PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 2, Heat 5

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 05:20 PM
This is kind of an unlucky draw for a couple of performers, because Tom Petty and Aerosmith are being chained together and forced to duke it out, while four hard rockin' performers also take each other on. Let's see how it turns out.

Reaper16
03-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Putting two Petty Songs and two Aerosmith songs together is b.s.

My votes:

Both Heartbreakers tracks, and I literally coinflipped between both Aerosmith tracks. "Dream On" won the third vote. I wouldn't have voted for "Free Fallin'" but I wanted to increase the chances of a Petty song advancing.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 05:28 PM
My rankings:

Free Fallin', Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - I'm going Petty in the #1 and #2 spots here, and the only question is which one comes first. I'm going with Free Fallin' first because I like it better overall, even though it's not as rockin' as American Girl. I think it's more complex. #2 vote.

Dream On, Aerosmith - Nice song that I'm betting isn't done by cover bands very often. "Sal, we need to reach a high C above a high C." #3 vote.

American Girl, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Love that staggered refrain, and it's a head-bobbing song.

My Generation, The Who - I like it. I have no problem if it advances. I just can't put it in my top three.

Dirty Deeds (done dirt cheap), AC/DC - This is an okay song. I like the concept. I don't think it should move on, but it won't kill me either way.

Sweet Emotion, Aerosmith - Not among my favorite Aerosmith songs, but not objectionable.

Sympathy For The Devil, The Rolling Stones - I'm still studying this song like that dog looking into the RCA Victrola, trying to figure out why it's so popular.

Voodoo Chile, Jimi Hendrix - You can have it. Not into the sound.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Putting two Petty Songs and two Aerosmith songs together is b.s.

My votes:

Both Heartbreakers tracks, and I literally coinflipped between both Aerosmith tracks. "Dream On" won the third vote. I wouldn't have voted for "Free Fallin'" but I wanted to increase the chances of a Petty song advancing.

Yeah, I wasn't happy about this draw, but I didn't think it appropriate to intervene.

We voted identically, it appears. Good job.

headsnap
03-24-2011, 05:34 PM
There is much less Dylan in this round... :thumb:

Ebolapox
03-24-2011, 05:37 PM
american girl, voodoo chile and dream on.

cdcox
I think people like Petty because he looks good comparison to the other lousy bands that came out in the late 1970's/early 1980's. It was a wasteland of music.

The other reason they like him is the connection with his namesake, 43.

cdcox
Sympathy, Voodo, Generation.

seclark
03-24-2011, 05:38 PM
petty
petty
dream on
sec

Bugeater
03-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Sympathy For The Devil, The Rolling Stones - I'm still studying this song like that dog looking into the RCA Victrola, trying to figure out why it's so popular.
:shrug: Try this version of it:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZQn1k9WPeLM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bugeater
03-24-2011, 05:41 PM
I think people like Petty because he looks good comparison to the other lousy bands that came out in the late 1970's/early 1980's. It was a wasteland of music.

Most of my favorite music is from the late 70s and early 80s, it was after that everything went to hell.

Pablo
03-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Holy stacked heat Rainman.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 05:49 PM

I thought you were just being cruel, but I listened to that and actually like it. It's really bending my mind that I'm not a Guns N Roses fan and I'm not a fan of the Stones' version of the song, but I do like Guns N Roses singing the song. Weird.

Bugeater
03-24-2011, 05:53 PM
American Girl - ok song, not even close to Petty's best though, no vote
Dirty Deeds - fuck AC/DC. Seriously, fuck them. no vote
Sympathy for the Devil - Hell yes, vote
Voodoo Chile - Not a big Hendrix fan, no vote
My Generation - I've always found that song annoying for some reason, no vote
Free Fallin' - Bleh, no vote
Sweet Emotion and Dream On - Both great songs twenty years ago, but if I never hear either of them (or any other Aerosmith song) ever again, it will be too soon. No votes.

cdcox
03-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Most of my favorite music is from the late 70s and early 80s, it was after that everything went to hell.

Men without Hats
Duran Duran
Flock of Seagulls
Peter Gabrial (sans Genesis)
Phil Collins (sans Genesis)
Tears for Fears
Madonna
Pat Benatar
Cindi Lauper
Thomas Dolby
Survivor
Rick Springfield

By the 1980s, a lot of good bands from the 1970 were on the down hill side of their career.

