PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet planet characteristic poll

crazycoffey
04-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Recent events have me thinking about Chiefs Planet poster characteristics.

One seems to thrive and reveal in the anonymity this loosely moderated board allows them. I loved how Howard Stern broke down so many barriers with his shock value radio show. And this type of posting generally allows one to be a shock jock poster. No accountability, you can say whatever you would (probably) never say in real life to a person's face and it gives a sorta power that you can only find here. I get the appeal.

The second is the posters who regular meet for beers, poker parties, draft parties, games, etc. There is definitely a sense of community here between those posters and I don't think there's anything wrong with that either.

And third is the lurker. I want to read the news here and enjoy the drama some, but no way I'm going to meet any of your freaks in real life and no way do I want to post regularly.

I'm not trying to change anything, I think this place would probably blow without one or another. I was just wondering which one better describes your own draw to the mighty Chiefs Planet.

Rain Man
04-14-2011, 12:15 PM
I voted for anonymity in the public poll, just because I could.

Pants
04-14-2011, 12:17 PM
2 parts community, 1 part anonymity. I should probably be more polite to people I have no respect for on this website, but I just let it fly. I really do like most regulars on here quite a bit, though.

The Franchise
04-14-2011, 12:20 PM
2 parts community, 1 part anonymity. I should probably be more polite to people I have no respect for on this website, but I just let it fly. I really do like most regulars on here quite a bit, though.

This.

BigMeatballDave
04-14-2011, 12:24 PM
2 parts community, 1 part anonymity. I should probably be more polite to people I have no respect for on this website, but I just let it fly. I really do like most regulars on here quite a bit, though.Same here...

Saulbadguy
04-14-2011, 12:24 PM

I hate you, and I want you dead.

Pants
04-14-2011, 12:27 PM
I hate you, and I want you dead.

i <3 u, Saul

Bearcat
04-14-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm here for the community, but there are advantages to anonymity and lurking. I have a hard time staying attached to boards that lack a lot of long time active posters and have no sense of community. The anonymity only goes so far... it's nice to have it, but the shock value aspect gets old pretty quickly, and people obviously take it too far. OTOH, maybe the hardcore community people take it too far, too, when all they do is talk about the good old days...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
04-14-2011, 12:32 PM
None of the above.

There is no value in the shock value for me. It's annoying at best and gets people ignored generally if there's no other reason to post here than to throw crap at the wall.

I live too far away to "visit" with people here, but I don't mind running into CP users when I can make it to a game either here with the East Coasters or back at Arrowhead.

I guess I primarily use this board to get Chiefs news because there is next to none here in MD. I'm not exactly a lurker, but I don't post often because so many of the conversations aren't stuff I'm interested in/know about (aka local happenings to KC/Springfield/St. Joe)

crazycoffey
04-14-2011, 12:35 PM
None of the above.

There is no value in the shock value for me. It's annoying at best and gets people ignored generally if there's no other reason to post here than to throw crap at the wall.

I live too far away to "visit" with people here, but I don't mind running into CP users when I can make it to a game either here with the East Coasters or back at Arrowhead.

I guess I primarily use this board to get Chiefs news because there is next to none here in MD. I'm not exactly a lurker, but I don't post often because so many of the conversations aren't stuff I'm interested in/know about (aka local happenings to KC/Springfield/St. Joe)

fair enough...

Saulbadguy
04-14-2011, 12:36 PM
No board will ever satisfy the needs and wants of 100% of its users. It's good that there are several different sites for the Chiefs fans to gather and either talk Chiefs, or make fun of each other.

DaKCMan AP
04-14-2011, 12:40 PM
The Awesome characteristic.

Fish
Impossible to categorize several thousand posters into just 3 distinct characteristic "types".....

chasedude
I see this more of a community than a collection of bunch of trolls. I come mainly for the local sport news. I probably lurk more often than I post mainly cause I don't have anything to say on the issues. I've started maybe 10 threads since I became a member.

Pants
04-14-2011, 12:41 PM
No board will ever satisfy the needs and wants of 100% of its users.

Your mom sure does, though. And she has a lot of users.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
fair enough...

You have to remember, I'm one of the old farts who helped start up this place, (Back when Denise swore she'd NEVER become a member here, for one thing.)

I look at it and realize Chiefs Planet is going through puberty now and is heading straight into those sullen, teenage-angst years. In a few more years, it'll settle down, cut its hair, get a job and start looking for another site to hook up with.

Right now, it's feeling its oats and not quite as well-behaved as it was when it was a youngster.

(I think that was about the first three days before everything went to hell in a handbasket. I blame Phobia for that. :thumb: )

Saulbadguy
Your mom sure does, though. And she has a lot of users.

We aim to please.

crazycoffey
04-14-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm going to vote lurker, even though I misspelled it on the poll, because I think I should have went that route... Nah - I'm met a few good people through this site.

blaise
04-14-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm between anonymity and community. I don't know if I've ever met anyone here, unless maybe at an old DA show event, but I'm not against it. It just never comes up. ChiefsfansofDallas invited me out to some events here in DFW, but it's hard for me to get out there.

seclark
04-14-2011, 01:20 PM
community, as long as i can say anything i like.
sec

Inspector
04-14-2011, 01:21 PM
I thought about posting here but I've never figured out how to. And on top of that, I've never used a computer.

