PDA

View Full Version : Life Watch out if you own a company.

Rain Man
04-03-2011, 10:23 PM
In Colorado, some thieves have been mailing out very official-looking fake letters citing that business owners owe a $225 fee. I got one this weekend, and even though I knew such a fee has never been required it was very confusing and I was going to call on Monday to figure it out. It looks very real.

Apparently it's now becoming obvious that the thieves are doing this to large numbers of businesses. I don't know if it's just a Colorado thing right now, but I figure they'll be attacking other states in the future if they're not caught.

I really hope that the people who did this die upside down in a flaming sinkhole. Some people don't deserve to exist in society.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article/191359/222/State-warns-of-potentially-misleading-letters

DENVER - At first glace, the letter looks like an official state document. It has a seal, cites the Colorado Revised Statues, and uses attention-grabbing language telling small business owners they're at risk of becoming "noncompliant" or "delinquent."

The letter urges small business owners to fill out an enclosed form and send a check for $225 to file a periodic report with the Colorado Secretary of State's Office, which is required by law.

Business owners may be compelled to quickly send a check. But if they read the fine print, they'll see this official-looking letter isn't from the Colorado Secretary of State's Office. It's not even from a company in Colorado.

The letter is from Nevada-based "Corporate Controllers Unit, LLC." And what do small business owners get for that $225? Something they can do themselves online for ten bucks.

"Small business has it hard enough without predators like this trying to scam us," said Daniel Boyd, one of at least 30 business owners who called and emailed 9NEWS over the weekend.

"I don't see where this company provides any service," Boyd said.

"Corporate Controllers Unit, LLC" did not have a phone number listed on their website or in company paperwork filed with the Colorado Secretary of State's office.
9NEWS emailed the company through their website Sunday afternoon requesting comment. We had not received a response as of Sunday evening.

The company website did feature five testimonials, supposedly from satisfied customers.

The "Ripoff Report" website listed nine complaints against "Corporate Controllers, LLC" as of Sunday evening. All of those complaints were posted over the weekend.

9NEWS began receiving a flood of newstips about the letter from "Corporate Controllers Unit, LLC" on Saturday.

"If I hadn't read this thoroughly, I might have sent the fee, which I can't afford," said Dana Rock.

"It almost had me fooled," said Robin Zietz. "My concern is that other small business owners will be fooled into thinking this is a legitimate government letter and send the money."

"Unfortunately, these misleading statements are not new," said Rich Coolidge, Communications Director for the Colorado Secretary of State's Office.

"It's important for your viewers to know that they can file on our web site for $10 to file their annual report," Coolidge said. "They can contact our business division or review their record on our business database."

The Colorado Secretary of State's Office put out an alert about potentially deceptive or misleading solicitations in 2008.
According to the alert, these solicitations tend to share common elements and may contain one or more of the following characteristics:
• Appear similar to a government form;
• Contain an official-looking seal;
• Refer to a statute or quote other Acts or laws;
• Imply that failing to return the form and pay a fee may place your company in jeopardy, may "pierce the corporate veil," or might cause your company's filings with the state to be in a noncompliant status;
• Contain a "Corp Number" or "Corporate Identification Number" that does not match a number given to your entity by a State or Federal Agency.
Businesses who receive these letters are urged to email the Colorado Secretary of State's Office: sos.business@sos.state.co.us or call 303-894-2200 and select option 2.
The Business Division may request a copy of the notice, which can be faxed to 303-869-4864.
The Secretary of State's Office advises business owners to keep the original notice, mailing envelope and return envelope for their records.
"I only wonder how many small business owners who are already struggling to survive didn't read the entire document and forked over $225 to this scammer," said Stephen Wiggs.

"I'm afraid that many people will not read the fine print and blindly send in their $225 check to these scam-artists," added Cindy Schuler.

"It's tough enough for small businesses these days in current economic conditions," said Michael Beach. "(This) could make it even worse."

LiveSteam
04-03-2011, 10:30 PM
I have had several letters similar to this when I was still incorporated. They came from the same person or people . Saying I owed money to the Nebraska construction business association.
shit went straight into the wood burner

ClevelandBronco
04-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Son of a gun. Your post reminded me of three letters I'd thrown in the trash can unopened Saturday. Sure enough, they're from Corporate Controllers Unit.

Rain Man
04-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Son of a gun. Your post reminded me of three letters I'd thrown in the trash can unopened Saturday. Sure enough, they're from Corporate Controllers Unit.

What made you not open them? They looked official enough to me that I opened the envelopes. I knew that such a fee had never been required, but it was still written in such a manner that I figured it might be a new fee or something.

ClevelandBronco
04-03-2011, 10:36 PM
They say very clearly, "This product or service has not been approved by any Government Agency and this offer is not being made by an agency of the Government. U.S/C. 39.6.3001(d). This is a solicitation for the order of services, and not a bill, invoice or statement of account due. You are under no obligation to make any payments on account of this offer."

And contrary to what 9NEWS says, the letter bears no seal.

To me, it looks like a slimy offer from a slimy company, not anything official.

ClevelandBronco
04-03-2011, 10:37 PM
What made you not open them? They looked official enough to me that I opened the envelopes. I knew that such a fee had never been required, but it was still written in such a manner that I figured it might be a new fee or something.

