PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Warren Moon plays race card for Cam Newton

Mr. Laz
03-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Warren Moon defends Cam Newton

<cite class="source"> ESPN.com news services
</cite>
http://a.espncdn.com/media/motion/2011/0330/dm_110330_nfl_hermedwards_camnewton.jpg
Newton's Character Questions

Warren Moon (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=7), the first African-American quarterback to be elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, told CBSSports.com that he believes some of the criticism of Auburn quarterback Cam Newton (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27308/cam-newton) is based in racism.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6277093&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_6277093

OnTheWarpath15
03-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Whatever respect I had for Warren Moon just vanished.

What an idiot.

No, Warren, Sam Bradford wasn't this heavily scrutinized.

Then again, Sam Bradford wasn't part of a pay-for-play scheme, nor did he steal a laptop.

Phobia
03-31-2011, 01:30 PM

You had respect for Warren Moon? Why? He's a pig.

AndChiefs
03-31-2011, 01:30 PM
I still like Warren because he's the only hall of fame QB I've ever had a conversation with and he was very nice. But what a dumb comment.

OnTheWarpath15
03-31-2011, 01:31 PM
You had respect for Warren Moon? Why? He's a pig.

Very little.

None, now.

Phobia
03-31-2011, 01:35 PM
I still like Warren because he's the only hall of fame QB I've ever had a conversation with and he was very nice. But what a dumb comment.

You must have great tits.

AndChiefs
03-31-2011, 01:36 PM

Heh. Maybe he just realized how awesome I am.

blaise
03-31-2011, 01:40 PM
"I don't see any of the other QBs being looked at this way." Yeah, I can't believe there's no scrutiny on all the other Heisman Tropy winning, National Championship winning QBs who have been in the news because of purchasing stolen laptops and having their fathers accept bribes to try and steer their son's toward a college.

DJ's left nut
03-31-2011, 01:45 PM
I believe there might be a little bit of a racial component to it.

I mean let's face it - Newton, from a character standpoint, is essentially no better or worse than Ryan Mallet. Mallet is, by all accounts, the same phony shitheel that Newton is. He's also been a career malcontent and has some seriously nasty drug rumors following him around.

Yet the attacks on him aren't quite as aggressive or personal. Sure, they're present, but the folks that call out Newton are flat out hostie. Maybe the fact that the folks that laud him sing his praises so loudly, thus leading his detractors to believe they have to be equally over the top in their criticism - but that's a little naive to take at face value.

I don't think either one of them will be worth a damn myself, but I do believe there is at least a little bit of a racial undertone to the vitriolic nature of the criticisms of Newton.

Lbedrock1
03-31-2011, 01:56 PM

What an idiot.

No, Warren, Sam Bradford wasn't this heavily scrutinized.

Then again, Sam Bradford wasn't part of a pay-for-play scheme, nor did he steal a laptop.

this is why we can't have a honest discussion about race, to many people want to turna blind eye to and act as if it doesnt exist. Well people it exist and is alive and well. There is still this belief amongst some of the NFL owners that a white QB is better to lead the team because they are smarter and better leaders. Many black qbs coming out of college to the nfl have been redirected to other positions. Why is that? Some actually maybe because of racist thoughts.

Deberg_1990
03-31-2011, 01:57 PM

Im sure there probably is a little bit, but not a whole lot. Some talent evaluators might not even be aware they are doing it.

Of course Moon is going to think that considering the era when he came out and was discreminated against.

Chiefs Rool
03-31-2011, 01:59 PM
this is why we can't have a honest discussion about race, to many people want to turna blind eye to and act as if it doesnt exist. Well people it exist and is alive and well. There is still this belief amongst some of the NFL owners that a white QB is better to lead the team because they are smarter and better leaders. Many black qbs coming out of college to the nfl have been redirected to other positions. Why is that? Some actually maybe because of racist thoughts.

I took some easy sports class in college and the professor said that there always has been "perhaps unintentional" racism in sports. Players that typically play in the middle of the group would be white (like quarterback, centers, pitchers, middle linebacker) and players on the outside were typically black (wide receivers, outfielders, cornerbacks, etc)q

It seemed to make sense at the time, but it doesn't seem that way anymore and he could have just been full of shit too.

whoman69
03-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Sounds like from recent news the pay for play scheme is more pronounced than most think. If you think that Newton had no idea his dad put him up for sale, you're even more naive. The NCAA has been pretty dictatorial about their rules. Even so their control is slipping away.

