PDA

View Full Version : Music Rock N Poll: Round 3, Heat 1

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Pick 4 songs in this round

We are now down to the top 45 songs in the tournament. We had 42 that advanced by being in the top three (including some ties), so to round out the field we'll add the three fourth-place songs with the narrowest margins of defeat. Those three songs are:

We Will Rock You, Queen
Master of Puppets, Metallica
Dust in the Wind, Kansas

The fourth round will feature 9 songs per heat, with five heats. You will select your top four songs, and the top four will advance into the fourth round.

Here are the remaining performers, and songs represented by them:

AC/DC 4
Aerosmith 3
Guns N Roses 3
Led Zeppelin 3
Pink Floyd 3
Queen 3
Creedence Clearwater Revival 2
Kansas 2
Lynyrd Skynyrd 2
Rolling Stones 2
The Who 2
Black Sabbath 1
Boston 1
Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band 1
Chuck Berry 1
Derek and the Dominoes 1
Don McLean 1
Eagles 1
Elton John 1
Jimi Hendrix 1
Metallica 1
Nirvana 1
Ozzy Osbourne* 1
Paul McCartney 1
Rush 1
The Guess Who 1
The Rolling Stones 1

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 11:02 AM
My rankings:

Top Four in Order

Rocket Man, Elton John
We Will Rock You, Queen
Hotel California, Eagles
American Woman, The Guess Who

The Rest in Order

Another Brick in the Wall, Pink Floyd
We Are the Champions, Queen
All Along the Watchtower, Jimi Hendrix
Paradise City, Guns N Roses
Master of Puppets, Metallica

patteeu
03-30-2011, 11:09 AM
#1 Metallica, Master of Puppets
#2 The Guess Who, American Woman
#3/#4 Suckage

It's not that I really think the rest of these songs suck, it's just that I don't want them to advance.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Metallic, Hendrix, The Guess Who, Pink Floyd. Not in that order, but those are my votes.

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 11:12 AM
#1 Metallica, Master of Puppets
#2 Guess Who, American Woman
#3/#4 Suckage

It's not that I really think the rest of these songs suck, it's just that I don't want them to advance.

Did you not see Rocket Man, or do you just not like metal?

patteeu
03-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Did you not see Rocket Man, or do you just not like metal?

LMAO That song is too judgmental for me. Who's to say that Mars isn't the place to raise your kids. As long as you don't let them hang out with the bad martians, I think they'll turn out OK.

Slainte
03-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Pink Floyd, Queen, Jimi Hendrix

Slainte
03-30-2011, 11:25 AM
LMAO That song is too judgmental for me. Who's to say that Mars isn't the place to raise your kids. As long as you don't let them hang out with the bad martians, I think they'll turn out OK.

And all this science I don’t understand/
It’s just my job five days a week

Proof positive that Elton John is a blue collar guy...

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Right now, Queen, Elton John, and Guns N Roses are suffering. You bunch of homophobes, you.

Chiefnj2
03-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Which songs could I listen to 3-4 times over the weekend on my ipod:

Hotel California - Nope. Guitar outro is too long. Verges on annoying the first time, let alone the 4th.

Paradise City - Good song. Solid, but can I vote for it when it isn't the best song on the album?

Another Brick - Cool song. When I was in 5th grade. Not close to being the best song on the album.

We will Rock You - Good, succinct, gets to the point, but automatically blends into We are the Champions. WATC - too repetitve, too bland.

American Woman - No complaints, but it doesn't blow me away.

All Along the Watchtower - Again, no complaints, but I might be a little less than impressed when compared to others.

Rocket Man - Excellent song.

Master of Puppets - the only Metallica song to make it this far? What? No For Whom The Bell Tolls? No Creeping Death, Fade To Black, Seek and Destroy?? They must represent.

1. Rocket Man
2. Master of Puppets
3. American Woman
4. Paradise City

patteeu
03-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Which songs could I listen to 3-4 times over the weekend on my ipod:

Hotel California - Nope. Guitar outro is too long. Verges on annoying the first time, let alone the 4th.

