PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink New cooking methods ... sous vide

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 05:28 PM
So I took the plunge (pun not intended) and purchased a personal sous vide machine.

I've made a wonderful roasted garlic and herb compound butter and I'm about to put a couple of thick cut KC strips in the bath, set it for 134 degrees and in a couple hours I should have perfectly medium rare steak to throw in a screaming hot skillet to sear. Then it's eatin' time.

Will post pics.

Anyone worked with sous vide before? Any tips, tasty things to try?

WV
03-26-2011, 05:38 PM
That's a big plunge! Sounds cool and I'd love to be able to try your steak!

cdcox
03-26-2011, 05:38 PM
I just read about it because I'd never heard of it before. I'll be interested to hear about your experience.

shirtsleeve
03-26-2011, 05:42 PM
I've prepared tuna and salmon that way, sealing in aromatics and herbs with the fish before a flash sear on a screaching hot grill. Excellent.

Phobia
03-26-2011, 05:45 PM
No, I pretty much stick to fire.

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Steaks are swimming now.

crispystl
03-26-2011, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=Fire Me Boy!;7518885]Steaks are swimming now.[/QUO

I am really interested to see how this turns out!

SAUTO
03-26-2011, 06:39 PM
How much did you spend on the unit?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 06:43 PM
How much did you spend on the unit?
Posted via Mobile Device

$300

http://www.amazon.com/SousVide-Supreme-Demi-Water-Oven/dp/B004CO1CE8/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1301186545&sr=8-12

I've really been wanting to experiment with one of these for a long time, and I finally gave in. Got the wife's blessing and bought it.

Hammock Parties
03-26-2011, 06:44 PM
How much does your wife love your cooking? Does she cook?

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 06:52 PM
How much does your wife love your cooking? Does she cook?

She loves my cooking. It's something I've done for a long time, and our second date was at my house with me cooking dinner for her.

Mrs. FMB! doesn't cook. She screws up box dinners, bless her heart. She bakes like a champ, though, which I guess works out well. I fucking hate baking.

crispystl
03-26-2011, 06:54 PM
She loves my cooking. It's something I've done for a long time, and our second date was at my house with me cooking dinner for her.

Mrs. FMB! doesn't cook. She screws up box dinners, bless her heart. She bakes like a champ, though, which I guess works out well. I ****ing hate baking.

I'm the same way I love to cook but for some reason I can't stand baking.

SAUTO
03-26-2011, 06:58 PM
$300

http://www.amazon.com/SousVide-Supreme-Demi-Water-Oven/dp/B004CO1CE8/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1301186545&sr=8-12

I've really been wanting to experiment with one of these for a long time, and I finally gave in. Got the wife's blessing and bought it.
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm the same way I love to cook but for some reason I can't stand baking.

Not sure about you, but it's too scientific. I hate measuring. You can just throw stuff together and make an incredible meal, but if you just "throw together" a cake it's gonna suck ass.

KcMizzou
03-26-2011, 06:59 PM
No, I pretty much stick to fire.Sounds better to me, honestly.

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Sounds better to me, honestly.

The theory is that you use the water bath to slowly bring the entire hunk of meat to the exact temperature you want it - 130-140 for medium rare. Once it's done, you take it out and sear it over fire or in a screaming hot skillet. You still get the crust and the tastiness from the maillard reaction, but instead of having a ring of over-done meat and a perfect center that occurs otherwise, you have a perfectly cooked steak.

We'll see soon.

Bugeater
03-26-2011, 07:03 PM
So you're just basically simmering a vacuum packed steak in water? Why do you need a $300 machine to do that? Seems to me that you could do it in a pot (cast iron, of course) on the stove.

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 07:07 PM
So you're just basically simmering a vacuum packed steak in water? Why do you need a $300 machine to do that? Seems to me that you could do it in a pot (cast iron, of course) on the stove.

In order to do it properly, you have to have very precise control of the water temperature. And most stoves, even on the lowest setting, won't keep a pot of water at only 130 degrees.

By my random measures of the water over the past hour, the sous vide has been within .8 degrees (according to my Thermapen) every time.

cdcox
03-26-2011, 07:08 PM

Temperature has to be too precisely controlled to do on a stove.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-26-2011, 07:11 PM
That's a big plunge! Sounds cool and I'd love to be able to try your steak!

OMG

Bugeater
03-26-2011, 07:15 PM
In order to do it properly, you have to have very precise control of the water temperature. And most stoves, even on the lowest setting, won't keep a pot of water at only 130 degrees.

By my random measures of the water over the past hour, the sous vide has been within .8 degrees (according to my Thermapen) every time.
Ah, I see. I've never even heard of this before. I suppose a crock pot runs much higher than that as well.

luv
03-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Ah, I see. I've never even heard of this before. I suppose a crock pot runs much higher than that as well.

Crock pots are definitely NOT precise.

SAUTO
03-26-2011, 07:18 PM

Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater
03-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Crock pots are definitely NOT precise.
Well yeah, that too. Most kitchen appliances other than an oven aren't thermostatically controlled, and I'm sure those vary quite a bit as well.

Bugeater
03-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Some of them have a 'keep warm' setting on them, although I have no idea what temp that is but it's lower than the cooking temps.

crispystl
03-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Not sure about you, but it's too scientific. I hate measuring. You can just throw stuff together and make an incredible meal, but if you just "throw together" a cake it's gonna suck ass.

Agreed

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-26-2011, 07:27 PM
The theory is that you use the water bath to slowly bring the entire hunk of meat to the exact temperature you want it - 130-140 for medium rare. Once it's done, you take it out and sear it over fire or in a screaming hot skillet. You still get the crust and the tastiness from the maillard reaction, but instead of having a ring of over-done meat and a perfect center that occurs otherwise, you have a perfectly cooked steak.

We'll see soon.

Sounds interesting. It's the exact same concept we use in semen processing, we use a waterbath to bring the semen extender to an exact temp of 102 degrees and then add the boar core and it keeps the sperm cells from being shocked. Then we slowly bring it down to 64 degrees for storage. The only difference is we don't sear it on both sides and then consume it. Well , there was that one time Frazod showed up for a kegger but I'm gonna keep that to myself .

cdcox
03-26-2011, 07:27 PM
I enjoy both cooking and baking. Yes, they are definitely different. As a cook, I don't measure anything and as a baker, I measure everything precisely. I am a cook first, but a lot of meals require a combination techniques, such as pizza, pot pies, and biscuits and gravy. I also take pride in doing the whole meal, including dessert. Plus fresh baked goods are delicious. So I bake and cook.

Baby Lee
03-26-2011, 07:34 PM
PID

Dave Lane
03-26-2011, 07:37 PM

Maybe this is why I like it with my chemical engineering background

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 07:40 PM
I enjoy both cooking and baking. Yes, they are definitely different. As a cook, I don't measure anything and as a baker, I measure everything precisely. I am a cook first, but a lot of meals require a combination techniques, such as pizza, pot pies, and biscuits and gravy. I also take pride in doing the whole meal, including dessert. Plus fresh baked goods are delicious. So I bake and cook.

I can do it well, I just hate it. There are times I'll go all out and make everything.

angelo
03-26-2011, 07:48 PM
I have done some sous vide with mixed results.
I may be a purest but to me the texture is different.
I am still playing with it.

Ang

Phobia
03-26-2011, 07:58 PM
This feels a lot like cheating to me.

cdcox
03-26-2011, 08:00 PM
PID

Laplace Transform

angelo
03-26-2011, 08:09 PM

Mrs. FMB! doesn't cook. She screws up box dinners, bless her heart. She bakes like a champ, though, which I guess works out well. I ****ing hate baking.

You just describe my house. Although I taught my wife to bake.

Ang

Bump
03-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a lot of effort to me. Season...fire grill...maybe 2 or 3 minutes on each side. Good.

