PDA

View Full Version : An off-the-wall idea for changing draft rules

Saul Good
04-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Andrew Luck would almost certainly have gone number one had he declared for the draft. Because he chose to go back to school, the Panthers windup with a much less desirable set of options. Why not let teams draft any player they want with the understanding that they get the rights to the player they select whenever that player decides to turn pro?

The Panthers want Luck? Draft him this year and wait. You like Jimmy Clausen out of 8th grade? Spend a 7th rounder on him and hope he pans out in 7 years.

Sofa King
04-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Panthers select Andrew Luck #1 overall.

Luck decides to play golf.

Luck decides to not play football.

Luck decides to break his knees.

ModSocks
04-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I don't think taking someone's rights before they even declare would work. Sounds illegal.

And it's also not fair to the player. What if you pick a junior in college with your 3rd rounder? He blossoms in his senior year and gets a first round grade. That player just got fucked out of millions of dollars before he even declared.

Direckshun
04-13-2011, 01:29 PM
I believe this is how the Celtics landed Larry Bird.

DJ's left nut
04-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I don't think taking someone's rights before they even declare would work. Sounds illegal.

And it's also not fair to the player. What if you pick a junior in college with your 3rd rounder? He blossoms in his senior year and gets a first round grade. That player just got fucked out of millions of dollars before he even declared.

You'd have to eliminate the slotting system to do it.

Afterall, the player is still an amateur athlete as a JR and can't sign the contract until he came out. When he comes out as a SR after setting the world on fire for a year, he could still get his big money deal commensurate with his performance, but only if you eliminated the slotting system (at least as it related to underclassmen). And you'd have to have some fair system in place allowing the 'early draftees' to opt out of an unfair deal brokered by virtue of their deflated draft stock. It could be done, but it would take some people smarter than I to figure it out.

They had similar situations in the MLB draft until a few years ago under the 'draft and follow' rules, but they were used only in limited circumstances and the loophole was finally closed. And yes, that's how Bird ended up in Boston.

It's a neat idea, though. I'd probably like it, but it opens up some serious cans of worms.

Chiefnj2
04-13-2011, 01:51 PM
The Panthers can always try to trade away the 1st round pick to gather the ammo needed to move and grab Luck next year, if they want him that bad.

Saul Good
04-13-2011, 02:01 PM
The Panthers can always try to trade away the 1st round pick to gather the ammo needed to move and grab Luck next year, if they want him that bad.

Unless the Rams or Lions have the first pick next year, nobody is trading away the chance to draft the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning.

Rain Man
04-13-2011, 07:17 PM
I've proposed this before and think it sounds fun. However, detoxing brings up a good point with how it could affect players. Especially when we spend a seventh on that 132-lb. Chinese 3 year-old and he turns out to be a beast at nose tackle.

notorious
04-13-2011, 07:56 PM
I've proposed this before and think it sounds fun. However, detoxing brings up a good point with how it could affect players. Especially when we spend a seventh on that 132-lb. Chinese 3 year-old and he turns out to be a beast at nose tackle.

"Fuck! We passed on Tom Brady's sperm! It would have been worth a 6th round flyer!"

"Damnit Pioli!"

Mr. Laz
04-13-2011, 08:03 PM

And it's also not fair to the player. What if you pick a junior in college with your 3rd rounder? He blossoms in his senior year and gets a first round grade. That player just got fucked out of millions of dollars before he even declared.i don't see how it would be illegal ... it's not like there is anything legally binding from the junior high football player when he was drafted.

only his NFL football rights would be controlled and that's all up to the NFL.

Tribal Warfare
04-13-2011, 08:04 PM
"Fuck! We passed on Tom Brady's sperm! It would have been worth a 6th round flyer!"

"Damnit Pioli!"

well, Giselle's ovaries would've taken 2 first round picks to achieve that anyway