PDA

View Full Version : Life Fathers, ? regarding the naming of your first son.

El Jefe
04-05-2011, 11:51 AM
I was just curious to see how many fathers made their sons a Junior? My dad said he did not want to saddle my brother with living up to expectations, so he did not. Is it common anymore to name your first son a Jr?

*In b4 some dumb spinoff joke of what I asked.

teedubya
04-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Naming a kid Jr. is ego-driven, IMO.

Phobia
Thanks jerk.

Regards,

Father of all girls

MOhillbilly
my dad was a JR cause they thought grandpa was gonna get killed in the war.

only reason

DTLB58
04-05-2011, 11:56 AM
My first born son has my same middle name. That's about as far as it goes.

I voted no, but I think it's old fashion also.

Discuss Thrower
04-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Trend on two sides of my family is to have the same first name as the father, but go by either middle name or nickname.

Okie_Apparition
04-05-2011, 11:57 AM
They use to give the oldest son his father's name so they didn't have to transfer land, sort of a will. I'd imagine lawyers nixed that LOL

Phobia
04-05-2011, 11:59 AM
They use to give the oldest son his father's name so they didn't have to transfer land, sort of a will. I'd imagine lawyers nixed that LOL

Lamar Jr. kinda screwed all that up.

Vegas_Dave
04-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks jerk.

Regards,

Father of all girls

LMAO - the grass is always greener... I have 3 boys and a 4th boy due in about 4 weeks (down the family line, mine are boys #9-12 straight).

JohninGpt
04-05-2011, 12:01 PM

I agree. I named mine after my dad (first name) and my wife's late brother (middle name).

blaise
04-05-2011, 12:03 PM
I didn't. If it had been like three or four generations I might have. I just didn't want to end up having two sons and having one be Jr and the other not. I don't know. Not that there's anything wrong with going the Jr. route.

SLAG
04-05-2011, 12:04 PM
My oldest son's middle name is my firstname

Frosty
04-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Trend on two sides of my family is to have the same first name as the father, but go by either middle name or nickname.

This is how my family is, too. My grandpa, dad, myself and my oldest son all have the same first name but only my grandpa goes by it (though my dad did go by his first name professionally). My other son got my middle name as his middle name.

Rain Man
04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Aren't there statistics that show that Juniors are disproportionately more likely to end up in prison?

ClevelandBronco
04-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Aren't there statistics that show that Juniors are disproportionately more likely to end up in prison?

And guys that go by three names are disproportionately more likely to become assassins.

_____

I'm the Jr. My son is III.

Stinger
04-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Son's middle name is his grandfathers (my Dad) first name. Did it in honor to him.

Rain Man
04-05-2011, 12:12 PM
And guys that go by three names are disproportionately more likely to become assassins.

My gosh. Cleve Land Bronco is right.

El Jefe
04-05-2011, 12:13 PM

See I am kind of torn on this issue, I would like to name my first son (albeit hopefully lol) a junior, and not for any ego-driven reasons.

Deberg_1990
04-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Im thinking the Jr. thing was more common in past generations.....this generation, not so much...

So no, i didnt do the Jr. thing with my son nor give it much thought.

El Jefe
04-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Im thinking the Jr. thing was more common in past generations.....this generation, not so much...

So no, i didnt do the Jr. thing with my son nor give it much thought.

My brother has my fathers first name, grandfathers middle name, and I have my fathers Initials and that's it. I honestly don't mind that way either.

Buck
04-05-2011, 12:17 PM
I have the same name as my dad, so does my friend.

Don't do it. When they get older they mix you up and its impossible to do a change of address without getting both of your mail sent to the same place. Also billing issues come up all the time.

siberian khatru
04-05-2011, 12:17 PM
I named my first son after Nolan Ryan and George Brett. But only after my wife nixed "Amos Otis," which would've been neat because his initials would've been AOK.

True story.

Stinger
04-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Your friend has the same name as you and your dad ..... odd.

ChiTown
04-05-2011, 12:18 PM
My oldest Son's middle name is my wifes Maiden Name.

Buck
04-05-2011, 12:19 PM
My dad wrote ZimbatbootyD on my birth certificate as a joke and that was almost my name.

Buck
04-05-2011, 12:19 PM

You know what I mean.

El Jefe
04-05-2011, 12:21 PM
My oldest Son's middle name is my wifes Maiden Name.

Interesting, may I know the name? If I had this applied to me it would be hilarious.

Omaha
04-05-2011, 12:21 PM
My dad gave all of his boys his middle name. My brothers & I continued the tradition. I've always thought that was a great idea.

Mr. Plow
04-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Did not make any of mine a junior, but we gave each child a middle name after someone in the family.

durtyrute
04-05-2011, 12:24 PM
That's a tough one because I'm the third with my name. So, do I keep it going or start a new one. We don't have a boy and might be done with kids so it doesn't matter, but I still wonder. No help from me sorry

Rooster
04-05-2011, 12:25 PM
George Foreman had the best idea for naming children. Although, he did get hit in the head a lot.

trndobrd
04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Back in the old days, they didn't have as many names as we do in modern times, plus they had larger families, so they had to reuse the few names they had.