RJ
03-26-2011, 08:13 PM
I don't get it. What is the advantage over the oven or stove top or grill?

englander
03-26-2011, 08:20 PM
It is spoken see-Vee-chay.

Baby Lee
03-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Laplace Transform

dB/dec

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 08:27 PM

We'll see soon.

This.

And this.

Additionally, since the proteins don't seize up with high heat, supposedly there's less moisture lost (juicier) and all meat is more tender. As angelo described, there are supposedly also texture differences, but I can't vouch for that yet. And being able to hold it at perfect temp, theoretically means you can keep it at that temp for hours without risking dry, overcooked food.

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 08:29 PM
This feels a lot like cheating to me.

It's not intended to be an alternative to grilling, at least not for me. I'll never give that up. But I do like the idea of expanding my skills and adding something to my meal repertoire.

cdcox
03-26-2011, 08:33 PM
dB/dec

Pole.

Baby Lee
03-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Pole.

Chebyshev

Phobia
03-26-2011, 08:35 PM

It's for people who don't know when to take the steak off.

cdcox
03-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Chebyshev

Frequency peaking

Baby Lee
03-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Frequency peaking

Side lobes

For some [1/2 drunken reason], I'm reminded of this

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_2d3d76RGes" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 08:39 PM
It's for people who don't know when to take the steak off.

Wrong. You're talking out of your ass, Phil.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Can you not acknowledge that there's more than one way to cook a steak, and each way yields different results.

Have you ever had sous vide? Why are you dumping on something of which you have little knowledge and have never tried? This is nothing more than another preparation method.

And you know me. I know when to take a steak off the grill.

HMc
03-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Anyone worked with sous vide before? Any tips, tasty things to try?

I would speculate that there is a strong inverse correlation between a board where there are regular threads on "which 9mm for CCW?" and boards where there are >1 posters well versed in this methodology.

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 08:42 PM
I would speculate that there is a strong inverse correlation between a board where there are regular threads on "which 9mm for CCW?" and boards where there are >1 posters well versed in this methodolgy.

What if I used my sous vide machine while I was loading my Springfield XD .45 ACP?

englander
03-26-2011, 08:44 PM
If you use a protein, it shall become the colour of a`corpse.

cdcox
03-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Side lobes

For some [1/2 drunken reason], I'm reminded of this

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_2d3d76RGes" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Heh.

englander
03-26-2011, 08:45 PM
pole

cdcox
03-26-2011, 08:47 PM
pole

repost

or ringing?

Just Passin' By
03-26-2011, 08:47 PM
I would speculate that there is a strong inverse correlation between a board where there are regular threads on "which 9mm for CCW?" and boards where there are >1 posters well versed in this methodology.

Well, the first sous vide machines for the home chefs didn't come out until just a couple of years ago. I would speculate that very few boards would have many posters well versed in the methodology.

HMc
03-26-2011, 08:48 PM
What if I used my sous vide machine while I was loading my Springfield XD .45 ACP?

You'd be practising unsafe firearm handling, I'd have thought.

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Well, the first sous vide machines for the home chefs didn't come out until just a couple of years ago. I would speculate that very few boards would have many posters well versed in the methodology.

I know, but this board never ceases to amaze, so I thought I'd give it a shot, and if not, then I'd share my experiences.

Baby Lee
03-26-2011, 08:50 PM
repost

or ringing?

slew rate?

HMc
03-26-2011, 08:51 PM

Lol. Have you read the thread? There's been one poster who claimed to know anything at that was Phobia who was trolling anyway.

Phobia
03-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Wrong. You're talking out of your ass, Phil.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Can you not acknowledge that there's more than one way to cook a steak, and each way yields different results.

Have you ever had sous vide? Why are you dumping on something of which you have little knowledge and have never tried? This is nothing more than another preparation method.

And you know me. I know when to take a steak off the grill.

Heh. I figured I'd hook somebody. I just didn't expect it to be you.

Just Passin' By
03-26-2011, 08:52 PM
I know, but this board never ceases to amaze, so I thought I'd give it a shot, and if not, then I'd share my experiences.

I hear you. I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with the home version.

Speaking of giving it a shot, I might start a thread on Thai curry. Thai is my next area of culinary expansion, and I'll be looking for all the helpful input I can get.

Phobia
03-26-2011, 08:55 PM
I might start a thread on Thai curry.

Which one? Lordy - that's a wide open area there.

cdcox
slew rate?

Nyquist frequency

Fire Me Boy!
Heh. I figured I'd hook somebody. I just didn't expect it to be you.

Ah. I guess I just don't get trolling. Seems like a waste of time when you could actually join the conversation and add something useful.

:shrug:

Just Passin' By
03-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Lol. Have you read the thread? There's been one poster who claimed to know anything at that was Phobia who was trolling anyway.

Yes, I've read the thread. I knew a (very) little about Sous Vide from cooking shows and a trip to Europe, but I don't know anything about the home version, which is what Fire Me Boy! is talking about. I was saying that I suspect that's about par for the course on any board that's not specifically oriented to cooking, since it's something that's new to the home.

Baby Lee
Nyquist frequency

e^2*2pi*f0*n*j*t

Phobia
Ah. I guess I just don't get trolling. Seems like a waste of time when you could actually join the conversation and add something useful.

:shrug:

It's a last resort. I didn't have anything useful so I trolled.

Just Passin' By
03-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Which one? Lordy - that's a wide open area there.

I'm probably going to start with a Massaman.

HMc
03-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Again, it isn't clear whether you've cooked up a batch of meth in the thing which has impaired your judgement, but the likelihood that you were going to get any hits on this method here were...slim to none, and slim just left town.

There are people on here that still kill their own food.

HMc
03-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Yes, I've read the thread. I knew a (very) little about Sous Vide from cooking shows and a trip to Europe, but I don't know anything about the home version, which is what Fire Me Boy! is talking about. I was saying that I suspect that's about par for the course on any board that's not specifically oriented to cooking, since it's something that's new to the home.

And what point do you suppose I was making?

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Again, it isn't clear whether you've cooked up a batch of meth in the thing which has impaired your judgement, but the likelihood that you were going to get any hits on this method here were...slim to none, and slim just left town.

There are people on here that still kill their own food.

Do you read or am I writing sentences like kcnut?

HMc
03-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Do you read or am I writing sentences like kcnut?

Great. It will be just you and your experiences then, along with some token "sounds great!" comments, as no one else knows dick all about it, and you're unhappy with the trolling.

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Great. It will be just you and your experiences then, along with some token "sounds great!" comments, as no one else knows dick all about it, and you're unhappy with the trolling.

Feel free to GTFO then. No one's keeping you here.

Just Passin' By
And what point do you suppose I was making?

You were relating the number of people who'd know to the CCW, slick. My point is that your correlation there is a poor one, given how relatively few people in the U.S., on any thread, are going to no about this stuff.

I'd speculate that, on this board, you could find people who have knowledge about many of world's cuisines. Not everyone here is going to be confined to possum and squirrel.

Phobia
I'm probably going to start with a Massaman.

Best Massaman I've ever had was with seafood and a departure from tradition with avacado wedges.

Just Passin' By
03-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Best Massaman I've ever had was with seafood and a departure from tradition with avacado wedges.

Thai/Mexican fusion, or just a general twist on the basic idea?

HMc
03-26-2011, 09:10 PM
You were relating the number of people who'd know to the CCW, slick. My point is that your correlation there is a poor one, given how relatively few people in the U.S., on any thread, are going to no about this stuff.

I'd speculate that, on this board, you could find people who have knowledge about many of world's cuisines. Not everyone here is going to be confined to possum and squirrel.

I don't think you know what "correlation" actually means.

englander
May I suggest a roulade of venison, wild garlic, and rice?

WV
Ok...when do we get pics of the finished product? I've always been fascinated with this method of cooking since I began watching Top Chef.

Just Passin' By
03-26-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't think you know what "correlation" actually means.

I'm sure that I do. However, since you seem intent on just trolling, I'll bid you good luck and good night.

