PDA

View Full Version : Football Kickoffs up, touchbacks not, 3rd challenge, etc.

Chiefnj2
03-22-2011, 11:52 AM
NEW ORLEANS -- NFL owners voted to alter rules for kickoffs and instant replay next season but tabled a proposal that would have expanded language changes in the rule involving penalties against defenseless players.

Overall, four of the five proposals up for vote passed.

Blog: NFL Owners Meeting

ESPN.com's division bloggers have the NFL owners meeting in New Orleans covered. Blog

With changes suggested by 32 head coaches attending the NFL owners meetings, kickoffs will move from the 30 to the 35-yard line but adjustments were made in the proposal by the NFL competition committee.

Although the vote wasn't immediately revealed, the NFL owners voted for the kickoff change. With the input of coaches, though, the committee decided to allow return teams to have a two-man wedge. The committee proposal suggested the elimination of the two-man wedge, but coaches argued that would make it harder to have quality returns.

The other tradeoff by the committee to get the vote passed was not changing the spotting of a touchback. Touchbacks will still be spotted at the 20-yard line. The committee had suggested moving touchbacks to the 25.

The final element of the change in the kickoff rule was adjusting the running starts for the coverage teams before the kickoff. Before, coverage players could get a 10- to 15-yard start before the kicker makes contact with the ball. Under the new rule, coverage players will only get a 5-yard running start. That was what the competition committee had recommended.

The other major change involved instant replay. The booth replay official will now have to confirm all scoring plays, saving coaches from using challenges on plays in the end zone. To pass that proposal, the committee altered its suggestion by not changing the number of challenges for coaches. Now, coaches can make two challenges a game, but if they are correct on both, they would have access to a third challenge. The committee wanted to eliminate the third challenge.

In a surprising move, the NFL tabled the expanded language changes in the rule involving penalties against defenseless players. Last year, the NFL cracked down with heavy fines and possible suspension for hits on defenseless players. The competition committee wanted to spell out those rules with eight explanations of what would be considered finable hits on defenseless players.

Though that rule is expected to eventually pass, more time was needed for the language.

There were two other minor changes. Teams that wish to change the color of their field now require league approval. Though no team has suggested making a change to a blue or red field, the league wanted to be proactive and prevent that from happening without approval.

Another proposal that passed clears up the confusion on penalties for dead ball fouls. To make all dead ball fouls consistent, on penalties in that situation at the end of the half, the half will not be extended. Before there was confusion based on which unit committed the dead ball foul.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

lcarus
03-22-2011, 12:00 PM
I want a red field. Soaked in Bronco blood.

BigCatDaddy
03-22-2011, 12:08 PM
I guess they don't like KO returns. They moved it back in the first place because a team with a good kicker might not have kickoff returned against him for entire game.

HoneyBadger
03-22-2011, 12:10 PM
Rule changes for a non-existant league. Cool.

lcarus
03-22-2011, 12:17 PM
I wish they would do away with the extra point. Just automatically give the extra point. I'm tired of that whole dog and pony show that has a 99.9% success rate.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 12:18 PM
I guess they don't like KO returns. They moved it back in the first place because a team with a good kicker might not have kickoff returned against him for entire game.

Yeah, I don't understand that at all. Is it an injury prevention move? All it's going to do is double the number of touchbacks, which are the most boring play in football.

Phobia
03-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Rule changes for a non-existant league. Cool.

Yeah. I'm having trouble taking this news seriously right now too.

milkman
03-22-2011, 12:23 PM
I wish they would do away with the extra point. Just automatically give the extra point. I'm tired of that whole dog and pony show that has a 99.9% success rate.

I can't remember which game it was, but a team made a hell of a comeback and was set to tie a game that would have sent it into overtime, but the kicker missed the extra point just this last season.

It might be a dog and pony show, but it is a necessary dog and pony show.

Brock
03-22-2011, 12:24 PM
So they moved it from the 35 to the 30 to get more returns, now the've moved it back up to reduce returns?

milkman
03-22-2011, 12:26 PM
So they moved it from the 40 to the 30 to get more returns, now the've moved it back up a little to reduce returns?

Player safety.

lcarus
03-22-2011, 12:29 PM
I can't remember which game it was, but a team made a hell of a comeback and was set to tie a game that would have sent it into overtime, but the kicker missed the extra point just this last season.

I remember that. It was the Saints against someone. I remember the radio announcer. "Carney for the extra point NOOOOOO!O!!!!!!". I see your point but I wouldn't mind if they got rid of it.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 12:38 PM
I think they should move the extra point back to where it's a 90 to 95 percent rate. That'd add a little more excitement, though it would make kickers become hated and reviled throughout the league.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 12:40 PM
I remember that. It was the Saints against someone. I remember the radio announcer. "Carney for the extra point NOOOOOO!O!!!!!!". I see your point but I wouldn't mind if they got rid of it.

