehicles for that matter?

We had various theory's but no real answer...

It was cheaper to but them on the column
It was more expensive to replace if they moved (more $$ for the mechanics)
Some moron couldn't tell the difference between it and the brake, so they moved it for safety reasons?

My money's on the moron theory...

Buck
03-16-2011, 11:36 PM
The fuck is a dimmer switch? Is it that thing that makes your panel look less bright?

LiveSteam
03-16-2011, 11:37 PM
Side impact

MagicHef
03-16-2011, 11:46 PM
All the light controls in one place is a better ergonomic design.

Okie_Apparition
03-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Back in the old days the starter was down there. The old ****ers with Alzheimers would run their batteries down trying to start the vehicle with the dimmer switch.

HoneyBadger
03-16-2011, 11:59 PM
The real mystery is: what is in Thermopolis, WY?

JOhn
03-17-2011, 12:04 AM
All the light controls in one place is a better ergonomic design.

Yea I guess that might make sense. :hmmm:

JOhn
03-17-2011, 12:04 AM
The real mystery is: what is in Thermopolis, WY?

Some the best mineral hot springs in the world.. :thumb:

HoneyBadger
03-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Some the best mineral hot springs in the world.. :thumb:

Thanks for that. I'll keep that in mind if I'm ever in the neighborhood.

Rain Man
03-17-2011, 12:32 AM
my guess is that it used to be a physical connection, and the floorboard meant les wiring to the connection or less bulk on the steering column. when it became computer controlled the dims and brights became part of an integrated computer-managed system that can all be run from the same wiring.
Posted via Mobile Device

JD10367
03-17-2011, 07:32 AM
They also moved the emergency brake from a pedal on the floor on the left side to the handbrake in between the seats. Probably because people are stupid, and already too many of them drive with the "two-foot" method, and giving them multiple options down there just made things worse in an emergency.

Dartgod
03-17-2011, 07:43 AM
They also moved the emergency brake from a pedal on the floor on the left side to the handbrake in between the seats. Probably because people are stupid, and already too many of them drive with the "two-foot" method, and giving them multiple options down there just made things worse in an emergency.
There are plenty of models of cars that still have the emergency brake on a pedal under the dash.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frosty
03-17-2011, 07:49 AM

My '05 Silverado has a pedal for the emergency brake. I much prefer a hand brake, especially in a car with a manual transmission. My favorite set up is the dash mounted e-brake in my wife's '06 Honda CR-V since it doesn't take up any floor space.

BigMeatballDave
03-17-2011, 07:51 AM
There are plenty of models of cars that still have the emergency brake on a pedal under the dash.
Posted via Mobile DeviceYep. My last car, an '01 Grand Prix had it on the floor and my current car, '05 Ford 500 has it on the floor.