PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Antitrust lawsuit vs Electronic Arts over football video games

Lzen
04-06-2011, 01:04 PM
<center>I know this belongs in the media center forum, but I thought others that don't go over there may want to see this. I just got this in an email (apparently, I have purchased a few EA football games over the last 6 years).

GEOFFREY PECOVER and ANDREW OWENS v. ELECTRONIC ARTS INC.
U.S. District Court (N.D. Cal. - Oakland Div.)
Case No. 08-cv-02820 CW

If You Purchased Certain Electronic Arts Brand Football Video Games
Between January 1, 2005 to the Present
You May Be a Class Member. </center>
Membership as a class member in the Electronic Arts Litigation is the result of a lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, Oakland Division (Case No. 08-cv-02820 CW).

<center>What Is This Class Action About?</center> The class action lawsuit alleges violations of California's antitrust and consumer protection laws in connection with the sale of certain football video games. Plaintiffs, purchasers of Electronic Arts' football video games, claim that Defendant Electronic Arts entered into a series of exclusive licenses with the National Football League (NFL), National Football League Players' Association (NFLPA), National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA), and Arena Football League (AFL), which Plaintiffs claim foreclosed competition in an alleged football video game market. Plaintiffs allege that this series of exclusive licenses caused customers who purchased certain football video games to be overcharged.
Defendant Electronic Arts has denied any liability and all allegations of misconduct. The Court has not decided whether the Defendants did anything wrong, and this Notice is not an expression of any opinion by the Court about the merits of any of the claims or defenses asserted by any party to this litigation.

<center>Who Are Class Members?</center> The Class includes all persons who, during the period January 1, 2005 to the present, purchased the Madden NFL, NCAA Football, or Arena Football League brand video games published by Electronic Arts with a release date of January 1, 2005 to the present. Excluded from the class are purchasers of software for mobile devices, persons purchasing directly from Electronic Arts, persons purchasing used copies of the relevant football video games, and Electronic Arts' employees, officers, directors, legal representatives, and wholly or partly owned subsidiaries or affiliated companies.

<center>What Should I Do? (Getting Further Information)</center> If you believe that you may be a class member (see above "Who Are Class Members"), you should get more detailed information about the class action and its potential effect on you and your rights. Further information can be obtained by going to the following website: www.easportslitigation.com (http://www.easportslitigation.com/). Additional information about the lawsuit may be obtained from Plaintiffs' Counsel website at www.hbsslaw.com (http://www.hbsslaw.com/), or by calling Plaintiffs' Counsel at 1-206-623-7292 (tel:1-206-623-7292).

<center>
<center>To Remain a Class Member</center> If you are a class member and you do nothing, you will be bound by the court's rulings in the lawsuit, including any final Settlement or Judgment.

<center>To Exclude Yourself from the Class</center> <center>(Deadline to Request Exclusion: June 25, 2011)</center> If you are a class member and you want to exclude yourself from the class and keep your right to sue Defendant, you must take further action before June 25, 2011. By that date, you must request exclusion in writing to this address:
<center>Electronic Arts Litigation Exclusion
P.O. Box 8090
San Rafael CA 94912-8090

Or submit a request for exclusion electronically at the following website: www.easportslitigation.com (http://www.easportslitigation.com/)

For further information about excluding yourself from the class go to the following website:
www.easportslitigation.com (http://www.easportslitigation.com/)

Please do not telephone or address inquiries to the Court.
April 6, 2011. By Order of the U.S. District Court (N.D. Cal. - Oakland Div.).</center></center>

loochy
04-06-2011, 01:18 PM
http://arthropoda.southernfriedscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/facepalm.jpg

WhitiE
04-06-2011, 01:28 PM
.... what?

Jewish Rabbi
04-06-2011, 01:29 PM
http://arthropoda.southernfriedscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/facepalm.jpg

I guess I don't get your response. EA is definitely going to lose this suit.

Iowanian
04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
I don't know about the lawsuit, but ESPN was onto a solid game to compete with Madden and that was a good thing.