Paradise City - Good song. Solid, but can I vote for it when it isn't the best song on the album?

Another Brick - Cool song. When I was in 5th grade. Not close to being the best song on the album.

We will Rock You - Good, succinct, gets to the point, but automatically blends into We are the Champions. WATC - too repetitve, too bland.

American Woman - No complaints, but it doesn't blow me away.

All Along the Watchtower - Again, no complaints, but I might be a little less than impressed when compared to others.

Rocket Man - Excellent song.

Master of Puppets - the only Metallica song to make it this far? What? No For Whom The Bell Tolls? No Creeping Death, Fade To Black, Seek and Destroy?? They must represent.

1. Rocket Man
2. Master of Puppets
3. American Woman
4. Paradise City

If I had voted for 4, that's probably how my ballot would have looked (in a different order). Personally, I think Paradise City *is* the best song on that album.

DJ's left nut
03-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Ugh.

The song that should have an asterisk alongside it (Hotel) is going to continue forward in a competition it should've been ousted of the first round of. Still dunno why it was given a stay of execution (except for the fact that Rainman likes crappy music).

I don't even remember which 4 I voted for, but I made sure to vote for 4 to improve the chances of killing off the Eagles. Those guys suck.

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Ugh.

The song that should have an asterisk alongside it (Hotel) is going to continue forward in a competition it should've been ousted of the first round of. Still dunno why it was given a stay of execution (except for the fact that Rainman likes crappy music).

I don't even remember which 4 I voted for, but I made sure to vote for 4 to improve the chances of killing off the Eagles. Those guys suck.

Hey, hey, hey. I have NEVER said that I like Guns N Roses.

Hydrae
03-30-2011, 01:18 PM
I suspect having both Queen songs in this round has doomed them both.

Frazod
03-30-2011, 01:24 PM

IMO, they should count as one song. They're always played together.

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-30-2011, 01:29 PM

Right now they've got 16 votes a piece. I'm betting it's the same 16 people.

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 01:40 PM

If I was starting over, I'd be tempted to not put songs by the same artist in the same heat where possible, but that ship has already sailed.

On a different note, I just realized that Smoke on the Water was never nominated.

Phobia
03-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Right now they've got 16 votes a piece. I'm betting it's the same 16 people.

You would lose.

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Hotel Cali
Am. Woman
Rocket Man
Didnt read before I voted

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Ugh.

I don't even remember which 4 I voted for, but I made sure to vote for 4 to improve the chances of killing off the Eagles. Those guys suck.I hate these posts. Songs made it thru that I dont care for, and some missed the cut that I like. Everyones favorites cannot all make it thru.

You hating the Eagles is ridiculous, IMO Its baseless.

Rasputin
03-30-2011, 02:00 PM
If I was starting over, I'd be tempted to not put songs by the same artist in the same heat where possible, but that ship has already sailed.

On a different note, I just realized that Smoke on the Water was never nominated.

--

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n10E3XwV5kA&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n10E3XwV5kA&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

1683 guitars play Smoke on the Water in KC, world record. KC ROCKS..

RNR
03-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Should have read first, only voted for 3
Hotel
Rocket Man
Brick...although it is far from my favorite Pink Floyd song. Also to the poster who said the Eagles suck LMAO that is just stupid~

AustinChief
03-30-2011, 03:09 PM
If crappy ass paradise city beats American Woman there WILL be some serious bannings going on! :D

Predarat
03-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Its getting tougher and tougher to choose them, its nice to have the 4th vote.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/612F8TyHVZL._SL500_.jpg

Chiefnj2
03-30-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm really surprised Another Brick part deux is leading.

KurtCobain
03-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Ugh.

You're just a sick fucked up person.

Ebolapox
03-30-2011, 03:42 PM
are we seriously going to keep hotel fucking california going? don fucking HENLEY is sick of hotel california.

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2011, 03:54 PM
are we seriously going to keep hotel fucking california going? don fucking HENLEY is sick of hotel california.Yep. Just to piss off the haters. :thumb:

KurtCobain
03-30-2011, 03:54 PM
are we seriously going to keep hotel fucking california going? don fucking HENLEY is sick of hotel california.