Amnorix
My college roommate was a junior. His father's business went defunct and he had creditors chasing him and because of the name confusion, they were chasing the son also (i.e. my roommate). It also screwed with his college loan applications, etc. Basically, it was a really giant clusterf**k.

For that reason alone, I'd stay away from it.

Reminds me of that scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding when the Dad is introducing the boyfriend to the extended family. "Nick, Nick, Nick, Nikki, Nicolas and Nick.

Amnorix
That's a tough one because I'm the third with my name. So, do I keep it going or start a new one. We don't have a boy and might be done with kids so it doesn't matter, but I still wonder. No help from me sorry

That's the other issue. Being a "Third" isn't too bad, but by the time you get to IV, you're either real royalty or starting to sound pretty pretentious...

Hydrae
04-05-2011, 12:28 PM
My name is Kevin and I did NOT want a junior. My oldest (current marriage, first born in first marriage is nowhere close to a junior in name) is Kellen. This is close enough that the wife was satisfied but most of the time I can tell who is being hollered for which was my main reason not to have a junior.

JohninGpt
04-05-2011, 12:34 PM

Because a man should have juniors with as many women as possible.

DaKCMan AP
04-05-2011, 12:36 PM
My people don't name children after living relatives.

DaFace
04-05-2011, 12:37 PM

_____

I'm the Jr. My son is III.

I do think the III, IV, etc. thing is kind of cool if it's something that's been done for generations in a family. Otherwise, the Jr. thing is outdated IMO.

ModSocks
04-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Im a junior. But because my mother did it, not my father. And I dont now if I technically count as a junior since my father's name is a shortened version of my grandfather's name...and im actually named after my grandfather.

The Franchise
04-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks jerk.

Regards,

Father of all girls

This.

Omaha
04-05-2011, 01:15 PM
My college roommate was a junior. His father's business went defunct and he had creditors chasing him and because of the name confusion, they were chasing the son also (i.e. my roommate). It also screwed with his college loan applications, etc. Basically, it was a really giant clusterf**k.

For that reason alone, I'd stay away from it.

Reminds me of that scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding when the Dad is introducing the boyfriend to the extended family. "Nick, Nick, Nick, Nikki, Nicolas and Nick.

Here's another example of how I'm the Bizzarro Amonorix:

I don't go around quoting chick flicks!

rageeumr
04-05-2011, 01:19 PM
I am the 6th straight generation of first-born sons to have the same first name (Robert), so I think I would have been excommunicated from the family if I didn't follow suit. So my son is #7.

But we all have different middle names, so I'm not sure how to vote. I suppose I'll abstain.

Hammock Parties
04-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks jerk.

Regards,

Father of all girls

YOUR LINE HAS ENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ClevelandBronco
04-05-2011, 01:33 PM
I do think the III, IV, etc. thing is kind of cool if it's something that's been done for generations in a family. Otherwise, the Jr. thing is outdated IMO.

I'd never really thought about it being outdated, but I'm seeing that a lot of people here think of it that way. I wonder if it has anything to do with fathers not being as, y'know, permanent — for lack of a better word — as they were in the past. Lots and lots of sons aren't really raised by their fathers anymore.

Iowanian
04-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Naming your child isn't a simple task or one to be taken lightly imo, but you're the only one to know what is right for your son.

I don't fancy myself important enough to saddle my kid with my name, but I did give my middle name as his. I would have probably named him after my grandfather as a sign of respect, had another family member not beaten me to the punch.

It almost pisses me off when I see people give their kids stupid names thinking it is funny.

seclark
04-05-2011, 01:42 PM
my oldest sons middle name is my name. his twin brother was not expected until he was born, so we kinda scrambled around for names, and his middle name is the same as my brothers middle name.

wife picked out our daughters name, and gave her middle name to her.

oldest grandaughter was named after me...i think that's cooler than any of my kids. yeah, little herbert is grampa's girl.
sec

Just Passin' By
04-05-2011, 01:46 PM
If your parents thought your name was good enough for you, and they weren't complete idiots passing on a ridiculous name, I see no reason why you shouldn't pass it on to your son.

Lzen
04-05-2011, 01:50 PM
My first born son has my same middle name. That's about as far as it goes.

I voted no, but I think it's old fashion also.

Same here.

Shaid
04-05-2011, 01:51 PM
In my family I have the same middle name as my father and my son has the same middle name as me. It's been that way for 6 generations.

Old Dog
04-05-2011, 01:59 PM
My son has the same first name as I do, but we go by different versions which I didn't think was all that uncommon: IE Steven/Steve, Robert/Bob, James/Jim, William/Bill, and so forth. We have different middle names though. My granson was given my fathers name as a middle name.

No "Jr", so the answer to the question asked would be "yes", but none of the polling options would actually fit.

kc rush
04-05-2011, 01:59 PM
I hate my name and would never saddle my kid with it.

My wife's maiden name is very similar to a fairly common first name, so we used that for his first name. His middle name was my grandfathers.

