PDA

View Full Version : Life PSA

Lzen
04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Ric Anderson: A life cut short

Posted: April 4, 2011 - 6:25pm

(http://clicks.beap.ad.yieldmanager.net/c/YnY9MS4wLjAmYnM9KDE0aXBqbzM1YShnaWQkYjU2OWE1NWMtNWZlZC0xMWUwLWI1ZTgtMjcyZDk5Yzg5ZDY5LHN0JDEzMDIwNTM1 Mzc2NTk3NDgsc2kkMTEwNTU1MSx2JDEuMCxhaWQkOEFBbkVFUzBxZGMtLGN0JDI1LHlieCQ4eEM3MmVGaEVXVWk0X2xQb28wZnF3 LHIkMCxyZCQxMWZtN2o2cWwpKQ/2/*http://static.cjonline.com/adhub/1001039826-1W/)

On June 1, 2005, Shirley McDonald was expecting to hear whether her son, Scott, had landed his ideal job.
Instead, the news she got that day still brings tears and pain nearly six years later.
Scotty, as he was known to his family, had been working in a temporary capacity for the Kansas Department of Transportation and had told his family he would find out that day whether he’d be added as a full-time KDOT road crew member.
Growing up, Scotty had loved to work outside. He did volunteer work with the groundskeeping crew at Colmery-O’Neil VA Medical Center, where Shirley worked as a psychiatric nurse, and would run off after storms to help people clear broken trees and limbs from their yards.
When the KDOT position became available, Scotty jumped at it.
“I always joked that he loved Tonka trucks when he was little, and he got to play with the big ones when he grew up,” Shirley said.
But her son’s perfect opportunity never arrived. The news that his family received that June day was that Scotty had been struck by a car and killed as he was working along US-75 highway just north of the Kansas River bridge in Topeka. He was 24.
Shirley McDonald has been speaking about his death virtually ever since, partly because it helps her heal but mostly in hopes it will protect others.
“I don’t want anybody else to feel the way I’ve felt for the last six years and the way my family has felt for the last six years,” she said. “It’s devastating. It takes a long time to come back from something like that.”
She’ll speak again Wednesday at a KDOT event promoting National Work Zone Awareness Week, an event she also helped publicize last year.
Talking about her son’s death isn’t easy for her. Not easy at all. On Monday, she cried as she talked about the accident and its aftermath. As I was taking her outside The Capital-Journal building for a photo, I asked her whether she’d left anything in the newsroom.
“Just a little part of me,” she said.
Through appearances like the one she’ll make Wednesday, she hopes she can influence motorists into looking out more for highway workers. The event is scheduled for 10 a.m. at KDOT’s new Oakland office, located on US-40 highway near the K-4 junction, and will be held in conjunction with Go Orange day, in which Kansans are encouraged to wear orange clothing to support highway workers.
Part of the message to motorists this year will be that construction site safety isn’t all about protecting workers. In fact, KDOT officials said that all seven of the people who died in work zone accidents last year were motorists. A total of 1,263 accidents happened in 2010, resulting in 504 injuries.
The main cause in the vast majority of those accidents — 80 percent — was driver inattention.
That’s where Shirley McDonald hopes her message sinks in.
“I think there has been a lot of education and a lot of effort to bring awareness,” she said. “But as I drive around and see work sites, you wonder (if it’s getting through).”
True, you do. Between smartphones and in-car computers and such low-tech distractions as eating and personal grooming, there’s plenty to be worried about when it comes to the safety of highway workers.
So here’s hoping Kansans listen to Shirley’s message — and, more importantly, that they think about it the next time they see orange barrels.
Ric Anderson can be reached at (785) 295-1282 or ric.anderson@cjonline.com.

Lzen
04-05-2011, 07:38 PM
http://ktoc.net/blog_post_view.aspx?blogpostid=6933649c576b42f6bc796e68c3d7fee8

Ever wonder who “ 'Em” is in “Give 'Em A Brake”? They are members of the community, and may be sitting or standing right next to you. The person out there working in traffic could be someone you know. Slow down in the “cone zone.” That is someone's office – and someone else is expecting them home safe.
The life you save really might be your own, as more than 85% of work zone accidents are the general motoring public.
Although these following rules sound overly-simple and might elicit a “Duh!” response from the average driver, I bet my bottom dollar if every motorist followed them to the letter, we wouldn't have to have a work zone awareness week.
Be alert. Minimize and eliminate distractions. Pay close attention. Expect the unexpected. Be very cautious. Don't change speed dramatically. Don't tailgate or lane change. Watch out for lane diversions and detours. Keep your cool and be patient. Leave room and leave yourself an out. And, by all means, manage your stress, and obey road crew flaggers.
The highway construction industry urges both workers and motorists to follow these basic steps, giving their full attention to the roadway, and recognize the orange signs along your drive that indicate work zones, to help save lives and prevent injuries in this critical area.
The most dangerous part of any roadway – for motorists and construction workers – is a construction work zone. Each day, hundreds of Kansas Department of Transportation employees, and contractors' project workers, perform their jobs in work zones all across Kansas. These workers put themselves in harm's way to improve travel for the rest of us. While we place signs and cones in the road, and wear vests so our workers are easy to see, these tools are no match for a 3,000-pound car.
While we can't bring back the lives lost in highway work zones, we can honor those people by doing our part to make sure it doesn't happen again.
If following simple rules isn't reason enough to driving safely, consider that fines are double in a work zone, and workers do not have to be present for you to receive a speeding ticket. Fines can range up to $1,200, and your auto insurance rates will rise accordingly.
Thank you again for not being the next statistic. Enjoy our good roads and have a great time once you get to where you are going.
Dan Ramlow is the Executive Vice President of the Kansas Contractors Association