Late 70's was dominated by disco.

By the mid-1980s, Rock was dominated by hair bands that all sounded the same.

I just want to punch myself in the nuts thinking about this.

Bugeater
03-24-2011, 05:55 PM
I thought you were just being cruel, but I listened to that and actually like it. It's really bending my mind that I'm not a Guns N Roses fan and I'm not a fan of the Stones' version of the song, but I do like Guns N Roses singing the song. Weird.
IMO it's leaps and bounds better than the Stones' version, which is unusual for a cover. And I'm not a huge GnR fan either.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Holy stacked heat Rainman.

They're all stacked from here on out. The third round will have people openly weeping and hurling themselves in front of trains.

Bugeater
03-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Men without Hats
Duran Duran
Flock of Seagulls
Peter Gabrial (sans Genesis)
Phil Collins (sans Genesis)
Tears for Fears
Madonna
Pat Benatar
Cindi Lauper
Thomas Dolby
Survivor
Rick Springfield

By the 1980s, a lot of good bands from the 1970 were on the down hill side of their career.

Late 70's was dominated by disco.

By the mid-1980s, Rock was dominated by hair bands that all sounded the same.

I just want to punch myself in the nuts thinking about this.
Eh, the stuff you listed is what I consider mid 80s, most of the early 80s stuff I like were 70s holdovers. And yes, disco was horrible, but there was a lot of other good stuff coming out in the late 70s that wasn't disco. Styx, REO, Fleetwood Mac, Jefferson Starship, ELO and many other great bands were at their peak in the late 70s.

Rasputin
03-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Sympathy for the Devil
Sweet Emotion
Voodoo Child

but I hate not voting for the rest :banghead:

Rasputin
03-24-2011, 06:10 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P_VL8ZU5fSI?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P_VL8ZU5fSI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

:thumb: Good job Rain Man voting for this song....

Pitt Gorilla
03-24-2011, 06:31 PM
Great heat.

cdcox
03-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Eh, the stuff you listed is what I consider mid 80s, most of the early 80s stuff I like were 70s holdovers. And yes, disco was horrible, but there was a lot of other good stuff coming out in the late 70s that wasn't disco. Styx, REO, Fleetwood Mac, Jefferson Starship, ELO and many other great bands were at their peak in the late 70s.

All of those bands were active when I was in college and I graduated in 1983. Maybe that stuff didn't reach Nebraska for a couple more years.

Styx's last good album was in 1978.
REO's last good album was 1978
Fleetwood Mac's last good album was 1977
Jefferson Starship lasted a little longer.
ELO peaked in 1979

So when Tom Petty had his 1979 breakout album, most of the good bands had pretty much had their run.

Bugeater
03-24-2011, 06:39 PM
All of those bands were active when I was in college and I graduated in 1983. Maybe that stuff didn't reach Nebraska for a couple more years.

Styx's last good album was in 1978.
REO's last good album was 1978
Fleetwood Mac's last good album was 1977
Jefferson Starship lasted a little longer.
ELO peaked in 1979

So when Tom Petty had his 1979 breakout album, most of the good bands had pretty much had their run.
:spock: All those dates you listed were in the late 70s.

Let's just agree that everything went to shit in the 80s, never to return again, and leave it at that. I'm feeling like we're splitting hairs here.

cdcox
03-24-2011, 06:43 PM
:spock: All those dates you listed were in the late 70s.

Let's just agree that everything went to shit in the 80s, never to return again, and leave it at that. I'm feeling like we're splitting hairs here.

My original point was that most of the bands that would appeal to Petty fans (like the ones you listed) were played out by the time Petty started getting a lot of air play. Competition was much less.

Gadzooks
03-24-2011, 07:02 PM
IMO it's leaps and bounds better than the Stones' version, which is unusual for a cover. And I'm not a huge GnR fan either.

G'n'R's version of Knockin' on Heaven's door is way better than the Dylan version.
For that matter, everybody who covers Dylan's songs seem to do a better job.
Good example is Leslie West with Ozzy doing Masters of War:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N_dAJiMOBRU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reaper16
03-24-2011, 07:41 PM

People like Petty because The Heartbreakers are the best rock band in American history.

RJ
03-24-2011, 07:47 PM
This heat is just wrong. I can't pick three. The Tom Petty and Aerosmith songs shouldn't be together. Oh my, oh my.....

