PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Texas Tech hires Billy Gillispie

Mr. Laz
03-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Updated: March 20, 2011, 1:49 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Texas Tech hires Billy Gillispie as new men's basketball coach

Billy Gillispie is returning to the Big 12 as coach of the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

Gillispie has agreed to a five-year contract, the school said Sunday in a news release.

"I am absolutely confident that he will lead our basketball program back to the national spotlight while positively representing our university," athletic director Kirby Hocutt said in the statement. "There are exciting years ahead for Red Raider basketball."

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal first reported Gillispie's hiring Sunday, which comes four days after the former Kentucky and Texas A&M coach interviewed with the newly installed Hocutt.

Texas Tech is a great school that is located in a great community and is part of one of the toughest conferences in the country. I can't wait to get started.

-- Billy Gillispie
Gillispie, who replaces Pat Knight, will be introduced at a news conference in Lubbock on Wednesday morning. Hocutt interviewed Gillispie on Wednesday in Palm Beach, Fla.

"Texas Tech is a great school that is located in a great community and is part of one of the toughest conferences in the country," Gillispie said in the statement. "I can't wait to get started."

Texas Tech said before the Big 12 tournament that Knight would not return next season and Knight publicly endorsed Gillispie for the job.

Gillispie, who also coached at Texas El-Paso, was fired at Kentucky after two tumultuous seasons.

He left Texas A&M to join the Wildcats, having led a sweeping turnaround in College Station that included back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances, with a trip to the Sweet 16 in 2007.

In 2009, Kentucky fired Gillispie after the Wildcats went 40-27 in two seasons but missed the NCAA tournament for the first time in 17 years.

John Calipari, the former Memphis coach, replaced him.

Five months later in August 2009, Gillispie was arrested on a drunken driving charge. In November 2009, he pleaded guilty to driving under the influence.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

KurtCobain
03-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Those Pecker Puffers.

BWillie
03-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Great, not good hire. Gillespie has a pipeline of takent in tx, good to see him back in the big 12

BigCatDaddy
03-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Damn, I wanted him at OU.

cardken
03-20-2011, 02:26 PM
He was a bust in Kentucky so have fun with that one.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Oh Tech and their love for alcoholics