PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto It's Surge Supressor Season

Dinny Bossa Nova
03-28-2011, 08:17 PM
If you bought your surge protection unit several years ago and it was the cheapest one on the rack at walmart, bad things can happen.

When a surge supressor supresses a surge it is called "clamping" or something like that. Once MOST ALL if not all cheap supressors are capable of clamping only one time. And if your budget brand clamper has clamped, it won't tell you it has. It will still "work" as in everything plugged into it will still get power, but those devices are no longer protected.

One thing to consider when buying a surge supressor is its clamp rating. It is typically expressed in joules, which is a fancy word for a wholebuncha volts. If the one you are buying does not have a joules rating, find one that does and pony up.

Does anybody know anybody, or know anybody that knows anybody that actually collected the tens of thousands of dollars insurance on a blowed up system that was protected by the twelve dollar surge supressor? It says so on the wrapper.

A power "conditioner" is a good (about 200 bucks) choice for your man cave high-end electronics system, but I would probably even have it plugged in to a high quality supressor.

A good tip for the budget supressors is piggyback two or three of them before you plug in your devices and replace EVERY year before thunderstorm season.

Lightning comes in over phone lines quicker than other ways, so your satellite receiver or any other phone line connected to expensive or crucial stuff should be disconnected FROM THE WALL and line moved away from outlet.

I know I am not the only sparky around here, so correct me or chime in.

Dinny

sent from my laptop using HuntnPeck

Phobia
03-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Did you write this?

Dinny Bossa Nova
03-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Did you write this?

Yes.

Dinny

KS Smitty
03-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Did you write this?

It appears that Dinny had a close encounter of the supressor kind.

Dinny is this what caused your heart to go boom chicka bow wow?

Phobia
03-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Yes.

Dinny

Would you mind if I publish it for our readers?

Dinny Bossa Nova
03-28-2011, 08:32 PM
It appears that Dinny had a close encounter of the supressor kind.

Dinny is this what caused your heart to go boom chicka bow wow?

Naw, dawg. It was the wacky cholesterol thing. I have researched and learned a ton of stuff in a very short amount of time. Very fascinating stuff. HUGE changes already made and underway.

I feel like I'm 19 again. Seriously have not felt this good for thirty years.

Dinny

Dinny Bossa Nova
03-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Would you mind if I publish it for our readers?

I would consider it an honor.

Dinny

KS Smitty
03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Naw, dawg. It was the wacky cholesterol thing. I have researched and learned a ton of stuff in a very short amount of time. Very fascinating stuff. HUGE changes already made and underway.

I feel like I'm 19 again. Seriously have not felt this good for thirty years.

Dinny

Cool beans! :thumb: Now let's get a PARTY together!!!

Bugeater
03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Bearcat says these things are not necessary.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Buy a voltage regulator and a surge protector with a connected equipment guarantee. That's all you need. $65 bucks for both if you look around.

Dinny Bossa Nova
03-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Cool beans! :thumb: Now let's get a PARTY together!!!

GREAT!!!!!

I have a brand new lampshade.

I'LL CALL SAUTO!!!!!!

Dinny

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Bearcat says these things are not necessary.

Paying $200 for a power conditioner is the height of stupidity, but voltage regulators can protect you from voltage fluctuations and brownouts.

Dinny Bossa Nova
03-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Buy a voltage regulator and a surge protector with a connected equipment guarantee. That's all you need. $65 bucks for both if you look around.

Were you able to read the fine print without reading glasses?

I would want Donger to clear up any ambiguities.

And I'd still replace it every year. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Dinny

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-28-2011, 08:53 PM
Here:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-LE1200-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/dp/B00009RA60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301367033&sr=8-1

+

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-12-Outlet-Protector-Ethernet-Protection/dp/B000HPX46U/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301367076&sr=1-4

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Were you able to read the fine print without reading glasses?

I would want Donger to clear up any ambiguities.

And I'd still replace it every year. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Dinny

You have a homeowner's policy for a reason. Anything short of a lightning arrestor isn't going to stop you from a direct hit, but a good surge protector will protect you (and has saved me) from huge surges in electricity.

Most of the damage, wear, and tear to electronics comes from the subtle variance in voltage from your 120 VAC wall outlets. A $45 voltage regulator will protect you from that. That also "cleans" the power that your $200 Monster pieces of shit claim to do.

Dinny Bossa Nova
03-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Paying $200 for a power conditioner is the height of stupidity, but voltage regulators can protect you from voltage fluctuations and brownouts.

Stupidity? That seems harsh.

I assume you have studied and/or worked in the electrical indusry extensively. I'm sure there is much I can learn from you, provided you are willing to share some of your vast knowledge on the subject.

Either that or your just a goddamned extremist.

Dinny

Saulbadguy
03-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Power surges give me an excuse to upgrade my electronics once every few years. No thanks.

shirtsleeve
03-28-2011, 09:00 PM
I thought this was going to be another gun thread. Imagine my disappointment.

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Stupidity? That seems harsh.

I assume you have studied and/or worked in the electrical indusry extensively. I'm sure there is much I can learn from you, provided you are willing to share some of your vast knowledge on the subject.

Either that or your just a goddamned extremist.

Dinny

I can tell you that most people who peddle $200 suppressors are selling you overvalued shit because they are.

It's another example of making a huge amount of profit by preying on ignorance.

mikeyis4dcats.
03-28-2011, 09:05 PM
there are also whole-house surge protection options, start around 500-600 bucks.

KS Smitty
03-28-2011, 09:08 PM
I thought this was going to be another gun thread. Imagine my disappointment.

I thought it was an anti-war thread.

Dinny Bossa Nova
03-28-2011, 09:09 PM
I can tell you that most people who peddle $200 suppressors are selling you overvalued shit because they are.

It's another example of making a huge amount of profit by preying on ignorance.

Color me embarassed and in the dark. Ignorant is a much better choice.

I will now log out and locate the egg remover for my face.

Dinny

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Color me embarassed and in the dark. Ignorant is a much better choice.

I will now log out and locate the egg remover for my face.

Dinny

Dude, there's no need for the passive aggressive shit. Basically, almost all commercial home surge protectors have an MOV in them, and all MOVs trip faster than the surge will reach the connected components.

Also, a decent quality protector will give you an indicator of when the useful life is up.

It has nothing to do with hysterics or extremes.

shirtsleeve
03-28-2011, 09:22 PM
I thought it was an anti-war thread.

Or maybe an ad for a new condom?

Frankie
03-28-2011, 11:32 PM
I need to go change my personal surge Protector. I need a dry one.

Crush
03-29-2011, 04:55 AM
I made my own surge protector.