NewChief
03-26-2011, 09:11 PM
Nice, man. Passingly interested in sous vide, as I see it on the shows and know that it's the big trend. Not sure I want to take that plunge, but I'm impressed that you did. Keep us updated on how you like it.

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Ok...when do we get pics of the finished product? I've always been fascinated with this method of cooking since I began watching Top Chef.

Wife should be home soon, and I'll cook it up then. :)

cdcox
correlation

time domain

englander
Thai/Mexican fusion, or just a general twist on the basic idea?

yah, just passin bile

HMc
03-26-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm sure that I do.

Seems odd that you'd use it in completely the wrong context, then.

NewChief
03-26-2011, 09:13 PM

My wife and my first date was me cooking her thai food so hot that it was inedible then going to see Ice-T in concert. I also showed up at the door wearing a patchwork skirt (don't ask) and no shirt. It's amazing that she ended up marrying me.

HMc
03-26-2011, 09:14 PM
time domain

If I'm to pass off my knowledge of statistics as appreciably greater than it actually is, I'd prefer if you kept quiet, thanks.

NewChief
03-26-2011, 09:15 PM

Wrong! There are quite a few of us on this board who are more than passingly interested in the culinary arts.

Just Passin' By
03-26-2011, 09:15 PM
FMB, I don't know if this will give you anything new, but I Googled "sous vide tips" and this site came up:

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/info/sous-vide-tips-and-tricks

Just Passin' By
03-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Seems odd that you'd use it in completely the wrong context, then.

I wasn't. It was your specific wording:

Now, goodnight.

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 09:16 PM
FMB, I don't know if this will give you anything new, but I Googled "sous vide tips" and this site came up:

Cool! Thanks. I hadn't seen that one.

HMc
03-26-2011, 09:17 PM
I wasn't. Now, goodnight.

Erm, yeah, you were.

Baby Lee
03-26-2011, 09:19 PM
time domain

Darlington Pair

Just Passin' By
03-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Cool! Thanks. I hadn't seen that one.

My pleasure. I'm looking at the beer cooler hack.

englander
03-26-2011, 09:21 PM

google? are you an onion headed twatt?

HMc
03-26-2011, 09:21 PM
I wasn't. It was your specific wording:

Now, goodnight.

First of all, you've quoted my post, which also seems odd since I'm talking about how you used the word. I'll let that slide though, baby steps and all that.

Secondly, my point is not actually any less valid just because there is very little knowledge of the topic across the population. It actually enforces my point, dumbass. It isn't less true that there are no items X in Sample 1 just because there aren't any in Population 1.

Just Passin' By
03-26-2011, 09:29 PM
First of all, you've quoted my post, which also seems odd since I'm talking about how you used the word. I'll let that slide though, baby steps and all that.

Pretty clearly used correctly. Now, really, good night/good day.

shirtsleeve
03-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Just as a side note:

You dont need to spend big money on the cooker. Most home beer supply stores have temperature controlled heating elements that are very accurate. Its imperative to mash at a really tight temperature range of between 155 and 165, so these heating elements work well for this. They are temperature controlled, hold the temp tightly and are accurate, semi durable and reasonably priced.

HMc
03-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Pretty clearly used correctly. Now, really, good night/good day.

You've tried to substitute "correlation" for "point", I suspect. Sorry, no matter how many times you wish to say it was correct, it really wasn't.

englander
03-26-2011, 09:37 PM
I don't believe there isn't anything that an individual will not be mistaken, if one uses a water bath.

luv
03-26-2011, 09:45 PM
I don't believe there isn't anything that an individual will not be mistaken, if one uses a water bath.

American English, please.

englander
03-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Just as a side note:

You dont need to spend big money on the cooker. Most home beer supply stores have temperature controlled heating elements that are very accurate. Its imperative to mash at a really tight temperature range of between 155 and 165, so these heating elements work well for this. They are temperature controlled, hold the temp tightly and are accurate, semi durable and reasonably priced.
i

arsole, arsole. blood red dragon on a field of green, you twatte.

Fire Me Boy!
03-26-2011, 10:03 PM
OK, so test one is actually very tasty. When I pulled it out of the water, the steaks felt a good solid med rare, pale and kinda gray on the outside, which I expected. I seared at 600+ degrees for somewhere between 45 second and 1 minute. Results were good.

shirtsleeve
i

:spock:

Fire Me Boy!
These are good steaks, and it's been a while since I had a KC strip, but these seem tenderer than normal. And med rare is significantly rarer than Mrs. FMB! normally likes, but she's wolfing it down, and says it's got got good flavor and not under-done.

The texture seems denser. It's good, but it's slightly different than you'd expect from a steak, I think.

The color in the pics is a little off - yellow kitchen plus fluorescent lighting means bad colors. The color in the last pic is close, but still looks like it's more done than the steak actually is.

aturnis
03-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Hurry up FMB! I've read plenty on souse vide and it's definitely something I might like to try. I'd really like to hear about your experience with it, you being the resident food guru and all.

aturnis
03-26-2011, 10:13 PM
Too late, you already updated. Thanks!

Just Passin' By
03-26-2011, 10:15 PM
How's the juice content?

Phobia
03-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Looks delicious. Your pictures are making me want to put my butcher block countertop in.

cdcox
03-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Did you put liquid smoke in the baggie?

ExtremeChief
03-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Looks delicious. Your pictures are making me want to put my butcher block countertop in.

I've got some I'd sell you... I'd like to update my kitchen from the late 70's!

Dave Lane
03-27-2011, 12:14 AM
So this takes 2-3 hours plus finish time? I think it would be easier to throw it on the grill for 8 minutes and be done.

Just me though

These are good steaks, and it's been a while since I had a KC strip, but these seem tenderer than normal. And med rare is significantly rarer than Mrs. FMB! normally likes, but she's wolfing it down, and says it's got got good flavor and not under-done.

The texture seems denser. It's good, but it's slightly different than you'd expect from a steak, I think.

The color in the pics is a little off - yellow kitchen plus fluorescent lighting means bad colors. The color in the last pic is close, but still looks like it's more done than the steak actually is.

Phobia
03-27-2011, 12:19 AM
I've got some I'd sell you... I'd like to update my kitchen from the late 70's!

You have actual maple butcher-block or some laminate crap? I have a nice slab but I'd actually prefer to repurpose something for my kitchen and sell the new slab for some cash.

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2011, 06:36 AM
How's the juice content?

It's very juicy. Very, very juicy. Gonna try chicken soon. I've also read that salmon is unique in sous vide, in that the final texture is very similar to sushi.

Did you put liquid smoke in the baggie?

Oh, you know it. :cuss:

So this takes 2-3 hours plus finish time? I think it would be easier to throw it on the grill for 8 minutes and be done.

Just me though

It actually only takes about 1.5 hours for these steaks (cut 1.5 inch thick), but because you're cooking at exactly the temperature you at which you want to serve, you can actually hold the steaks in the sous vide for a long time. According to research, that's not indefinitely, but enzymes in the steak don't start breaking down the protein for 8-10 hours. So I just left these in the bath until Mrs. FMB! got home.

The taste and flavor is different than you'd get from "throwing it on the grill for 8 minutes."

And you can do a lot more in sous vide than steak, that's just what I wanted to do first.

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2011, 06:40 AM

Thanks. It was quite tasty. I bought that walnut (I think, it's been a while) end grain cutting board - it's 3 inches thick and 18 inches in diameter - off eBay. I love that thing. It went basically unused for several years because I never had a place in my kitchen to keep it. Now that we bought this house here in AL, I have more room and it found a permanent place on the counter. :)

WV
03-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Looks great and definitely something I'd like to try....now to convince the wife to let me drop $300 on another kitchen appliance! Just bought a nice electric pressure cooker recently (only about $90 though).

Extra Point
03-27-2011, 11:01 AM
FMB, did the sous vide approach soften the band of grissle on the edge of the strip, well enough? I usually trim it off.

