PDA

View Full Version : Life Kids and their parents.

Brianfo
04-08-2011, 09:45 PM
I have a unique situation that I thought I would ask the board about. It deals with kids and sports and its a tough subject to talk about. Probably small town dumb stuff, but I am being serious. We live in a small town and have a small high school, but recently voted to consolidate with another school that we have been whole grade sharing for about ten years. Anyway enough babbling. Here is what I need advice on. There is a person in our town that has decided to put together a traveling little league team. It involves 1-3 grades. Like I said we live in a fairly small town. Anyway they have chosen 2 kids from my sons class. He is in 1st grade. My son did not get chosen. The coaches son and probably the best athlete in the class got chosen. I am cool with that, but my son came home and said that he is not good enough to play with the little league team. They are in 1st fukn grade. I would help coach if I could but Spring/Summer is my busy time. I coach the little kids wrestling program in the winter. I am going to sound like another parent, but my son is a pretty good athlete. Essentially the coach hand picked 2 kids without any sort of try out or reasoning. My wife is absolutely livid. She was an all state pitcher and led her team to the state tournament as a freshman. She coached little league in her home town for 5 years. What should we do??

Keep our yaps shut??
Confront the coach??
Start another team??
Crack a beer and laugh it off??
Jump into an aids tree while drinking antifreeze??

I have already made up my mind, but want to see what the planet thinks.

HonestChieffan
04-08-2011, 09:48 PM
traveling team for 1st graders....what on earth?

DeezNutz
04-08-2011, 09:53 PM
traveling team for 1st graders....what on earth?

This.

Consider yourself saved. Play locally. No more than 20ish games per year. If he gets into high school and is really good, then consider a traveling team. Anything before this is silly.

ForeverChiefs58
04-08-2011, 09:55 PM
kind of sounds like there might be enough of a good reason to start another team.
Good luck.

siberian khatru
04-08-2011, 09:55 PM
That is absolutely insane.

Bugeater
04-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Fuck it. Baseball is stupid anyway.

RJ
04-08-2011, 10:01 PM
First grade? They're just now becoming proficient at opening their own milk cartons and still have trouble buttoning sweaters and zipping jackets. Take your boy out back for some whiffle ball and look into the travel team somewhere down the road.

Bump
04-08-2011, 10:04 PM
ya a traveling 1st grade baseball team? Consider yourself lucky that he didn't get picked. But tell the kid that he's good enough, they just picked at random.

Sure-Oz
04-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Play local its first fucking grade

04-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Why in the hell would you want to put a first grader on a traveling baseball team? Thats just nuts. Hell, its nuts to even have a traveling baseball team for that age.

BIG_DADDY
04-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Teach your kid the keylock and when his kid is in wrestling have your boy break the shoulder he throws with and when his dad confronts you tell him why.

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Why in the hell would you want to put a first grader on a traveling baseball team? Thats just nuts. Hell, its nuts to even have a traveling baseball team for that age.

THIS

BIG_DADDY
04-08-2011, 10:27 PM
THIS

I just love the way you always bring a new and refreshing viewpoint.

BigRock
04-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Guy sounds like an asshole. I'd be glad my kid doesn't have to deal with his asshole antics. Still, I might ask him "Hey asshole, where was the tryout?"

wutamess
04-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Shit! You guys are old and out of date. I was umpiring competitive softball 8 yo's and that shits insane. By 12 there was this one little pitcher that walked with her throwing shoulder higher than the other (kinda lopsided).

Shit can get insane so if his son wants to play comp baseball who are yall to shun it.
Anyways dude... I don't know what I'd do in my situation. I'd probably talk to the coach to inquire about the team if it's the ONLY team in town.

When I was 1st grade, my mother knew I was one of the better players on this really good team but the coach put me in right field and rotated on the bench every other inning. I guess he didn't see what we knew. Anyways, after seeing enough after a couple of games she walked me off the field in the middle of one of the games and I switched teams to one of the worst teams in the league. Instantly we were the 2nd best team in the league and eventually that coach and every coach in the league tried recruiting me every year after that to come to their team as I was probably the best player in the league at that age (not tooting my own horn either. Straight facts in my opinion :) !).

Basically, have him play on another team if you can and if your son is as good as he says he is then people will notice. If not, then maybe the guy was right.

Look at it as a chance to build some character in the boy... Lifes not full of hand outs... He has to earn it. Here's your chance to see if he has the determination to be great or if he just wanted on the team for social hour.

It should be his choice through hard work practice and determination... Not yours.
You'll know his choice by his actions without being on the team. Will he shrug it off after the dust settles or try to get better by himself or by requesting your assistance.

Gracie Dean
04-08-2011, 10:41 PM
you can't fight their battles and I found when I tried, I only made things worse for my kid

Mr. Kotter
04-08-2011, 10:46 PM
I just love the way you always bring a new and refreshing viewpoint.

Just like you. NTTAAWWT, of course. :shrug:

Pitt Gorilla
04-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Who cares? It's first grade; it really doesn't matter. at all.

pr_capone
04-09-2011, 12:32 AM
Perfect opportunity to teach your kid that life isn't always fair and that if he keeps working at it, he will get his opportunity.

acesn8s
04-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Meh, traveling Little Leaguers hit their peak in the LL World Series and very few have gone on to the big leagues. Tell your kid that he has a better chance on being a big leaguer than those other two.

Brianfo
04-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Going to just take it in stride and work with my son as much as I can. Don't want to make matters worse for him down the road. Still think said parent is a class a dousche and trying to relive his high school days thru his kids. End of rant.

Dave Lane
04-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Hate to say it but he probably sucks. Being a "good athlete", if such a thing is possible at 6, and being a good baseball player are two different things. If he was a beast they would want him on the team. That said why the fuck would you or your wife care? He's 6. Work with him one on one and help him get better so maybe by the time he's 10 he can make 3&2 and you can see IF he even has an interest

Lzen
04-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Keep our yaps shut??
Confront the coach??
Start another team??
Crack a beer and laugh it off??
Jump into an aids tree while drinking antifreeze??

Out of these options, I would say you have 2 choices.

A: Just don't say anything. I mean, it is just little league. Don't put too much pressure on your son at this age or he may hating the sport. Take it all in stride.

B: You could just ask the coach why he didn't choose your son. I mean, for all you know maybe he had a good reason. Not trying to be mean or anything but maybe your son is not as good as you think. If that's the case, don't feel bad. A lot of parents do this. Another possibility is that perhaps he has never seen your son play and doesn't realize his potential. Hey, the guy was putting together a team. If you're putting together a team, you're gonna pick the kids that you think are best suited to help your team succeed.

Personally, I would go with B. Just don't go all stupid parent crazy if you get an answer that you don't like.

Iowanian
04-09-2011, 08:55 AM
make your own team and let Icebox play MLB for the little Giants....and win the coaches car dealership by beating him on the field on the 4th of July