PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 2, Heat 1

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 03:51 PM
And now, ladies and gentlemen, the excreted solid waste gets real.

On the first-round heats, we ended up with 101 songs moving on. In order to round out the field to an even multiple of 8, I took the three fourth-place songs with the narrowest margin of loss, and they will squeak into Round 2. Those three songs are:

Hotel California, The Eagles
Seven Nation Army, The White Stripes
Johnny B. Goode, Chuck Berry

Round 2 will have 13 heats of 8 songs each. Same rules apply as in Round 1. All heat placements are random with no conspiracies afoot.

As a bit of trivia, these performers are entering the second round, bringing the number of songs shown:

AC/DC 6
Guns N Roses 6
the Beatles 5
Aerosmith 3
Boston 3
Led Zeppelin 3
Metallica 3
Pink Floyd 3
Queen 3
Rolling Stones 3
The Who 3
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 3
Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band 2
Creedence Clearwater Revival 2
Deep Purple 2
Elton John 2
Jimi Hendrix 2
Kansas 2
Lynyrd Skynyrd 2
Neil Young 2
Nirvana 2
The Doors 2
Alice in Chains 1
Beach Boys 1
Bill Haley 1
Billy Joel 1
Black Sabbath 1
Bob Dylan 1
Bob Seger 1
Cheap Trick 1
Chuck Berry 1
Derek and the Dominoes 1
Don McLean 1
Dusty Springfield 1
Eagles 1
Eric Clapton 1
Jerry Lee Lewis 1
Jethro Tull 1
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts 1
Joe Walsh 1
Kiss 1
Meat Loaf 1
Motley Crue 1
Nazareth 1
Ozzy Osbourne* 1
Paul McCartney 1
Pearl Jam 1
Rage Against the Machine 1
REM 1
Rush 1
Smashing Pumpkins 1
Stone Temple Pilots 1
Ted Nugent 1
The Clash 1
The Cult 1
The Guess Who 1
The Troggs 1
The White Stripes 1
U2 1
Van Halen 1
Warren Zevon 1
ZZTop 1

And now we move on, and may God have mercy upon your rock-loving souls as you make the difficult decisions that will be required of you.

raybec 4
03-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Dylan and Springsteen get 50 nominations each and only get three songs through combined. That's too bad.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Springsteen is far and away the most underrepresented artist here. I figured at least 10 of his would get through.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 03:59 PM
For this round, I'm going to switch to a ranking system, listing my preferences in descending order. Here are mine:

American Pie, Don McLean - Easy #1 vote here. And yes, it's rock and roll. It even includes the term in the lyrics.

Great Balls O Fire, Jerry Lee Lewis - #2 vote for me. It's a classic.

It's a Long way to the Top, AC/DC - #3 vote. As much as I make fun of the AC/DC consortium, this really is the third-best song in the heat. I have to be honest.

We Are the Champions, Queen - I like this song, but it's not my favorite Queen song and it's not rockin' enough to get my vote in the second round.

Another Brick in the Wall, Pink Floyd - See above. It's a fine song, but doesn't make the cut.

Seven Nation Army, The White Stripes - Best of the three laggards in this heat.

Welcome to the Jungle, Guns N Roses - It beats Metallica, and that's the best I can say in this heat.

Master of Puppets, Metallica - Noise.

Rasputin
03-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Looks like a whole lott of Rosie going on

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sMHihBqkxJI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sMHihBqkxJI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Frazod
03-22-2011, 04:06 PM
May Bob Dylan and his screeching, horrible voice burn in the deepest, hottest pit of hell. 1,000 songs nominated ONE advances. HA. 4321

Rasputin
03-22-2011, 04:13 PM
If ya wanted Bob Dylans song to move on, should have gone with GNR

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VV24HYEr-wQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VV24HYEr-wQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

' give us some reggae '

Bump
03-22-2011, 04:14 PM
shit just got real

Bugeater
03-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Why isn't this AC/DC song running away with the vote? It's the only good one there is.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Why isn't this AC/DC song running away with the vote? It's the only good one there is.

That's my thinking, too. I even voted for it.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 04:19 PM
shit just got real

I like how you turn a phrase.

patteeu
03-22-2011, 04:22 PM
#1 Don McLean, one hit wonder
#2 AC/DC, aussie rockers
#3 Jerry Lee Lewis, audiophile

Raiderhater58
03-22-2011, 04:23 PM
May Bob Dylan and his screeching, horrible voice burn in the deepest, hottest pit of hell. 1,000 songs nominated ONE advances. HA. 4321

This :toast:

KurtCobain
Dylan and Springsteen get 50 nominations each and only get three songs through combined. That's too bad.

Nirvana had two nominations and got two in.

patteeu
I like GnR's covers better than their original songs.

patteeu
03-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Nirvana had two nominations and got two in.

Kurt Cobain was pretty efficient. Two songs in, two move on. One shotgun shell, two holes in his head.

Reaper16
03-22-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm not voting for "Master of Puppets" because it isn't a rock song. But Rain Man -- c'mon, guy. Noise? It's totally fine to not like metal, but calling that song "noise" is a terribly unfair assessment. It's easily the most complex song in the heat. That song is tremendously musically accomplished. If you can't hear the classical music aspect of metal music shining through loud and clear on "Master of Puppets" then you really aren't listening to the best of your ability to.

KurtCobain
03-22-2011, 04:27 PM
shit just got real

No kidding.

This shit just got crazy. I'm not voting for American Pie because some of my favorites are on here and it's gonna get plenty of vote anyways.

Voting for Welcome to the Jungle. Why? It rocks.

Voting for Seven Nation Army because it runs shit and deserves to fight with the big dogs.