Poor man's sous vide:

Buy the strips in bulk, trim off the grissle and most the fat, throw 2 strips in a food storage bag, pour 1 oz. of teriyaki sauce in each bag, squeeze out the air, throw them in the freezer.

Take out the steaks you want the next day, put them in the fridge section. Noon, the next day, put the steaks in lukewarm tap water, for cooking that night.

For pan searing, Maker's Mark during the cook is good. Makes for a good au jus, with some water after the steak has cooked, that's good in boiled tater chunks or rice.

To each his own.

Baby Lee
03-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Heating, Circulation, and Temperature Control for $75.

http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/02/diy-sous-vide-heating-immersion-circulator-for-about-75/

Buehler445
03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Interesting FMB! I'm glad it worked out for you. It looks really good.

I'd love to try one. But I think the probability me giving up fire is pretty low :).

Thanks for sharing dude.

RJ
03-27-2011, 12:23 PM

That's a damn fine looking steak. Did you season it before it went in the bag or when you seared it?

RJ
03-27-2011, 12:25 PM
FMB, did the sous vide approach soften the band of grissle on the edge of the strip, well enough? I usually trim it off.

Poor man's sous vide:

Buy the strips in bulk, trim off the grissle and most the fat, throw 2 strips in a food storage bag, pour 1 oz. of teriyaki sauce in each bag, squeeze out the air, throw them in the freezer.

Take out the steaks you want the next day, put them in the fridge section. Noon, the next day, put the steaks in lukewarm tap water, for cooking that night.

For pan searing, Maker's Mark during the cook is good. Makes for a good au jus, with some water after the steak has cooked, that's good in boiled tater chunks or rice.

To each his own.

So you de-glaze the pan with bourbon and water?

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2011, 02:49 PM
That's a damn fine looking steak. Did you season it before it went in the bag or when you seared it?

I seasoned immediately before I put them in the vacuum sealer. I think later this week I'm going to try a marinade.

Extra Point
03-27-2011, 02:53 PM
So you de-glaze the pan with bourbon and water?
Well, the pan is glazed with the bourbon, with the steak on the final side. I cheat, and put a lid on the steak for a couple mins. The water is the de-glazing agent, afterward. That's about it; makes for damn good au jus.

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Interesting FMB! I'm glad it worked out for you. It looks really good.

I'd love to try one. But I think the probability me giving up fire is pretty low :).

Thanks for sharing dude.

Oh, like I said earlier, there's no way I'm giving up fire. The flavor of this steak and one off the charcoal is totally different. I'd say sous vide actually lets the flavor of the meat shine through a little more, whereas grilling is as much about the charcoal and smoke as it is about the meat itself.

This is just another tool in my arsenal.

Fire Me Boy!
03-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Poor man's sous vide:

To each his own.

The gristle won't ever render, if I'm not mistaken. I trimmed some of it off after I cooked it.

I've read that you don't want to use meat that has a lot of fat (marbled is OK; hunks of fat, not OK) because the low temperature doesn't render fat very well. It'll render the collagen in brisket or a roast, but not the other stuff.

RJ
03-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Well, the pan is glazed with the bourbon, with the steak on the final side. I cheat, and put a lid on the steak for a couple mins. The water is the de-glazing agent, afterward. That's about it; makes for damn good au jus.

Thanks for the tip, sounds like a good reason to pick up a bottle of Maker's.

angelo
03-27-2011, 10:43 PM

FMB

That is a great looking steak!!! Well done (no pun) Sir. Do you get what I was talking about texture wise now. I prefer a good chew to my steaks (not tough) but not mushy like a filet and the texture in sous vide is just different.
You should try a Hanger steak. It seems the tougher steaks do better sous vide. I did do a 24 hour leg of lamb at 142 with preserved lemon, garlic and oregano. It was solid.

Great thread.

Ang

Fire Me Boy!
03-28-2011, 06:43 AM
FMB

That is a great looking steak!!! Well done (no pun) Sir. Do you get what I was talking about texture wise now. I prefer a good chew to my steaks (not tough) but not mushy like a filet and the texture in sous vide is just different.
You should try a Hanger steak. It seems the tougher steaks do better sous vide. I did do a 24 hour leg of lamb at 142 with preserved lemon, garlic and oregano. It was solid.

Great thread.

Ang

Yeah, I completely understand what you're talking about with the texture. I'll definitely try some hanger steak. I've got some flat iron steaks in the fridge that I found on sale, may try those. I've got some family in town this week and was thinking about doing some risotto along with something out of the sous vide.

Dayze
03-28-2011, 07:43 AM
I just made my first brine on Saturday; put a 5.5lb brisket in to make some corned beef.

hopefully it turns out good; I've got a few tasty recipes picked out for the 'leftovers'
(one of which is like a corned beef hash cake/patty, lightly browned up; and topped with a poached egg...mmmm)

Dayze
03-28-2011, 07:46 AM

Mrs. FMB! doesn't cook. She screws up box dinners, bless her heart. She bakes like a champ, though, which I guess works out well. I fucking hate baking.

sounds exactly like my wife.
she can bake extremely well, whereas I cannot. She can make Mac n Cheese...and thats about it.

Fire Me Boy!
03-28-2011, 07:51 AM
she can bake extremely well, whereas I cannot. She can make Mac n Cheese...and thats about it.

My wife has managed to burn hot dogs ... that she was BOILING.

NewChief
03-28-2011, 07:52 AM

What is it with women and baking/cooking. It's weird, too, because it makes little sense from what we know about genetic proclivities. Women are supposed to be good multi-taskers... and that's what much of cooking is (that's the part that trips my wife up... working on multiple dishes at the same time). Anyway, add my wife to the list of women who can bake but can't cook.

Dayze
03-28-2011, 08:03 AM
...and, my wife simply cannot cook a meal (in the very rare instances where she does) without completely destroying the kitchen. she was making baked chicken and rice one day; kitchen was desroyed - as usual - and I sh*t you not...there was flour all over the place.

FLour?
lol

..and, she can't complete the meal on time; certain things will be done (or overdone lol) well beofre other things, resulting in a plate of food at varying temps.
She doesn't understand when I say "Ok, go ahead and get your drink ready; dinner will be ready in 1 minute or so"...then she dorks around doing other stuff while the mashed taters are getting cold, etc. I try to tell her I time everything to be 'done' so she can have a plate of hot food....amazing. She can be watching TV/reading etc all while I'm preparing dinner, then when it's ready....that is apparently the time to go do some laundry.

Fire Me Boy!
03-28-2011, 08:19 AM
...and, my wife simply cannot cook a meal (in the very rare instances where she does) without completely destroying the kitchen. she was making baked chicken and rice one day; kitchen was desroyed - as usual - and I sh*t you not...there was flour all over the place.

FLour?
lol

..and, she can't complete the meal on time; certain things will be done (or overdone lol) well beofre other things, resulting in a plate of food at varying temps.
She doesn't understand when I say "Ok, go ahead and get your drink ready; dinner will be ready in 1 minute or so"...then she dorks around doing other stuff while the mashed taters are getting cold, etc. I try to tell her I time everything to be 'done' so she can have a plate of hot food....amazing. She can be watching TV/reading etc all while I'm preparing dinner, then when it's ready....that is apparently the time to go do some laundry.

ROFL Same here with the timing. Apparently, when I say 2 minutes, that's code for sometime in the next 15 minutes.

NewChief
03-28-2011, 08:27 AM
ROFL Same here with the timing. Apparently, when I say 2 minutes, that's code for sometime in the next 15 minutes.

Yeah, it's my wife's job to set the table, get the kids' drinks, and plate the kids' food (the kids often eat slightly different stuff than we do, since I cook spicy a lot). I tell her that I'm ready for her to start plating, but she, evidently, doesn't think plating should start until the whole family sits down at the table and is impatiently waiting to eat.

