PDA

View Full Version : KU March Madness: If You Root Against Kansas, You Root Against America

CrazyPhuD
03-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Yea this deserves it's own thread and I didn't see it in the KU thread or the lounge. So if it's a repost too bad it's good enough it deserves to be reposted! :thumb:

http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2011/03/march-madness-if-you-root-against-kansas-you-root-against-america/72991/

If you follow college basketball, you may well hate the University of Kansas. Jeremy Stahl certainly does. Writing in Slate's annual NCAA tournament "Teams We Hate" feature, Stahl called the Jayhawks "odious" and "contemptible."

No big shock. Kansas—along with North Carolina, Kentucky, and Duke—is one of those teams that fans love to hate, like the Yankees, the Lakers, or Dallas Cowboys. KU is a high-dollar, high-pressure program, perennially in the top 20, usually in the top five, and always a threat to make the Final Four. Of course people root against the Jayhawks. Tonight, for example. Unless, like President Obama, you picked KU to win the National Championship, you will probably cheer against the Jayhawks tonight as they take on 12th-seeded Richmond. That's only natural. As Kansas alum Wilt Chamberlain once famously said, "Nobody roots for Goliath."

In this case though, that's a real shame. It's shame because hating on the Jayhawks means you hate the United States of America. Yes, you read that right.

The Jayhawk, a mythical mix of a blue jay's cunning with the ferocity of a hawk, was born in pre-Civil war era "Bleeding Kansas," when the strange bird was adopted as the mascot of abolitionist forces fighting for Kansas to enter the Union as free state. The Jayhawkers battled with Border Ruffians, many from Missouri, who wanted to bring slavery into the new territory, and who ultimately sparked a horrific, bloody war of secession. Surely, it's more than mere coincidence that the pro-Union Jayhawks must face a team from the old capital of the Confederacy tonight, and could face another on Sunday.

If you root against KU basketball, then, you are actually rooting for slavery. You're supporting the Confederacy over United States, cheering for racism, oppression, and war, and, not for nothing, you want President Obama to fail—all of which are certainly "odious" and "contemptible" by any reasonable definitions.

Or maybe Stahl just hates sports history.

Kansas basketball, certainly, has a history as rich as any team in the country, no matter what the sport, at any level of college or the pros. The first coach of KU basketball, after all, was the first coach of any basketball team, anywhere, ever. James A. Naismith brought his newly-invented sport to Lawrence in 1898, coaching for seven years before handing the reins to his heir and greatest pupil, Forrest C. "Phog" Allen.

Allen essentially created the game of basketball as we know it. He streamlined Naismith's invention, creating a sleeker, faster sport, and he founded, through sheer force of his will, many of the college basketball institutions and traditions people like Jeremy Stahl enjoy today. For just a hint of Allen's enormous influence, consider the history of two other college programs, North Carolina and Kentucky.

Both schools, as Stahl probably knows, play in buildings named for their greatest coaches. Just as KU plays in Allen Field House, the Kentucky Wildcats plays in Rupp Area, named after Adolph Rupp, while North Carolina's Tarheels play in a dome named for the legendary Dean Smith.

Does Jeremy Stahl also know, however, that Rupp and Smith both played college ball, and learned coaching, under Phog Allen at Kansas? Because they did.

Allen also was the driving force behind basketball being made an Olympic event. Without that 1936 milestone, the game would never have gone global, there would never have been any Dream Teams, and today there wouldn't be dozens of international players spicing up the NBA. If, Lord forbid, Phog Allen had never lived, Tony Parker and Pau Gasol would be playing soccer right now. While Yao Ming, meanwhile, would just be some very tall poor guy in China.

Really, if you think about it, it's very cruel of Jeremy Stahl to hope that Yao Ming lives in poverty.

Oh, and this whole March Madness/Big Dance/Bracketology thing? The tournament of thrills the whole country goes mad for each spring? That was Phog's idea, too. Allen founded the postseason tournament in 1939, through his National Association of Basketball Coaches, and handed off its management to the NCAA the following year.

Yep. As it turns out, Jeremy Stahl even hates the NCAA tournament. Can you believe this guy?

Stahl, however, is right about one thing. He was right to criticize some of the players on this year's Jayhawk roster.