And Master of Puppets is probably my second favorite song ever. Fucking art man.

Reaper16
03-22-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm voting "We Are the Champions," "Welcome to the Jungle," and "Seven Nation Army."

patteeu
03-22-2011, 04:30 PM
No kidding.

This shit just got crazy. I'm not voting for American Pie because some of my favorites are on here and it's gonna get plenty of vote anyways.

Voting for Welcome to the Jungle. Why? It rocks.

Voting for Seven Nation Army because it runs shit and deserves to fight with the big dogs.

And Master of Puppets is probably my second favorite song ever. ****ing art man.

Boo. If American Pie loses by one vote, I'll never forgive you.

I agree that Master of Puppets is worthy here, but Welcome to the Jungle? You know what that song's about don't you?

KurtCobain
03-22-2011, 04:33 PM
Boo. If American Pie loses by one vote, I'll never forgive you.

I agree that Master of Puppets is worthy here, but Welcome to the Jungle? You know what that song's about don't you?

LA, right? I like it because it was great to play Tony Hawk to back in the days of puberty. Memories, man.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm not voting for "Master of Puppets" because it isn't a rock song. But Rain Man -- c'mon, guy. Noise? It's totally fine to not like metal, but calling that song "noise" is a terribly unfair assessment. It's easily the most complex song in the heat. That song is tremendously musically accomplished. If you can't hear the classical music aspect of metal music shining through loud and clear on "Master of Puppets" then you really aren't listening to the best of your ability to.

I'm listening to it again and I can move it up to 7th, maybe even 6th, as long as you'll give me a top-three vote for the two Springsteen songs when they come up. Deal?

KurtCobain
03-22-2011, 04:35 PM
:spock:And didn't you vote for great balls of fire?

patteeu
03-22-2011, 04:35 PM
LA, right? I like it because it was great to play Tony Hawk to back in the days of puberty. Memories, man.

What I'm hearing here is that you were attracted to Tony Hawk as a young teen. NTTAWWT

KurtCobain
03-22-2011, 04:36 PM
What I'm hearing here is that you were attracted to Tony Hawk as a young teen. NTTAWWT

I played him for hours.

patteeu
03-22-2011, 04:37 PM
I played him for hours.

I'm sure you did. I played Olivia Newton John and the cute sister from Heart.

Reaper16
03-22-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm listening to it again and I can move it up to 7th, maybe even 6th, as long as you'll give me a top-three vote for the two Springsteen songs when they come up. Deal?
No deal! "Master of Puppets" shouldn't be voted for at all! It's a metal song, not a rock song!

KurtCobain
03-22-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm sure you did. I played Olivia Newton John and the cute sister from Heart.

Sometimes I played with Bam Margera or the Fat Uncle in his underwear.

Chief Chief
03-22-2011, 04:40 PM
OK, Rain Main, hear me out: Ya got 13 heats goin' down in Round 2, which means we'll be down to 39 tunes in Round 3. How's that gonna play out? Talk to me, RM; tell me somethin' good...tell me, tell me, tell me...

KurtCobain
03-22-2011, 04:41 PM
He's gonna take one fourth. American Pie.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 04:42 PM
OK, Rain Main, hear me out: Ya got 13 heats goin' down in Round 2, which means we'll be down to 39 tunes in Round 3. How's that gonna play out? Talk to me, RM; tell me somethin' good...tell me, tell me, tell me...

Glad you asked. Depending on if we have any ties or anything, we'll bring in the fourth place song(s) with the narrowest margin of defeat to fill in the final heat of eight. The odds are that we'll only need one song to get to 40 unless somehow a suckage cutoff happens or we end up with multiple ties for the third place spot.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 04:43 PM
This is a pretty competitive heat. We are the Champions jumped out to a sizable early lead, and now it's in fourth.

Rasputin
03-22-2011, 04:51 PM

GNR had there own brash style creating IMO the single greatest rock n roll album of all time, Appitite For Distruction. They also gave tribute to the music that influenced them and gave homage with the Spahgetti Incident.

It's unfortunate that the band "decertified" and went in differant directions.

I do like the new GNR, but it's not the same as the original cast. Just not the same. Sad.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 05:28 PM
I still can't figure out why Ozzy Osbourne gets an asterisk. It's not something I'm doing.

Rasputin
03-22-2011, 05:37 PM
I still can't figure out why Ozzy Osbourne gets an asterisk. It's not something I'm doing.

Ozzy Osbourne asterisk, weird

Gadzooks
03-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Ozzy Osbourne* 1

I thought we determined that Ozzy has done every drug with the exception of steroids. I smell a conspiracy...

Easy 6
03-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Without reading a post, i'd bet many have finally found a true brain bomb.

Too many great choices.

blaise
03-22-2011, 05:48 PM

Satan does it.

blaise
03-22-2011, 05:50 PM
I've seen 11 of the final list of bands live. I wish that number were higher.

Frazod
03-22-2011, 05:54 PM
I've seen 11 of the final list of bands live. I wish that number were higher.

I've seen 11 of them (if you count Crosby Still Nash and Young for Neil Young and Damn Yankees for Ted). Wish that number was lower, since one of them is Bob Dylan. :#

patteeu
03-22-2011, 05:56 PM
I've seen 10 of them. Wish that number was lower, since one of them is Bob Dylan. :#

LMAO

Rasputin
03-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Bet if GNRs You Could be Mine was nominated they would have had 7 move on. I tried to nominate it in the extra nomination poll but I changed it from the first listing and put Sammie Kenison song instead. So it didn't get the nom.