There was some play several years back where the Saints made some miracle play to score a last-second touchdown - one of those multiple lateral deals or something - and the touchdown got them within one, and then the kicker missed the extra point. Along with the Dwayne Rudd helmet game, it may have been the cruelest ending to a game in NFL history.

Anyone else remember that? It was hilarious if you weren't a Saints fan.

BigCatDaddy
03-22-2011, 12:40 PM
I think they should move the extra point back to where it's a 90 to 95 percent rate. That'd add a little more excitement, though it would make kickers become hated and reviled throughout the league.

I like mandatory 2's better.

lcarus
03-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Also with that Saints game, they make that amazing play to come back and they get screwed because of the kicker. Anything they can do to minimize kickers influence on the outcome of the game is perfectly fine by me.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Here's the play. And then they missed the extra point that would've tied it.

Maybe it's the play you're both remembering, but it wasn't this season. It was a while back.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/06LdqVfMBho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Amnorix
03-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm fine with mandatory twos, though I think it fundamentally changes the game ins ome ways.

I'm NOT fine wiht moving kickoffs back to the 35. The number of fair catches will become astronomical, and it will seriously degrade the value of kickoff return teams, and turn all offensive series into starting at the opposing 20, which is, historically speaking, very hard to score a TD from.

So you're making the game more boring in TWO ways -- first you're eliminating kickoff returns, a very exciting play, and second you're reducing the number of touchdowns scored throughout the NFL. Great...

Meanwhile, they want 18 games. :rolleyes:

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Here it is with the extra point. I would not have been easy to live with the rest of the afternoon if this had happened to the Chiefs.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kTGco82JKHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

milkman
03-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Here's the play. And then they missed the extra point that would've tied it.

Maybe it's the play you're both remembering, but it wasn't this season. It was a while back.

<IFRAME title="YouTube video player" height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/06LdqVfMBho" frameBorder=0 width=480 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

As I said, I can't remember what game, though I think it might have involved the Falcons.

But I am certain it was last season.

loochy
03-22-2011, 12:46 PM

That was the Dallas Cowboys. I forgot who they played though. I ROFLd so hard

Edit: I found it. It was the Cardinals on Christmas Day. After the missed PAT, the Cowboys were only up by 2 with 1:41 left. The Cardinals marched right down the field and hit a field goal for the win. Suck it.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/inslMyPflDU&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/inslMyPflDU&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Resulted in this:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/30l7aVm7XCc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man, those Cardinals fans are NOT loud. Arrowhead would be beyond nuts...

BigCatDaddy
03-22-2011, 12:46 PM
As I said, I can't remember what game, though I think it might have involved the Falcons.

But I am certain it was last season.

Hartley missed a 20 yard field goal or something like that to tie or win the game this year. That's the only thing similar that I remember.

milkman
03-22-2011, 12:47 PM
That was the Dallas Cowboys. I forgot who they played though. I ROFLd so hard

OK, that has a familar ring.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Oh! Here's a good rule change regarding extra points. The length of the extra point is inversely proportional to the distance of the touchdown.

If you score from 40+ yards out, the EP is kicked from the 2 (2 point conversion from the 1)
If you score from 30-39 yards out, it's kicked from the 5 (2 point conversion from the 2)
If you score from 20-29 yards out, it's kicked from the 10 (2 point conversion from the 3)
If you score from 10-19 yards out, it's kicked from the 20 (2 point conversion from the 4)
If you score from 5-9 yards out, it's kicked from the 25 (2 point conversion from the 5)
If you score from 1-4 yards out, it's kicked from the 30 (2 point conversion from the 6)

It promotes more aggressive playcalling and adds some drama to extra points.

philfree
03-22-2011, 01:01 PM
The kickoff rule changes sucks. One thing I could see happening though is having your kicker try and float high kicks that land inside the 10 like a punter does. With 5 yards less to run down the field the defenders should get there a little earlier so maybe there will be more decision making in that area with the returnmen being tackled inside the 20 yard line. Or god forbid fair catches on Kickoffs. There could also be a few more turn overs on kickoffs if that strategy is applied. Big time returns will become a thing of the past though and that sucks.

PhilFree:arrow:

Chiefnj2
03-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Player safety.

With all the fines and hits last year, off the top of my head I can't recall one being on a kickoff return.

BigCatDaddy
03-22-2011, 01:56 PM
With all the fines and hits last year, off the top of my head I can't recall one being on a kickoff return.

Just the one for the Jets strength coach.

Nevermind. I think that was a punt.

DTLB58
03-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Seriously, if they are this concerned about player safety on kickoffs then they might as well just place the ball at the 20-30 yard line every time.
The kickoff is going to become like the extra point always made, always a touch back = boring.

I'm for what some have mentioned already, do away with the XP and make going for 2 mandatory. Before college does it.