Chief Faithful
03-31-2011, 02:00 PM

What Warren Moon is doing is not an "honest discussion" about race. The NFL is not a segregated league it has long since gotten past race and is strictly about performance. If Cam Netwon is better he will get his opportunity and money if not, he will not last.

Deberg_1990

There might be some of that, but its not widespread. I dont believe it. Not in the era when Micheal Vick went #1 overall and McNabb was top 5.

Guys like Pat White went low because they suck for the Pro Game.

Brock

Right, because Tommy Frazier, Antwaan Randl El and Brad Smith would have made great NFL QBs.

Chiefs Rool
03-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Right, because Tommy Frazier, Antwaan Randl El and Brad Smith would have made great NFL QBs.

don't forget Michael Bishop and Casey Printers :thumb:

Just Passin' By
03-31-2011, 02:05 PM

Qbs getting moved is about skill set. It happens with the "athletic" QBs, and it's not just the black QBs, to which Julian Edelman can attest.

Chiefs Rool
03-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Qbs getting moved is about skill set. It happens with the "athletic" QBs, and it's not just the black QBs, to which Julian Edelman can attest.

and Matt Jones and that Nebraska QB who's name has escaped me. They wanted to make him a safety and he threw a fit about it. God damnit, what's his name, he won the heisman.

Brock
03-31-2011, 02:13 PM
scott frost, well actually another one was crouch.

Just Passin' By
03-31-2011, 02:15 PM
and Matt Jones and that Nebraska QB who's name has escaped me. They wanted to make him a safety and he threw a fit about it. God damnit, what's his name, he won the heisman.

Eric Crouch. Scott Frost would be another example.

Rain Man
I'd give Warren Moon a pass for seeing racism in something like this because Warren Moon experienced racism in an identical situation. Whether it's true or not here, I can certainly understand how he'd see it, and he probably has a better perspective than any of us.

That said, if you're a top-ten draft pick and you've got more than one bad line in your biography, you're going to get picked apart whether you're black, white, or Malagasy.

Chiefs Rool
Eric Crouch. Scott Frost would be another example.

thanks!

ModSocks
03-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Maybe the fact that the folks that laud him sing his praises so loudly, thus leading his detractors to believe they have to be equally over the top in their criticism

Bingo. Mallet doesn't take as much heat because there is no debate that he's a shit bag. Newton on the other hand swears up and down he's a choir boy and has many people backing him up.

There is no controversy with Mallet. With Newton there is TONS of controversy because no one has a real good grasp on what he is. Therefore, he gets all the attention.

blaise
03-31-2011, 02:19 PM
I believe some people might be doing it because of race, but Moon's comments, to me, look like he's saying it's obviously about race and there's no red flags. He's not saying, "Hey, some of this might be race based." Seems to me he's more saying, "This is racism. Cam's great."

Phobia
03-31-2011, 02:19 PM
I'd give Warren Moon a pass for seeing racism in something like this because Warren Moon experienced racism in an identical situation. Whether it's true or not here, I can certainly understand how he'd see it, and he probably has a better perspective than any of us.

That said, if you're a top-ten draft pick and you've got more than one bad line in your biography, you're going to get picked apart whether you're black, white, or Malagasy.

2-3 decades ago, yes.

Mr. Laz
03-31-2011, 02:33 PM

I mean let's face it - Newton, from a character standpoint, is essentially no better or worse than Ryan Mallet. Mallet is, by all accounts, the same phony shitheel that Newton is. He's also been a career malcontent and has some seriously nasty drug rumors following him around.

Yet the attacks on him aren't quite as aggressive or personal. Sure, they're present, but the folks that call out Newton are flat out hostie. Maybe the fact that the folks that laud him sing his praises so loudly, thus leading his detractors to believe they have to be equally over the top in their criticism - but that's a little naive to take at face value.

I don't think either one of them will be worth a damn myself, but I do believe there is at least a little bit of a racial undertone to the vitriolic nature of the criticisms of Newton.Mallet's stock is dropping like a rock because of character issues.

dam scouts hate white QB's :cuss:

ClevelandBronco
03-31-2011, 04:12 PM
So the NFL is just another way to keep the black man down? Sure. I'll buy it.

Gonzo
03-31-2011, 04:18 PM
So the NFL is just another way to keep the black man down? Sure. I'll buy it.
Well, yeah. You do know that the NFL is comparable to slavery, right?
Posted via Mobile Device

OnTheWarpath15
03-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Well, yeah. You do know that the NFL is comparable to slavery, right?
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO

chefsos
03-31-2011, 04:57 PM
Newton was undoubtedly the most talked about and glorified player in the game last year, too. I guess that was racist as well. What say you, Warren?