And I don't know how to type.

Or read.

Just Passin' By
04-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Come for the football talk, stay for the train wrecks.

crazycoffey
04-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Impossible to categorize several thousand posters into just 3 distinct characteristic "types".....

which is why the question was "which one of these would better describe...."

I'm not doing a scientific research paper on this, it was a bit of curiosity stemming from the last couple days, and a bit of time for a change in discussions.

But what "types" would you have gone with so I can know what could make this poll question better?

ChiTown
04-14-2011, 01:26 PM
sec

This!
:LOL:

MOhillbilly
04-14-2011, 01:27 PM
dont care. down for whatever.

crazycoffey
04-14-2011, 01:28 PM

don't make me lock you in the basement this weekend...

MOhillbilly
04-14-2011, 01:29 PM
you would be doin a service to humanity CC.

crazycoffey
04-14-2011, 01:32 PM
you would be doin a service to humanity CC.

I've seen your picture, I'd better bring the leg straps with me....

chiefsnorth
04-14-2011, 01:43 PM
I already have family/friends. I'm here to skim any chiefs talk that comes through and gawk at everything else. Anonymity should be your right online if you so choose.

Bugeater
04-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Obviously community for me, I've had some great times with the peeps from this board.

Well, that goes for everyone except Bob Dole, that dude kinda freaks me out.

crazycoffey
04-14-2011, 01:56 PM
I already have family/friends. I'm here to skim any chiefs talk that comes through and gawk at everything else. Anonymity should be your right online if you so choose.

nobody suggested anything like that. In fact if I were to suggest anything it would not be that anonymity isn't a right.

shirtsleeve
04-14-2011, 02:01 PM

yup.

chasedude
04-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Come for the football talk, stay for the train wrecks.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :LOL:

Bump
04-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Anonymity, if these people ever knew where I work and where I live, well I would expect it to end badly.

Bob Dole
04-14-2011, 02:18 PM
WTF is a "Luker"?

luv
04-14-2011, 02:20 PM
WTF is a "Luker"?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say typo.

Frazod
Anonymity, if these people ever knew where I work and where I live, well I would expect it to end badly.

I'd say that's a safe bet, douchebag.

Bowser
WTF is a "Luker"?

I'd say it's a sci-fi nerd.

luv
04-14-2011, 02:23 PM

I name name on one hand, the number of people who have actually been to my actual home, and I've only told one person the name of the law firm I work at. It's fun to just get together with people to have a beer and watch a game. It's also good whenever I can talk someone in KC into going out whenever I come up there.

CrazyPhuD
04-14-2011, 02:33 PM
:dom::BLVD::popcorn:

OnTheWarpath15
04-14-2011, 02:39 PM
A regular and I were talking about this the other day.

I think it used to be more community based.

Over the last 2 years or so, it's gone much more towards anonymity.

We tried to come up with names of people that have joined in the last 2 years that we'd like to meet and have a drink with, and really struggled to get very far.

Back when we joined, and the first few years after, the list was really long.

Personally, I'm here for the community. I've made some great friends here.

Sassy Squatch
04-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Anonymous.. Add nothing to the conversation but pics that annoy people and slow down the server. If the conversation mandates it though ?I can have a serious chat.

jspchief
04-14-2011, 02:54 PM
I started more as Community, with a shade on Anonymity.
I increasingly grew towards the Anonymity description, although I do say those types of things in real life (a little too often).
Now I find myself more and more the lurker. There's still stuff that I enjoy reading but I feel less and less like joining the conversation. Too much dumbassery and not enough stimulating conversation.

MOhillbilly
04-14-2011, 03:14 PM
only cper whos been to the Fortress of Soliture is Vinny. That negros never on.

MOhillbilly
04-14-2011, 03:14 PM
I name name on one hand, the number of people who have actually been to my actual home, and I've only told one person the name of the law firm I work at. It's fun to just get together with people to have a beer and watch a game. It's also good whenever I can talk someone in KC into going out whenever I come up there.

you told me, but i forgot.

bevischief
04-14-2011, 04:48 PM
WTF is a "Luker"?

Someone who is a Luke Skywalker follower...LMAO

bevischief
04-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Obviously community for me, I've had some great times with the peeps from this board.

Well, that goes for everyone except Bob Dole, that dude kinda freaks me out.

Those sun glasses have that affect on people...LMAO

bevischief
04-14-2011, 04:52 PM

This.

The Franchise
04-14-2011, 04:54 PM
I definitely need to get back to KC in the next two years.

chefsos
04-14-2011, 05:17 PM
I voted Luker, because much like in my real life, I generally let others with stronger opinions drive the conversation while I toss in the occasional remark.

crazycoffey
04-15-2011, 03:58 AM
I voted Luker, because much like in my real life, I generally let others with stronger opinions drive the conversation while I toss in the occasional remark.

and waste this perfectly good opportunity to be someone different than real life? you could have owned this town....

rockymtnchief
04-15-2011, 04:03 AM
I went with community, but I'm also a "luker".

