PDA

View Full Version : Electronics iPhone/Android app idea...

AustinChief
03-24-2011, 06:25 PM
ok, so I was looking into the new COLOR (http://www.color.com/) app and had an idea...

Why hasn't anyone released a proximity dating app? Basically something where you setup a dating profile that shows up on other peoples phones if they are within 100ft or so. Something simple that lets you message the other person and say something like "here is my profile (link) if you're interested in chatting, I'll be at the jukebox"..

yeah I know it sounds stalkeriffic and cheesy... but I bet it'd work.

Thoughts?

(after looking into COLOR, I can easily see it being used for this purpose, but it may be better to have something that was specifically geared toward singles "on the prowl.")

SDChiefs
03-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Lol. You watch bones don't you.

AustinChief
03-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Lol. You watch bones don't you.

Nope... did this idea already get discussed?

Rain Man
I've had that thought before and thought it would be a great idea. In the old world, the only cue you could get was a lack of a ring, but that's obviously imperfect and passive. In the new world, it seems quite reasonable to have a perfect and active sending of the same message.

I think some cell phone company tried to do something like that with texting or some other technology years ago, but it obviously never took off.

I suspect that the key would be whether women used it or not. Market research on guys is probably the easy half of the equation.

shirtsleeve
Sounds like a great idea. Then when she replies, I can send her a pic of my junk and actually see her response! I LIKE it!!!

BTW, hey austin, haven't talked since I left the other place.

SDChiefs
03-24-2011, 06:31 PM

Yeah there was an episode where the victim was on a dating site exactly how you explained.

crazycoffey
03-24-2011, 06:32 PM
BTW, hey austin, haven't talked since I left the other place.

dane?

AustinChief
03-24-2011, 06:32 PM
I've had that thought before and thought it would be a great idea. In the old world, the only cue you could get was a lack of a ring, but that's obviously imperfect and passive. In the new world, it seems quite reasonable to have a perfect and active sending of the same message.

I think some cell phone company tried to do something like that with texting or some other technology years ago, but it obviously never took off.

I suspect that the key would be whether women used it or not. Market research on guys is probably the easy half of the equation.

If you look at the stats on dating sites, there are tons of girls using online dating... I think the KEY would be to get one of the big online sites (preferably whatever is biggest in the 21-30 crowd) to market the app for you.

shirtsleeve
03-24-2011, 06:34 PM
dane?

No, this board's step child. I nuked myself there about a year ago when they split the board.

Bearcat
03-24-2011, 06:35 PM
So, the dating app would be like this, but for your phone...

http://media1.teenormous.com/items/mf0.donkeyts.com/artifacts-images-design_data-B1DDE8-thumb-275x274-design-356.png

I like it.

Fritz88
03-24-2011, 06:38 PM
ok, so I was looking into the new COLOR (http://www.color.com/) app and had an idea...

Why hasn't anyone released a proximity dating app? Basically something where you setup a dating profile that shows up on other peoples phones if they are within 100ft or so. Something simple that lets you message the other person and say something like "here is my profile (link) if you're interested in chatting, I'll be at the jukebox"..

yeah I know it sounds stalkeriffic and cheesy... but I bet it'd work.

Thoughts?

(after looking into COLOR, I can easily see it being used for this purpose, but it may be better to have something that was specifically geared toward singles "on the prowl.")

Something pretty similar is already out. A friend actually showed me something similar the other night. It is a chatting program where you setup a profile and set the distance for showing available people you want to chat with. I forgot the name though.

AustinChief
03-24-2011, 06:41 PM
So, the dating app would be like this, but for your phone...

http://media1.teenormous.com/items/mf0.donkeyts.com/artifacts-images-design_data-B1DDE8-thumb-275x274-design-356.png

I like it.

ha, yes but based on proximity... so if I am at a bar (let's say Granfalloon in the Plaza)... my phone app would notify me of all single girls in the bar (I'm guessing a 100ft radius would be fine) also using the app and who have their status set as "available" (I would have a bunch of funny statuses here... "on a date but need help..." etc..).. I could then message them or they could message me (via the app) and possibly arrange to chat in person.. buy them a drink.. etc...

AustinChief
03-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Something pretty similar is already out. A friend actually showed me something similar the other night. It is a chatting program where you setup a profile and set the distance for showing available people you want to chat with. I forgot the name though.

I think something that was specific to dating would have a much broader appeal. Who knows though.

crazycoffey
03-24-2011, 06:44 PM
seems like the creep level could be high with that app though. A young lady leaves her phone on while charging and goes to bed. Creep walking the street looking for "available singles" within 100 ft.....

or at least a good CSI episode anyway.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 06:44 PM
If you look at the stats on dating sites, there are tons of girls using online dating... I think the KEY would be to get one of the big online sites (preferably whatever is biggest in the 21-30 crowd) to market the app for you.