Rasputin
03-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Alice Cooper WTF wanted him to get a nom too. Schools Out is a great freaking song.

blaise
03-22-2011, 05:58 PM
I've seen 10 of them. Wish that number was lower, since one of them is Bob Dylan. :#

I could have seen Nirvana for like $10. They came to my school a year or so before Cobain died, but I went to the bars or something instead. I should have gone.

seclark
03-22-2011, 06:09 PM
i'll defer to my expert assistant:

blaise
03-22-2011, 06:10 PM
i'll defer to my expert assistant:

He always votes for Funky Town.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Dammit. American Pie is suddenly in fourth place. Pedal faster, everyone!

Bump
03-22-2011, 06:17 PM
I think the White Stripes deserve more love, Jack White is a hell of a musician and it's just 2 PEOPLE making all that sound.

Frazod
03-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Of the bands I never saw that are on this list, the biggest regrets are Boston (had tickets once, but the show got cancelled due to an injury), Queen and Pink Floyd.

Predarat
03-22-2011, 06:22 PM
The thing I love about Seven Nation Army is it is fairly unique, its not cookie cutter corporate laden crap. So it is one of my votes for sure!

blaise
03-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Of the bands I never saw that are on this list, the biggest regrets are Boston (had tickets once, but the show got cancelled due to an injury), Queen and Pink Floyd.

I saw Pink Floyd in 1994 at Yankee Stadium. The one I wish I'd seen the most is maybe The Clash. You're right, though, I bet Queen would have been good.

patteeu
03-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Dammit. American Pie is suddenly in fourth place. Pedal faster, everyone!

I'm about ready to declare a mispoll which, for those of you unfamiliar with the rules of this contest, would mean we have to start round 1 all over. So text your friends and call in some favors if you have to to get some votes for American Pie. No one wants to have to do this thing all over again.

Frazod
03-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Hopefully one day Gilmour and Waters will get over their butthurt and get the band back together. I understand they'll at least appear on stage together now randomly.

As for Boston and Queen now, without Delp and Mercury, I have no interest. :(

patteeu
03-22-2011, 06:35 PM
I've lost most of my interest in seeing big arena shows. I guess I'd be interested in seeing several of these bands if they played a club or a smallish venue, but otherwise, I'll stick with less known bands who haven't hit the bigtime. I'd probably want to see Tom Petty or REM the most of the remaining artists (considering the age and deceased members of some of the bands).

Deberg_1990
03-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Im sure this has been discussed, but ive just now started showing interest in these threads.....

Where did the "Rock" line get drawn? Its obviously a pretty broad category...

I mean, Madonna and Cher had a few harder hitting songs than American Pie, and she in fact remade it.....

Bugeater
03-22-2011, 06:49 PM
I've lost most of my interest in seeing big arena shows. I guess I'd be interested in seeing several of these bands if they played a club or a smallish venue, but otherwise, I'll stick with less known bands who haven't hit the bigtime. I'd probably want to see Tom Petty or REM the most of the remaining artists (considering the age and deceased members of some of the bands).
Bleh, I always heard people say how great Petty was in concert, so I finally went to see him and I thought he was pretty mediocre.

Reaper16
03-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Im sure this has been discussed, but ive just now started showing interest in these threads.....

I mean, Madonna and Cher had a few harder hitting songs than American Pie, and she in fact remade it.....
Rock in this poll apparently means any non-rap song, non-country song. Rock is a very wide open genre of music, though.

Bleh, I always heard people say how great Petty was in concert, so I finally went to see him and I thought he was pretty mediocre.
When?

Deberg_1990
03-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Rock in this poll apparently means any non-rap song, non-country song. Rock is a very wide open genre of music, though.

Oh, i agree......I could have added in a few Michael Jackson songs that i think are pretty great.

But honesty when i think of Rock, i think of Bands, not solo acts.

KurtCobain
03-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Oh, i agree......I could have added in a few Michael Jackson songs that i think are pretty great.

But honesty when i think of Rock, i think of Bands, not solo acts.

No Marilyn Manson for you?

patteeu
03-22-2011, 06:59 PM

The rule is that if it's been in the game Rock Band or if it's played by Don McLean, it's rock and therefore eligible for the competition. And if it's in the catalogue of Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, or Guns n Roses, it's automatically in the competition.

Bugeater
03-22-2011, 06:59 PM
When?
93 or 94 maybe? He had a big fucking tree on the stage if that helps.

Reaper16
03-22-2011, 07:01 PM
The rule is that if it's been in the game Rock Band or if it's played by Don McLean, it's rock and therefore eligible for the competition. And if it's in the catalogue of Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, or Guns n Roses, it's automatically in the competition.
If it's in Rock Band? Man, that's a terrible, terrible rule.

patteeu
03-22-2011, 07:01 PM
If it's in Rock Band? Man, that's a terrible, terrible rule.

I could blame Rain Man or BigRedChief since it's all their fault, but instead I take full responsibility.

Reaper16
03-22-2011, 07:03 PM
93 or 94 maybe? He had a big fucking tree on the stage if that helps.
The band had some tension in it around that time, IIRC. Their bassist was losing himself on drugs, and some of the band was upset at the Petty solo albums making The Heartbreakers a back-burner project for Petty.

I've only seen him in the 2000's. I saw him three times, and each time was phenomenal.

Reaper16
03-22-2011, 07:03 PM
I could blame Rain Man or BigRedChief since it's all their fault, but instead I take full responsibility.
Nah, blame Rain Man.

Deberg_1990
03-22-2011, 07:04 PM
No Marilyn Manson for you?

No Billy Idol for you? heh, obviously the lines can get blurred....

Bugeater
03-22-2011, 07:18 PM
The band had some tension in it around that time, IIRC. Their bassist was losing himself on drugs, and some of the band was upset at the Petty solo albums making The Heartbreakers a back-burner project for Petty.