Like Mario Little, for instance, suspended earlier this season after his arrest in a late-night domestic disturbance. Or the twins, Marcus and Markieff Morris, who may be perfectly friendly young men off the court, but had to break an unfortunate habit of throwing elbows on it. Or what about point guard Tyshawn Taylor? He was suspended during conference play for being a self-described "bad kid," which rumormongers claim was a dalliance with his girlfriend under the seats at Allen Field House.

Funny? Sure. But very, very against the rules, detrimental to the team, and really not the kind of thing you look for in a leader.

That kind of junk just isn't what Kansas Basketball is supposed to represent. KU may not be all snooty like Duke, with delusions of Ivy grandeur, but Jayhawk fans do expect better than tawdry sexcapades and low-rent thuggery. The Jayhawk Faithful expect more than that—from any player who accepts the challenge of wearing the crimson and blue.

Like Tyrel Reed, for instance. A senior from little Burlington, Kansas, Reed is not only living a childhood dream of playing for Kansas, he will graduate early, in three and a half years, and was named as a first-team Academic All-American.

Surely Jeremy Stahl doesn't root against kids who good grades? Surely he also wouldn't root against sophomore Thomas Robinson.

Robinson, at just 19 years old, endured more loss this season than most people could stand in a decade. In late December, his grandmother died. Less than two weeks later, his grandfather followed. Just days after that, in mid-January, Robinson's mother Lisa passed away from an apparent heart attack at age 43—a brutal stretch for the young man. At least, though, he has had his teammates, coaches, and the whole KU community around him, and it's been inspiring to see the support Robinson and his younger sister Jayla have received.

With due respect to Richmond Spider fans—some of whom, unlike Jeremy Stahl, may not actually be pro-slavery—basketball in Kansas isn't a casual thing. For most fans around the country, of the average college hoops team, basketball is something that happens a couple of times a week, a few months a year, after football season is over.

Not for the Jayhawk Faithful, insanely committed and knowledgeable, who critique every shot, even in exhibition games, and follow every off-season recruiting rumor like national security is at stake. Show up on a game night at Allen sometime. A bad pass, a double-dribble, or silly foul will elicit genuine gasps of shock from the crowd—even if the 'Hawks are up by 30. To grow up a Jayhawk is to grow up indoctrinated. It's like being raised in a strict fundamentalist church—but the only fundamentals that matter are footwork, hustle, shot selection, and knowing how to guard the pick-and-roll.

So, go ahead, casual hoops fans. Root against the Jayhawks, if you must. Sure, it means that you show no love for passionate basketball fans, and have no respect for the history of the game. Sure, rooting against KU also means that you support slavery, hate America, and want the President of the United States to fail. Oh, well. At least you'll have Jeremy Stahl on your side.

luv
03-25-2011, 01:36 PM
:rolleyes:

Talk about over the top.

Frazod
03-25-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't know who Jeremy Stahl is, but I need to send him a FB friend request.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-25-2011, 01:46 PM
One of the best arguments against Freedom of the Press I've yet seen.

SuperChief
03-25-2011, 01:53 PM
A little much, I can attest to this. Even though I'm a huge KU fan, it was over the top. At least he went into the history a bit and may have even educated someone.

Pants
03-25-2011, 01:55 PM
One of the best arguments against Freedom of the Press I've yet seen.

http://icanhasinternets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/haters6.jpg

Chief Chief
03-25-2011, 01:56 PM
If you root against KU, you're also rooting against Danny Manning's father, who's dead, so you should just as well join the 'tards of Westboro.

notorious
03-25-2011, 01:57 PM
If I rooting against KU is like rooting against America, call me Bin Laden.

J/K, I support the in-state schools and hope they do well.

gblowfish
03-25-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm rooting for spider bites...

Pants
03-25-2011, 02:02 PM
George...

Why do you hate America?

Frazod
03-25-2011, 02:02 PM
A little much, I can attest to this. Even though I'm a huge KU fan, it was over the top. At least he went into the history a bit and may have even educated someone.

Sure, if you like your history to be completely biased and stupid. That shit read like it was written by Wickedson and Al Sharpton.

gblowfish
03-25-2011, 02:07 PM
George...