Bump
04-06-2011, 01:35 PM
sign my ass up! I don't care if I get $1 back, I want a better football game!

Just Passin' By
04-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Why would EA lose the suit? No company is prevented from making football video games.

ReynardMuldrake
04-06-2011, 01:38 PM

Why? EA games cost the same $60 every other game costs. Who is being overcharged? Yes they put out some shitty licensed games. That's the nature of licensing. The NFL chose to license their product to EA. What are the courts supposed to do about that?

The Franchise
04-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Why would EA lose the suit? No company is prevented from making football video games.

Why? EA games cost the same $60 every other game costs. Who is being overcharged? Yes they put out some shitty licensed games. That's the nature of licensing. The NFL chose to license their product to EA. What are the courts supposed to do about that?

The class action lawsuit alleges violations of California's antitrust and consumer protection laws in connection with the sale of certain football video games. Plaintiffs, purchasers of Electronic Arts' football video games, claim that Defendant Electronic Arts entered into a series of exclusive licenses with the National Football League (NFL), National Football League Players' Association (NFLPA), National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA), and Arena Football League (AFL), which Plaintiffs claim foreclosed competition in an alleged football video game market. Plaintiffs allege that this series of exclusive licenses caused customers who purchased certain football video games to be overcharged.

2K5 was $20 if I remember correctly. Basically EA Sports could charge $60 when 2k5 was $20 because of the exclusive NFL license.

Just Passin' By
04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
2K5 was $20 if I remember correctly. Basically EA Sports could charge $60 when 2k5 was $20 because of the exclusive NFL license.

Exclusive licensing is legal, and it was the 2k5 undercutting Madden on price, not Madden overselling on 2k5.

I don't know the specifics of the filings, and I'd love to see better better football video games, but I see nothing for the plaintiffs in the basics.

Ming the Merciless
04-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Fuck EA.

This has been a long time coming.

I remember the year when Sega/2k made their shit 20 bucks. I was so stoked, I vowed never to get madden again...Only to have EA smash my dreams.

Fuck you EA

Sofa King
04-06-2011, 02:06 PM
it would be sweet if they could start making the 2k series again. 2k5 was far superior. i bought a couple madden's after that, but what a bunch of shit.

I'd hope they keep nearly the setup they had back then with the highlights etc...

i'd buy that game...

Ming the Merciless
04-06-2011, 02:09 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=antitrust+law+for+idiots

KCrockaholic
04-06-2011, 02:11 PM

FWIW At this time Madden 2005 was only $50 because it was on PS2, not PS3....Just sayin.

The Franchise
04-06-2011, 02:12 PM
FWIW At this time Madden 2005 was only $50 because it was on PS2, not PS3....Just sayin.

Yeah....I just remembered that. Thanks.

Still....they didn't have to stay competitive because they had the license.

HoneyBadger
04-06-2011, 02:15 PM
So will I get money if I sign up?

KCrockaholic
04-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah....I just remembered that. Thanks.

Still....they didn't have to stay competitive because they had the license.

I concur.

The Franchise
04-06-2011, 02:17 PM
How do you include yourself? I looked at the website but there was nothing there that included how to sign up.

I've bought tons of EA games since 2005.

Valiant
04-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Not sure how this will go. The lisence did kill all competition. Madden proceeded to get worse, with features taken out and put into another game. You basically pay every year 60 to get roster updates and online play.

Maybe a compramise can be met. 3years to play online and allow free 3rd party or 5dollar roster update for older versions.

For some reason, most people allow sports games to get away with that shit, when other types don't. If yhou want people to pay 60 for a new game, make anew game. Not just a roster update with minot tweaks visually.

Lzen
04-06-2011, 03:08 PM
I disagree, Valiant. This year's Madden is much better. Still has some problems, yes. But it is a definite upgrade over a couple years ago.

Just Passin' By
04-06-2011, 04:08 PM
So, in doing a little bit of digging, the suit really comes down to the claim that the exclusive licenses are illegal.

