PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 2, Heat 2

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Let's see if we can keep the excitement going in Heat 2. I'll be interested in hearing what people think of this heat.

Phobia
03-23-2011, 09:15 AM
This heat blows.

Phobia
03-23-2011, 09:22 AM
My personal taste of the era probably gravitates towards the first three but I recognize legendary and actually enjoy those songs as well so I voted for the middle three.

Nzoner
03-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Since we've entered round 2 I'm going to give a little more thought to my choices,therefore,I can only vote for Queen and The Beatles in this round and not cast a 3rd just because I may like a song.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Okay, this heat blows chunks, which hurts since I see some upcoming heats where I'll be making some tough decisions. My rankings are:

Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen - #1 by a distance measured in astronomical units. I really like this song, and am at best lukewarm on the others.

Helter Skelter, the Beatles - It's a decent song. Clear #2 in this heat.

Tom Sawyer, Rush - The weird thing is that this song didn't even get my vote in the first heat, and now I'm voting for it in the second. #3 vote.

Detroit Rock City, Kiss - Least objectionable of the detritus floating in this thread.

Runnin' With the Devil, Van Halen - Twang, twang, twang. At least it doesn't distract me while I'm reading.

Hell's Bells, AC/DC - I wanted the one with bagpipes. I would have been fine with the one with bagpipes. But did you vote for it? Noooooo.

Hush, Deep Purple - Eh, it beats Metallica.

The Unforgiven I, Metallica - Hey, they're #8 in both heats so far! I'm learning something about my tastes.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Man, look at Tom Sawyer jumping out to an early lead.

Dartgod
03-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Rush with the early lead. I don't expect it to hold, but that's gonna piss off a few people.
Posted via Mobile Device

Omaha
03-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Rush & the Beatles. I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of the others. Queen probably deserves it, but I'm soooo sick of that fucking song....

Omaha
03-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Rush with the early lead. I don't expect it to hold, but that's gonna piss off a few people.
Posted via Mobile Device

See, dude? I told you I'd hook you up with some Rush votes.

Chiefburger
03-23-2011, 09:35 AM
I know I said I wasn't gonna waste my vote this early but I couldn't help myself in this craptastic field. OK, so the votes go like so:

"Bohemian Rhapsody" -- something tells me this silverback will be fighting for its life against the droopy-eyed, one-armed retards known as "Running with the Devil" and "Hell's Bells." Theory: if you like either of the latter, you LOVE monster trucks.

"Hush" -- if I had to chose one song to hear while doing a girl against her will, this may be it.

"Tom Sawyer" -- i like Huck Finn more but ok.

RNR
03-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I am one of the Tom Sawyer votes~

Dartgod
03-23-2011, 09:37 AM
See, dude? I told you I'd hook you up with some Rush votes.

It's too bad people don't like instrumentals in general. La Villa Strangiato and YYZ are much better Rush songs than Tom Sawyer.
Posted via Mobile Device

blaise
03-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I know I said I wasn't gonna waste my vote this early but I couldn't help myself in this craptastic field. OK, so the votes go like so:

"Bohemian Rhapsody" -- something tells me this silverback will be fighting for its life against the droopy-eyed, one-armed retards known as "Running with the Devil" and "Hell's Bells." Theory: if you like either of the latter, you LOVE monster trucks.

"Hush" -- if I had to chose one song to hear while doing a girl against her will, this may be it.

Yes, those Monster Truck fans should aspire to make more jokes about rape. Then they'll begin to reach a more sophisticated level of art appreciation.

chopper
03-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Unforgiven gives me goose bumps almost every time.
Tom Sawyer is the only Rush song I can tolerate, but the intro is one of epic magnitude that cannot be denied, almost goosebumpy.
Helter Skelter barely beat out suckage
Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu
03-23-2011, 09:41 AM
#1 Kiss, makeup and spitting blood
#2 AC/DC, schoolboy uniform on a grown man
#3 Van Halen, drunks and bare ass chaps

I could have voted for Bohemian Rhapsody, but I figure it's going to move on without my help.

Helter Skelter is OK.

Meh for Tom Sawyer and Hush.

Unforgiven blows.

Omaha
03-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Very excellent work. Your stock is on the rise.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 09:54 AM
I could have voted for Bohemian Rhapsody, but I figure it's going to move on without my help.

You realize, of course, that when Kurt (was it Kurt?) used that strategy in Heat 1, it almost cost us American Pie. You even warned him of it.

Chiefnj2
03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Tough in a mediocre kind of way. In the end:

1. Hells Bells. Love the intro. All around really good, get your blood pumping song.
2. Tom Sawyer. Classic, though his mind is not for rent, why yell out "the river"?
3. Bohemian Rhapsody - one of kind in a good way, but almost too played out.

