PDA

View Full Version : News Civil War started 150 years ago today

mlyonsd
04-12-2011, 12:03 PM
April 12, 1861. I was wondering why PBS showed the entire Burns series last week. Which, I always get caught up in even though I've seen it 5 or 6 times.

That is all.

Bowser
04-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Interesting. April is a big month for history, it would appear.

Sofa King
04-12-2011, 12:07 PM

If only there was a thread about historical events. Maybe someone could update it every day, or at least once a week.

Bowser
04-12-2011, 12:09 PM
If only there was a thread about historical events. Maybe someone could update it every day, or at least once a week.

Please, with all the bannings and drama going on around here? Who has time for that?

bevischief
04-12-2011, 12:10 PM
It has continued in the Why was Gochiefs banned thread.

Donger
04-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Yuri Gagarin became the first human to orbit the Earth 50 years ago today, too.

Someone should create a thread about historical events with daily updates.

Amnorix
04-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Nifty idea. Wish I'd thought of that...

:sulk:

Sofa King
04-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Nifty idea. Wish I'd thought of that...

:sulk:

who are you again?

Donger
04-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Holy sh*t. Gagarin was only 5' 2"?

gblowfish
04-12-2011, 12:21 PM
The KC Star had a cool section about the Civil War in Missouri & Kansas last Sunday.

As a descendant of the Missouri State Militia, I say:

BURN LAWRENCE AGAIN!!!

Kidding, I'm kidding...

One of the coolest new Civil War monuments is in Harrisonville, MO. Cass County was one of the areas burned to the ground because of Union General Ewing's General Order #11. It created dozens of "Jennison Tombstones." Jennison was an especially nasty Kansas Redleg:

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=22089

BTW: Jennison was eventually court marshalled for plundering in Missouri.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_R._Jennison

Pants
04-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Fuckin' slavers... fuck 'em.

Rain Man
04-12-2011, 12:38 PM

It's because the weather is getting nicer. Everyone would sit around freezing all winter and getting mad and plotting stuff, and then once spring came they'd invade Russia or kill the king or oppress the people.

gblowfish
04-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Fuckin' slavers... fuck 'em.

There's only three kinds of suns in Kansas.
Sunshine,
Sunflowers,
and Sons of Bitches!

Alton deFlat
04-12-2011, 12:52 PM

He was probably just a tall chimp that they shaved. Damn Commies!

listopencil
04-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Damn Yankees.

Gonzo
04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why shooting some czar named Ferdinand escalated a civil war over here.
Maybe it had something to do with that Napoleon guy invading poland and the UK with V2 rockets.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
04-12-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why shooting some czar named Ferdinand escalated a civil war over here.
Maybe it had something to do with that Napoleon guy invading poland and the UK with V2 rockets.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think you have the wrong war. This one started because of Ho Chi Minh sinking the Lusitania in concert with the French and the Indians. People tend to put blame on Custer's last stand at Thermopylae, but that was just because Hannibal and Patton squaring off against him was such a famous matchup.

Amnorix
04-12-2011, 01:29 PM
who are you again?

Just a troll Patriots fan. :thumb: ;)

Amnorix
04-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Yeesh. Someone needs to teach some of youse guys some basic hystorical facks. Maybe I'll look into do in sumptin.

Donger
04-12-2011, 01:33 PM
A cannot believe that I didn't know this. Well, honestly, I probably did know it at one point and forgot:

Gagarin bailed out of his capsule at 27,000 feet rather than land inside it, per plan. Can you imagine that?

Garcia Bronco
04-12-2011, 01:39 PM
I think you have the wrong war. This one started because of Ho Chi Minh sinking the Lusitania in concert with the French and the Indians. People tend to put blame on Custer's last stand at Thermopylae, but that was just because Hannibal and Patton squaring off against him was such a famous matchup.