No wonder this was filed in the 9th circuit.

kcxiv
04-06-2011, 07:14 PM
I disagree, Valiant. This year's Madden is much better. Still has some problems, yes. But it is a definite upgrade over a couple years ago.

Making a better game for EA football doesnt mean its a good game. Everyone knows my stance on EA football. Shit is terrible. I been without a good gaming NFL football game for years now. I am not getting any younger. Back in 2004 when this shit all went down, i was like, its ok i can last a few years without it. Shit, its 2011 and ia m 34 now. Its time that we get competition back.

Also, if there is going to be one company making games, it has to be that one company just crushed the other with the case of NHL for EA and NBA for 2K. Them games are the exclusive license without paying for it.

We just need competition so both companies can make money, more people get hired, and its fair for EVERYONE. EA and 2K and any other companies that want to make a game, NFL, NFLPA and the Video Gamers.

Micjones
04-06-2011, 08:37 PM
2K had caught up and surpassed Madden toward the end of their run.
Competition was the best thing that ever happened to the Madden series.
Isn't their deal with the NFLPA ending soon anyway though? 2013?

trndobrd
04-06-2011, 08:46 PM
How do you include yourself? I looked at the website but there was nothing there that included how to sign up.

I've bought tons of EA games since 2005.

To include yourself do nothing. You have to specifically request to opt out of the class.

If you've bought EA games you will receive part of the judgement or settlement. It usually works out that the law firm filing the suit makes several million in legal fees and the class members (you) will get a $3 coupon for your next EA purchase.

CHENZ A!
04-06-2011, 08:54 PM
To include yourself do nothing. You have to specifically request to opt out of the class.

Really?

OK so how do these people know that I purchased the games? Just curious, did Sony share the info of everyone who did?

SDChiefs
04-06-2011, 09:01 PM
I just got the email as well. Im all for competition.

Sure-Oz
04-06-2011, 09:08 PM
So i assume i can just delete this email and not worry about it

also curious how they got my email weird...sony online?

Nightfyre
04-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Well, since the nflpa no longer exists...

kcxiv
04-07-2011, 03:50 AM
Well, since the nflpa no longer exists...

If there is a lock out there will be NO NFL players in Madden. Just numbers like NCAA Football.

Lzen
04-07-2011, 07:46 AM
2K had caught up and surpassed Madden toward the end of their run.

Let me preface this by saying that I loved 2k5. I think 2k is a great company. Their college hoops games (wish they didn't stop making them after 08) and NBA games are light years ahead of EA.

That being said, I don't buy that 2k5 was better than Madden. They both had their positives and they both had their negatives. I'm not gonna go into all of this again since we have had this debate on Chiefs Planet many times. Suffice it to say that 2k5 had some issues of its own. But I don't doubt that they might have surpassed Madden had EA not bought up the NFL license.

Competition was the best thing that ever happened to the Madden series.
Truth.

Lzen
04-07-2011, 07:48 AM

If you've bought EA games you will receive part of the judgement or settlement. It usually works out that the law firm filing the suit makes several million in legal fees and the class members (you) will get a $3 coupon for your next EA purchase.

Wonderful the way that aspect of our legal system works, eh? :rolleyes:

Lzen
04-07-2011, 07:49 AM
If there is a lock out there will be NO NFL players in Madden. Just numbers like NCAA Football.

And just like NCAA, you will have to wait a week or two before someone makes a custom roster with all the names. No big deal, really.

The Franchise
04-07-2011, 09:46 AM

Except I didn't get an e-mail talking about this. So how am I included then?

Lzen
04-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Except I didn't get an e-mail talking about this. So how am I included then?

I would assume they got the names/emails from everyone who registered their games on EA's servers. You have to register with EA in order to play NCAA Football online.

chopper
04-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Got my email today, so I just quit my job in expectation of the untold riches I am due for the many injustices I've suffered since I bought my first ever Madden game in january and sold it a month and a half later. The last 2K game I played was 2K1 for dreamcast. It was almost as easy to return a KO for a TD in that game as Joe Montana football '96 for Genesis. Plus any trade you wanted to make went through, I say let em back in the game.
Posted via Mobile Device