PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Electric Lawn Mowers

DaFace
03-22-2011, 05:00 PM
My freebie Craigslist special lasted me for two years, but not it's time to buy one that doesn't suck. My yard's pretty small (maybe 2500sf or so), so I'm considering an electric mower. Anyone ever used one? Do they suck?

salame
03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
My grandma had one
it sucked ass mowing her yard with it dude
I think if you mow it pretty often like every 5 days or so
but you can't get lazy with it

Bugeater
03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
I used one for a year at my old mobile home, it did alright as long as I didn't let the grass get too long.

Bwana
03-22-2011, 05:14 PM
My Dad bought one when I was about 12 because he thought it would be a good idea, it wasn't. It was an under powered POS. After about a year, he figured out the thing was a door stop and bought another "mans" gas mower. :thumb: Don't do it dude, seriously. Electric mowers are for chicks and guys that play with dolls. Get yourself one of these, hang the flames, grab a beer and rock and roll!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlkegbMSH5aZGW4FXcI2dwtQihQSeEqGt3AJPJP1MEe_S2f67qLQ&t=1

Frosty
03-22-2011, 05:17 PM
I haven't tried one of the rechargeable ones but when I was a kid, my dad had one that you had to drag a cord around to use it. That sucked.

Valiant
03-22-2011, 05:18 PM
You would need to mow every two to three days if growing.. You forget or let the grass get to tall you are fucked and will be asking the neighbors with a real mower to come over..

MadMax
03-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Real men don't use electric lawn mowers or weed eaters ;) IMO they do suck!

chefsos
03-22-2011, 05:31 PM
You haven't lived 'til you spill gas on a hot mower muffler.

DaFace
03-22-2011, 05:37 PM
My Dad bought one when I was about 12 because he thought it would be a good idea, it wasn't. It was an under powered POS. After about a year, he figured out the thing was a door stop and bought another "mans" gas mower. :thumb: Don't do it dude, seriously. Electric mowers are for chicks and guys that play with dolls. Get yourself one of these, hang the flames, grab a beer and rock and roll!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlkegbMSH5aZGW4FXcI2dwtQihQSeEqGt3AJPJP1MEe_S2f67qLQ&t=1

Ha...that thing would be a mess in my yard. You'd spend more time trying to turn around and maneuver than actually cutting.

Deberg_1990
03-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Id keep it, with gas prices as they are right now.....Its all Obama's fault.....

Off to D.C. in 1....2....3....

Donger
03-22-2011, 05:43 PM
No. Nor do I enjoy show tunes and interior decorating.

Donger
03-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Id keep it, with gas prices as they are right now.....Its all Obama's fault.....

Off to D.C. in 1....2....3....

Shoulda heard what I learned at a meeting today. Holy sh*t.

Deberg_1990
03-22-2011, 05:53 PM

Do tell...

blaise
03-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Real men don't use electric lawn mowers or weed eaters ;) IMO they do suck!

I have an electric weed eater and I hate it.

trndobrd
03-22-2011, 05:56 PM
I would go with a non-powered push mower before I would buy an electric.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EDMbYEGovbc&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EDMbYEGovbc&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Bwana
03-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Ha...that thing would be a mess in my yard. You'd spend more time trying to turn around and maneuver than actually cutting.

Well in that case, start here.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/dap_10153_12605_DAP_Blue+Crew+Yard?adCell=B1&adCell=W3

chefsos
03-22-2011, 06:01 PM
I would go with a non-powered push mower before I would buy an electric.My dad was about to buy one of those, before my brother just flat-out told him "No, you're not." He's 80.

blaise
03-22-2011, 06:03 PM
My dad was about to buy one of those, before my brother just flat-out told him "No, you're not." He's 80.

One of my neighbors got one. I saw him pushing it around two or three times, and then I saw that he went back to gas.

Bwana
03-22-2011, 06:04 PM
I would go with a non-powered push mower before I would buy an electric.

<EMBED height=390 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/EDMbYEGovbc&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3 allowScriptAccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

Jesus :doh!: My dad went through that stage as well. What a pain in the ass. Once again, that thing didn't last long. I think he got it at a buddys garage sale for a buck or two at the time.

Donger
03-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Does anyone have any experience with lawn mowers that are used exclusively on golf greens? I'm thinking of converting my chipping green into a putting green.

seclark
03-22-2011, 06:12 PM
bought one cheap the first year we were married. maybe save a little money on gas, but i went through 7 f@ckin extension cords, and shocked the piss out of myself a couple times.
sec

trndobrd
03-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Does anyone have any experience with lawn mowers that are used exclusively on golf greens? I'm thinking of converting my chipping green into a putting green.

I've been thinking of switching to field-turf to avoid knee injuries. I think my neighbors will enjoy a Boise State theme.

seclark
03-22-2011, 06:14 PM

your neighbors will love to borrow it.

salame
03-22-2011, 06:16 PM
I kind of wish I had a yard just so I could buy a push reel mower

Bwana
03-22-2011, 06:17 PM
your neighbors will love to borrow it.