Don't forget Leonidas and the 300 winning the war at Yorkplace.

mlyonsd
04-12-2011, 01:40 PM
A cannot believe that I didn't know this. Well, honestly, I probably did know it at one point and forgot:

Gagarin bailed out of his capsule at 27,000 feet rather than land inside it, per plan. Can you imagine that?

You'll try a lot of things after drinking a fifth of Vodka.

Donger
04-12-2011, 01:40 PM
:spock:

Wow, you guys really need to revisit a history book or four.

Rain Man
04-12-2011, 02:01 PM
:spock:

Wow, you guys really need to revisit a history book or four.

Let me check what the Texas Department of Education recommends.

Bowser
04-12-2011, 02:03 PM

A five mile freefall? Hahaha, no.

Alton deFlat
04-12-2011, 02:03 PM

That must have been quite a ride.

Donger
04-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Joe's got him beat:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/90Y0_iJrRl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
04-12-2011, 02:06 PM

What a coward.

Sofa King
04-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Just a troll Patriots fan. :thumb: ;)

Never heard of the Patriots.

I'm going to go bump that History thread i started a few years ago.

crispystl
04-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

You guys r dumb we all know Hitler caused the whole thing when he bombed Pearl Harbor.

JD10367
04-12-2011, 06:32 PM

Given the size of the Russian capsules, I'm not surprised. They're like being crammed into the backseat of an old VW Bug.

Gracie Dean
04-12-2011, 06:41 PM
news this morning said "amazingly no soldiers were killed at Ft Sumter" but they were wrong. One soldier died when the cannon misfired.

Gonzo
04-12-2011, 07:09 PM
news this morning said "amazingly no soldiers were killed at Ft Sumter" but they were wrong. One soldier died when the cannon misfired.
Lt. Dan's family had some one die in every, single, American, War.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gracie Dean
04-12-2011, 07:18 PM
On Friday, April 12, 1861, at 4:30 a.m., Confederate batteries opened fire, firing for 34 straight hours, on the fort. Edmund Ruffin, noted Virginian agronomist and secessionist, claimed that he fired the first shot on Fort Sumter. His story has been widely believed, but Lieutenant Henry S. Farley, commanding a battery of two mortars on James Island fired the first shot at 4:30 A.M. (Detzer 2001, pp. 269–71). No attempt was made to return the fire for more than two hours. The fort's supply of ammunition was not suited for the task, also there were no fuses for their explosive shells, only solid balls could be used against the Rebel batteries. At about 7:00 A.M., Captain Abner Doubleday , the fort's second in command, was given the honor of firing the first shot in defense of the fort. The shot was ineffective, in part because Major Anderson did not use the guns mounted on the highest tier, the barbette tier, where the gun detachments would be more exposed to Confederate fire. The firing continued all day, the Union fired slowly to conserve ammunition. At night the fire from the fort stopped, but the confederates still lobbed an occasional shell in Sumter. On Saturday, April 13, the fort was surrendered and evacuated. During the attack, the Union colors fell. Lt.Norman J. Hall risked life and limb to put them back up, burning off his eyebrows permanently. No Union soldiers died in the actual battle though a Confederate soldier bled to death having been wounded by a misfiring cannon. One Union soldier died and another was mortally wounded during the 47th shot of a 100 shot salute, allowed by the Confederacy. Afterwards the salute was shortened to 50 shots. Accounts, such as in the famous diary of Mary Chesnut, describe Charleston residents along what is now known as The Battery, sitting on balconies and drinking salutes to the start of the hostilities. The Fort Sumter Flag became a popular patriotic symbol after Major Anderson returned North with it. The flag is still displayed in the fort's museum. A supply ship Star of the West took all the Union soldiers to New York City. There they were welcomed and honored with a parade on Broadway.

J Diddy
04-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Dammit, if only Skip were here.

He could give us a first hand account.

Okie_Apparition
04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Let 'em have Texas as a sesquicennial gift.

J Diddy
04-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Let 'em have Texas as a sesquicennial gift.

I think Delawares more in our budget.