I've only seen him in the 2000's. I saw him three times, and each time was phenomenal.
Actually, after doing some digging, I'm thinking it must have been the Into the Great Wide Open tour in 1991. It probably didn't help that that album pretty much sucked.

Deberg_1990
03-22-2011, 07:24 PM
It probably didn't help that that album pretty much sucked.

What? I thought that was a pretty strong CD.

Bugeater
03-22-2011, 07:32 PM
What? I thought that was a pretty strong CD.
Just never cared that much for it. :shrug:

Reaper16
03-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I like Into the Great Wide Open a lot. But then, I like nearly everything that Petty & The Heartbreakers have put out.

Deberg_1990
03-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I like Into the Great Wide Open a lot. But then, I like nearly everything that Petty & The Heartbreakers have put out.

yea, i even like some of his oddball stuff..like when he did the soundtrack to that Edward Burns movie Shes the One.

Pitt Gorilla
03-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Good heat, but Puppets should clearly move on.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 08:48 PM
You know what's ironic? If American Pie loses out to Guns N Roses and Metallica, it really will be the day the music died.

Chiefburger
03-22-2011, 08:51 PM
OBJECTION! Rainman -- can I call you Rainman? --I urge you to keep this poll open for as long as it takes American Pie to return to a top-three spot. Master of Puppets? Seriously? American Pie IS Master of Puppets if cranked to 11, sped up and blasted inside a tub you bathed in.

my picks: AP. Welcome to the Jungle. We are the Champs.

patteeu
03-22-2011, 08:55 PM
OBJECTION! Rainman -- can I call you Rainman? --I urge you to keep this poll open for as long as it takes American Pie to return to a top-three spot. Master of Puppets? Seriously? American Pie IS Master of Puppets if cranked to 11, sped up and blasted inside a tub you bathed in.

You've driven another couple of nails into American Pie's coffin with this vote.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 09:07 PM
American Pie is rallying, with two recent votes. When the playas try to take the field, our marching band refuses to yield.

cdcox
03-22-2011, 09:13 PM
You know what's ironic? If American Pie loses out to Guns N Roses and Metallica, it really will be the day the music died.

Yeah if this happens you should just B-17 this contest.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 09:16 PM

It's two words. Rain Man. It's a family name.

The courtroom is adjourned. No verdict will be returned. That is, until American Pie is atop the heap.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Yeah if this happens you should just B-17 this contest.

Like three crippled engines over Schweinfurt.

RJ
03-22-2011, 09:22 PM
WTF is going on here? Have you people lost your minds?

Chiefburger
03-22-2011, 09:49 PM
You've driven another couple of nails into American Pie's coffin with this vote.

Actually, I voted earlier, long before this poll went to hell. Last time I do that.

But if possible Mr. Rain Man, if you DO believe in Rock n Roll, please subtract one vote from We Are the Champs and tally another one for American Pie as I meant to vote for it twice.

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 09:53 PM
WTF is going on here? Have you people lost your minds?

We need your help! If you believe and rock and roll, and music saves your mortal soul, you need to vote for American Pie!

Rain Man
03-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Actually, I voted earlier, long before this poll went to hell. Last time I do that.

But if possible Mr. Rain Man, if you DO believe in Rock n Roll, please subtract one vote from We Are the Champs and tally another one for American Pie as I meant to vote for it twice.

We would all vote for it twice if we could. But here we are, all in one place, a generation lost in space, with no time left to start again.

Psyko Tek
03-22-2011, 11:16 PM
THE KILLER IS ROCK AND ROLL
Goodness, Gracious
Floyd is good but it ain't rock and roll

American Pie has no balls(of fire or otherwise)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7IjgZGhHrYY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Drwbllz
03-23-2011, 02:51 AM
How is metal or Pink Floyd not rock and roll? :BS:

From wiki:

Heavy metal (often referred to simply as metal) is a genre of rock music that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and the United States.

Pink Floyd were an English rock band who achieved worldwide success with their psychedelic and progressive rock music.

The term "rock and roll" now has at least two different meanings, both in common usage. The American Heritage Dictionary and the Merriam-Webster Dictionary both define rock and roll as synonymous with rock music.

Nzoner
03-23-2011, 05:46 AM
I've seen 11 of them (if you count Crosby Still Nash and Young for Neil Young and Damn Yankees for Ted). Wish that number was lower, since one of them is Bob Dylan. :#

I've seen 20 of them live(22 if I count Roger Waters and Robert Plant) and still no Bob Dylan. :D

Chiefnj2
03-23-2011, 05:53 AM
1. Do you believe in rock ’n roll, can music save your mortal soul? ...

And then a huge gap to the rest:

2. Chop your breakfast on a mirror.
3. If you got the money honey, we got your disease.

Predarat
03-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Im willing to take my vote from Jungle to American Pie! Not sure if it is possible though lol.

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Im willing to take my vote from Jungle to American Pie! Not sure if it is possible though lol.

It's not allowed.

American Pie is the most over-rated song ever. Instead of driving his Chevy to the levy, I wish he would have drove it off a cliff.

Dartgod
03-23-2011, 07:50 AM
I've seen 20 of them live(22 if I count Roger Waters and Robert Plant) and still no Bob Dylan. :D
25 for me.