But it's there and it likes it. You can listen anytime you like, and then you can listen later and blow your brains out.

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 04:56 PM

It's a federal crime to kill eagles.

Crush
03-30-2011, 05:02 PM
I too hate the fucking Eagles.

Bugeater
03-30-2011, 05:08 PM
You could say that about the better part of this list. I'm gonna go Metallica and Hendrix simply because every other song in this round is way, way played out.

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 05:29 PM
I sure hope American Woman hangs on against Paradise City. Right now Paradise City is closing the gap.

AustinChief
03-30-2011, 05:32 PM
I sure hope American Woman hangs on against Paradise City. Right now Paradise City is closing the gap.

Don't worry, I'm going to search for anyone who nominated it and/or promoted it and BAN them if American Woman does lose :)

Rain Man
03-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Don't worry, I'm going to search for anyone who nominated it and/or promoted it and BAN them if American Woman does lose :)

Good work, my friend.

Heat 4 is a juggernaut, by the way. In another random heat construction, I could see Heat 4 being a championship round. It's amazing. 8 of the 9 songs would be my top song in Heat 2.

Chiefburger
03-30-2011, 05:57 PM
If we're choosing favorites, and not the greatest, how is Another Brick winning? I know it's got a memorable refrain but how can someone find a song that is half sung by a children choir as fun? Frankly, the song is kinda disturbing and so is this support, you crazy music loving audiophiles.

American Woman, Rocket Man, All Along the Watchtower.

Psyko Tek
03-30-2011, 06:07 PM
this is looking like we get a bunch of ballads that are now played on easy listening station and in elevators

rock and roll???

Rasputin
03-30-2011, 06:14 PM

:huh: :harumph:

Rasputin
03-30-2011, 10:32 PM

Doesn't look like Paradise City is to move on (damn) I may be safe...

Rain Man
03-31-2011, 10:49 AM
In the words of the immortal Bruce Springsteen, this poll is going "down down down, it's going down down down".

Moving on to the elite Round 4 are:

Hotel California
Another Brick in the Wall
American Woman
All Along the Watchtower

Goodbye, Rocket Man. And I think it's gonna be a long, long time ...

Rausch
03-31-2011, 11:06 AM
In the words of the immortal Bruce Springsteen....

"I'm the boss.

Of what.......I'm not sure."

shirtsleeve
03-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Metallica
Floyd
G&R
eagles

Rasputin
03-31-2011, 01:49 PM
In the words of the immortal Bruce Springsteen, this poll is going "down down down, it's going down down down".

Moving on to the elite Round 4 are:

Hotel California
Another Brick in the Wall
American Woman
All Along the Watchtower

Goodbye, Rocket Man. And I think it's gonna be a long, long time ...

What? American Woman got 51 votes, Paradise City got 53 votes. This aint right.

KurtCobain
03-31-2011, 01:54 PM

That's what I'm seeing.

Rain Man
03-31-2011, 02:01 PM

Uh-oh. Did I mess that up? I remember that Paradise City was ahead.

So no American Woman, yes Paradise City, and my apologies to Axl Rose.

cdcox
03-31-2011, 02:03 PM

American Woman must have hypnotized you with her colored lights.

Rain Man
03-31-2011, 02:06 PM
American Woman must have hypnotized you with her colored lights.

Had to be it. Now I have to disqualify the song. So American Woman, get away from me.

AustinChief
03-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Had to be it. Now I have to disqualify the song. So American Woman, get away from me.

The BAN HAMMER WILL BE COMING!!!!

Rain Man
03-31-2011, 02:18 PM

(Pointing at KC Tattoo) He started it.

Rasputin
03-31-2011, 02:19 PM

Thanks Rain Man, i thought it was going to be the next great Rock and Roll swindle! Friggin in the Riggin

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hV0pQN2wrYM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hV0pQN2wrYM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Rasputin
03-31-2011, 02:20 PM

Oh sh!t :doh!: