PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 2, Heat 8

Rain Man
03-26-2011, 02:46 PM
This one should be nice and divisive.

Bugeater
03-26-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm already pissed at the results. You all suck.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-26-2011, 02:52 PM
Nirvana, GNR, and The Who.

You can say what you want about Nirvana, but this song completely transformed music for an entire generation. They changed the game with this song. That alone makes it worthy of moving on.

Rain Man
03-26-2011, 02:54 PM
My rankings:

I Love Rock & Roll, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - #1 song. It's good classic rock and roll with a driving beat and great threatening guitar sound.

Life's Been Good, Joe Walsh - #2 song. I really like this song. It's friendly, it keeps you interested, and it's about the business of rock of roll. You can't go wrong with this song.

It's the End of the World, REM - #3 song. I like this song, too. REM has a lot of good stuff, but this is perhaps their best work.

Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana - Good head-bobbing music while you're trying to look cool. Worthy of a vote, but I only have three.

Wont Get Fooled Again, the Who - Fine song, but can't get my vote in a strong heat.

Sweet Child O'mine, Guns N Roses - It's an okay song.

November Rain, Guns N Roses - Maybe I'd like it better if it was covered by the Rolling Stones or AC/DC.

Man in the Box, Alice in Chains - Nah. (Shaking head.)

Predarat
03-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Some good songs are going golfing after this round!

shirtsleeve
03-26-2011, 03:03 PM
1.)November Rain
2.)Sweet Child O' Mine (i used to sing that to my daughter when i was putting her to sleep)
3.)Man in the Box
4.)Smells Like Teen Spirit
5.)The Who
6.)Joan Jett
7.)Joe Walsh (I like the guy not the song. In the City would have been in my top 3)
8.)REM

Rain Man
03-26-2011, 03:05 PM
shirtsleeve just took my rankings and reversed them. No fair.

Phobia
03-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Wow. I think I voted for every single one of these in the first round. Tough decision.

shirtsleeve
03-26-2011, 03:08 PM
shirtsleeve just took my rankings and reversed them. No fair.

Not quite. But I looked at yours and thought, damn, they're inverted!

Reaper16
03-26-2011, 03:09 PM
My votes:

"Won't Get Fooled Again," "Smells Like Teen Spirit," and "I Love Rock n Roll"

Rain Man
03-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Wow. I think I voted for every single one of these in the first round. Tough decision.

Who' you vote for? Who'd you vote for?

shirtsleeve
03-26-2011, 03:12 PM
rain man, you are not a fan of metal, are you?

November Rain is one of the top 20 ever, at least, of all time, and Slash's solo just kicks it! So full of soul.

Rain Man
03-26-2011, 03:13 PM

In spears and farming implements, yes. In music, no.

DaFace
03-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Nirvana, GNR, and The Who.

You can say what you want about Nirvana, but this song completely transformed music for an entire generation. They changed the game with this song. That alone makes it worthy of moving on.

Yup. It deserves to move on just because of its place in RnR history.

shirtsleeve
03-26-2011, 03:17 PM
In spears and farming implements, yes. In music, no.

Thats cool. To each their own.

But that is why I am usually upside down to your choices!

Phobia
03-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Who' you vote for? Who'd you vote for?

I changed at least 3-4x going through. I think Joan Jett is a rock & roll anthem for the ages and I definitely like the song. But then I read your criteria again "your top 3" so I changed. I recognize Teen Spirit for what it is and know it was a huge song for the ages but it's not in MY top 3 from the list. I also appreciate Joe Walsh and have even seen him perform this classic live. I even liked the REM offering even though I didn't particularly care for REM in the height of their popularity.

I landed on November Rain, The Who, and MITB. Pretty ecclectic collection for me. Don't get fooled is almost the very same age as me - within a few weeks. November Rain is from my high school era and MITB is from my 20's.

Phobia
03-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Yup. It deserves to move on just because of its place in RnR history.

Not necessarily... This is not "guess the best songs of an era" or "predict the most influental songs in the music business".... It is "pick YOUR top 3" from the list. Regardless of it being deserving, is it in YOUR top 3?

cdcox
03-26-2011, 03:27 PM
The Who, GNR, REM

Phobia
03-26-2011, 03:28 PM
The Who, GNR, REM

Sweet Child, huh?

Reaper16
03-26-2011, 03:31 PM

November Rain is one of the top 20 ever, at least, of all time, and Slash's solo just kicks it! So full of soul.
GnR a metal band?
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/Thereaper16/STAREDOWN.gif

cdcox
03-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Sweet Child, huh?