AC/DC
Guns N Roses
Aerosmith
Boston
Metallica
Pink Floyd
Queen
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Deep Purple
Elton John
Kansas
Billy Joel
Cheap Trick
Eagles
Joe Walsh
Kiss
Nazareth
Ozzy Osbourne
Paul McCartney
REM
Rush
Ted Nugent
U2
Van Halen
ZZTop

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 07:59 AM
one hour warning. poll shuts down when I get into the office. don't let today be the day the music died.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
03-23-2011, 08:10 AM
one hour warning. poll shuts down when I get into the office. don't let today be the day the music died.
Posted via Mobile Device

There are few things more painful than listening to somebody butcher this song doing karaoke, since it's about 45 minutes long. Never really cared all that much for it prior to that, either.

Omaha
03-23-2011, 08:17 AM

:facepalm:

Predarat
03-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Hurry up!

Nzoner
03-23-2011, 08:32 AM
25 for me.

I would have loved to have seen Floyd,however,the latest Roger Waters tour became #1 on my concerts seen list and I've seen over 150 shows.In all honesty I've never wanted to see AC/DC or GnR but am quite envious of you seeing Deep Purple.

patteeu
03-23-2011, 08:32 AM
Hurry up!

Where is he? Even school teachers are at work by now!

Omaha
03-23-2011, 08:37 AM
White Stripes, bitches!!!!

Predarat
03-23-2011, 08:40 AM
White Stripes, bitches!!!!

More people need to vote for that song, it is too good not to advance. Plus it say "Im going to Wichita", how can you beat that?

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 08:43 AM
30 minutes away. hold that lead, you lonely teenage broncing bucks with pink carnations and pickup trucks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Omaha
03-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Can we start this over & add some Beck?

Reaper16
03-23-2011, 08:52 AM
How is metal or Pink Floyd not rock and roll? :BS:

From wiki:

Heavy metal (often referred to simply as metal) is a genre of rock music that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and the United States.

Pink Floyd were an English rock band who achieved worldwide success with their psychedelic and progressive rock music.

The term "rock and roll" now has at least two different meanings, both in common usage. The American Heritage Dictionary and the Merriam-Webster Dictionary both define rock and roll as synonymous with rock music.
The author of the wikipedia page is wrong w/r/t metal. It uses rock instrumentation, and has an undeniable rock influence in its composition, but sounds entirely different.

Drwbllz
03-23-2011, 09:01 AM
The author of the wikipedia page is wrong w/r/t metal. It uses rock instrumentation, and has an undeniable rock influence in its composition, but sounds entirely different.

I'm confused... are you agreeing with me or disagreeing? And if you're disagreeing, then the two dictionaries are also wrong?

(I'm not trying to be sarcastic or a d*ck, I'm just trying to figure out the logic.)

Reaper16
03-23-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm confused... are you agreeing with me or disagreeing? And if you're disagreeing, then the two dictionaries are also wrong?

(I'm not trying to be sarcastic or a d*ck, I'm just trying to figure out the logic.)
I am disagreeing.

Do people just consider rock music to be a subgenre of Blues? No, because Rock does different things than the Blues does, musically speaking. Likewise, Metal is more than an offshoot of its most apparent influence. People think that metal is just really fast or heavy rock music, and they think this because they are ignorant about music. People give no consideration to metal's use of certain scales, modes, time signatures, etc. that aren't found in rock music. People don't stop and consider what they listen to enough.

You can't have metal without its rock influences, this much is very true, but you also can't have metal without its equal influences of jazz and classical. It isn't hard to suss out those influences, either. It's readily apparent, all you have to do is listen.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Okay, I'm in the office now and shutting it down. And believe it or not, we have a tie for third. Moving on are:

Welcome to the Jungle
We are the Champions
Another Brick in the Wall
American Pie

Whew, that was too close for comfort.

This tie has a lot of implications, because there is currently only one heat-filler spot open. If we have another tie, we'll have to add a whole new heat.

Frazod
03-23-2011, 09:09 AM
I would have loved to have seen Floyd,however,the latest Roger Waters tour became #1 on my concerts seen list and I've seen over 150 shows.In all honesty I've never wanted to see AC/DC or GnR but am quite envious of you seeing Deep Purple.

AC/DC definitely put on the best stage show. Energetic, lots of props, solid musical performance. Not the best concert I've ever seen, but definitely the most fun.

Predarat
03-23-2011, 09:09 AM
30 minutes away. hold that lead, you lonely teenage broncing bucks with pink carnations and pickup trucks!
Posted via Mobile Device

You said 10:00, its past 10:00 and American Pie is winning!

Predarat
03-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Nevermind, its a tie, and they both get in, I can deal!

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Wow. And another vote ticked in for American Pie just past the buzzer.

I called it a tie, though, so We are the Champions still gets to advance on the tie. That was one of the most exciting finishes we've ever had in the Rock N Poll.

Reaper16
03-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Wow. And another vote ticked in for American Pie just past the buzzer.

I called it a tie, though, so We are the Champions still gets to advance on the tie. That was one of the most exciting finishes we've ever had in the Rock N Poll.
March Madness!

patteeu
03-23-2011, 09:19 AM

Yahoo (http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Music/Genres/Rock_and_Pop/) also considers metal a rock genre.

Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Rock-Metal-Music/b/ref=amb_link_1765822_12?ie=UTF8&node=67207&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0R8MC7QVVGZVABJ2YBDD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=83371062&pf_rd_i=301668) combines "Hard Rock and Metal" into a single genre.

So does iTunes.

Billboard's Rock charts include such bands as Godsmack, Five Finger Death Punch, and Chevelle, one or more of which I assume you consider metal.

And of course, the definitive Rock Band video game includes many metal songs.

The weight of opinion runs against your classification instincts.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 09:27 AM
March Madness!

I bet Christian Laettner is a lurker here, and he cast that last-minute vote for American Pie.

Drwbllz
03-23-2011, 09:35 AM
I am disagreeing.

