PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Bourdain goes to the Ozarks

NewChief
03-27-2011, 02:33 PM
I can imagine that this will be full of hillbilly goodness (hopefully it's not too stereotypical). Evidently much of the episode is spent with Daniel Woodrell the author of Winter's Bone.

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Anthony_Bourdain/Episodes_Travel_Guides/Ozarks

shirtsleeve
03-27-2011, 02:47 PM
I can imagine that this will be full of hillbilly goodness (hopefully it's not too stereotypical). Evidently much of the episode is spent with Daniel Woodrell the author of Winter's Bone.

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Anthony_Bourdain/Episodes_Travel_Guides/Ozarks

I met him once in Albany. The guy is an asshat and a better than thou snob.

Other than that, he seemed ok to me.

NewChief
03-27-2011, 02:51 PM

He seems like he'd be an asshole (lots of people in the culinary world are... plus he's a New Yorker and an alcoholic/druggie... two more strikes against him). That being said, I enjoy his show. Premium snark. Unfortunately, I haven't liked this season as much as ones in the past.

Frazod
03-27-2011, 02:53 PM

Yeah, he really doesn't seem to bother hiding it, either. The guy's a pompous New York liberal and that pretty much is what it is.

That said, I do like his show - it is entertaining and informative. You just have to be able to get past the fact that he wouldn't piss on any of the people he meets to put out flames if the camera wasn't rolling.

Reaper16
03-27-2011, 02:55 PM
No Reservations is one of the best programs on all of TV. It's stellar video essay work.

NewPhin -- how can you not be liking this season as much? Did you see the Haiti episode?!?

NewChief
03-27-2011, 02:56 PM
No Reservations is one of the best programs on all of TV. It's stellar video essay work.

NewPhin -- how can you not be liking this season as much? Did you see the Haiti episode?!?

That's what I don't like. It's moved into an earnestness that I find unsettling from Bourdain.

nychief
Yeah, stupid druggie.

Reaper16
Yeah, he really doesn't seem to bother hiding it, either. The guy's a pompous New York liberal and that pretty much is what it is.

That said, I do like his show - it is entertaining and informative. You just have to be able to get past the fact that he wouldn't piss on any of the people he meets to put out flames if the camera wasn't rolling.
That's really not true.

Reaper16
03-27-2011, 02:57 PM
That's what I don't like. It's moved into an earnestness that I find unsettling from Bourdain.
Boooo.

Frazod
03-27-2011, 02:58 PM
That's really not true.

Yeah, I'll bet Bordain is volunteering at a soup kitchen in Harlem with Bill Maher as I type this. LMAO

shirtsleeve
03-27-2011, 03:03 PM
That's really not true.

Well, have you actually seen him piss on the people he meets to put out the flames when the cameras weren't rolling?:hmmm:

I thought not.:harumph:

Reaper16
03-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I'll bet Bordain is volunteering at a soup kitchen in Harlem with Bill Maher as I type this. LMAO
He's working today. Besides, that's a false dichotomy that you've set up.

His show is essay programming, and he's always essaying on the places and cultures he's learning about. Either Bourdain is lying every minute of his show about what he's feeling and thinking or, you know, he actually believes what he says. Occam's Razor and all.

Frazod
03-27-2011, 03:06 PM
He's working today. Besides, that's a false dichotomy that you've set up.

His show is essay programming, and he's always essaying on the places and cultures he's learning about. Either Bourdain is lying every minute of his show about what he's feeling and thinking or, you know, he actually believes what he says. Occam's Razor and all.

I'll bet you think Mel Gibson can shoot a smiley face around a bullseye at fifty yards, too.

Reaper16
03-27-2011, 03:08 PM
I'll bet you think Mel Gibson can shoot a smiley face around a bullseye at fifty yards, too.
I don't know what that means. Is that sexual code for something?

Frazod
03-27-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't know what that means. Is that sexual code for something?

My apologies, I forgot that you won't understand movie analogies for anything that was actually popular.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-27-2011, 03:10 PM
I like Bourdain. He's honest. His books are pretty good, both fiction and non-fiction.

I do think he has a heart, it's shown a few times on his show without being preachy about it.

Winter's Bone is a good movie if you haven't seen it BTW.

Reaper16
03-27-2011, 03:16 PM
My apologies, I forgot that you won't understand movie analogies for anything that was actually popular.
C'mon, man. Of course I got the reference to Lethal Weapon. Everybody has seen Lethal Weapon. Jesus.