I'd drink beer and BS with most folks on here, but some days I'm too tired to type shit.

JOhn
04-15-2011, 04:07 AM
I definitely need to get back to KC in the next two years.

THIS

I have met many of the people on here, though this was back in 01 or 02.

I would like to get back to KC for a game this year and meet some of the n00bs we have on here now. :thumb:

But most anyone on here I would like to meet, and I consider most on here as friends, even though we haven't met. hell I never met Logical, but he helped me immensely at one point as did many others on here

RedandGold
04-15-2011, 05:16 AM
Had to go with the "Luker" option. I read the board daily for info/entertainment, but I hardly ever post.

Nzoner
04-15-2011, 05:37 AM
sec

This!
:LOL:

:thumb:

Rausch
04-15-2011, 07:45 AM
Right now, it's feeling its oats and not quite as well-behaved as it was when it was a youngster.

(I think that was about the first three days before everything went to hell in a handbasket. I blame Phobia for that. :thumb: )

I think the old farts that started and populated this place had a good thing going and the b@st@rd children we sired decided to teenage up and go full retart...

crazycoffey
04-15-2011, 07:48 AM
I think the old farts that started and populated this place had a good thing going and the b@st@rd children we sired decided to teenage up and go full retart...

speaking of bastard kids going teenage up and full retart, still teaching?

patteeu
04-15-2011, 10:17 AM

Yeah, I don't really see why it can't be both at the same time. I voted for anonymity because I don't think people should be obligated to share any more than they want to share. If they want to be completely anonymous, fine. If they want to dip a toe into the community, great. If they want to live their lives publicly over the internet and deal with all the support and condemnation that that draws, fabulous.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-15-2011, 10:24 AM
A regular and I were talking about this the other day.

I think it used to be more community based.

Over the last 2 years or so, it's gone much more towards anonymity.

We tried to come up with names of people that have joined in the last 2 years that we'd like to meet and have a drink with, and really struggled to get very far.

Back when we joined, and the first few years after, the list was really long.

Personally, I'm here for the community. I've made some great friends here.

I'd say this is spot on, and coincides with my view of this place. Good talking to you by the way. Don't be a stranger.

patteeu
04-15-2011, 10:25 AM
I try to remain anonymous because in real life I'm a flaming liberal with a "think globally act locally" bumper sticker on my prius, but I like to play conservative, Cheney-lover here.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-15-2011, 10:27 AM
I try to remain anonymous because in real life I'm a flaming liberal with a "think globally act locally" bumper sticker on my prius, but I like to play conservative, Cheney-lover here.

LMAO Now that's fuckin hilarious. "Don't blame Patteau. He voted for Gore."

Rausch
04-15-2011, 10:35 AM
speaking of bastard kids going teenage up and full retart, still teaching?

No, prison guard now.

I'm sure at some point I'll see a lot of the same faces...

crazycoffey
04-15-2011, 10:39 AM
No, prison guard now.

sounds like a bet with the house odds...

patteeu
04-15-2011, 10:40 AM
No, prison guard now.

Ouch. That would suck to go to prison and find out that one of your guards used to be your teacher.

Rausch
04-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Ouch. That would suck to go to prison and find out that one of your guards used to be your teacher.

Could very well happen...

Reaper16
04-15-2011, 01:12 PM
I like a community where we can say whatever we want to each other. I think that ChiefsPlanet, more than any other place on the internet, is exactly that.

Rausch
04-15-2011, 01:14 PM
I like a community where we can say whatever we want to each other. I think that ChiefsPlanet, more than any other place on the internet, is exactly that.

Well, it's not.

Dream on you Jew Nazi terrorist liberal republican funding pole smoker...

Slainte
04-15-2011, 01:18 PM

I like to know what's so god damned wrong with a community that represses free speech and encourages no real communication.

I'm waiting...

Rausch
04-15-2011, 01:20 PM
I like to know what's so god damned wrong with a community that represses free speech and encourages no real communication.

I'm waiting...

It's worked for the Catholic Church for CENTURIES...

patteeu
04-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Well, it's not.

Whoa... he called him a liberal! We've got to have a rule against that, don't we?

Reaper16
04-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Well, it's not.

Whoa... he called him a liberal! We've got to have a rule against that, don't we?
Hey, I told you I was a Republican-funder in the confidence of Private Messaging. Private Message means PRIVATE Message, hello!

Rausch
04-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Hey, I told you I was a Republican-funder in the confidence of Private Messaging. Private Message means PRIVATE Message, hello!

:spock:

Uh huh...

http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/photo/4e9/319/4e931926-d532-443f-8ef7-327c429e4f2f

patteeu
04-15-2011, 01:58 PM

It's not "hello!", it's "Period!"