Yeah, but online is a lot different than being within a hundred feet of someone. Women are all weird about not getting sexually assaulted and stalked and stuff. Dunno why.

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 06:46 PM
An app that would do what you're talking about, and is also linked to show their scores on a site like hotornot would be great. That way if you get pinged by someone you know whether to run toward them or away from them for reproduction purposes.

AustinChief
03-24-2011, 06:46 PM
seems like the creep level could be high with that app though. A young lady leaves her phone on while charging and goes to bed. Creep walking the street looking for "available singles" within 100 ft.....

True but you could have the app set to shutdown due to inactivity or when charging or during certain hours (3am-8am)

AustinChief
03-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah, but online is a lot different than being within a hundred feet of someone. Women are all weird about not getting sexually assaulted and stalked and stuff. Dunno why.

I think there are ways around that... basically an opt-in for showing your pic on the profile etc etc... I actually think the safety concerns are a non-issue. I could tech my way around that.

AustinChief
03-24-2011, 06:48 PM
An app that would do what you're talking about, and is also linked to show their scores on a site like hotornot would be great. That way if you get pinged by someone you know whether to run toward them or away from them for reproduction purposes.

Well actually, if you get pinged... you can do some automated "flirt".. send a virtual drink or message the person and they can choose to share or not share pics and you can take it from there.

shirtsleeve
03-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Quiet you!

Ruining it!!

AustinChief
ok, the more I think about it.. the more I think this is actually a viable app if it gets marketed well...

OK, NOBODY STEAL MY SINGLES STALKER APP !

:D

chop

I don't think it's been discussed here but there was an episode of Bones where the guy, that ran the place that had this technology, killed one of his clients.

Bearcat
03-24-2011, 06:52 PM
ha, yes but based on proximity... so if I am at a bar (let's say Granfalloon in the Plaza)... my phone app would notify me of all single girls in the bar (I'm guessing a 100ft radius would be fine) also using the app and who have their status set as "available" (I would have a bunch of funny statuses here... "on a date but need help..." etc..).. I could then message them or they could message me (via the app) and possibly arrange to chat in person.. buy them a drink.. etc...

Interesting idea... people already check into places using FB Places, foursquare, etc; so it's just tying in the dating scene. I know you're talking proximity and not checking into places, but it's the same basic concept as far as knowing who's around, and as far as dealing with privacy issues. You can see who's checked into a bar or whatever on FB, so you're just adding (at minimum) one more thing to it... their relationship status (and after that, the option to chat, etc).

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Wait a minute, wait a minute. I've got it.

When you buy the app, you register your information that goes to some central site. When you ping another person, they can click and (while you're still anonymous) pull up your criminal record through a partnership with one of those background check sites.

The beauty of this is that chicks will want it, which means that guys will follow. And further, a guy who doesn't have it will automatically be assumed to be an audiophile or some other criminal, so any guy without a criminal record will more or less be forced to buy it.

CrazyPhuD
03-24-2011, 06:58 PM
so I believe this type of functionality exists in a number of the location based apps. Understand also, conservatively there are probably at least a 1000 other groups working on something like this, including all of the major and new dating sites. In short this isn't a new idea, but to some degree that the truth of many concepts.

It's also true that the vast majority of those attempts will fail utterly. Probably the number one reason they will fail is because they have a male designing them. In short when it comes to something like this the male opinion is 110% irrelevant. The only opinion that matters is the female one. If you are tailoring anything in an app like based upon male wants it's a big mistake. The only concern you should have is designing something that women want and women will use. That will be the hardest aspect and that will be the most critical to your success.

What you need is to appeal to the female and effectively ignore the male. This is part of why it will be very difficult for any male to develop this app. Unconsciously you will put in features that you will want instead of those features that are best and most desired for women. In fact many features that women would want will likely screw over your male users but that's ok. The simple reality is men will go wherever the women are. If you get the most women using your app you will win.

shirtsleeve
03-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Wait a minute, wait a minute. I've got it.

When you buy the app, you register your information that goes to some central site. When you ping another person, they can click and (while you're still anonymous) pull up your criminal record through a partnership with one of those background check sites.

The beauty of this is that chicks will want it, which means that guys will follow. And further, a guy who doesn't have it will automatically be assumed to be an audiophile or some other criminal, so any guy without a criminal record will more or less be forced to buy it.

Will this record only show convictions? Just askin'

headsnap
03-24-2011, 07:35 PM
There is a Gay Social Media app that already does that...

NTTIAWWT...

Rain Man
03-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Will this record only show convictions? Just askin'

Only convictions. And before you ask, the gay identifier will only show up if you're, you know, flaming.