Dartgod
03-23-2011, 10:04 AM
It's too bad people don't like instrumentals in general. La Villa Strangiato and YYZ are much better Rush songs than Tom Sawyer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speaking of instrumentals, did Edgar Winter's Frankenstein even make the contest? If not, it should have
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts
03-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I had no idea you were a fellow Rushian. YYZ is a masterpiece. It's my ringtone on my phone. Happy to at least see their most famous song faring well here. Rush is incredibly under rated.

patteeu
03-23-2011, 10:05 AM
You realize, of course, that when Kurt (was it Kurt?) used that strategy in Heat 1, it almost cost us American Pie. You even warned him of it.

I think it was someone else, but that was when he voted for the two top vote getters in addition to American Pie, I think. I'm voting for apparent dark horses. Besides, Bohemian Rhapsody would be 3rd in my ranking at best, but I'd rather Detroit Rock City and Hell's Bells make it even if BR falls short. It seems that I'll end up at least half disappointed.

Frazod
03-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Van Halen, AC/DC, Queen.

The lack of love for Van Halen is kind of surprising. Sure they suck now, but back in the day they were awesome.

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-23-2011, 10:13 AM
I voted for Tom Sawyer and Runnin' With The Devil.

I think Bohemian Rhapsody has been overplayed and probably the reason I don't like listening to it anymore.

blaise
03-23-2011, 10:15 AM

I think Bohemian Rhapsody has been overplayed and probably the reason I don't like listening to it anymore.

Yeah, I can't imagine listening to that whole song ever again unless I'm stuck in a car with someone and they refuse to turn it off.

RNR
03-23-2011, 10:15 AM

That is the 3 I voted for and feel the same about Rhapsody~

mikey23545
03-23-2011, 10:22 AM
The love for Bohemian Rhapsody is odd to me. It's a clever song but strikes me as a novelty tune.

Rausch
03-23-2011, 10:23 AM
The love for Bohemian Rhapsody is odd to me. It's a clever song but strikes me as a novelty tune.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of rock opera...

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 10:25 AM

I really like the song, but I agree with you. This song could easily have been written by Burt Bacharach or John Williams or Andrew Lloyed Weber or Mozart and wouldn't even be considered for the poll. I think the appeal is that it's unique and has several styles, so I'm comfortable voting for it, but to some extent it's an homage to Queen that it gets the support it does.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Hell's Bells appears to be making a strong claim for the third spot. It was a battle royale there for a while. Let's see if anyone rallies.

kc rush
03-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Rush (shocking, I know), Beatles, VH this go round.

ISUJeff
03-23-2011, 11:17 AM
I would've voted for my 4th, 5th, 6th choices in the last heat over anything in this one

Bugeater
03-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Rush & the Beatles. I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of the others. Queen probably deserves it, but I'm soooo sick of that fucking song....
Same here, and it wasn't that great to begin with.

Halfcan
03-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

:thumb: I agree!!

Nice to see some Rush love on this board for a change!!

Halfcan
03-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Rush (shocking, I know), Beatles, VH this go round.

Nice pic of the Rush Hollywood Star!!

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 12:34 PM
While Rhapsody and Sawyer duke it out, Bells is creeping up on them like a ninja cat.

Chiefburger
03-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Yes, those Monster Truck fans should aspire to make more jokes about rape. Then they'll begin to reach a more sophisticated level of art appreciation.

ah, you found me out! so are you team Grave Digger or team Big Foot?

Chiefburger
03-23-2011, 12:49 PM
can we put all six AC/DC songs that advance into the same poll next time? i can't think of how else to kill them off. i know i'm in the minority here but the idea of having an all-AC/DC final round is terrifying.

blaise
03-23-2011, 12:51 PM
ah, you found me out! so are you team Grave Digger or team Big Foot?

I just found out you apparently know about Monster Truck team names.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 01:07 PM
can we put all six AC/DC songs that advance into the same poll next time? i can't think of how else to kill them off. i know i'm in the minority here but the idea of having an all-AC/DC final round is terrifying.

When I drew the random heat placements, I looked excitedly to see if AC/DC and Guns N Roses would be cannibalizing each other. Alas, they tended to draw really good placement while some other performers are being thrown into pits of piranha.

Rain Man
03-23-2011, 01:08 PM
And 81 votes later, Rhapsody takes the lead. That's got to be a record.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 09:34 AM
This one resolved itself rather early.

Moving on are:

Bohemian Rhapsody
Tom Sawyer
Hell's Bells

burt
03-24-2011, 10:21 AM
This one resolved itself rather early.

Moving on are:

Bohemian Rhapsody
Tom Sawyer
Hell's Bells

I have no idea how Tom Sawyer OR Bohemian Rhapsody beat out Helter Skelter, but Hell's Bells, ROCKS!

Solsbury Hill, is one of my all time favorite tunes, but I couldn't vote for it because it is pop. I does not rock. but Hell's Bells, ROCKS!

Omaha
03-24-2011, 10:27 AM
I have no idea how... Bohemian Rhapsody beat out Helter Skelter,

:clap:

but Hell's Bells, ROCKS!

:facepalm:

burt
03-24-2011, 10:29 AM
:clap:

:facepalm:

I grew up with that song. Well, grew older, still trying to grow up!