Yep. I really like that song. Cheryl Crow has cover that, isn't as good, but that I still like as a change of pace.

luv
03-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Joan Jett better make it to the next round. If the Runaways was anything close to their life, then that woman deserves it.

Phobia
03-26-2011, 03:35 PM
GnR a metal band?

Actually, in the 80's, yes. They were considered metal by most people.

Acknowledging that the definition of metal has adapted, I understand your point. But, most guys who lived in the 80's still consider them metal.

shirtsleeve
03-26-2011, 03:36 PM
GnR a metal band?

More hair metal, but yeah hair metal is metal after all, with an LA attitude. And definitely so, comparitively speaking.

Slainte
03-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Nirvana, R.E.M., the Who

Reaper16
03-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Actually, in the 80's, yes. They were considered metal by most people.

Acknowledging that the definition of metal has adapted, I understand your point. But, most guys who lived in the 80's still consider them metal.
Holy fucking fuck. Metal ≠ even-harder hard rock. Never has, never will. Nothing about GnR sounds like a metal band. They play rock and fucking roll, and it couldn't be more obvious.

Sorry, I'm not attacking you specifically. I just can't understand how people can't hear with their own ears the difference between rock and metal. It's as clear as the difference between the colors green and blue.

Reaper16
03-26-2011, 03:42 PM
More hair metal, but yeah hair metal is metal after all, with an LA attitude. And definitely so, comparitively speaking.
No it isn't. The bands that are often called "hair metal" are not metal bands. They played a glam-influenced hard rock. Just because they had good guitarists doesn't mean they played metal.

luv
03-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Holy fucking fuck. Metal ≠ even-harder hard rock. Never has, never will. Nothing about GnR sounds like a metal band. They play rock and fucking roll, and it couldn't be more obvious.

Sorry, I'm not attacking you specifically. I just can't understand how people can't hear with their own ears the difference between rock and metal. It's as clear as the difference between the colors green and blue.

Hence the word adapt. Were you here in the 80's to know how it was considered then?

Phobia
03-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Holy ****ing ****. Metal ≠ even-harder hard rock. Never has, never will. Nothing about GnR sounds like a metal band. They play rock and ****ing roll, and it couldn't be more obvious.

I think we've had a variation of this discussion. I just don't care about the labels. I'm probably wrong. It's not important for me to properly categorize music into a pretty box. I have no idea. So, I should probably just defer to somebody who is passionate about it. For the record though - we called G&R (and probably a host of other non-conforming bands) "metal" in the 80's.

cdcox
03-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Holy ****ing ****. Metal ≠ even-harder hard rock. Never has, never will. Nothing about GnR sounds like a metal band. They play rock and ****ing roll, and it couldn't be more obvious.

I've found that overly specific musical styles inhibit creativity.

Hair bands -- all sound alike, and gets boring after about 2 or 3 songs in a row
Metal -- all sounds alike, and gets boring after about 2 or 3 songs in a row
Grunge -- all sounds alike, and gets boring after about 2 or 3 songs in a row

These strong categories have kind of ruined music for me. I liked it better in the 1970's when there were a variety of current styles that could all be played on the same radio station. Bands had their own style, and didn't fit into some "me too" category.

shirtsleeve
03-26-2011, 03:53 PM
I think we've had a variation of this discussion. I just don't care about the labels. I'm probably wrong. It's not important for me to properly categorize music into a pretty box. I have no idea. So, I should probably just defer to somebody who is passionate about it. For the record though - we called G&R (and probably a host of other non-conforming bands) "metal" in the 80's.

Yes we did. Metallica was a "speed metal" band before they got widely heard. Iron Maiden was metal. G&R was hair metal. Scorpions were glam rock.

I am old, because I consider Ozzie and early VH metal too, I guess.

Metal changed after Grunge took over the mainstream rock moniker. Most styles do, over time.

blaise
03-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Oh man, November Rain sucks ass.

Bugeater
03-26-2011, 03:56 PM
7.)Joe Walsh (I like the guy not the song. In the City would have been in my top 3)
Same here, or either of these two.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e0_KBe8z0h0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b03TdWznuBA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>

Easy 6
03-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Teen Spirit - Opened up a new can of whupass on America, nuff said.

Sweet Child - IMO one of the 3 best solos in all of rock history, it whines, cries, screams & builds to a hellacious crescendo.

I Love Rock & Roll - when Joan goes YOWWW!, that is rock & roll.

Rain Man
03-26-2011, 04:07 PM
This heat is not going well at all. Even if REM and Joe Walsh can't advance, there's no excuse for Joan Jett not moving on. YOWWWW!