Why do you hate America?
I don't hate America...
Just Lawrence, KS.

chiefsnorth
03-25-2011, 02:11 PM
Paying off columnists is a little over the top. If they want to increase their notoriety they should start a football program.

Reaper16
03-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Suddenly, 9/11 looks completely justified.

Pants
03-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Paying off columnists is a little over the top. If they want to increase their notoriety they should start a football program.

Dude lives in KC and is a huge Hawk fan. Don't think he was paid off, bro.

ReynardMuldrake
03-25-2011, 02:15 PM
I don't hate America...
Just Lawrence, KS.

Only 1.4 megatons? C'mon, you can do better than that.

Stewie
03-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Funny!

<dl><dd>Otter: Point of parliamentary procedure!</dd><dd>Hoover: Don't screw around, they're serious this time!</dd><dd>Otter: [aside] Take it easy, I'm pre-law.</dd><dd>Boon: I thought you were pre-med.</dd><dd>Otter: What's the difference? [aloud] Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests—we did. [winks at Dean Wormer] But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg: isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but I for one am not going to stand here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!</dd><dd>[Leads the Deltas out of the hearing, all humming the Star-Spangled Banner]</dd><dd>Greg: Order!</dd><dd>Dean Wormer: You've done it this time buster! No more Delta! I'm calling the national office! I'm going to revoke your charter! And if you wiseguys do one more thing, one more, I'm going to kick you out of college! No more fun of any kind!</dd></dl>

Pitt Gorilla
03-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Do people simply not take logic (or history) classes anymore?

Stewie
03-25-2011, 02:21 PM

Check your sarcasm meter. It's a joke.

Bambi
03-25-2011, 02:23 PM
What a hater...

University of Kansas*

For an unaffiliated fan, the greatest joy in college basketball is watching a contemptuous, overconfident powerhouse crumble. Of March's perennial contenders, the Kansas Jayhawks have been the most generous in providing these moments of unadulterated chokery, failing to make it past the Sweet 16 as a No. 1 seed five times in nine tries. The satisfying schadenfreude of watching Paul Pierce's 1998 squad (coming off of a 58-point win over Prairie View) humiliated by humble Rhode Island, the thrill of last year's top-ranked team spitting the bit against Northern Iowa … it's hard to pick my favorite Jayhawks loss.
While I sometimes feel bad for rooting against a team I don't care much about, this time around there's no reason to feel guilty about pulling for a Kansas collapse. The Jayhawks' starting point guard Tyshawn Taylor is a bully, both in real life and in the virtual world. Twin brothers Marcus and Markieff Morris, meanwhile, have a habit of hitting opposing players in the face. Worst of all, senior forward Mario Little was suspended for part of the season after he "allegedly battered [his girlfriend] and pushed her into a sink." So, come on Boston U., UNLV, Illinois, or anybody else—rock, chalk these Jayhawks out of the tournament. This year, they deserve the pain.

—Jeremy Stahl

Frazod
03-25-2011, 02:24 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the article was probably written deliberately over the top and not meant to be taken seriously. It is pretty funny.

But I also have little doubt that a many of the people who read it (a) believe every word of it as the unbiased and complete truth, (b) think the jayhawk is a real bird, and (c) couldn't find Kansas on a map.

Rooster
03-25-2011, 02:25 PM

Talk about over the top.

Don't you have a baby to make. :p:KU:

Fritz88
03-25-2011, 02:47 PM
KU

CrazyPhuD
03-25-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the article was probably written deliberately over the top and not meant to be taken seriously. It is pretty funny.

But I also have little doubt that a many of the people who read it (a) believe every word of it as the unbiased and complete truth, (b) think the jayhawk is a real bird, and (c) couldn't find Kansas on a map.

Sure it's tongue and cheek to some degree it's to counter the hatorade that comes out of a lot of people. Hey if you're a big12(and ideally Big8) rival then by all means bring the hate that's what a rivalry is for. But to random teams fans ehhh. Hell I posted this to my sister a a bit of pulling her chain because she's both an MU grad AND a Duke grad.

It's entertaining, one of the funny bits to me was that obama picked KU to win it all.

vailpass
03-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Steve Kerr on the radio this morning was laughing at Kansas' bracket. Said it looked like a lineup they would have in Lawrence n December, they should call it The j-Hawk Invitational.
Thought that was funny. Glad of it too since I have an OSU-kansas final in my pick.

Stewie
03-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Steve Kerr on the radio this morning was laughing at Kansas' bracket. Said it looked like a lineup they would have in Lawrence n December, they should call it The j-Hawk Invitational.
Thought that was funny. Glad of it too since I have an OSU-kansas final in my pick.

The joke isn't the SW bracket, the joke is that there's WAY too much weight given to mediocre teams in power conferences. The smaller schools with really good programs are always seated too low and the middling teams in big conferences are seated too high. All the "gurus" were all over the Big East until they showed their true ability, then it became "well, they had an off night" or some BS. The fact of the matter is that some of the best teams in the country don't always play in a BCS conference. One of those teams will break through and win it all one day.

chiefsnorth
03-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Unfortunately Stewie I don't think mid majors will get fair seeding/selection even if a George Mason won it. They still would rather place teams with big followings in the dance and set easier roads up for them to go deep for the TV ratings

Terribilis
03-25-2011, 03:22 PM
My co-workers response when I forwarded this article. He is a fucking communist.

"wonderful. you like the team. it is meaningful to you, on a personal and visceral level. i understand and respect (read: fear) this about you.

however, the mascot is a figure-head; it's a brand. the team no more exemplifies the origin of the "Jayhawk" than a UNC player has pine-tar upon their feet. and what, then, of the aspect of struggle? yes, the fact that sports by definition is a competition entails that there will be struggle. so that argument is out. the team are full of jayhawks as they are a part of that brand.

but none of that matters, you've chosen your brand and back-up your decision with fervor and tenacity. and, therefore, biased as you are, that bit o' vanity journalism appeals to you. glad it makes you happy and helps you further feel justified in your association with the KU brand.

oh well. hope the game tonight goes in KU's favor. "

ROYC75
03-25-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm rooting for spider bites... Bird food !:drool:

Pants
03-25-2011, 03:25 PM
My co-workers response when I forwarded this article. He is a ****ing communist.

"wonderful. you like the team. it is meaningful to you, on a personal and visceral level. i understand and respect (read: fear) this about you.

however, the mascot is a figure-head; it's a brand. the team no more exemplifies the origin of the "Jayhawk" than a UNC player has pine-tar upon their feet. and what, then, of the aspect of struggle? yes, the fact that sports by definition is a competition entails that there will be struggle. so that argument is out. the team are full of jayhawks as they are a part of that brand.

but none of that matters, you've chosen your brand and back-up your decision with fervor and tenacity. and, therefore, biased as you are, that bit o' vanity journalism appeals to you. glad it makes you happy and helps you further feel justified in your association with the KU brand.

You should ask that dude if his family owned a plantation with a bunch of slaves back in the day. Or is he a transplant like you?

Terribilis
03-25-2011, 03:26 PM
You should ask that dude if his family owned a plantation with a bunch of slaves back in the day. Or is he a transplant like you?
I told him to go listen to a Morrissey album

vailpass
03-25-2011, 03:35 PM

I'd like to have owned a plantation. Ever seen those spreads? Sweeeet.

Pants
03-25-2011, 03:42 PM
I'd like to have owned a plantation.

I don't think that's surprising to anyone.

teedubya
03-25-2011, 03:55 PM
And this is in a KU "rebuilding" year, folks.

Pants
03-25-2011, 03:56 PM
And this is in a KU "rebuilding" year, folks.

Nah, rebuilding year is going to be 2012 when the Twins are gone.

vailpass
03-25-2011, 03:57 PM
I don't think that's surprising to anyone.

?

Brock
03-25-2011, 04:02 PM
My co-workers response when I forwarded this article. He is a fucking communist.

Sounds like that guy's a barrel of laughs to be around.

ClevelandBronco
03-25-2011, 04:03 PM
If you root against KU basketball, then, you are actually rooting for slavery.

If that's what it costs, I can live with that.

Spott
03-25-2011, 04:04 PM
So if Richmond wins, does that mean we can own slaves? I don't care what they look like, but I could really use some help around the house.

ClevelandBronco
03-25-2011, 04:08 PM
So if Richmond wins, does that mean we can own slaves? I don't care what they look like, but I could really use some help around the house.

If you're offered Adrian Peterson, pass. That muffhugger is trouble.

Titty Meat
03-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Suddenly, 9/11 looks completely justified.

Only you could get away with posting this

Shogun
03-25-2011, 05:07 PM
I love this

Reaper16
03-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Only you could get away with posting this
I try hard to cultivate that allowance.

Titty Meat
03-25-2011, 06:42 PM
I try hard to cultivate that allowance.

I wish I could speak like that but i'd be banned before reaching that level LMAO

BillSelfsTrophycase
03-25-2011, 07:25 PM
http://iruntheinternet.com/lulzdump/images/haters-gonna-hate-monkey-crossed%20legs-1291945299k.jpg

Another Elite 8 appearance

Reerun_KC
03-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Threads like this make me proud to be born a Jayhawk....

teedubya
03-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Amurka!!

Reaper16
03-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Threads like this make me proud to be born a Jayhawk....
You were born as a student enrolled at the University of Kansas?

Reerun_KC
03-25-2011, 08:01 PM
You were born as a student enrolled at the University of Kansas?

:thumb:

Mr. Laz
03-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Rooting against Kansas is rooting against all that is good and pure left in this world.

Rock Chalk!!

Reerun_KC
03-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Rooting against Kansas is rooting against all that is good and pure left in this world.

Rock Chalk!!

MU = Oakland Raiders
KSU = Denver Broncos

To root for either is just morally wrong...

Al Bundy
03-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Haha Gator fans feel this exact same way about their school.

chiefs2012
03-26-2012, 08:16 PM
up

Pasta Little Brioni
03-27-2012, 05:45 AM
Slurp, slurp, slurp, slurp

Chief Roundup
03-27-2012, 05:57 AM
Anything and Everything about Kansas sucks.

Imon Yourside
03-27-2012, 06:29 AM
Haters on Haterade gon b Hate!

Bring it on haters, you could help fuel a National Championship with all that anger. ;)

Mr_Tomahawk
03-27-2012, 06:35 AM
MU = Oakland Raiders
KSU = Denver Broncos

To root for either is just morally wrong...

This is some of the stupidest shit people throw up for a comparison.

So KSU and MU have more post-season success than us...?

Nzoner
03-27-2012, 06:39 AM
This is some of the stupidest shit people throw up for a comparison.

So KSU and MU have more post-season success than us...?

You played basketball for KU?

Mr_Tomahawk
03-27-2012, 06:41 AM
You played basketball for KU?

Yes.

DaKCMan AP
03-27-2012, 06:41 AM
http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/139900000/139901837.JPG

J Diddy
03-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Anything and Everything about Kansas sucks.

Says the guy from Arkansas.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-27-2012, 07:47 AM
That's one of the enjoyable things I've ever read... although the comments from the MU fans are a close second.

:)

It's all tongue-in-cheek folks... even if it is true.

:D

Valiant
03-27-2012, 08:09 AM
Other then being wrong on which started the violence between Missouri and Kansas, fuck KU.

hometeam
03-27-2012, 08:09 AM
TLDR.

screw KU

King_Chief_Fan
03-27-2012, 11:55 AM
more crap about a team I don't give a crap about

Micjones
03-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Well...Just call me domestic terrorist then.
I'm done rooting against KU though. I hope they make the National Championship Game so my Wildcats can steamroll them!

Imon Yourside
03-27-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm done rooting against KU though. I hope they make the National Championship Game so my Wildcats can steamroll them!

Is this you?

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/tix/2922544272.html

UK fan offering the megaplex - $500 (Charlotte, NC)

I am a UK fan wanting to go to the Final Four in N'Oleans. I have put up my wife as collateral. She can make you speak 5 languages you never knew you could speak. I am not feeling my best so I have to use my sexy mama to get me to the game.
She is completely game, is a litte picky, but if you make her howl at the moon while making her speak portugese or something I don't get out of her then by all means.....have at it and let me see my UK Wildcats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is bad to do this, but it the Kentucky faithful dammit. Look out for the Bluegrass State and hook this pimp up okay?

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

scho63
03-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Send my best wishes to all the KU fans from Chiefs Planet....Good luck!

Brock
03-27-2012, 01:49 PM

"My" Wildcats. Pfft. :whackit:

Reerun_KC
03-27-2012, 02:41 PM
more crap about a team I don't give a crap about

Let us know this in every KU thread if you wouldnt mind...

Micjones
03-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Whatever that means.

Brock
03-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Whatever that means.

Nothing, Mecca. Don't worry about it.

Micjones
03-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Nothing, Mecca. Don't worry about it.

You got it Captain Comedy.

gblowfish
03-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Wickedson writes for the Atlantic? Who knew???

Pasta Little Brioni
03-27-2012, 03:18 PM

90 percent of the Beakers act like they play for the team, so I don't see getting butthurt about a fan of the "true blueblood" strutting.

King_Chief_Fan
03-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Let us know this in every KU thread if you wouldnt mind...

no problem, will do

Bambi
03-27-2012, 03:39 PM

Isn't your 1998 Championship t shirt beginning to smell a bit moldy?

What an embarrassment if UK didn't win it all this year.

Micjones
03-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Isn't your 1998 Championship t shirt beginning to smell a bit moldy?

What an embarrassment if UK didn't win it all this year.

http://nfl.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p9607839dt.jpg

You mad?

BigMeatballDave
03-27-2012, 03:43 PM
I was born in Kansas and have now lived in Ohio for 15 yrs.

Where is my allegiance?

Bambi
03-27-2012, 03:47 PM
http://nfl.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p9607839dt.jpg

You mad?

not at all. Since I've been alive KU and UK both have 2 titles.

So makes no difference to me.

Some of those are really old.

Bambi
03-27-2012, 03:48 PM
I was born in Kansas and have now lived in Ohio for 15 yrs.

Where is my allegiance?

I've lived in NYC for about 12 and have seen the Giants win multiple Super Bowls.

I still root for the shitty Chiefs though.

Micjones
not at all. Since I've been alive KU and UK both have 2 titles.

So makes no difference to me.

Some of those are really old.

That's the beautiful part about championships. They're timeless.

Titty Meat
This article was stupid.

Bambi
03-27-2012, 03:49 PM

You sound like Army.

Micjones
03-27-2012, 03:55 PM
You sound like Army.

UK = 2nd Best Men's program of all-time
KU = 6th or 7th at best

Nothing else matters.

The Cats will draw closer to the Bruins record here in a few more days.

BigMeatballDave
03-27-2012, 03:57 PM
I've lived in NYC for about 12 and have seen the Giants win multiple Super Bowls.

I still root for the shitty Chiefs though.

That's a bit different.

I've been a Chiefs fan since the early 80s.

College basketball has always been an aside for me.

Bane
03-27-2012, 03:59 PM
The ky jellycats fans are funny.

Setsuna
03-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Wrong

Chief Pote
03-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Go Buckeyes

Bambi
03-27-2012, 04:18 PM
KU = 6th or 7th at best

Nothing else matters.

Fordam was good too.

Bearcat
03-27-2012, 04:23 PM

Damn, if only I was a fan of UCLA basketball and the Montreal Canadiens... who cares if they've sucked most of my lifetime and I wouldn't get much entertainment out of watching them, I could have taken pride in all that shit that happened before I was born. :(

ReynardMuldrake
03-27-2012, 04:27 PM
KU = 6th or 7th at best

Nothing else matters.

Money in the bank, huh?

saphojunkie
03-27-2012, 04:28 PM
KU = 6th or 7th at best

Nothing else matters.

Oh you stupid stupid jackass.

Adolph Rupp - Born in Kansas, University of Kansas Grad. Learned basketball from Phog Allen.

Dean Smith - University of Kansas Grad. Learned Basketball from Phog Allen.

John Calipari - Began coaching career at Kansas under Larry Brown.

Larry Brown - only coach to win NCAA championship and NBA championship.

Roy Williams - learned from Dean Smith, a KU grad, became legit coach at Kansas.

You need to learn some history before you start talking out of your ass.

Without KU, there IS no UK. Deal with it. You're just the little brother trying to hard to impress mommy and daddy.