Do people just consider rock music to be a subgenre of Blues? No, because Rock does different things than the Blues does, musically speaking. Likewise, Metal is more than an offshoot of its most apparent influence. People think that metal is just really fast or heavy rock music, and they think this because they are ignorant about music. People give no consideration to metal's use of certain scales, modes, time signatures, etc. that aren't found in rock music. People don't stop and consider what they listen to enough.

You can't have metal without its rock influences, this much is very true, but you also can't have metal without its equal influences of jazz and classical. It isn't hard to suss out those influences, either. It's readily apparent, all you have to do is listen.

I can see where you're coming from, but I still disagree with the fact that metal is not rock. Most people would say that the first (at least well-known) heavy metal bands were the likes of Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Deep Purple. I'd have a hard time saying that any of those bands is not a rock band.

Edit: Ron Swanson kicks ass, so we can agree on that.

Chief Pote
03-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Don Mclean beating Queen....nice. You pack of nerds.

patteeu
03-23-2011, 10:48 AM

In fairness, it's Don McLean's best song against a Queen song that doesn't make their top 10.

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-23-2011, 10:51 AM
In fairness, it's Don McLean's only song against a Queen song that doesn't make their top 10.

FYP

Rausch
03-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Yeah 'cause watching Flash Gordon on max volume is way cooler than turning up Don Mclean and thinking about your best piece of strange in HS...

beach tribe
03-23-2011, 11:04 AM

I think GnR is the best band there's ever been since the glory days of Zep, Hendrix, etc.

patteeu
03-23-2011, 11:07 AM
I think GnR is the best band there's ever been since the glory days of Zep, Hendrix, etc.

Wow, that 3 decade drug bender must have been a doozy. Charlie Sheen's got nothing on you. :)

Bugeater
03-23-2011, 11:27 AM
:facepalm:
Just to clarify, I meant the only good AC/DC song, not the only good song in the heat.

Easy 6
03-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Wow, that 3 decade drug bender must have been a doozy. Charlie Sheen's got nothing on you. :)

GnR almost singlehandedly demolished much of the american rock scene & reinvented it. Other bands immediately began ditching their goofy costumes for a more 'street' look & started dirtying up their sound/style when GnR appeared.

Outside of the thrash scene, they were the standard bearers for musical/personal authenticity, until Nirvana broke out several years later.

Pitt Gorilla
03-23-2011, 12:26 PM
GnR almost singlehandedly demolished much of the american rock scene & reinvented it. Other bands immediately began ditching their goofy costumes for a more 'street' look & started dirtying up their sound/style when GnR appeared.

Outside of the thrash scene, they were the standard bearers for musical/personal authenticity, until Nirvana broke out several years later.Metallica never went to a costume and Puppets really defined Metallica's rise from underground to quasi-mainstream band. Puppets not advancing here is ridiculous.

Easy 6
03-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Metallica never went to a costume and Puppets really defined Metallica's rise from underground to quasi-mainstream band. Puppets not advancing here is ridiculous.

Impossible to argue with that.

I remember seeing them on their first headlining jaunt for Master, just truly mindblowing, we never got bands like that here in small midwest towns... they opened a lot of eyes around here i'm sure.

patteeu
03-23-2011, 12:58 PM

Outside of the thrash scene, they were the standard bearers for musical/personal authenticity, until Nirvana broke out several years later.

I can't give them that much credit. First of all, I wouldn't off-handedly dismiss the thrash scene like that in order to give GnR "almost singlehandedly" level credit. Second, you make it sound like Nirvana was an afterthought. I think both Thrash and Nirvana (and it's grunge colleagues) deserve more credit than GnR for the changes in hard rock in the late 80s, early 90s. Besides, GnR mostly sucks. :p

Pitt Gorilla
03-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Impossible to argue with that.

I remember seeing them on their first headlining jaunt for Master, just truly mindblowing, we never got bands like that here in small midwest towns... they opened a lot of eyes around here i'm sure.Metallica's best song sits in fifth place in this heat.

Easy 6
03-23-2011, 01:05 PM
I can't give them that much credit. First of all, I wouldn't off-handedly dismiss the thrash scene like that in order to give GnR "almost singlehandedly" level credit. Second, you make it sound like Nirvana was an afterthought. I think both Thrash and Nirvana (and it's grunge colleagues) deserve more credit than GnR for the changes in hard rock in the late 80s, early 90s. Besides, GnR mostly sucks. :p

I wasnt trying to diminish thrash, just setting it apart because it was kind of a world unto itself IMO, especially at that time.

And far be it from me to downgrade Nirvana, they were every single bit as relevant & paradigm changing as GnR, but not more so IMO.

You should sit down & give 'GnR Lies' a listen, that might help change your opinion a lil bit.

beach tribe
03-23-2011, 01:11 PM

LMAO.

Drwbllz
03-23-2011, 01:12 PM
I wasnt trying to diminish thrash, just setting it apart because it was kind of a world unto itself IMO, especially at that time.

And far be it from me to downgrade Nirvana, they were every single bit as relevant & paradigm changing as GnR, but not more so IMO.

You should sit down & give 'GnR Lies' a listen, that might help change your opinion a lil bit.

I might be way off base here (haven't checked the facts), but I think the rise of grunge, and more specifically Nirvana, killed off the type of music the brand of music the GnR was putting out at maybe even the band itself indirectly.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Metallica's best song sits in fifth place in this heat.

Since they're out, perhaps you could consider helping Springsteen win in his heats. It's the next best thing for you.

Drwbllz
03-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Since they're out, perhaps you could consider helping Springsteen win in his heats. It's the next best thing for you.

I might have to take you up on that. We'll see what the future heats have. There's way too much c*ck rock in here.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 01:17 PM
I might have to take you up on that. We'll see what the future heats have. There's way too much c*ck rock in here.