Reaper16
03-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Hence the word adapt. Were you here in the 80's to know how it was considered then?
Since when have musical genres with strict definitions had the ability to "adapt?" Is jazz in 2011 not the same exact genre it was in 1920? Metal is not a mood or a marketing term to label "really heavy rock." A lot of hard rock is "heavier" than a lot of metal. No, metal is just as much a definable genre of music as rock, blues, jazz, country, hip-hop, etc.

I really can't see how someone who listens to both metal and rock could consider GnR a metal band. Ever. They're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too blues-based to ever be confused for metal. That nasty (in a good way) blues-based hard rock swagger is all over the GnR albums, and that's what makes them an awesome rock band.

Reaper16
03-26-2011, 04:28 PM
I've found that overly specific musical styles inhibit creativity.

Hair bands -- all sound alike, and gets boring after about 2 or 3 songs in a row
Metal -- all sounds alike, and gets boring after about 2 or 3 songs in a row
Grunge -- all sounds alike, and gets boring after about 2 or 3 songs in a row

These strong categories have kind of ruined music for me. I liked it better in the 1970's when there were a variety of current styles that could all be played on the same radio station. Bands had their own style, and didn't fit into some "me too" category.
You're an easily bored dude.

Yes we did. Metallica was a "speed metal" band before they got widely heard. Iron Maiden was metal. G&R was hair metal. Scorpions were glam rock.

Metal changed after Grunge took over the mainstream rock moniker. Most styles do, over time.
Metallica played thrash metal, a very specific subgenre of music that is derived equally from punk rock and heavy metal. Ozzie and Iron Maiden are metal. The other bands you mentioned are rock bands.

I'm genuinely interested in how Van Halen or GnR sound anything like metal bands.

Phobia
03-26-2011, 04:34 PM
I've already answered that for you but you no listen. "Metal" was a much looser label in the 80's. Basically, anybody who had guitar solos, threw horns, and called themselves "metal" was metal.

Chiefburger
03-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Sweet Child O' Mine is gonna take this tourney. So this, the Who and REM.

patteeu
03-26-2011, 06:17 PM

Scorpions glam rock? WTF kind of ***** are you *****, sir? That's about as ****ing ****ed ** *** ***d8sd****, you hear me? The scorpions are pure ******! If you don't recognize that, then ****** *** ****!

patteeu
03-26-2011, 06:20 PM
#1 Joan Jett, I Love Rock and Roll
#2 Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit
#3 Joe Walsh, Lifes Been Good

I was pretty ambivalent about my #3. Suckage got brief consideration. But in the end, I decided to go with all three of the metal songs in this heat.

Phobia
03-26-2011, 06:21 PM
I decided to go with all three of the metal songs in this heat.

ROFL

cdcox
03-26-2011, 06:22 PM
#1 Joan Jett, I Love Rock and Roll
#2 Nirvana, Smells Like Teen Spirit
#3 Joe Walsh, Lifes Been Good

I was pretty ambivalent about my #3. Suckage got brief consideration. But in the end, I decided to go with all three of the metal songs in this heat.

LMAO

DJ's left nut
03-26-2011, 07:55 PM
November Rain - #1
Man in the Box - #2 (this is a very underrated song)
Won't Get Fooled Again - #3

Phobia
03-26-2011, 07:56 PM
November Rain - #1
Man in the Box - #2 (this is a very underrated song)
Won't Get Fooled Again - #3

You are a very smart person.

KurtCobain
03-26-2011, 09:18 PM
When this poll first was still at about 20 total votes I was afraid ChiefsPlanet was going to do something stupid.

Teen Spirit all the way, kids.

http://data.whicdn.com/images/5146145/tumblr_kz2ppqVVXi1qzyagco1_500_large.jpg?1290702717

Rasputin
03-26-2011, 10:42 PM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u0ZicY7Oqmg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u0ZicY7Oqmg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

This

&

GnR vote X 2

Rain Man
03-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Dang. I sure hope Joan Jett can rally and pull this off. That's a great song.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-26-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm glad to see Nirvana getting some love. I grew up in Seattle, during the grunge era. I actually met a few of these guys before they got famous. They were all pretty awesome, and all about their music. I actually preferred Alice in Chains to both songs I voted for, but decided to go with "greatest" meaning what it did for music in it's time. I understand Phil's philosophy, and can respect that.

For me though, I'm voting based on what I think it did for it's generation, and how it affected the music that came after it. Nirvana deserves to go deep in this field. But I concede it won't sniff the finals.

Frazod
03-26-2011, 11:58 PM
The voting in this one makes Baby Jesus cry.