Jenson71
03-27-2011, 03:24 PM
I haven't seen Lethal Weapon

Slainte
03-27-2011, 03:26 PM

I've seen it. And hated it.

NewChief
03-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Boooo.

The scene where they tried to feed the people, and it turned into a riot was pretty excellent (and sad), though.

And I should temper my criticism: the main reason that I don't "like" the attempt to be earnest and cut down on the snark and deal with real issues is that it feels like the show is changing... and often changes of that nature signify the beginning of the end.

Crush
03-27-2011, 05:52 PM

I've seen it. And hated it.

I liked Lethal Weapon 5 better.

Demonpenz
03-27-2011, 06:05 PM
I was never a leathal weapon fan, although I did like that the white guy was the loose cannon in that one and the black guy was by the book

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Bourdain reminds me too much of the villain from Under Siege 2.

Gonzo
03-27-2011, 08:16 PM
I love his show. He's brutally honest when it comes to the Food Network Chefs too.
I figured he was probably an ass hole, that plays right into the show.
Posted via Mobile Device

WV
03-27-2011, 08:24 PM
I like him as a judge on Top Chef....brutally honest and pretty funny. But I'd say in real life he's just an ahole. At least he quit smoking though so you don't have to watch him sucking a cig 3/4 of the show.

Otter
03-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Bourdain reminds me too much of the villain from Under Siege 2.

Reminds me of the doctor from "House M.D."

Hit & miss show.

RJ
03-27-2011, 09:10 PM
I like Bourdain. He's honest. His books are pretty good, both fiction and non-fiction.

I do think he has a heart, it's shown a few times on his show without being preachy about it.

Winter's Bone is a good movie if you haven't seen it BTW.

Same here.

And having spent some years in the restaurant business, a guy who comes from that can't be too terribly snobbish, at least not in a traditional sense.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-27-2011, 09:12 PM
http://www.konakart.com/konakart/images/dvd/under_siege2_4_big.jpg

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/41524/1d/api.foodnetwork.ca/images/DMM/A/N/Anthony_Bourdain_003.jpg

Reminds me of the doctor from "House M.D."

Hit & miss show.

Otter
03-27-2011, 09:34 PM
http://www.drugfreehomes.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/House-MD.jpg

Reaper16
03-27-2011, 09:38 PM
The scene where they tried to feed the people, and it turned into a riot was pretty excellent (and sad), though.

And I should temper my criticism: the main reason that I don't "like" the attempt to be earnest and cut down on the snark and deal with real issues is that it feels like the show is changing... and often changes of that nature signify the beginning of the end.
I submit that the show has always balanced snark and restaurant scene and straight-up ethnography via foodways. This season began with three fairly serious episodes in a row (Haiti, Cambodia, Nicaragua), then last week's episode on Vienna was snarky and light-hearted. But there have always been very serious episodes. Have you not seen: US/Mexico Border, Sicily, Beirut, Ireland, Ghana, Berlin, New Orleans, Saudi Arabia, Laos, Vietnam 2, Disappearing Manhattan, Rust Belt USA, Istanbul, Dubai, etc. Those are just immediately off the top of my head as examples of the kinds of serious episodes that you find the show to be, just now, changing towards.

NewChief
03-28-2011, 05:17 AM
I submit that the show has always balanced snark and restaurant scene and straight-up ethnography via foodways. This season began with three fairly serious episodes in a row (Haiti, Cambodia, Nicaragua), then last week's episode on Vienna was snarky and light-hearted. But there have always been very serious episodes. Have you not seen: US/Mexico Border, Sicily, Beirut, Ireland, Ghana, Berlin, New Orleans, Saudi Arabia, Laos, Vietnam 2, Disappearing Manhattan, Rust Belt USA, Istanbul, Dubai, etc. Those are just immediately off the top of my head as examples of the kinds of serious episodes that you find the show to be, just now, changing towards.

I agree and disagree. Haiti, Cambodia, and Nicaragua shows just had a different feel to them, to me. I've seen most, if not all, of the episodes you mention... and yes... they have some level of seriousness to them. I still feel that this season started out with a different tone that made me (subjectively of course) feel that the show was trying to reach for something more. And really, there's nothing wrong with reaching and changing (thought I suppose it's debatable whether they actually were reaching/changing), but it had the feel of a move toward the inevitable shark jump.

Easy 6
03-28-2011, 08:51 AM
I watch his show quite a bit & it doesnt surprise me one bit to hear that he's a bit of a prick in real life, but i still enjoy the show.