Chiefnj2
03-24-2011, 07:52 PM
1. Sympathy
2. Dream On
3. Free Fallin'

RJ
03-24-2011, 07:58 PM
I had to choose Sweet Emotion over Dream On. So close but I think it's the better song. The intro bass line seals it for me. Leaving Voodoo Child off was tough but it wasn't Jimi's best song.

patteeu
03-24-2011, 07:59 PM

Huh?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. NASCAR isn't my trivia strength.

Bugeater
03-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Huh?
http://image.stockcarracing.com/f/9450139+w750+st0/scrp_0806w_03_z+richard_petty+race_car.jpg

patteeu
03-24-2011, 08:03 PM

Good one. Is there any song Guns N Roses didn't cover?

patteeu
03-24-2011, 08:17 PM
#1 Rolling Stones, Sympathy for the Devil
#2 Aerosmith, Sweet Emotion
#3 Tom Petty, American Girl (it was a coin flip for me between this one and Free Falling).

Bugeater
03-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Good one. Is there any song Guns N Roses didn't cover?
Huh? Mama Kin and Live and Let Die are the only other ones I can think of off the top of my head. They certainly weren't as bad as Van Halen when it comes to covering songs.

patteeu
03-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Huh? Mama Kin and Live and Let Die are the only other ones I can think of off the top of my head. They certainly weren't as bad as Van Halen when it comes to covering songs.

KC Tatoo and others have been posting covers (and Axel collaborations) of all kinds of songs in these threads. I don't think many of them appear on GnR albums though.

RJ
03-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Holy shit, I somehow didn't notice My Generation which would have been my #1 choice. Wow, what a heat.

Rasputin
03-24-2011, 08:48 PM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YWgf-fk2Ka4&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YWgf-fk2Ka4&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

GnR did a tribute album Spahgetti Incident. They covered multidude of bands and it rocks! It was for fun and give back to the bands the inspired them. It was a follow up CD to the Use your Illusions. GnR has done it all, created new and covered the old. They are tallented.

Pitt Gorilla
03-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Holy shit, I somehow didn't notice My Generation which would have been my #1 choice. Wow, what a heat.Eh, Voodoo Chile is somehow losing. :shake:

RJ
03-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Eh, Voodoo Chile is somehow losing. :shake:

There are 5 songs here that would be my #1 in many/most heats. I don't understand how this could happen. It's a traveshamockery.

Pitt Gorilla
03-24-2011, 09:07 PM
There are 5 songs here that would be my #1 in many/most heats. I don't understand how this could happen. It's a traveshamockery.Rainman, ostensibly, does something like this for a living.

Chiefburger
03-24-2011, 09:15 PM
American Girl.
Sweet Emotion
Dream On

I didn't know I liked Aerosmith this much. And I still don't know how Voodoo Chile makes this tournament but not Voodoo Child. Not like I'd vote for either but the former is straight-up terrible. Yes, straight up.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Rainman, ostensibly, does something like this for a living.

Yeah, but I'm not very good at it.

cdcox
03-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Eh, Voodoo Chile is somehow losing. :shake:

Hold on, I thought I was voting for

Voodoo Child (slight return)

instead of

Voodoo Chile.

That is very confusing. I think Voodoo Child (slight return) would do better than Voodoo Chile, if people were aware of the difference.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Hold on, I thought I was voting for

Voodoo Child (slight return)

instead of

Voodoo Chile.

That is very confusing. I think Voodoo Child (slight return) would do better than Voodoo Chile, if people were aware of the difference.

Are they both Hendrix songs? That's insane.

Pitt Gorilla
03-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Yeah, but I'm not very good at it.I don't believe that at all.

RJ
I assumed Voodoo Child was the candidate, which I didn't vote for at all and which was a far superior song to every option in heat 4. Ostensibly, of course.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WoAXW30mMAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pitt Gorilla
Are they both Hendrix songs? That's insane.Yup. Both good.

RJ
03-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Yeah, but I'm not very good at it.

You must be pretty good at it if you can afford to make trips from Denver all the way to KC.

Psyko Tek
03-24-2011, 09:30 PM
dream on really?

cdcox
03-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Are they both Hendrix songs? That's insane.

Yep, both from the same album. The story is that they laid down Chile first. Chile is a rambling, 15 minute historical tour through the blues via jam session. The next day they came back and laid down Voodoo Child (slight return), which is the more familiar recording. Neither song was really planned out before they went into the studio.

I just wonder what Hendrix would have achieved had he lived longer.

Reaper16
03-24-2011, 09:37 PM
The state of the poll is pretty sad when people don't even know what song they're voting for. :shake:

RJ
03-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Yep, both from the same album. The story is that they laid down Chile first. Chile is a rambling, 15 minute historical tour through the blues via jam session. The next day they came back and laid down Voodoo Child (slight return), which is the more familiar recording. Neither song was really planned out before they went into the studio.

I just wonder what Hendrix would have achieved had he lived longer.

Two guys I always wondered what they might have accomplished, Jimi and Len Bias.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 09:43 PM
You must be pretty good at it if you can afford to make trips from Denver all the way to KC.

Actually, I post from Denver. We have internet access here, and it's easier than driving all that way just to make a thread.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm boggled by this phenomenon of having two songs on an album that only differ by one slight misspelling. That doesn't seem very creative. Or maybe it's very creative. I don't know.

Rasputin
03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e8Extf6Ty0Y&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e8Extf6Ty0Y&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

BigChiefFan
03-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Aerosmith over Hendrix? Jesus H.

Pitt Gorilla
03-24-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm boggled by this phenomenon of having two songs on an album that only differ by one slight misspelling. That doesn't seem very creative. Or maybe it's very creative. I don't know.You do realize that chile and child are two very different things.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 09:49 PM
You do realize that chile and child are two very different things.

Is chile not a colloquialism for child? Or do they intend for it to be the hot thing you eat? I assumed it was something like, "Lawdy, chile, eat yo' grits!"

Pitt Gorilla
03-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Is chile not a colloquialism for child? Or do they intend for it to be the hot thing you eat? I assumed it was something like, "Lawdy, chile, eat yo' grits!"You're absolutely correct, RM, I was attempting a very-poorly executed joke.

Omaha
03-24-2011, 09:56 PM
There will be some good songs left behind here and we have AC/DC & possiblu Kansas advancing in other heats. Not cool.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 09:56 PM
You're absolutely correct, RM, I was attempting a very-poorly executed joke.

Oh. Sorry for ruining it. I'm not very evolved when it comes to Jimi Hendrix.

About the only thing I know about him is that I was watching some documentary one time about rock music, and someone was being interviewed who was involved with a Hendrix concert. I think it was some backstage guy, but it might have been another musician. I remember him saying that he was quite surprised to look over at one point and Jimi was in the middle of a song on stage while simultaneously receiving oral sex.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 09:57 PM
There will be some good songs left behind here and we have AC/DC & possiblu Kansas advancing in other heats. Not cool.

Kansas is the Beethoven of rock and roll.

Slainte
03-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Stones, Hendrix, Who

kc rush
03-25-2011, 06:56 AM
I voted for American Girl, Dirty Deeds, My Generation even though none of those songs are my favorites by those particular artists. From this round, Free Falling is the only song I'm not big on.

Omaha
03-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Kansas is the Beethoven of rock and roll.

Does that make Springsteen the Billy Ray Cyrus?

Rain Man
03-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Does that make Springsteen the Billy Ray Cyrus?

Mozart, my friend. Mozart. And Bach. Mozart and Bach combined. And a good portion of Mussorgsky.

Nixhex
03-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Sympathy, Voodo, Generation.

Bingo

Rain Man
03-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Closing the poll. And when the dust settled, Aerosmith stood proudly with nary a scratch. Moving on are:

Dream On
Sympathy for the Devil
Sweet Emotion

Rasputin
03-25-2011, 09:18 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D4hAVemuQXY?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D4hAVemuQXY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

---

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lvEYZnWF9Hg?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lvEYZnWF9Hg?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

nsfw heh...

KurtCobain
03-25-2011, 09:22 PM
yeah dream on is cool because of eminem

Rasputin
03-25-2011, 09:23 PM
yeah dream on is cool because of eminem

idk about that 2pac bust it out

RJ
03-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Actually, I post from Denver. We have internet access here, and it's easier than driving all that way just to make a thread.

I don't understand how that's possible. I get a headache just thinking about it.

Easy 6
03-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Aerosmith over Hendrix? Jesus H.

I loves me some classic Aerosmith, but i'm with you on Jimi's overall showing... not to mention its one of his masterworks.

There simply arent enough of these :shake: to go around.