CoMoChief
03-31-2011, 05:02 PM
heh, when all else fails, play the race card.

fuckin morons.....

WV
03-31-2011, 05:22 PM
Doesn't he have a woman to beat up?

Predarat
03-31-2011, 05:32 PM
Moon is still bitter about losing to evil whitey QBs in playoff games.

RealSNR
03-31-2011, 05:51 PM

I don't think either one of them will be worth a damn myself, but I do believe there is at least a little bit of a racial undertone to the vitriolic nature of the criticisms of Newton.It's "hidden" racism, in my opinion. Just people being lazy.

Example: You hear questions posted to experts about Newton and they always ask about his bust status. Two months ago Kiper was on NFL Live and he answered an e-mail which asked, "Do you believe Cam Newton could be a bust in the form of Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, or Akili Smith?"

Uhh... excuse me? I'm sure the guy who wrote that e-mail isn't a racist, but he clearly wasn't thinking with his head when he threw out names of bust QBs.

beach tribe
03-31-2011, 06:01 PM

Or because they suck, or would be better at other positions.

Predarat
03-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Alot of slacking tonight hahaha.

http://obamaisabitch.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/thats-racist.gif

OnTheWarpath15
03-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Alot of slacking tonight hahaha.

http://obamaisabitch.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/thats-racist.gif

The floating bucket of KFC in that .gif always cracks me up.

KCBOSS1
03-31-2011, 08:04 PM
this kinda crap gets so old.

ChiefsOne
03-31-2011, 08:19 PM

For sure! Everyone that tried talking to him at training camp were shut down by him. He was quite the ass and I completely lost any fandom I had for him way back then. This stupid shit he is spouting just put the nail in the coffin!

Bump
03-31-2011, 08:32 PM
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/gifs/rnaDo.gif

Bugeater
03-31-2011, 08:37 PM
The floating bucket of KFC in that .gif always cracks me up.
The bone in the hair is a nice touch as well.

chiefzilla1501
03-31-2011, 09:43 PM

I don't think either one of them will be worth a damn myself, but I do believe there is at least a little bit of a racial undertone to the vitriolic nature of the criticisms of Newton.

The attacks aren't as personal because...
1) Ryan Mallett didn't get away with murder and walk away with the Heisman trophy
2) Ryan Mallett's draft stock is probably 1-2 rounds below Cam's.

I hate Cam Newton. And not because he's black. Because he's a douche bag greedball who got away with cheating in college because the NCAA was worried that suspending him, God forbid, would make the championship game less compelling. I wish really bad things for him, but if Reggie Bush and Pete Carroll are any indication, he'll probably get drafted to a huge contract and win a Super Bowl.

A cheater is a cheater, regardless of race.

big nasty kcnut
04-01-2011, 04:42 AM
I don't care if your white black pink or red. You cheated you should get all hell that part of it.

notorious
04-01-2011, 05:38 AM
It's "hidden" racism, in my opinion. Just people being lazy.

Example: You hear questions posted to experts about Newton and they always ask about his bust status. Two months ago Kiper was on NFL Live and he answered an e-mail which asked, "Do you believe Cam Newton could be a bust in the form of Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, or Akili Smith?"

Uhh... excuse me? I'm sure the guy who wrote that e-mail isn't a racist, but he clearly wasn't thinking with his head when he threw out names of bust QBs.

This.

The comparisons the "Experts" make between QB's are very race driven instead of skill base driven. They don't have bad intentions, it's just the way they are programmed.

As for the Cam's critisicm about his character, well, he can thank his father for that. That is definately NOT race driven.

milkman
04-01-2011, 05:57 AM
This.

The comparisons the "Experts" make between QB's are very race driven instead of skill base driven. They don't have bad intentions, it's just the way they are programmed.

As for the Cam's critisicm about his character, well, he can thank his father for that. That is definately NOT race driven.

He can thank his father for that?

Are you suggesting that Cam Newton was completely unaware of his father's actions?

Do you also believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth fairy?

raybec 4
04-01-2011, 06:23 AM

Ask one of his ex-wives if he was nice while he was beating the shit out of her

notorious
04-01-2011, 07:14 AM
He can thank his father for that?

Are you suggesting that Cam Newton was completely unaware of his father's actions?

Do you also believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth fairy?

Of course I think he knew. I am and idiot, but even an idiot wouldn't believe he is innocent in all of this shit.

RNR
04-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Lame ass bullshit. I am sick and tired of the racism crutch~

Bane
04-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Of course its racism.The main guys in the NFL are called "OWNERS".Duh!!!Stay down bitches!
Posted via Mobile Device