The most pure Kentucky era you had was Patino, and that's about to bite you in the ass.

saphojunkie
03-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Hey look! It's your legendary coach!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQuQRA1GRLPnHRfWC4RcKgkm2vooGasK5z8wUmGtou1cPoBcdgUQ

Pants
03-27-2012, 04:32 PM
KU = 6th or 7th at best

Nothing else matters.

1/10

Too obvious.

Pants
03-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Hey look! It's your legendary coach!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQuQRA1GRLPnHRfWC4RcKgkm2vooGasK5z8wUmGtou1cPoBcdgUQ

I'd rather not claim that racist POS. Kind of ashamed he played for Kansas, TBH.

saphojunkie
03-27-2012, 04:34 PM
I'd rather not claim that racist POS. Kind of ashamed he played for Kansas, TBH.

I'm with you.

That said, nothing Kentucky does; nothing they ever were; nothing they ever WILL BE is anything other than an offshoot of the single greatest basketball institution in the world.

That institution?

:KU:

Micjones
03-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Damn, if only I was a fan of UCLA basketball and the Montreal Canadiens... who cares if they've sucked most of my lifetime and I wouldn't get much entertainment out of watching them, I could have taken pride in all that shit that happened before I was born. :(

Oversimplify much?

Me thinks I have very good reasons to root for Kentucy...well...today.
Not sure if you realize, but I was plenty old enough to enjoy the last two National Championships.

As you were though soldier.

Micjones
03-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Money in the bank, huh?

I wouldn't bet against them.

saphojunkie
03-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Hey look! It's North Carolina's legendary coach!

http://www.discountdisplaycases.com/images/products/p-263042-dean-smith-autographed-hand-signed-kansas-jayhawks-playing-8x10-photo-pba-1134.jpg

saphojunkie
03-27-2012, 04:44 PM
The saddest thing is that UCLA just doesn't give a shit anymore about their program. Not even a little bit.

Westwood is a freaking joke. I have been at the Westwood brewing company for UCLA/KU games, and it was like a ghost town. We had to ask to have the game turned on.

The fans are horrible. They have no understanding of the sport or the game, and they don't care. They will get vocal if ever in the final four, because they suddenly realize they have a chance for arrogance.

The rest of the time, you struggle to find a single person who pays attention. It's all about SC football, Lakers, and Dodgers here.

Go clips! (come on, they're red and blue. It's such an easy transition for me.)

Micjones
03-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Oh you stupid stupid jackass.

Adolph Rupp - Born in Kansas, University of Kansas Grad. Learned basketball from Phog Allen.

Dean Smith - University of Kansas Grad. Learned Basketball from Phog Allen.

John Calipari - Began coaching career at Kansas under Larry Brown.

Larry Brown - only coach to win NCAA championship and NBA championship.

Roy Williams - learned from Dean Smith, a KU grad, became legit coach at Kansas.

You need to learn some history before you start talking out of your ass.

Without KU, there IS no UK. Deal with it. You're just the little brother trying to hard to impress mommy and daddy.

The most pure Kentucky era you had was Patino, and that's about to bite you in the ass.

I know the history. It's the fallback argument for every KU fan walking the planet. Everyone's success is owed to the KU program.

Nevermind that Dean Smith's dad was a hell of a High School basketball coach (who won a state title) before Dean ever got to KU.
Or that Smith, himself, was an all-state player in High School (who lettered four straight years).

He didn't know dick about the game until he arrived in Lawrence. Brilliant.

Micjones
03-27-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm with you.

That said, nothing Kentucky does; nothing they ever were; nothing they ever WILL BE is anything other than an offshoot of the single greatest basketball institution in the world.

That institution?

:KU:

Keep telling yourself that.
Don't mind four more National Championships.

Basketball was invented in Kansas.
"All your success are belong to us!"

03-27-2012, 05:03 PM
90 percent of the Beakers act like they play for the team, so I don't see getting butthurt about a fan of the "true blueblood" strutting.

true blueblood? LMAO

Both are bluebloods.

KC_Connection
03-27-2012, 05:05 PM
James Naismith, a Canadian, invented the game of basketball. All of KU and UK's basketball success is therefore owed to Canada, right?

Bearcat
03-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Oversimplify much?

Me thinks I have very good reasons to root for Kentucy...well...today.
Not sure if you realize, but I was plenty old enough to enjoy the last two National Championships.