Welcome, friend.

Omaha
03-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Just to clarify, I meant the only good AC/DC song, not the only good song in the heat.

OK, thanks. I was definitely reading that the wrong way. I was worried about you, man....

Easy 6
03-23-2011, 01:31 PM
I might be way off base here (haven't checked the facts), but I think the rise of grunge, and more specifically Nirvana, killed off the type of music the brand of music the GnR was putting out at maybe even the band itself indirectly.

I guess we'll just disagree, GnR put a thousand shitty bands that were popular on a permanent shelf IMO.

As far as 'cock rock', whats wrong with that? The Beatles didnt start out writing social consciousness songs, it was sex, drugs & rock & roll.

But i dont wanna disagree with ya too strongly, please keep that weapon up & downrange :)

patteeu
03-23-2011, 01:40 PM

OK, I'm listening to it right now. Forcing myself through "Patience" at the moment. So far, Mama Kin has been the highlight. I think I'd have liked Guns N Roses better as a cover band, but I'm exaggerating my lack of enthusiasm for them overall a little bit. They've got some decent rock songs. I guess they just came along right after I started losing interest in the hair band and hard rock genre in favor of thrash and some of the college alternative that was going on at the time.

Rasputin
03-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Springsteen is far and away the most underrepresented artist here. I figured at least 10 of his would get through.

This is for you Rain Man.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0zlciOPjMDE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0zlciOPjMDE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Yet I don't understand your distaste with GnR? Come Together & get a grip that GNR rocks! Good enough for the BOSS....

Omaha
03-23-2011, 02:00 PM
I guess we'll just disagree, GnR put a thousand shitty bands that were popular on a permanent shelf IMO.

As far as 'cock rock', whats wrong with that? The Beatles didnt start out writing social consciousness songs, it was sex, drugs & rock & roll.

But i dont wanna disagree with ya too strongly, please keep that weapon up & downrange :)

Like who? Who were some of the shitty bands that were put on a shelf? Not being difficult, I just can't think of any.

I'll give you this, Slash & Izzy had beautiful, warm guitar tones. After AFD came out, there were a lot more guys playing Les Paul guitars through Marshall stacks. That was the biggest change I noticed, but I'm a guitar nut.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 02:08 PM
This is for you Rain Man.

Yet I don't understand your distaste with GnR? Come Together & get a grip that GNR rocks! Good enough for the BOSS....

Whoa. I may have to rethink my stand on this.

Rasputin
03-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Whoa. I may have to rethink my stand on this.

:thumb:

Drwbllz
03-23-2011, 02:20 PM

I'm not sure we're disagreeing. I agree that GnR put an end to the masses of hair bands that were popular when they came on the scene. I'm just saying that down the road, the influx of grunge pushed GnR's brand of music out of the limelight... I think.

(That weapon shoots to far to keep it up and downrange. Muzzle-down on the Barrett!) ;)

Rasputin
03-23-2011, 02:45 PM
If ya wanted Bob Dylans song to move on, should have gone with GNR

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VV24HYEr-wQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VV24HYEr-wQ&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

' give us some reggae '

-----

Also Rain Man, Bob Dylan was a huge influence on GnRs music & they paid tribute to the man Bob Dylan recreating this gem of a song. Allowing younger generations to appreciate good song writing. You should look up Izzy Stradlin and the ju ju hounds, see if that is appealing to your likeing. Izzy Stradlin left GnR and moved back to london. I think you would like that it's not hard rock but it is definently Bob Dylan genre.

Pitt Gorilla
03-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Since they're out, perhaps you could consider helping Springsteen win in his heats. It's the next best thing for you.I'm fairly disinterested. How seriously can one take a "Rock N Poll" that has Puppets losing to We are the Champions? I love Queen, but that is insane.

Easy 6
03-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Like who? Who were some of the shitty bands that were put on a shelf? Not being difficult, I just can't think of any.

I'll give you this, Slash & Izzy had beautiful, warm guitar tones. After AFD came out, there were a lot more guys playing Les Paul guitars through Marshall stacks. That was the biggest change I noticed, but I'm a guitar nut.

Drwbllz called it, GnR destroyed the Hollywood rock scene, one hair band after another went defunct. The record companies started signing bands that played dirty, blues based rock & dressed'em up like street urchins/pirates, left & right. Its hard to come up with names though, most quickly fell to the wayside because they werent genuine, or just plain sucked & the fans knew it.

Your second paragraph hits a good point, seems like every other guitarist started going to Les Pauls & Marshalls. Just another tell of GnR's influence.

Reaper16
03-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Yahoo (http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Music/Genres/Rock_and_Pop/) also considers metal a rock genre.

Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Rock-Metal-Music/b/ref=amb_link_1765822_12?ie=UTF8&node=67207&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=0R8MC7QVVGZVABJ2YBDD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=83371062&pf_rd_i=301668) combines "Hard Rock and Metal" into a single genre.

So does iTunes.

Billboard's Rock charts include such bands as Godsmack, Five Finger Death Punch, and Chevelle, one or more of which I assume you consider metal.

And of course, the definitive Rock Band video game includes many metal songs.

The weight of opinion runs against your classification instincts.
They are all incorrect. The difference is clear and it is verifiable through actual musical terms. They have popular opinion, but they don't have fact. I've posted at length about this issue throughout my years here on CP and I guess I'm still not done. Ugh.

Of those three bands you listed on the Billboard rock charts, all three are rock bands. Godsmack and Chevelle have never once even approached sounding like a metal band.

Reaper16
03-24-2011, 01:46 PM
I can see where you're coming from, but I still disagree with the fact that metal is not rock. Most people would say that the first (at least well-known) heavy metal bands were the likes of Zeppelin, Sabbath, and Deep Purple. I'd have a hard time saying that any of those bands is not a rock band.

Edit: Ron Swanson kicks ass, so we can agree on that.
Black Sabbath is not a rock band. The other two are. Zepplin and Deep Purple were clearly tapping into some of the things that would later define metal music. They're "proto-metal," if you will.

patteeu
03-24-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm fairly disinterested. How seriously can one take a "Rock N Poll" that has Puppets losing to We are the Champions? I love Queen, but that is insane.

Reaper didn't vote for Master of Puppets because he says it's not rock and roll. He did vote for Tiny Dancer though, iirc. :eek:

vailpass
03-24-2011, 01:49 PM

:spock:

patteeu
03-24-2011, 01:55 PM
They are all incorrect. The difference is clear and it is verifiable through actual musical terms. They have popular opinion, but they don't have fact. I've posted at length about this issue throughout my years here on CP and I guess I'm still not done. Ugh.

:facepalm: The difference apparently isn't all that clear since the vast majority of the musically interested public doesn't recognize it. I also doubt that you could match your genre definitions up with the genesis of the term as it was initially applied to bands that don't meet your apparent criteria.

Reaper16
03-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Reaper didn't vote for Master of Puppets because he says it's not rock and roll. He did vote for Tiny Dancer though, iirc. :eek:
How is Tiny Dancer not a rock song? It's certainly rock chords and song structure that I hear.

Reaper16
03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
:facepalm: The difference apparently isn't all that clear since the vast majority of the musically interested public doesn't recognize it. I also doubt that you could match your genre definitions up with the genesis of the term as it was initially applied to bands that don't meet your apparent criteria. Marketing labels evolve over time. Internationally, the new genre of music that developed out of rock, jazz and classical sort of took over the name 'heavy metal.' (which, iirc, was first used by a journalist in a story about Blue Cheer.) I suppose the genre of music that is known to people that know what music is as "metal" could be called a different name. But there'd be a tough time trying to change it.

Omaha
03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Of those three bands you listed on the Billboard rock charts, all three are rock bands. Godsmack and Chevelle have never once even approached sounding like a metal band.

As a big fan of Rock Music, I submit that we do not want them, either.

patteeu
03-24-2011, 02:01 PM
How is Tiny Dancer not a rock song? It's certainly rock chords and song structure that I hear.

I didn't say it's not a rock song. I'm poking fun at your choice of Tiny Dancer over Master of Puppets in a greatest rock song of all time poll.

KurtCobain
03-24-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't give a fuck what it is. If it's in the poll I'm fucking voting for it. Fuck you all.

Omaha
03-24-2011, 02:05 PM
I didn't say it's not a rock song. I'm poking fun at your choice of Tiny Dancer over Master of Puppets in a greatest rock song of all time poll.

IMO, Tiny Dancer is the better song. It's not even close.

Easy 6
the influx of grunge pushed GnR's brand of music out of the limelight... I think.

(That weapon shoots to far to keep it up and downrange. Muzzle-down on the Barrett!) ;)

Theres no question about it, Nirvana & grunge helped push GnR to the sideline.

Oh, thats a 50, ok, hard to tell from the pic. Just how bad is the recoil on that thing, does it murder your shoulder?

Reaper16
As a big fan of Rock Music, I submit that we do not want them, either.
I know this is a funny post, but I want to use it to make a serious point:

I'm a big fan of rock music, too. I want the actual, real distinctions between metal and rock to be recognized not just for the sake of metal but also for the sake of rock. It's unfair to the rock bands that are pushing the extents and boundaries of that genre if metal bands are rock bands too. It's unfair to bands like Tool or Radiohead, who are doing wonderfully creative things in the rock genre.

patteeu
03-24-2011, 02:23 PM
IMO, Tiny Dancer is the better song. It's not even close.

The shock value has worn off of your posts. I bet you cried when you heard the Princess Diana version of Candles in the Wind, didn't you. :p

Omaha
03-24-2011, 02:57 PM
The shock value has worn off of your posts. I bet you cried when you heard the Princess Diana version of Candles in the Wind, didn't you. :p

I wasn't going for shock value. I think Metallica is a joke. The live Ben Folds version of Tiny Dancer is really cool. It's not a rocker, but I think it's the better song.

Slainte
03-24-2011, 03:00 PM

+1

patteeu
03-24-2011, 03:21 PM
I wasn't going for shock value. I think Metallica is a joke. The live Ben Folds version of Tiny Dancer is really cool. It's not a rocker, but I think it's the better song.

That's precious.

KurtCobain
03-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Rainman, I have an idea.

I propose a Loser's Bracket. That way songs that were unfairly matched up have a shot at coming back in this thing. I think you could take the top three losers from ever heat and pit them together. Then against the top losers in round two. I could help if you'd apporve it and don't want to fuck with it, kevin.

patteeu
03-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Rainman, I have an idea.

I propose a Loser's Bracket. That way songs that were unfairly matched up have a shot at coming back in this thing. I think you could take the top three losers from ever heat and pit them together. Then against the top losers in round two. I could help if you'd apporve it and don't want to **** with it, kevin.

Wouldn't it be more foolproof if we just ran a poll where "Signs" was the only option?

KurtCobain
03-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Wouldn't it be more foolproof if we just ran a poll where "Signs" was the only option?

You're one of those thinker types, aren't you?

Pitt Gorilla
03-24-2011, 06:38 PM
I didn't say it's not a rock song. I'm poking fun at your choice of Tiny Dancer over Master of Puppets in a greatest rock song of all time poll.Awesome.