That brings up another question:
How many of you plate your food in the kitchen and how many of you bring bowls/platters of food to table and eat "family style"?

I think we'll move to family style as the kids get older, but currently we plate everything in the kitchen.

Fire Me Boy!
03-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Yeah, it's my wife's job to set the table, get the kids' drinks, and plate the kids' food (the kids often eat slightly different stuff than we do, since I cook spicy a lot). I tell her that I'm ready for her to start plating, but she, evidently, doesn't think plating should start until the whole family sits down at the table and is impatiently waiting to eat.

That brings up another question:
How many of you plate your food in the kitchen and how many of you bring bowls/platters of food to table and eat "family style"?

I think we'll move to family style as the kids get older, but currently we plate everything in the kitchen.

We plate in the kitchen, but rarely eat at the table. But it's just me and my wife, so we go very casual. Once we have kids, we'll probably move to a table.

Dayze
03-28-2011, 09:38 AM
we usually plate in the kitchen (just my wife and I) and eat on the TV trays, and watch an episode of Seinfeld.
if we doing a really nice dinner, we'll plate in the kitchen and eat at the kitchen table.

glad to hear my wife isn't the only one with a "time" issue. haha.

Baby Lee
03-28-2011, 11:10 AM
So, tampons, with applicator or without? ;) j/k

mikeyis4dcats.
03-29-2011, 08:36 PM
here's a link those interested in sous vide DIY might like

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2135226

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2011, 07:08 AM
On the menu tomorrow: Flat iron steak sous vide with roasted garlic and herb butter, risotto (made with homemade chicken stock) and mixed vegetables almondine with browned butter.

listopencil
03-30-2011, 09:19 AM
i

No. That's "ass hole" or "asshole" not "arsole". Also "twat" instead of "twatte".

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2011, 07:14 PM
A 10-hour sous vide bath on a sirloin will tenderize the hell out of it. As in, tender like a filet mignon. Very, very tasty with green beans tossed in garlic butter with slivered almonds.

Fire Me Boy!
06-12-2011, 06:31 AM
Trying out my first overnight sous vide. Put a rump roast in last night. I'll blast it over a roaring chimney starter tonight. Ideas for a sauce?

Fire Me Boy!
07-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Rump roast was pretty mediocre. I think it actually needed more time. I also screwed up the searing on it.

However, just did another sirloin sous vide. Damn, that's good. I don't even generally like sirloin, and the sous vide makes it absolutely delectable.

angelo
07-19-2011, 08:24 PM
FMB
Try Beef Short Ribs next. I have found that you need well marbled meat or meat with a certain amount of collagen for sous vide.
For the short ribs I did a marinade of Guinness, with garlic and herb (rosemary and thyme with marjoram and green apples. Bring it to a boil and then cool.

Cook at 145 for 10 hours.

Fire Me Boy!
07-19-2011, 08:49 PM
FMB
Try Beef Short Ribs next. I have found that you need well marbled meat or meat with a certain amount of collagen for sous vide.
For the short ribs I did a marinade of Guinness, with garlic and herb (rosemary and thyme with marjoram and green apples. Bring it to a boil and then cool.

Sounds interesting. Will give it a try.

The fat/collagen note is counter to what all the books say. They say best are lean cuts.

englander
07-19-2011, 10:07 PM
You are mistaken.

englander
07-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Water Bath cooking is for butchery that is far from fat. Tongue, sweetbreads, kidneys,

Bi_polar
07-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Water Bath cooking is for butchery that is far from fat. Tongue, sweetbreads, kidneys,

My Pretty - do you eat such scrap?

Bi_polar
07-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the info FMB, interesting stuff.

ChiefGator
07-20-2011, 02:51 AM
Not sure how I missed this thread until now. Interesting!

So, does the method work well with the cheaper cuts of meat then? Hanger, flat iron, flank, skirt?

If so, that would maybe make the investment worthwhile personally.

Rausch
07-20-2011, 03:34 AM
So it's an expensive crock pot...

angelo
07-20-2011, 04:06 AM
Sounds interesting. Will give it a try.

The fat/collagen note is counter to what all the books say. They say best are lean cuts.

I have used both and maybe it is just that I like that style of meat.

Ang

angelo
07-20-2011, 04:12 AM

It is good for these items. I have also had good success with cuts such as short ribs, veal breast, lamb necks, and other cuts that contain more fat and collagen.

I believe it is personal preference. I will admit that I am a novice and have only played around with it occasionally.

Ang

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2011, 05:50 AM
Not sure how I missed this thread until now. Interesting!

So, does the method work well with the cheaper cuts of meat then? Hanger, flat iron, flank, skirt?

If so, that would maybe make the investment worthwhile personally.

It does. I haven't tried it with anything but flat iron, but those were great.

Fire Me Boy!
07-20-2011, 05:50 AM
I have used both and maybe it is just that I like that style of meat.

Ang

I'll definitely give it a try. I know given enough time the fat and collagen will render.

Fire Me Boy!
08-13-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm using the sous vide to make homemade yogurt for the wife. Curious how it turns out. It lets me control the sourness and thickness depending on the cook time and temperature.

Fire Me Boy!
08-15-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm using the sous vide to make homemade yogurt for the wife. Curious how it turns out. It lets me control the sourness and thickness depending on the cook time and temperature.

I followed the recipe as instructed, but no luck. It apparently tastes like paste.

That's my first sous vide fail.

tooge
08-15-2011, 11:56 AM
making some yogurt for the wife huh?

Fire Me Boy!
08-15-2011, 12:09 PM

Yes, I actually hate the stuff. Foul, sour grossness. And for any Yoplait! employees that may visit CP, if I want something that tastes like Boston creme pie, I'm going to eat a freakin' Boston creme pie.

RockChalk
08-15-2011, 12:34 PM

I sense some trolling going on here :hmmm:

tooge
08-15-2011, 01:13 PM
I sense some trolling going on here :hmmm:

I think FMB missed it

RockChalk
08-15-2011, 01:22 PM
I think FMB missed it

He doesn't joke about food

Fire Me Boy!
08-15-2011, 01:25 PM
I actually did catch it, just responded seriously. FWIW.

RockChalk
08-15-2011, 01:32 PM
I actually did catch it, just responded seriously. FWIW.

Haha

I don't know how I missed this thread originally. I assume you've prepared many other things with this machine since? Anything stick out other than steak?

Fire Me Boy!
08-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Haha

I don't know how I missed this thread originally. I assume you've prepared many other things with this machine since? Anything stick out other than steak?

There's other stuff besides meat?

Actually, the yogurt was the first thing besides meat I've done, though I'm starting to branch out now.

RockChalk
08-15-2011, 01:37 PM

Actually, the yogurt was the first thing besides meat I've done, though I'm starting to branch out now.

Well I meant other kinds of meat (chicken, fish, etc.)

SuperChief
08-15-2011, 02:12 PM
I went back and read from page 1 - excellent thread FMB! I learned a lot and am definitely interested in this style of cooking. What intrigues me the most is the possibility of turning lower-quality cuts of meat into something delicious with ease. Sounds neat.

Fire Me Boy!
08-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Well I meant other kinds of meat (chicken, fish, etc.)

I haven't done anything besides beef yet, but I've done several kinds of steak and roast. Planning to try chicken, pork and fish soon, though. Particularly curious about trying butter poached scallops or lobster.

I went back and read from page 1 - excellent thread FMB! I learned a lot and am definitely interested in this style of cooking. What intrigues me the most is the possibility of turning lower-quality cuts of meat into something delicious with ease. Sounds neat.

It's been fun and rewarding. There are couple of cookbooks in which I'm really interested, but the good ones can be quite pricey. Everything I've attempted so far has been on my own or on blogs.

SuperChief
08-15-2011, 02:33 PM
It never hurts adding to your culinary repitoire, especially if it's something you enjoy. Have fun!