My favorite episode is when he goes to Romania with his Russian fixer/pal Samir, he just shreds that entire country & its food for the entire show, often right in front of the people serving him the food. You can see Samir become visibly embarrassed several times. Cant say that i blame Anthony though, that country did look boring, dirty & backwards.

Another good one is Greece, awesome looking food & the seaside picnic looked like a lot of fun with several hot Greek chix. He's actually fairly polite to everyone in this episode.

Reaper16
03-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Well, reactions to the episode? I was proud of every bit of it. It isn't going to change coastal perceptions of rural Missouri one bit though. Heh.

NewChief
03-29-2011, 05:48 AM
Well, reactions to the episode? I was proud of every bit of it. It isn't going to change coastal perceptions of rural Missouri one bit though. Heh.

I missed the first part of it and came in about halfway through the arm-wrestling (no DVR., damnit). I liked the episode. I would have liked to see him show a little more diversity in the culture, but I thought it was good (but man... those duck hunters couldn't shoot for shit).

A lot of people are having negative reactions to it and saying that he just hung out with a bunch of hicks, but I'd prefer him capturing regional culture over him trying to capture rehashed versions of other cultures being done in the region (trying to go to a Asian fusion fine dining restaurant around here or something).

I would have liked to see him do maybe one bit on someone that's doing farm to table or forest to table in the region to emphasize that people around here have been just living like that for a long time regardless of current trends in food culture. Him showing hunters who don't eat their food will contribute to coastal foodie snobbishness. That's not his fault, though, it's the fault of the hunters.

KCUnited
03-29-2011, 06:10 AM
The good news is, we found Mecca. Apparently, he's playing with Ha Ha Tonka.

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4341/hahatonka.jpg (http://img825.imageshack.us/i/hahatonka.jpg/)

Yeah, the highlights were gigging for sucker fish and the arm wrrestling contest. The coon hunt and duck hunt not so much. Honestly, that spaghetti reds from Fred and Red's made me want to detour around Joplin.

eazyb81
03-29-2011, 06:13 AM
Wow, that episode sure didn't make Missouri look like a hick state. Not at all.

Marcellus
03-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Wow, that episode sure didn't make Missouri look like a hick state. Not at all.

Was it the arm wrastlin, the possum penis, or breaking the shoulder of our state pride author while trying to gig suckers that did it for ya?

eazyb81
03-29-2011, 07:28 AM
Was it the arm wrastlin, the possum penis, or breaking the shoulder of our state pride author while trying to gig suckers that did it for ya?

I think it was actually the coon huntin'.

tooge
03-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Bourdain is awesome. An asshat? Whatever. Actually, if you listen to his dialog during the show, both in question and answer with the locals and in his monologue, he is pure genius. He delves not only into the food, but the culture and history of the area he is visiting. I feel like I learn something every time I watch his show. I certainly cant say that for most of the crap on tv.

dtebbe
03-29-2011, 09:32 AM
If he didn't make it to a mid-missouri bachelor party complete with mountain oysters I will be disappointed LMAO

DT

Discuss Thrower
03-29-2011, 10:02 AM
What did he have to say about Fred and Reds?

Reaper16
03-29-2011, 10:02 AM
I would have liked to see him do maybe one bit on someone that's doing farm to table or forest to table in the region to emphasize that people around here have been just living like that for a long time regardless of current trends in food culture. Him showing hunters who don't eat their food will contribute to coastal foodie snobbishness. That's not his fault, though, it's the fault of the hunters.
Agreed. Plus. that guy was a Nebraska fan. Lame.

Frazod
03-29-2011, 10:11 AM
I did like the show. There were certainly some cringe-inducing moments (I got the feeling that Bourdain wasn't really digging on the whole arm-wrasslin bit), and the whole eating coon thing made me want to puke, but it certainly wasn't as bad as it could have been. It was cool to see him actually hunting, and cooking up the duck that (I think?) he shot himself.

One part that bothered me - I realize the time of year they were shooting this didn't help, but that area is so beautiful (especially the Current River) and it almost seemed like they went out of their way not to capture any of it.

I can't imagine this will end up being much of a boon for local tourism.