As you were though soldier.

No worse than "nothing else matters"... and of course, it's not like we're comparing Kansas and Indiana when it comes to past and recent success.

Micjones
03-27-2012, 05:14 PM
No worse than "nothing else matters"... and of course, it's not like we're comparing Kansas and Indiana when it comes to past and recent success.

If something else matters, I'm all ears.
National Championships and W's are all that matters when assessing the best College programs of all-time. KU has been one of the NCAA's finest, but they don't belong in the same category with Kentucky. Not then...not now.

saphojunkie
03-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Keep telling yourself that.
Don't mind four more National Championships.

Basketball was invented in Kansas.
"All your success are belong to us!"

Wow...your internet references are almost as old as your last national title.

You can't in one post claim that another fan is relying on history, and then in the VERY NEXT POST point to history as your rallying cry.

once again, Kentucky fans are the most egregiously short-sighted jackasses to ever ooze out of the muck.

The difference between you people and the UNC fans is that Tarheels have respect for other programs. They're actually knowledgeable, normal human beings with a modicum of perspective.

saphojunkie
03-27-2012, 05:21 PM
If something else matters, I'm all ears.
National Championships and W's are all that matters when assessing the best College programs of all-time. KU has been one of the NCAA's finest, but they don't belong in the same category with Kentucky. Not then...not now.

OH MY GOD GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD. KENTUCKY HAS 19 MORE WINS THAN KANSAS. NINETEEN.

When Calipari, not if, but WHEN he gets a season vacated...I hope you enjoy dropping two spots down the list.

Micjones
03-27-2012, 05:55 PM
OH MY GOD GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD. KENTUCKY HAS 19 MORE WINS THAN KANSAS. NINETEEN.

Yeah, we'll let's ignore those National Championships.
They'll only cloud the conversation.
ROFL

When Calipari, not if, but WHEN he gets a season vacated...I hope you enjoy dropping two spots down the list.

They had 7 before Calipari even showed up.
They could very well be adding one here soon.

Don't get all moral on me Gandhi.
I do believe it was KU that was banned from defending their title in '89.

And let's not talk about all of the violations under Williams/Self.

Brock
03-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Y

Yeah, let's not, because they've never nuked a season like Cal has done more than once. Not even close to it.

Titty Meat
03-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Yeah, let's not, because they've never nuked a season like Cal has done more than once. Not even close to it.

KU wasn't eligible for the tourney one year because of Brown. When'd that happen to Calipari?

Brock
03-27-2012, 06:06 PM
KU wasn't eligible for the tourney one year because of Brown. When'd that happen to Calipari?

That didn't happen to calipari. When did Brown, or Williams, or Self get his team's post season accomplishments nullified?

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-27-2012, 06:06 PM
James Naismith, a Canadian, invented the game of basketball. All of KU and UK's basketball success is therefore owed to Canada, right?

And he invented the game in Massechutsetts (sp). Thank you Massechutsetts! (sp)

Titty Meat
03-27-2012, 06:07 PM
That didn't happen to calipari. When did Brown, or Williams, or Self get his team's post season accomplishments nullified?

People actually take those seriously?

Brock
03-27-2012, 06:08 PM
People actually take those seriously?

Just imagine if Cal hadn't choked and had actual NCs taken away.

Titty Meat
03-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Just imagine if Cal hadn't choked and had actual NCs taken away.

There would be a celebration in Lawrence?

Just like when USC got stripped nobody cared. Embarrassing? sure but that's about it.

chiefs2012
03-31-2012, 02:49 PM
rock chalk fuckers

BillSelfsTrophycase
03-31-2012, 02:54 PM
rock chalk fuckers

This

Imon Yourside
03-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah, we'll let's ignore those National Championships.
They'll only cloud the conversation.
ROFL

They had 7 before Calipari even showed up.
They could very well be adding one here soon.

Don't get all moral on me Gandhi.
I do believe it was KU that was banned from defending their title in '89.

Kensucky has a loooong history of cheating, it's part of the tradition down there.

chiefs2012
04-01-2012, 11:54 AM
if it hadn't been for cotton eyed joe i'd been married a long time ago

chiefs2012
04-02-2012, 09:58 AM
hit that cheater calipari where it hurts!