Demonpenz
03-22-2011, 03:17 PM
anything that keeps mcluster from getting the ball is good

Demonpenz
03-22-2011, 03:18 PM
mclackluster

Rasputin
03-22-2011, 03:37 PM
IMO, up untill Roger Goodel took over the comish job the NFL was doing real good and the game was keeping it's integrity. Now they keep fucking with it and it is loosing it's burst. I'm not going to stop being a fan and I will forever love my Chiefs. Yet I am getting flusterated with the bull shiite they are shoving down our throats. The game has been played and worked for this long so far with out a bunch of panzy rule changes.

They should leave the kick offs as is so special teams are indeed special.

Yea, players get hurt thus life of NFL player. They get compinsated pretty good for the risk that is involved.

Rasputin
03-22-2011, 03:38 PM
anything that keeps mcluster from getting the ball is good

Wrong. Getting the ball to Mcluster in open space is a good thing.

milkman
03-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Just the one for the Jets strength coach.

Nevermind. I think that was a punt.

The players accused the league of being two faced in their negotiations, bringing up the 18 game schedule and saying that flies in the face of the league saying they are concerned about player safety.

The league can point to this and say "Hey, you don't think we're concerned with player safety? We put this in just to cut down on injuries".

IMO, up untill Roger Goodel took over the comish job the NFL was doing real good and the game was keeping it's integrity. Now they keep ****ing with it and it is loosing it's burst. I'm not going to stop being a fan and I will forever love my Chiefs. Yet I am getting flusterated with the bull shiite they are shoving down our throats. The game has been played and worked for this long so far with out a bunch of panzy rule changes.

They should leave the kick offs as is so special teams are indeed special.

Yea, players get hurt thus life of NFL player. They get compinsated pretty good for the risk that is involved.

The league has been changing rules for as long as I can remember.
Most have come at the expense of defense, going as far back as the 70s when they made the use of hands for blocking legal.

For a guy that loves watching great defense, it sucks to watch the offenses get the upper hand they way they have, but I also recognize that the proliferation of offense and scoring has grown the game into the juggernaut it has become.

Rasputin
03-22-2011, 04:30 PM
The players accused the league of being two faced in their negotiations, bringing up the 18 game schedule and saying that flies in the face of the league saying they are concerned about player safety.

The league can point to this and say "Hey, you don't think we're concerned with player safety? We put this in just to cut down on injuries".

Most have come at the expense of defense, going as far back as the 70s when they made the use of hands for blocking legal.

For a guy that loves watching great defense, it sucks to watch the offenses get the upper hand they way they have, but I also recognize that the proliferation of offense and scoring has grown the game into the juggernaut it has become.

I agree with this. Just seems like they keep pussyfiling the game and the game suffers from it. I too love watching great defenses shut down offenses making it a stratigic game of chess.

the Talking Can
03-22-2011, 04:32 PM
good thing we spent 2 seconds on kick returners

-King-
03-22-2011, 04:32 PM

What did they used to use to block before then?

milkman
03-22-2011, 04:36 PM
What did they used to use to block before then?

Back in the day, you were required to keep your hands inside your frame and use your body and arms.

Discuss Thrower
03-22-2011, 04:55 PM
good thing we spent 2 seconds on kick returners

Yuuuuuup.

tk13
03-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Chris Mortensen says the competition committee actually had a discussion about eliminating kickoffs and just putting the ball on the 25 yard line.

Hammock Parties
03-22-2011, 10:20 PM
I sure am glad we spent two second round picks on kick returners.

OnTheWarpath15
03-22-2011, 10:22 PM
This is the game Milkman was thinking of.

You're all welcome.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zHRsvMOah-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

crossbow
03-23-2011, 06:37 AM
I sure am glad we spent two second round picks on kick returners.

Ouch !

Good point, can we trade those guys in or get our picks back?

Chiefnj2
03-23-2011, 07:11 AM
I wish someone in the media would ask the committee the question of how many head injuries there were on kickoffs the last few years.

I really doubt safety is the reason. Do they want QBs throwing for more yards?

durtyrute
03-23-2011, 09:21 AM
They don't want to change the defenseless player bullshit just so they can keep getting that money from the fines

Luke
03-23-2011, 10:44 AM
rainman may be on to a good idea. A friend of mine suggests the length of the field effect how many points are scored. Similar to 3 point shots in basketball. any field goal made beyond the 50 yard line is 4 points. Under 20 yards 1 point.

It does however seem odd that the NFL is changing rules at this point in time. It may all be a moot point if there is a lockout. I hope football does not go the way of baseball. Afterall is said and done it is still just entertainment.

chopper
03-23-2011, 12:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/19408/closer-look-at-kickoff-rule-change
Possible 40% touchback rate this year. Don't know how to link from phone.
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
03-23-2011, 07:40 PM
I wish someone in the media would ask the committee the question of how many head injuries there were on kickoffs the last few years.

I really doubt safety is the reason. Do they want QBs throwing for more yards?

The players accused the owners of not actually caring about player safety because they (the onwers) want to add 2 games to the schedule.

The owners now have this rule, which hasn't even been whispered at prior to this, as proof they do care about player safety.