I've never heard of the company on the envelope, so I chucked them.

ClevelandBronco
04-03-2011, 10:39 PM
I see now that on the envelope it comes in it says "THIS IS NOT A GOVERNMENT DOCUMENT."

LiveSteam
04-03-2011, 10:39 PM
I've never heard of the company on the envelope, so I chucked them.

This is a very good practice to follow IMO. If its important they will have someone call you after attempts by mail have failed.

Bugeater
04-03-2011, 10:44 PM
I usually throw away everything and also ignore the phone calls.

ClevelandBronco
04-03-2011, 10:49 PM
I usually throw away everything and also ignore the phone calls.

That's good. I'd also recommend firing a warning shot when anyone knocks on the door.

Rain Man
04-03-2011, 10:51 PM
I see now that on the envelope it comes in it says "THIS IS NOT A GOVERNMENT DOCUMENT."

Oh, does it say that? I must've missed that part.

We get those fake bills from fake Yellow Pages companies frequently, but I've never gotten this one. For some reason it fooled me other than not being sure why we were being billed. After my wife saw on Facebook that it was a scam I read it again and it's got that disclaimer down at the bottom, but it's obviously intended to rip people off. People are really scummy. Not people like you and me, but those other people.

ClevelandBronco
04-03-2011, 10:56 PM

We get those fake bills from fake Yellow Pages companies frequently, but I've never gotten this one. For some reason it fooled me other than not being sure why we were being billed. After my wife saw on Facebook that it was a scam I read it again and it's got that disclaimer down at the bottom, but it's obviously intended to rip people off. People are really scummy. Not people like you and me, but those other people.

Actually, I'm a little disappointed that I didn't come up with the idea, so maybe it's just you that isn't really scummy.

Phobia
04-03-2011, 10:56 PM
I get phone calls like that all the time. Implies he's from the state and that I'm non-compliant. I give him about 20 seconds.

scorpio
04-03-2011, 11:16 PM

You sure run a tight ship.

Rain Man
04-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Actually, I'm a little disappointed that I didn't come up with the idea, so maybe it's just you that isn't really scummy.

Since this idea is already claimed, maybe you could try a different twist. Like maybe state in the letter that you've kidnapped the business owner's daughter and will begin torturing her if you don't get the $225.

Rain Man
04-03-2011, 11:17 PM
You sure run a tight ship.

Honestly, my literacy level is quite low. That's why I have people to do this kind of thing.

ClevelandBronco
04-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Since this idea is already claimed, maybe you could try a different twist. Like maybe state in the letter that you've kidnapped the business owner's daughter and will begin torturing her if you don't get the $225.

Problem is, I'd have to really kidnap and torture all those daughters if I didn't want to get in trouble for mail fraud. I'd need a really large soundproof warehouse, places to bury chunks of their bodies...

ClevelandBronco
04-03-2011, 11:23 PM
I'm baking my own French bread these days and I just got two loaves out of the oven. I'm never buying French bread again.

It's a bit off topic, but I didn't want to start a whole thread.

What torture methods could I use that involve French bread?

Just Passin' By
04-03-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm baking my own French bread these days and I just got two loaves out of the oven. I'm never buying French bread again.

The post also goes well with the idea of chunks of human flesh. It seems that you've got a disposal system all ready to go. Long pig on homemade french bread, and the family will never have to go hungry.

WV
04-04-2011, 12:04 AM

Not sure about torture methods, but you can make some real $$ selling them abroad as helmets!

Bump
04-04-2011, 12:08 AM
too bad they don't end up sending it to someone like the Unabomber .

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-04-2011, 12:41 AM
I hope they'll accept pig cum as payment.

TinyEvel
04-04-2011, 01:36 AM
Rainman, I can stop these creditors from sending you annoying letters if you just send $175 to my address I will DM you the details.

JD10367
04-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Honestly, my literacy level is quite low. That's why I have people to do this kind of thing.

So you can't read, are easily scammable, and are too dumb to figure out who's hiding in your house. Dude! Are you sure you're not a Broncos fan?!? ;)

Nzoner
04-04-2011, 08:21 AM
If focking losers would spend the energy they do on trying to rip people off on something productive for society it's no telling how great this country would be.

Phobia
04-04-2011, 08:33 AM
This is easily solved by not paying your company bills. Rainman, I'd like to have a couple of studies done. Call me.

Simplex3
04-04-2011, 09:11 AM
I've never gotten anything where they claim to be a government agency, but I get 3 or 4 a year from domain registrars trying to make me think my domains are expiring and if I just fill out their form and pay the 5x the going rate they'll take care of it.

DJ's left nut
04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
There are companies that do that with student loans as well.

They'll charge you like $200 to 'fill out your FAFSA"...then have you fill in the same blanks that you'd have filled in online via the gov't website.

They literally do nothing but direct uplink to the same website you could access via google. And a good percentage of the time, they don't even bother doing that, they just take the money and you end up having to go fill out the FAFSA yourself.

At this point, anytime someone requests money from you, research the hell out of it because most of them are crooks.

Brock
04-04-2011, 09:22 AM
If you're dumb enough to pay it, you're not smart enough to own a business to begin with.

Demonpenz
04-04-2011, 10:21 AM
watch out for those bell ringers around christmas time