Are his neighbors the Taliban? :hump:lambs

seclark
03-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Are his neighbors the Taliban? :hump:lambs

take your time, and he'll get used to being milked;)
sec

Bwana
03-22-2011, 06:19 PM
take your time, and he'll get used to being milked;)
sec

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/maxwell_smart__confused.gif

Donger
03-22-2011, 06:21 PM
So, you chaps don't have any experience or knowledge of mowers for golf greens? I was being serious.

seclark
03-22-2011, 06:24 PM
So, you chaps don't have any experience or knowledge of mowers for golf greens? I was being serious.

ROFL sorry, man...if you don't want a goat, i can't help you.
good luck!
sec

Donger
03-22-2011, 06:26 PM
ROFL sorry, man...if you don't want a goat, i can't help you.
good luck!
sec

No, really. They apparently have specialized mowers for greens, but I don't know anything about them other than they are a little pricey.

seclark
03-22-2011, 06:31 PM
No, really. They apparently have specialized mowers for greens, but I don't know anything about them other than they are a little pricey.

you gonna mow the whole yard like that, or just a spot? what kind of grass you got back there?

where i live, if i drop the deck very low, i shoot sparks, rocks and dog turds all over. it's nasty cleaning up the deck afterwards. then, around july/august, the grass dies, which in my opinion is good.
sec

Bugeater
03-22-2011, 06:31 PM

Do tell...
Uh, yeah Donger. You can't just throw that out there and leave us hanging.

Donger
03-22-2011, 06:34 PM
you gonna mow the whole yard like that, or just a spot? what kind of grass you got back there?

where i live, if i drop the deck very low, i shoot sparks, rocks and dog turds all over. it's nasty cleaning up the deck afterwards. then, around july/august, the grass dies, which in my opinion is good.
sec

I already lower my mower to its lowest setting after mowing the lawn and carve out a green about 30' in diameter. It's fine for chipping, but the boy wants to putt, too. So, I just started looking into turning it into a putting green. The grass will apparently have to be changed. It's fescue and bluegrass right now.

Donger
03-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Uh, yeah Donger. You can't just throw that out there and leave us hanging.

Sorry, I can't. But, you are all f*cked.

Bwana
03-22-2011, 06:36 PM

You need a special kind of grass to cut that short. Not only will the mower break the bank, but you are going to have to hire a Carl Spackler to keep up on the grass.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/spackler120110.jpg

Deberg_1990
03-22-2011, 06:36 PM

What is it? Chevy will sell 10 Volts in March??

Bugeater
03-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Well that's hardly news.

Bwana
03-22-2011, 06:42 PM

You say that like it's a bad thing......

seclark
03-22-2011, 06:53 PM
I already lower my mower to its lowest setting after mowing the lawn and carve out a green about 30' in diameter. It's fine for chipping, but the boy wants to putt, too. So, I just started looking into turning it into a putting green. The grass will apparently have to be changed. It's fescue and bluegrass right now.

check this out...$300
http://www.outsidepride.com/reel-mowers/putting-green-reel-mower.html

sec

Donger
03-22-2011, 06:54 PM
check this out...$300

sec

That's great. I was looking at $1,000+ ones. Thanks!

seclark
03-22-2011, 07:03 PM

really? hope it works out for you.
i mow 11 acres. 2 lawn tractors, one push mower and one pull behind for the 4wheeler to do ditches and around the pond. drives me nuts.
sec

Miles
03-22-2011, 07:03 PM
The amount of time and effort required to set up a grass putting green would probably be prohibitive. Mowing it 4 times a week would get old pretty fast plus grass that short can die pretty easily.

Have you thought of trying some type of artificial turf for the putting surface? I have seen those in a few backyards.

Donger
03-22-2011, 07:05 PM
i mow 11 acres. 2 lawn tractors, one push mower and one pull behind for the 4wheeler to do ditches and around the pond. drives me nuts.
sec

There's apparently a guy locally that will come and maintain the green, excluding watering, but I can do that automatically.

Bugeater
03-22-2011, 07:22 PM
sec
Damn, that sounds awesome. Can I come live with you?

seclark
03-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Damn, that sounds awesome. Can I come live with you?

i guess, if you wanna help mow.
sec

Bugeater
03-22-2011, 07:33 PM
i guess, if you wanna help mow.
sec
I'm gonna go pack right now.

seclark
03-22-2011, 07:36 PM

what...you jerkin me around? you like to mow?
sec

Bugeater
03-22-2011, 07:42 PM
what...you jerkin me around? you like to mow?
sec
Yeah, I do. I used to go to my grandparent's farm in Iowa on the weekends to spend a day mowing and trimming the 5 acres their homestead was on just for fun.

seclark
03-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I do. I used to go to my grandparent's farm in Iowa on the weekends to spend a day mowing and trimming the 5 acres their homestead was on just for fun.

really...i pretty much just do the ditches and around the pond. my great uncle lives in an apartment i have built in the machine shed. he pretty much does all the mowing, and taking care of the tools. i pretty much just buy the gas and keep the machines all maintained. he's pretty handy to have around. loves to ride on the mowers. 84 years old. he's spent this week cutting wood. don't really know why...we don't burn wood. whatever keeps him happy, yaknow?
sec

Bugeater
03-22-2011, 07:54 PM
really...i pretty much just do the ditches and around the pond. my great uncle lives in an apartment i have built in the machine shed. he pretty much does all the mowing, and taking care of the tools. i pretty much just buy the gas and keep the machines all maintained. he's pretty handy to have around. loves to ride on the mowers. 84 years old. he's spent this week cutting wood. don't really know why...we don't burn wood. whatever keeps him happy, yaknow?
sec
Man, he is living my dream. And nothing beats heating your house with a woodstove, you really should get one.

Phobia
03-22-2011, 09:32 PM
One of my neighbors gave me an electric when he moved away. It's okay, I guess... considering the price. I'm glad I didn't spend the $380 on the thing though. I'm glad I didn't spend $100.

Phobia
03-22-2011, 09:35 PM
sec

I want one of him.

Bugeater
03-22-2011, 09:37 PM
I want one of him.
Build me an apartment in your machine shed, and you can have me.

(no homo)

WV
03-22-2011, 09:37 PM
I want one of him.

Ditto...............

Phobia
03-22-2011, 09:38 PM

(no homo)

There's already an apartment up there. It will be nice having a painter/HVAC Tech in-house.

Bugeater
03-22-2011, 09:39 PM
There's already an apartment up there. It will be nice having a painter/HVAC Tech in-house.

Groves
03-22-2011, 09:42 PM
For sure go cordless

http://www.onescytherevolution.com/uploads/2/7/0/4/2704505/9179736_orig.jpg

58-4ever
03-22-2011, 09:50 PM

(no homo)

This reminds me of a joke:

A guy moves out to the country where his closest neighbor is at least 10 miles away. One day he hears a knock at the door. The man introduces himself as his neighbor and invites him to a party at his house. The neighbor then proceeds to tell him "There's gonna be lots of drinking, some fightin', and then some fuckin!"

"Wow! That sounds like a blast, should I bring anything?" replied the man.

"nah", the neighbor said, "it's just gonna be me and you"

Kerberos
03-23-2011, 12:53 PM
I bought one because I have a patch of grass in my back yard that is 35ft X 20ft. in size and I really didn't want something I was going to have to do a lot of maintenance too just to mow 10 minutes every other week. Grass in the desert doesn't grow very fast. :thumb:

I actually considered a cordless electric but GAWDAMN they were higher priced than a power mower at Sears. :shake:

And I asked the guy at Sears how much a battery for one of them cost when the OEM went bad and he actually told me that is the EXACT reason he tells most people WHY NOT to buy one.

If you got more than .25 acres to mow I would suggest a cheap power walk behind.

Kerberos
03-23-2011, 01:04 PM
check this out...$300

sec

Buy the sharpener too. When those things get dull that is when they SUCK to try and push. As long as the grass doesn't get too high and the blades are sharp those mowers do a good job.

Radar Chief
03-23-2011, 01:05 PM
For sure go cordless

http://www.onescytherevolution.com/uploads/2/7/0/4/2704505/9179736_orig.jpg

Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade. Uhm hmm./Karl Childers

seclark
03-23-2011, 01:05 PM
I want one of him.

ernie outside

seclark
03-23-2011, 01:06 PM
ernie inside.
actually, this is where me, the wife and daughter lived while we built the house.

9months
sec

Amnorix
03-23-2011, 02:05 PM
bought one cheap the first year we were married. maybe save a little money on gas, but i went through 7 f@ckin extension cords, and shocked the piss out of myself a couple times.
sec

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Amnorix
03-23-2011, 02:12 PM
My parents had one of those old push mowers all while I was growing up. Then I was a teenager and it was my turn. :( That thing sucked.

Then we went electric. I thought it was great at the time, but that's only by comparison.

Go gas. No, really, GO GAS.

DaFace
03-23-2011, 02:13 PM
My parents had one of those old push mowers all while I was growing up. Then I was a teenager and it was my turn. :( That thing sucked.

Then we went electric. I thought it was great at the time, but that's only by comparison.

Go gas. No, really, GO GAS.

Yup. Sounds like that's the consensus.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 03:43 PM
ernie inside.
actually, this is where me, the wife and daughter lived while we built the house.

9months
sec

Were you able to kick that scary old guy out first?

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 03:44 PM

Oh, never mind. I thought maybe that was you.

MadMax
03-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade. Uhm hmm./Karl Childers

ROFL!!! Mmmmhmm! :) I reckon I'd like lil potted meat you have in yer history.

seclark
03-23-2011, 03:48 PM

Oh, never mind. I thought maybe that was you.

hey...springsteen sucks!
sec

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 03:55 PM
hey...springsteen sucks!
sec

That hurt.

seclark
03-23-2011, 03:58 PM
That hurt.

feel like steping over to the "i'm leaving" thread? looks like there might be an opening at 8:15.
sec