Fire Me Boy!
08-18-2011, 12:07 PM
FMB

I've got some short ribs in the fridge. Seeing some recipes online for cooking them medium rare for like 72 hours. I haven't decided if I'm going to do a little marinade and go your route or go all out and try the 72-hour thing.... :hmmm:

tooge
08-18-2011, 12:32 PM
FMB, not telling you anything you aren't aware of , but you will get a better and healthier sear using your cast iron. I noticed in the steak pic, you were searing in scratched up teflon?

Fire Me Boy!
08-18-2011, 12:43 PM
FMB, not telling you anything you aren't aware of , but you will get a better and healthier sear using your cast iron. I noticed in the steak pic, you were searing in scratched up teflon?

At the time I was chomping at the bit to taste the steak, so I did what would be faster. However, that's not scratched up Teflon - the only Teflon pan I have is used exclusively for eggs.

That's a Calphalon hard anodized pan, and it's a warrior!!! That thing is my go-to pan when cast iron won't work or I just don't wanna do the extra maintenance.

tooge
08-18-2011, 01:10 PM
I got a set of those for our wedding from my mother in law. I dig em too. I mainly use the large saute pan/sauce pot combo with a lid. It's money for dishes like paella. I'd be interested in trying the sous vide on some fish dishes.

Fire Me Boy!
08-18-2011, 03:30 PM
I got a set of those for our wedding from my mother in law. I dig em too. I mainly use the large saute pan/sauce pot combo with a lid. It's money for dishes like paella. I'd be interested in trying the sous vide on some fish dishes.

I've got the 12-inch fry pan and a 2-quart saucepan. Don't use the saucepan much, but the fry pan is ol' reliable.

Baby Lee
02-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Thought folks on here would be interested in this, an article that credits Chipotle's ability to mass market upscale fast food in part to sous vide.

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2012/02/chipotle_is_apple_how_the_burrito_chain_is_revolutionizing_fast_food_.html

ChiefGator
02-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Interesting! I didn't realize that's how they cooked their meat.

Great Expectations
03-15-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm getting very serious about purchasing an immersion circulator. Is there a specific one you would recommend? I've seen them priced from $800 (Williams Sonoma) to $180 (SideKIC).

Fire Me Boy!
03-15-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm getting very serious about purchasing an immersion circulator. Is there a specific one you would recommend? I've seen them priced from $800 (Williams Sonoma) to $180 (SideKIC).

I bought the Sous Vide Supreme, so I don't have an separate IC. Sorry.

Great Expectations
03-15-2012, 03:41 PM
I bought the Sous Vide Supreme, so I don't have an separate IC. Sorry.

How many steaks could you immerse at one time?

Fire Me Boy!
03-15-2012, 04:12 PM
How many steaks could you immerse at one time?

I've done six at one time, I think.

Great Expectations
03-15-2012, 08:05 PM
I've done six at one time, I think.

I might go with one of those then. Is $400 a good price?

I'd like to be able to cook for 8 with one, but 6 is a lot better than 4.

Fire Me Boy!
04-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Trying sous vide chicken breast today. All I have are skinless breasts, though, so I don't want to sear it and dry it out... any out-of-the-box suggestions for a sauce?

Fire Me Boy!
04-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Trying sous vide chicken breast today. All I have are skinless breasts, though, so I don't want to sear it and dry it out... any out-of-the-box suggestions for a sauce?

And I'm out of antifreeze, so no.

mdchiefsfan
04-08-2012, 10:51 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QEl-sFrnJCg/Th8YLr4dnrI/AAAAAAAAD5A/cjC90sfwFww/s1600/ron-swanson-meat-tornado.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
04-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Went with 145 degrees for a little more than 2 hours. It was tasty. Not quite as tender as I'd hoped, but it was very moist. I did a lemon butter cream sauce with it.

I've got a round roast in there now for tomorrow night...

Fire Me Boy!
05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Holy crap, salmon with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and granulated garlic is amazing sous vide! The texture is out of this world.

Just Passin' By
05-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Holy crap, salmon with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and granulated garlic is amazing sous vide! The texture is out of this world.

Sounds like you're getting your money's worth out of the machine, and then some, so congratulations.

Fire Me Boy!
05-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Sounds like you're getting your money's worth out of the machine, and then some, so congratulations.

I honestly go through phases. I'll use it a lot for a couple of weeks and put it up for a month. Then I'll get back into using it. It's a little large and cumbersome for it to be a permanent part of the counter....

But I've been mostly impressed with it. The round roast was unimpressive. Probably would have made really good sandwiches if you sliced it up nice and thin.

The salmon is the first fish I've tried, and it's genuinely the best salmon I've had.

Just Passin' By
05-01-2012, 06:37 PM
I honestly go through phases. I'll use it a lot for a couple of weeks and put it up for a month. Then I'll get back into using it. It's a little large and cumbersome for it to be a permanent part of the counter....

But I've been mostly impressed with it. The round roast was unimpressive. Probably would have made really good sandwiches if you sliced it up nice and thin.

The salmon is the first fish I've tried, and it's genuinely the best salmon I've had.

Well, I'm a big seafood guy, so that would sell me right there.

Fire Me Boy!
05-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Well, I'm a big seafood guy, so that would sell me right there.

I filled with hot tap water, so it only took about 5 minutes to get up to temperature - I cooked it at 123 degrees for 25 minutes.

I've heard sous vide scallops are out of this world.

After this experience with salmon, I'll definitely be trying more fish. I want to do the salmon again, this time with a little lemon zest.

Just Passin' By
05-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Sounds great. I'd definitely love to hear about the scallops, too.

seclark
05-01-2012, 06:54 PM

damn, lose those peas and throw on some fries. i'm down with that.
looks good.
sec

Fire Me Boy!
05-01-2012, 06:58 PM
damn, lose those peas and throw on some fries. i'm down with that.
looks good.
sec

Tryin' to eat healthy here, brah! :thumb:

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Pork tenderloin is very tasty. Cooked right at 135 degrees and seared for 1 minute on each side in a screamin' hot cast iron pan, it came out almost fork tender and sooooo juicy.

T-post Tom
05-05-2012, 05:18 PM
A microbiologist told me that petro-chemicals from the plastic bag leach into the food. He advised against using this method.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2012, 06:44 PM
A microbiologist told me that petro-chemicals from the plastic bag leach into the food. He advised against using this method.

FoodSaver bags are safe in boiling water (212 degrees), which makes 'em safe in 130 degree water too.

lewdog
05-05-2012, 06:47 PM
This is a very interesting way of cooking. Thanks for sharing, might be something to consider one day for myself.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2012, 07:01 PM

There is some credence to this, according to some recent studies. Seems the culprits are BPA, phthalates, and other plasticizers, which are not used in FoodSaver bags (which I use).

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Is it safe to eat pork cooked to 135?

If done right, it's fine. The FDA's guidance for safe temps isn't exactly accurate - they can't give you a time/temp range because they need an idiot to be able to understand it. It's not as simple as temperature; time plays a major part. As one of the books I read about it (Baldwin's Guide to Sous Vide Cooking) says, food safety is about time AND temp - some temps thought to be too low for some foods are perfectly safe if cooked for a long enough time.

At low temps given time, you pasteurize the meat, killing the bacteria. It just takes a little while. The lower the temp the longer it needs to be in the sous vide.

That's one of the benefits of sous vide; you can cook the product to the temperature where it tastes the best. Chicken at 165 is tough and dry; chicken in sous vide at 140 is tender, juicy and delicious.

Fire Me Boy!
05-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Makes sence. My hiccup was pork and 135, but if cooked longer, I can see how it works.

It was at 135 for 3+ hours. Popped it in before the wife and I went to watch The Avengers.

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2012, 10:19 AM
The salmon has been one of my go-to meals for a while. I'm just really impressed with it in sous vide. Doing it for lunch right now, as a matter of fact. Just popped a couple frozen fillets in with some salt, butter and a lemon wedge. Will probably do some farm fresh corn with it... or some sugar snap peas.

bevischief
06-10-2012, 10:27 AM
How much did you pay for this? Not going to read all 14 pages.