Demonpenz
04-05-2011, 07:40 PM
we have two seasons winter, and construction

Lzen
04-05-2011, 07:43 PM
we have two seasons winter, and construction

:LOL:

But seriously, this subject is very serious to me. I have been in those work zones as a worker.

shirtsleeve
04-05-2011, 09:33 PM
I have had my psa run, and I am prostate cancer free, thankyouverymuch!

Lzen
04-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Why work zone safety is important is the topic of this discussion. I am sure that everyone who responds will have a different perspective and there will be some common themes. Most obviously, work zone safety improves the chances that workers and travelers through will be uninjured. People, vehicles, and equipment will remain intact. The work will proceed without delay. Money will be saved. Future travel through the work zone will benefit from the work that has been done. Relationships will survive. Dreams will be fulfilled. Our 24-year-old son, a KDOT employee, was just a step away from safety when he was killed in a work zone on a busy highway. Several people stated that he and his co-worker had done everything correctly and that if he had just been a step or two in a different direction the car that struck and killed him would have missed him and he would have been safe and alive.
What happened? Was the driver impaired in some way? Did they suffer a medical crisis? Were they reaching for a cell phone or makeup or sunglasses or something? Had they been drinking or using drugs? Were they unable to see our son? Did their vehicle malfunction? Were they driving at an excessive speed and lost control? Did they steer to the right to avoid a head-on collision? The questions torture one’s mind.
Highway workers deserve that we find the best answers possible to keep them safe. Theirs is a dangerous job to keep those of us who travel the highways safe. The worker must be constantly alert to and focused on their job while at the same time constantly aware of and responsive to what is going on around them. They must always be prepared for the unexpected. The equipment they work with is potentially dangerous and must be used in areas that are often less than desirable. Weather, time of day, and volume and speed of traffic can increase the danger. Add in driver behaviors that distract them and the danger is increased.
Work zone safety depends on each of us, worker or traveler through, to be alert, responsible, and focused on our respective work—driving, cycling, walking, road work, rescue work etc. Everyone wants to get home or to their destination safely.
Shirley McDonald is the mother of KDOT employee Scotty McDonald who was killed in a work zone crash in 2005. She wrote this blog on Sept. 23, 2009, as part of the Put the Brakes on Fatalities Day blog series on traffic safety. With Shirley’s permission, we are re-running this blog today as it is a powerful reminder on the need for work zone safety.

Frosty
04-06-2011, 08:45 AM
:LOL:

But seriously, this subject is very serious to me. I have been in those work zones as a worker.

I have too. It's scary as hell the way people drive through them.

Saulbadguy
04-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Did you wear orange today, Lzen?

Lzen
04-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Did you wear orange today, Lzen?

Yep.

Braincase
04-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Slow down, folks. It's not just your life at stake.

morphius
04-06-2011, 09:59 AM
I think the workers would be much better served if they had different levels of construction zones. I'm not sure how best to classify it, but a slow down zone with people actually working should have different signs than one that doesn't. Many times the construction zones seem to go weeks without anybody working, so everyone becomes numb to them and then drives faster through them.

Saulbadguy
04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I think the workers would be much better served if they had different levels of construction zones. I'm not sure how best to classify it, but a slow down zone with people actually working should have different signs than one that doesn't. Many times the construction zones seem to go weeks without anybody working, so everyone becomes numb to them and then drives faster through them.

Even if they don't have people working, driving too fast through them is still a hazard.

Fish
04-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Well the DOT doesn't exactly do everything it should/could to ensure the safety of its workers. Sometimes the flow of traffic gets more priority than worker safety.

morphius
04-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Even if they don't have people working, driving too fast through them is still a hazard.
Well, that's why I was suggesting different levels of construction zone. Some zones are safer than other to carry a certain speed. I've seen zones in Nebraska that were miles long and nothing but orange barrels on the grass by the side of the road, not exactly dangerous.

Frosty
04-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Well, that's why I was suggesting different levels of construction zone. Some zones are safer than other to carry a certain speed. I've seen zones in Nebraska that were miles long and nothing but orange barrels on the grass by the side of the road, not exactly dangerous.

I've seen that in the Columbia Gorge in Oregon. The barrels have been there for years and I have never seen anyone actually working there. But the slower speed signs, as well as the "Fines Double in Work Zone", are still there which makes me think that it is a simply a speed trap. That doesn't do anything good for actual work zones.

Saulbadguy
04-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Yep.

I literally do not own one piece of orange clothing, aside from the safety vests.

Lzen
04-06-2011, 12:59 PM
I literally do not own one piece of orange clothing, aside from the safety vests.

I actually bought a shirt from shirt.woot a couple years ago. It is orange with a grill and on the grill is green eggs and ham. :) Other than that, I have no orange clothes other than a vest at work that I haven't had to use in quite a while.