Oh, and the sick fucks who put pickles in spaghetti need to die. :bang:

CHENZ A!
03-29-2011, 10:18 AM
I am not a picky eater at all, but that Fred and Reds shit looked nearly inedible. Chili on spaghetti noodles is just wrong, that Cincinatti skyline crap sucks too. However, the fish fry that they had looked fantastic, as did the meal at the very end.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief
03-29-2011, 10:39 AM
I did like the show. There were certainly some cringe-inducing moments (I got the feeling that Bourdain wasn't really digging on the whole arm-wrasslin bit), and the whole eating coon thing made me want to puke, but it certainly wasn't as bad as it could have been. It was cool to see him actually hunting, and cooking up the duck that (I think?) he shot himself.

One part that bothered me - I realize the time of year they were shooting this didn't help, but that area is so beautiful (especially the Current River) and it almost seemed like they went out of their way not to capture any of it.

I can't imagine this will end up being much of a boon for local tourism.

Oh, and the sick ****s who put pickles in spaghetti need to die. :bang:

My wife and I both agreed with you on their location choices. Would have been nice to see the Current or the Buffalo River. Eureka Springs would have been cool as well.

Frazod
03-29-2011, 10:40 AM
My wife and I both agreed with you on their location choices. Would have been nice to see the Current or the Buffalo River. Eureka Springs would have been cool as well.

They were on the Current River - that's where the author fell and broke his shoulder. It just looked so nuclear-wastelandy that you couldn't tell.

Discuss Thrower
03-29-2011, 10:42 AM
I am not a picky eater at all, but that Fred and Reds shit looked nearly inedible. Chili on spaghetti noodles is just wrong, that Cincinatti skyline crap sucks too. However, the fish fry that they had looked fantastic, as did the meal at the very end.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's fucking glorious man. It takes years off of your life, but it tastes awesome.

MOhillbilly
03-29-2011, 11:15 AM
fresh sucker done right is food of the gods.

tooge
03-29-2011, 11:25 AM
fresh sucker done right is food of the gods.

This. Of all the wierd crap he has eaten all over the world, a properly scored, breaded, and fried sucker has to be one of the best

NewChief
03-29-2011, 11:29 AM
They were on the Current River - that's where the author fell and broke his shoulder. It just looked so nuclear-wastelandy that you couldn't tell.

They also picked an unfortunate time of year, I suppose.

MOhillbilly
03-29-2011, 11:33 AM
This. Of all the wierd crap he has eaten all over the world, a properly scored, breaded, and fried sucker has to be one of the best

They can have all the Tree Rat they want though. Nasty.

FishingRod
03-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Gotta say I like the show best of all the lets go eat some strange food shows. I really enjoyed the show where he hung out with Ted Nudgent. Contrast in ideas can be good food for thought, so to speak. I never go looking for the show but find myself taking my tumb off the clicker when it comes up.

Alton deFlat
03-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

You know, I drive past that place every day, and have yet to eat there. I've been told for years that it's good, but being Italian, I just can't quite bring myself to have chili over spaghetti. I love good chili, and I was fed pasta from my baby bottle, but.....

I'll still probably try it someday.

Shogun
03-29-2011, 12:26 PM
It was really cool, great show, although they shot the Mallard on the water. still good

dtebbe
03-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Duck and squirrel.. that's MO to me!

Never had squirrel pot pie, but I know for a fact that my grandma could rock that dish!

The arm wrestling was totally redneck, and coon hunting.. well.. to each their own. I did have BBQ coon once at a Rotary club wild game fundraiser and it was OK.

DT

MOhillbilly
03-30-2011, 03:37 PM
They didnt get high on meth and fuck a skunk?

Not a true Ozarkian til you do.

Gonzo
03-30-2011, 03:44 PM
They didnt get high on meth and fuck a skunk?

Not a true Ozarkian til you do.
I wonder, what kinda VD can you get from a skunk?
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
03-30-2011, 03:46 PM
I wonder, what kinda VD can you get from a skunk?
Posted via Mobile Device

Id say none. You ever tried to fuck a skunk?

Gonzo
03-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Id say none. You ever tried to fuck a skunk?
I can't say that I have. I'd be nervous about rabies.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
03-30-2011, 03:49 PM
I can't say that I have. I'd be nervous about rabies.
Posted via Mobile Device

Me too.

Gonzo
03-30-2011, 03:50 PM
My fugly sister in law tried to bang me once...

Does that count?
Posted via Mobile Device

Otter
03-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Id say none. You ever tried to **** a skunk?

And you call yourself a "hillbilly"! :harumph:

Easy 6
03-30-2011, 04:24 PM
although they shot the Mallard on the water.

My work buddy from MO actually calls that 'Ozarken'em'.

NewChief
05-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Replay on right now.