Fire Me Boy!
06-10-2012, 10:57 AM
How much did you pay for this? Not going to read all 14 pages.

The Sous Vide Supreme Demi (the smaller version) was $300 (up to $329 on Amazon now). Since I bought it, most reviews have said the bigger version isn't worth the extra $100. It only takes the bath from 8.7 to 10 liters capacity. And at least for me - just me and my wife, and we don't do a lot of entertaining - the Demi is plenty big.

Fire Me Boy!
06-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Still playing around... cod is just OK sous vide. Nothing special. It's nice to be able to get something to the perfect temperature with little work and no oversight, but the cod was just OK.

Fire Me Boy!
06-16-2012, 04:44 PM
I did do some sous vide chicken thighs the other day, and they were outstanding. The sous vide really rendered out a lot of the skin fat, so when I put the skin down in the pan, it came out incredibly crispy.

manchambo
06-16-2012, 05:04 PM
I had a steak cooked this way at the W in NY but they didn't sear it. It was certainly tender and perfectly done but I couldn't quite get over the grayness. Your way looks better.

Fire Me Boy!
06-16-2012, 05:05 PM
I had a steak cooked this way at the W in NY but they didn't sear it. It was certainly tender and perfectly done but I couldn't quite get over the grayness. Your way looks better.

What?!?! Sounds like a mistake.

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2012, 07:53 AM
My first go at prime steaks in the sous vide... I've got a nice rub on some prime sirloins, just finished up a herb gravy, going to do some roasted new potatoes and onions (both from the farmer's market) and some green beans amandine.

Buck
08-05-2012, 08:03 AM
How long do those go in for?

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2012, 08:05 AM
How long do those go in for?

Anywhere from 2-12 hours. I'll have them in for about 6 today.

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Just put the herb gravy through the Vitamix, and it's really tasty. Basically just chicken stock, thyme, onions, garlic, a little soy sauce and finished with some butter. Blended the whole sumbitch up and seasoned with salt/pepper.

Buck
08-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Anywhere from 2-12 hours. I'll have them in for about 6 today.

Does the time make any difference, or once it's at ideal temperature all the way through, is it ready to go whenever?

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Does the time make any difference, or once it's at ideal temperature all the way through, is it ready to go whenever?

It's technically ready when it's cooked through, but if you let it go a longer, you'll generally end up with it more tender as the connective tissue dissolves. There's a point, however, where the proteins begin to denature and it gets mushy. That generally doesn't happen until you get in 12+ hour cooking with this kind of steak. There are other cuts, like roasts, that benefit from the 24- to 36-hour cooks.

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2012, 08:13 AM
I've had really good luck with 6-8 hours on sirloins.

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Having company over tonight... added strawberry sorbet to the menu.

Stewie
08-05-2012, 02:07 PM
My first go at prime steaks in the sous vide... I've got a nice rub on some prime sirloins, just finished up a herb gravy, going to do some roasted new potatoes and onions (both from the farmer's market) and some green beans amandine.

A cursory look, but that is not prime. This is what prime looks like.

http://www.kansascitysteaks.com/_FileLibrary/ProductGroup/829/Prime-Boneless-Rib-Eye.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2012, 02:52 PM
That's a prime rib eye. I didn't get prime rIb eye. It most definitely is prime sirloin. These steaks are way better marbled than any sirloin I've ever cooked.

Just Passin' By
08-05-2012, 02:55 PM
This thread got me to talk to a couple of chef friends of mine. Between the thread and those chefs, I've been convinced to pick up one of the sous vide machines. It's not high on the list, so it'll be a while before I get one, but you've swayed at least one of us here, so thanks for that.

Just Passin' By
08-05-2012, 02:56 PM
BTW, how much are you paying for prime sirloin in your neck of the woods?

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2012, 03:24 PM
BTW, how much are you paying for prime sirloin in your neck of the woods?

$7/pound

Stewie
08-05-2012, 03:43 PM
That's a prime rib eye. I didn't get prime rIb eye. It most definitely is prime sirloin. These steaks are way better marbled than any sirloin I've ever cooked.

My bad. Here's marbling from left to right on sirloin... prime... choice... select. If you were sold the sirloin in the picture you posted as prime you were screwed.

http://www.savenorsmarket.com/web/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Callaway_Sirloin.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2012, 03:47 PM
My bad. Here's marbling from left to right on sirloin... prime... choice... select

http://www.savenorsmarket.com/web/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Callaway_Sirloin.jpg

Who knew all prime steaks looked alike... learn something new every day here.

:shake:

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2012, 03:50 PM
If you were sold the sirloin in the picture you posted as prime you were screwed.

The steaks - when you're looking at the real deal, not pics taken from a POS camera - look much more marbled. It's very thin streaking throughout the whole steak. Much more marbling than any of the choice I've ever bought.

Stewie
08-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Who knew all prime steaks looked alike... learn something new every day here.

:shake:

You think those are all prime? Really?

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2012, 03:53 PM
You think those are all prime? Really?

No, I'm saying you assuming that all prime steaks - the pic you showed vs. a terrible pic of mine - would all look alike is utterly ridiculous.

Stewie
08-05-2012, 03:54 PM
The steaks - when you're looking at the real deal, not pics taken from a POS camera - look much more marbled. It's very thin streaking throughout the whole steak. Much more marbling than any of the choice I've ever bought.

Ah, OK. The camera didn't show prime marbling. It looked like choice at best, but most likely select.

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Ah, OK. The camera didn't show prime marbling. It looked like choice at best, but most likely select.

You're arguing about steaks you can't see for yourself, and even though I think I've proven that I'm not completely full of shit when it comes to food, you won't take my word for it. I'm telling you, these steaks look NOTHING like the select and WAY more like your prime pics than your choice pics. But if you're going to stick to your guns on this, whatever dude.

Stewie
08-05-2012, 04:05 PM
You're arguing about steaks you can't see for yourself, and even thought I think I've proven that I'm not completely full of shit when it comes to food, you won't take my word for it. I'm telling you, these steaks look NOTHING like the select and WAY more like your prime pics than your choice pics. But if you're going to stick to your guns on this, whatever dude.

I'm just saying that the dark and light areas of the steak pics you took didn't look like prime to me. I could definitely see dark red and white areas. No problem brother. I hope those steaks are tender and juicy.

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm just saying that the dark and light areas of the steak pics you took didn't look like prime to me. I could definitely see dark red and white areas. No problem brother. I hope those steaks are tender and juicy.

Hmm... not sure where you got that pic, but I'm going to assume you didn't read. For some background here's the page.

http://www.savenorsmarket.com/web/butchery/beef/

The far left, the one you're saying is prime, is actually wagyu. Prime is center. The one on the right is a local Maine Angus.

I'm now even more convinced mine is prime.

Bump
08-05-2012, 04:24 PM
I've had this method from an actual chef a few days ago, I watched him make it and learned a little and it came out freaking great!! we had steak, chicken and salmon with it. Really good!

Fire Me Boy!
08-05-2012, 04:39 PM
I've had this method from an actual chef a few days ago, I watched him make it and learned a little and it came out freaking great!! we had steak, chicken and salmon with it. Really good!

Salmon is one of my favorites done sous vide.

Baby Lee
08-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Vacay pic arguments?
Fat distribution arguments?

And people knock the DC ghetto for idiocy?

