PDA

View Full Version : Football So We Are In Court Today?

philfree
04-06-2011, 01:18 PM
The NFL and the NFLPA I mean. I didn't see a thread about it so I started one.

Here's a report.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d81f1e12d/NFL-daily-update?module=HP_headlines

PhilFree:arrow:

KCrockaholic
04-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Good to see somebody mentioned this on an NFL board.

Mr. Laz
04-06-2011, 01:25 PM
c'mon ... support that lockout

philfree
04-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Doesn't court usually let out at 3:00? We should find out what the judge ruled in just a little while.

BigCatDaddy
04-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Doesn't court usually let out at 3:00? We should find out what the judge ruled in just a little while.

From ESPN

"Nelson isn't likely to rule on the injunction request Wednesday. She could side with the players and grant the injunction, putting pro football back in business. Or she could side with the owners and either deny the injunction or wait to decide until the NLRB rules on the league's contention that decertification was an improper bargaining ploy.

The winner would have leverage whenever talks on a new collective bargaining agreement resume. However, whatever Nelson decides likely will be appealed."

Just Passin' By
04-06-2011, 01:58 PM
c'mon ... support that lockout

Unless the judge bites on the jurisdiction argument, early reporting seems to indicate that the players are in good shape:

Only 1 mention of irreparable harm and Nelson said it "appears players have strong case"

http://twitter.com/Greg_A_Bedard/status/55664631150157824

It sure seems like Nelson will have to first rule on juridiction and then maybe need another hearing on injunction - if it gets that far

Nelson did, a few times early in the hearing, mention mediation and why they're not there now instead of not paying the players

Nelson indicated the thing she's having a hard time with is a lockout being legal after a union decertification

http://twitter.com/Greg_A_Bedard

philfree
04-06-2011, 04:24 PM
So the judge "suggested" that both sides negoatiate in the federal court. I think I like this judge.

Brock
04-06-2011, 04:28 PM
http://twitter.com/adamschefter

It will take a couple of weeks to get a ruling.

philfree
04-06-2011, 04:49 PM
http://twitter.com/adamschefter

It will take a couple of weeks to get a ruling.

I've been watching it unfold on the NFL Netwrork. They need to negotiate it our at the federal court house and not wait on the ruling. It's just going to drag out with appeals if they don't. An no matter what is ruled both sides are still going to have to get together and negotiate a CBA. Why wait?

Titty Meat
04-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Theres not going to be a season.

Titty Meat
04-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi Bug

Bugeater
04-06-2011, 04:55 PM
What's with the new username?

Titty Meat
04-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Why not?

Bugeater
04-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah, same here.

Mr. Laz
04-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Theres not going to be a season.
yes, there will.

1. the chance that the courts rule against a Union/trade association is very low no matter how much bullshit it going on. If the Unions lose that then they will pretty be forced to give in.

2. If a pig does fly out Brock's ass and the judge actually rules against the Stealth Players Union then it won't take long before the players give in to that 600 million dollar difference.

it's fucked up, but the courts will stop this thing either way

maybe from now on we should just have a judge decide everyone's salary.

go America

milkman
04-06-2011, 08:16 PM
yes, there will.

1. the chance that the courts rule against a Union/trade association is very low no matter how much bullshit it going on. If the Unions lose that then they will pretty be forced to give in.

2. If a pig does fly out Brock's ass and the judge actually rules against the Stealth Players Union then it won't take long before the players give in to that 600 million dollar difference.

it's ****ed up, but the courts will stop this thing either way

maybe from now on we should just have a judge decide everyone's salary.

go America

Yeah, cause this judge's decision will set the player's salaries.

philfree
04-07-2011, 10:50 AM
The players are supposedly putting together a letter to the owners asking for a meeting at the Federal Court House.

Rausch
04-07-2011, 11:00 AM
There is no way in hell this season happens...

Chiefnj2
04-07-2011, 11:15 AM
The players are supposedly putting together a letter to the owners asking for a meeting at the Federal Court House.

I doubt the owners sit unless the NFLPA becomes a "union" again.

BigCatDaddy
04-07-2011, 11:16 AM

I think they have to wait 1 year before they can.

philfree
04-07-2011, 12:08 PM

The judge has pretty much given them protection from that. If the owners do recieve a letter inviting them to meet and they refuse the judge is going to be disappointed in them. It's best to do what the judge suggest and if the owners want a chance at a favorable ruling they be best served to take the suggestion. Of course they be best served by meeting and coming to an agreement on a CBA. I'm not saying it's gonna happen I'm saying it'd be best.

BigMeatballDave
04-07-2011, 12:57 PM
I've been watching it unfold on the NFL Netwrork. They need to negotiate it our at the federal court house and not wait on the ruling. It's just going to drag out with appeals if they don't. An no matter what is ruled both sides are still going to have to get together and negotiate a CBA. Why wait?

PhilFree:arrow:They can still play without agreeing to a new CBA. Its happened before.

Chiefnj2
04-07-2011, 01:03 PM
The judge has pretty much given them protection from that. If the owners do recieve a letter inviting them to meet and they refuse the judge is going to be disappointed in them. It's best to do what the judge suggest and if the owners want a chance at a favorable ruling they be best served to take the suggestion. Of course they be best served by meeting and coming to an agreement on a CBA. I'm not saying it's gonna happen I'm saying it'd be best.

I don't think the owners care what this judge decides. I read that the appeal panel that would hear any appeal consists of predominately staunch republicans and the owners believe they will get a favorable decision in front of them.

philfree
04-07-2011, 01:55 PM
I don't think the owners care what this judge decides. I read that the appeal panel that would hear any appeal consists of predominately staunch republicans and the owners believe they will get a favorable decision in front of them.

I would still do what the judge suggested because they could still get a favorable ruling from her. Of course the players will appeal that but at that point the owners will be in the drivers seat. And regardless of what happens they're still going to have to work out a CBA.

philfree
04-08-2011, 06:49 PM
So they had a conference call with the judge and nobody's talking. Probably a gag order.

The players did petition for another attourney to be added in thier lawsuit. DeMaurice Smith.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81f29cc4/CBA-update?module=HP_headlines

Buck
04-08-2011, 06:52 PM
The government saw that the NFL couldn't agree on their budget and shut down so they decided to do the same.

Will there be a Government in 2011? It's looking less and less likely.

Just Passin' By
04-08-2011, 06:58 PM
The government saw that the NFL couldn't agree on their budget and shut down so they decided to do the same.

Will there be a Government in 2011? It's looking less and less likely.

This has poll question potential.

Rain Man
04-10-2011, 12:13 PM
TNT is showing The Replacements if anyone is interested.

Rain Man
04-10-2011, 12:17 PM
If we need replacement players, Scott can take a few lessons from this movie. They signed a Japanese sumo wrestler who is looking pretty good so far in run blocking. They haven't showed him pass blocking yet, but we'll see.