We wanted to carry on family names without going the Jr. route.

Amnorix
04-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Here's another example of how I'm the Bizzarro Amonorix:

I don't go around quoting chick flicks!

:shrug: I like chick flicks (at least the romantic comedy ones -- not the super-sappy cryfest ones), and musicals.

You like....welll.....little plastic dolls, apparently (see your avatar).

Stewie
04-05-2011, 02:11 PM
I come from a large family with no juniors. We do, however, mix great grandpas, grandpas and dads names for first and middle name. If they have a non-family first name they'll have a family name as a middle name.

Mr. Plow
04-05-2011, 02:15 PM
You could try naming him Dick Assman (your last name).

OmahaChief
04-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I am the 6th straight generation of first-born sons to have the same first name (Robert), so I think I would have been excommunicated from the family if I didn't follow suit. So my son is #7.

But we all have different middle names, so I'm not sure how to vote. I suppose I'll abstain.

Petty much the same thing for me.

I did not name my son the same as myself but we did keep a family tradition going which was very important to me. For nine generations now each of the men has the first name Orion. There is one Junior in that bloodline which is my grandpa but other than that we all have different middle names.

Bane
04-05-2011, 03:30 PM
No I didn't but I knew a kid in school named Stonewall Jackson Crippen.......The 4th.....Bwaa haaa haaaa!
Posted via Mobile Device

ROYC75
04-05-2011, 03:40 PM

Not true.

durtyrute
04-05-2011, 03:42 PM
That's the other issue. Being a "Third" isn't too bad, but by the time you get to IV, you're either real royalty or starting to sound pretty pretentious...

or George Foreman

ROYC75
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM

Don't do it. When they get older they mix you up and its impossible to do a change of address without getting both of your mail sent to the same place. Also billing issues come up all the time.

This is a problem.

KurtCobain
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm a Jr and I was thinking about naming my son after me and my dad(he'd be a third), but I didn't want to have to go by Joe or Joseph so he could be Joey. So I gave him Joseph as a middle name.

KurtCobain
04-05-2011, 03:46 PM
This is a problem.

It's not too much of a problem if you have a common name. Then you get your name mixed up with other people anyways.

teedubya
04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
My dad wrote ZimbatbootyD on my birth certificate as a joke and that was almost my name.

This should TOTALLY be your CP name. It owns. Embrace it.

ROYC75
04-05-2011, 04:00 PM
It's not too much of a problem if you have a common name. Then you get your name mixed up with other people anyways.

Well, Roy is pretty common. When my wife is pissed off and hollers at one of us, she doesn't use nick names anymore, we all 3 take off looking for the doors.

KurtCobain
04-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Well, Roy is pretty common. When my wife is pissed off and hollers at one of us, she doesn't use nick names anymore, we all 3 take off looking for the doors.

I was talking about mail.

ROYC75
04-05-2011, 04:11 PM
I was talking about mail.

I find myself always opening some of his ( III ) mail, vise versa.

Ralphy Boy
04-05-2011, 04:16 PM
I wanted to, the wife didn't. Named him after my grandfather instead. In hind sight, I'm glad it went down that way but I'd never admit it to the wife.
Its one thing to name your kid after a family member or someone you greatly admire, but naming them after yourself is like saying "look at me, I'm a huge egotistical prick!"

ChiefsCountry
04-05-2011, 04:20 PM
I think I'll try to pass the middle name on down the line. Its my middle name, but its my dad's and grandfathers first name, even though my dad goes by his middle.

KurtCobain
04-05-2011, 04:22 PM
I find myself always opening some of his ( III ) mail, vise versa.

Yeah that would be a pain. What I was saying was having a common name(last) you get other mail anyways, and it's not that big of a difference. I get tons of other people's mail with the same name as mine as well as my dad's. On the internet I'm commonly confused with a Tackle for the Cleveland browns.

Since the last name is common, I think it was crap for my dad to give me that name. Something barely anybody else has would've been better so I'm not always 'lost in the system'.

ClevelandBronco
04-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Yeah that would be a pain. What I was saying was having a common name(last) you get other mail anyways, and it's not that big of a difference. I get tons of other people's mail with the same name as mine as well as my dad's. On the internet I'm commonly confused with a Tackle for the Cleveland browns.

Since the last name is common, I think it was crap for my dad to give me that name. Something barely anybody else has would've been better so I'm not always 'lost in the system'.

Your name is Ahtyba Rubin?

KurtCobain
04-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Your name is Ahtyba Rubin?

Nailed it!

Rain Man
04-05-2011, 07:29 PM

I agree with that philosophy. If you have a common last name, you should go with an uncommon first name. If you have an uncommon last name, you can go with a common first name, though it may not be required to do so. Most of us fall in the middle on last names so it doesn't matter so much. But yeah, if my last name is Johnson or Smith or Williams, my kid's going to get a name like Artemis or Xerxes, not Mike or John.

(And no offense if your name is Mike Smith or John Williams. I'm sure you do just fine. But you need to have a talk with your parents about branding.)