;)

|Zach|
08-05-2012, 05:26 PM
I didn't know what it was called at the time I first saw it but I saw one of these at a restaurant in town. The place has an open ended kitchen with a bar right by it where I had dinner. I saw the steaks in their little jacuzzi and asked the Chef about it. Had a really fantastic strip steak that had been prepared a similar way. One of the best steaks I have had in KC with some compound butter.

http://www.theriegerkc.com/

Fire Me Boy!
08-06-2012, 07:17 AM
I didn't know what it was called at the time I first saw it but I saw one of these at a restaurant in town. The place has an open ended kitchen with a bar right by it where I had dinner. I saw the steaks in their little jacuzzi and asked the Chef about it. Had a really fantastic strip steak that had been prepared a similar way. One of the best steaks I have had in KC with some compound butter.

http://www.theriegerkc.com/

The steaks last night were outstanding, as usual, but I'd probably not do prime in the sous vide again. It was really too tender. Choice steaks cook up very tender as it is, so I think I'll reserve prime for full-on grilling.

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Some big players entering the sous vide market. Still an expensive tool, but we're starting to get better tools for less money.

The Sous Vide Supreme Demi that I have is $330 on Amazon, with a max capacity of 8.7 liters (2.3 gallons). The full-size SVS has a max capacity of 11.2 liters (2.96 gallons). It does a great job, but you're not going to get a lot in there at once.

PolyScience just released the Sous Vide Discovery (http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide-discovery.php#1) at a sub-$300 price point, with a max capacity of more than double the Demi at max volume 20 liters (5.3 gallons). And it's not tied to a specific tank. You can buy different tanks for different applications.

Just Passin' By
10-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Some big players entering the sous vide market. Still an expensive tool, but we're starting to get better tools for less money.

The Sous Vide Supreme Demi that I have is $330 on Amazon, with a max capacity of 8.7 liters (2.3 gallons). The full-size SVS has a max capacity of 11.2 liters (2.96 gallons). It does a great job, but you're not going to get a lot in there at once.

PolyScience just released the Sous Vide Discovery (http://www.cuisinetechnology.com/sousvide-discovery.php#1) at a sub-$300 price point, with a max capacity of more than double the Demi at max volume 20 liters (5.3 gallons). And it's not tied to a specific tank. You can buy different tanks for different applications.

If the trends continue, we'll see more restaurant-type equipment becoming available for the home cook at reasonable prices, which would be excellent news for everyone except restaurants.

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2013, 11:47 AM
If the trends continue, we'll see more restaurant-type equipment becoming available for the home cook at reasonable prices, which would be excellent news for everyone except restaurants.

I agree it'll be good for everyone, but don't think it'll be bad for restaurants. The expertise and ingredient availability to restaurants is still superior to most home cooks, and people still like to be catered to.

saphojunkie
10-30-2013, 11:54 AM
I agree it'll be good for everyone, but don't think it'll be bad for restaurants. The expertise and ingredient availability to restaurants is still superior to most home cooks, and people still like to be catered to.

Shit man, steak houses are still rolling, and any asshole can throw meat on a flame.

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Shit man, steak houses are still rolling, and any asshole can throw meat on a flame.

If you look even at our small community on CP and visit a few of the grilling threads, you'll quickly figure out there are a shitton of people that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to grilling steaks, and I think we've got a lot of better-than-average home cooks here.

Great Expectations
10-30-2013, 12:16 PM
I've been thinking about getting one for a while. I might convert my crock pot like this:

http://www.cookingforgeeks.com/blog/posts/diy-sous-vide/

Just Passin' By
10-30-2013, 12:50 PM

Yes, but more and more gadgets are out there making error-proof cooking an inexpensive option. Hell, Marinade in a vacuum seal, cook it in the sous vide, sear it in a pan and you've got the perfect steak even without a steakhouse oven. I never go out for steak anymore, because I can make it better than most restaurants do, and I'm just a good, but not exceptional, cook.

And, since you can freeze the vacuum sealed steak, you can do this in bulk and have multiple meals with almost no time invested.

Great Expectations
10-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Yes, but more and more gadgets are out there making error-proof cooking an inexpensive option. Hell, Marinade in a vacuum seal, cook it in the sous vide, sear it in a pan and you've got the perfect steak even without a steakhouse oven. I never go out for steak anymore, because I can make it better than most restaurants do, and I'm just a good, but not exceptional, cook.

And, since you can freeze the vacuum sealed steak, you can do this in bulk and have multiple meals with almost no time invested.

You lost me at Marinade, unless you were talking about a skirt steak or something. Your post appears to condone marinating a strip steak.

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2013, 01:43 PM
You lost me at Marinade, unless you were talking about a skirt steak or something. Your post appears to condone marinating a strip steak.

Sous vide does a great job on cheap steak. I've made sirloin sous vide that was every bit as tender as filet mignon.

Holladay
10-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Wow, nice find on my part. I love to grill. Not saying I'm the best at it, but willing to learn.

I have a Weber Genesis grill which I love. The wife is German and thinks my steaks are perfect...and wants me to still use marinade. I usually Jaccard then put steaks in zip locks and add marinade for 1 hour. Then I sear on a 400 deg grill ~ 1-2 min per side, depending on thickness.

I've been trying to use just salt and pepper dry rub. She still likes the marinade. To each their own I guess.

I watched the Douglas Baldwin video and he was searing using a butane torch. Who doesn't like FIRE BABY? Try doing that as the final presentation in front of friends and family. I read that you use a piping hot cast iron pan.

My question is what is the benefit or difference. My thinking is there isn't. A sear = a sear.

That torch was kick ass thou:)

Fire Me Boy!
10-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Wow, nice find on my part. I love to grill. Not saying I'm the best at it, but willing to learn.

I have a Weber Genesis grill which I love. The wife is German and thinks my steaks are perfect...and wants me to still use marinade. I usually Jaccard then put steaks in zip locks and add marinade for 1 hour. Then I sear on a 400 deg grill ~ 1-2 min per side, depending on thickness.

I've been trying to use just salt and pepper dry rub. She still likes the marinade. To each their own I guess.

I watched the Douglas Baldwin video and he was searing using a butane torch. Who doesn't like FIRE BABY? Try doing that as the final presentation in front of friends and family. I read that you use a piping hot cast iron pan.

My question is what is the benefit or difference. My thinking is there isn't. A sear = a sear.

That torch was kick ass thou:)

I personally think you get better flavor out of the cast iron, and it generally tastes better. I actually use both these days. I'll sear the top and bottom and while those are going, I'll use the butane torch to do the sides. It's awesome to torch the fat cap.

Great Expectations
08-20-2014, 12:25 PM
This looks like a great option:

http://www.cnet.com/products/anova-precision-cooker/

Fire Me Boy!
08-20-2014, 12:32 PM
This looks like a great option:

http://www.cnet.com/products/anova-precision-cooker/

I almost bought one when they were on Kickstarter. Decided I couldn't really justify it since I already had one.

Dayze
08-20-2014, 12:40 PM
What is sous vide in a nutshell?

Ming the Merciless
08-20-2014, 12:45 PM
What is sous vie in a nutshell?

Using a water bath to cook things (in sealed packages, so no water touches) to a very precise temperature...

Like say you want a steak at exactly 130 degrees...

You set the water bath to 130 and you place your sealed bag of filet on there.....it gets to 130 degrees...and STAYS there.....perfectly done, because the water is at 130...

Then you can take it out when you want to plate it, put some grill marks on it, and plate/present it and it will be perfect.

Fire Me Boy!
08-20-2014, 12:46 PM
What is sous vie in a nutshell?

Cooking in a vacuum packed bag with a water bath at precisely controlled temperatures.

The best example I can give is steak. When you cook a steak normally, you end up with a band of overcooked meat and perfectly cooked center because you're cooking the outside at 400-500 (or higher) degrees. With sous vide, you cook the same steak at exactly what temperature you want to serve it - 130 degrees for medium rare. So when you pull the meat out, the entire cut is 130 degrees. You do a super fast sear over scorching high heat (30-60 seconds), and you end up with a perfectly cooked steak with none of that overcooked band.

Textures can get different, and because time + temp can kill pretty much anything, you can also serve things like chicken or pork at below the USDA recommended temperatures. So for chicken, I'll do sous vide at 145, which gives extraordinarily tender and juicy breasts (anything under that and the meat has a weird spongy texture).