November Rain losing to Sweet Child of Mine?

Joe Walsh down to the Who?

And FUCK NIRVANA. If only Cobain had blown his head off before he destroyed rock.

:shake:

Mr. Flopnuts
03-27-2011, 12:01 AM
The voting in this one makes Baby Jesus cry.

November Rain losing to Sweet Child of Mine?

Joe Walsh down to the Who?

And FUCK NIRVANA. If only Cobain had blown his head off before he destroyed rock.

:shake:

I've heard a lot of people say that about Nirvana. They're all over 40. Napster destroyed Rock. And that's the troof.

Frazod
03-27-2011, 12:02 AM
I've heard a lot of people say that about Nirvana. They're all over 40. Napster destroyed Rock. And that's the troof.

Grunge destroyed rock. The only good thing I can say about grunge is that it's marginally better than rap. And a bit worse than disco.

:#

Mr. Flopnuts
03-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Grunge destroyed rock. The only good thing I can say about grunge is that it's marginally better than rap. And a bit worse than disco.

:#

Ouch. We agree on many things, but we disagree here. Part of it I'm sure is the fact I grew up with that music, in the area that it originated from.

Frazod
03-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Ouch. We agree on many things, but we disagree here. Part of it I'm sure is the fact I grew up with that music, in the area that it originated from.

I won't deny that rock was definitely in trouble by the end of the 80s, but the crap that came along in the 90s definitely stomped out what little life there was left.

Of the 1,000 plus songs I have on my iPhone, easily 90% of them are from the period from 1975 to 1985.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-27-2011, 12:31 AM
I won't deny that rock was definitely in trouble by the end of the 80s, but the crap that came along in the 90s definitely stomped out what little life there was left.

Of the 1,000 plus songs I have on my iPhone, easily 90% of them are from the period from 1975 to 1985.

Well, my favorite band on the face of the planet is Rush, so I won't disagree with you at all there. I mean, it's not even close. Rush played a huge part in the development of my entire personality. But I love music, and have allowed it to touch and shape my very soul.

KurtCobain
03-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Frazod you ancient piece of shit with no consideration for something that touched so many and changed the world with such pointless lyrics, if your vote kill Nirvana in the finals, I swear I will hunt you down like a rat.

And Flop, as a mod now I expect you to keep the greatest song ever recorded in this thing no matter the cost.

cdcox
03-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Frazod you ancient piece of shit with no consideration for something that touched so many and changed the world with such pointless lyrics, if your vote kill Nirvana in the finals, I swear I will hunt you down like a rat.

And Flop, as a mod now I expect you to keep the greatest song ever recorded in this thing no matter the cost.

This might be the best shtick in ChiefsPlanet history. You even incorporated it into your user name.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-27-2011, 01:10 AM

I have zero admin ability, otherwise we could negotiate.

Gadzooks
03-27-2011, 09:26 AM
For me though, I'm voting based on what I think it did for it's generation, and how it affected the music that came after it. Nirvana deserves to go deep in this field. But I concede it won't sniff the finals.
Yeah, Nirvana opened the door for awesome bands like Bush and Puddle Of Mudd...

Frazod
03-27-2011, 09:35 AM

I realize Grunge touched many people and changed the world.

So did the Bubonic Plague.

Reaper16
03-27-2011, 10:34 AM
You want the troof? Napster saved rock. File-sharing has brought so much more awareness to independent label music. Instead of being force-fed the major label bullshit on major radio and MTV, people could easily share bands doing innovative stuff. File-sharing and blogging are the worst things to happen to the music industry, but one of the best things to happen to music.

Frazod
03-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Gotta give a shout out to YouTube as well. I can't imagine how empty my life would be had I not been able to experience Rebecca Black's Friday! :D

Rain Man
03-27-2011, 02:27 PM
FYI, I'll leave this heat open until tomorrow morning to give our weekday posters a chance to vote, and Heat 9 will get shut down in the afternoon.

KurtCobain
03-27-2011, 02:42 PM
This was a runaway shut er down now.

Slainte
03-27-2011, 02:57 PM
FYI, I'll leave this heat open until tomorrow morning to give our weekday posters a chance to vote, and Heat 9 will get shut down in the afternoon.

Cool. That'll give Alice In Chains a chance to overtake Joan Jett...

Rain Man
03-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Eh, screw it. We've got over 100 voters. 73 of you killed Joan Jett, and that's going to be on your heads for the rest of the Rock N Poll tournament. Damn you.

Moving on are:

Sweet Child O' Mine
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Won't Be Fooled Again

(Sigh.)