PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs PFT: Chiefs Team Needs

Dante84
04-14-2011, 04:20 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/14/team-needs-kansas-city-chiefs/

Team needs: Kansas City Chiefs
Posted by Evan Silva on April 14, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT
Scott Pioli AP

In just their second year on the job, G.M. Scott Pioli and coach Todd Haley returned the Kansas City Chiefs to the playoffs for the first time since 2006. They used a decidedly run-first philosophy, leading the league in rushing attempts and rushing yards. Despite a late-season collapse — the Chiefs were outscored 61-17 in their last two games — this club appears to be on the right track.

OL: In last year’s draft, the Chiefs somewhat surprisingly passed on consensus top tackle Russell Okung in favor of safety Eric Berry. The pick looks O.K. an offseason later, but there’s a reason Kansas City was so heavily linked to linemen with its 2010 first-round pick. Quarterback Matt Cassel has a poor feel for the pass rush, and right tackle Barry Richardson is atrocious in protection. Left guard Brian Waters is 34, center Casey Wiegmann may retire, and left tackle Branden Albert has been inconsistent. If Pioli gets a chance to draft Gabe Carimi or Derek Sherrod at No. 21, we’d be pretty shocked if he passed.

WR: Projected No. 2 receiver Chris Chambers called it a career after the Chiefs handed him a $12 million contract last spring, ultimately losing his job to rotating no-names. By season’s end, top wideout Dwayne Bowe was drawing double coverage or a safety over the top on every snap. Bowe seems to have finally realized his potential, but is entering a contract year with only the likes of Jerheme Urban, Jeremy Horne, Verran Tucker, and Chambers’ carcass behind him.

DL: The Chiefs got more out of nose tackle Ron Edwards and left end Shaun Smith than we would’ve guessed last year; both aging vets defended the run well and created matchup problems with their size. Wallace Gilberry, a situational rush end, was quietly phenomenal replacing Smith on third downs. But Edwards, Smith, and Gilberry’s contracts have all expired, and former No. 3 overall pick Tyson Jackson hasn’t shown anything to suggest he’s a viable starter. That leaves Glenn Dorsey as the only returning lineman locked into a featured role.

LB: Tamba Hali had a breakout year in his first taste of Romeo Crennel’s scheme, and the Chiefs rewarded him with a franchise tag that will pay Hali over $10.5 million in 2011. Kansas City has other interesting youngsters behind Hali — Andy Studebaker and Cameron Sheffield — but neither of them is established, nor does either offer an explosive element that could make Hali even more dangerous on the opposite end of the field. Incumbent starter Mike Vrabel is a free agent, and produced zero sacks in 16 starts last season.

Overview: The Chiefs won’t stay atop the AFC West without continued, annual influxes of talent. They have eight picks in this year’s draft and, ideally, will come away with a field-stretching receiver, starting right tackle, and at least two impact additions in the defensive front seven.

Just don’t forget that Cassel tanked after last year’s late-season firing of offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, his completion rate dropping to 39.2 after word broke of Weis’ dismissal. And that’s why we ranked offensive line and receiver ahead of Kansas City’s defensive needs. In order for Cassel to continue to make strides, the Chiefs’ primary focus April 28-30 should be to upgrade his supporting cast.

The Franchise
04-14-2011, 04:22 PM
former No. 3 overall pick Tyson Jackson hasn’t shown anything to suggest he’s a viable starter

:facepalm:

Ebolapox
04-14-2011, 04:29 PM
yeah, it's shocking that we took an all-world safety, a position of great need, over a tackle that sucked his first year. shocker.

Ebolapox
04-14-2011, 04:30 PM
and apparently the fact that we were weak up the middle running (with a possibly about to retire center) means that we DON'T need a center. fucking idiots.

ModSocks
04-14-2011, 04:46 PM
and apparently the fact that we were weak up the middle running (with a possibly about to retire center) means that we DON'T need a center. ****ing idiots.

yeah, we need a C more than we need any other position. People also keep forgetting that we need a RB too.

Fuck, this team still needs a lot. Not having f/A this year is killing this team.

Otter
04-14-2011, 07:06 PM
yeah, we need a C more than we need any other position. People also keep forgetting that we need a RB too.

****, this team still needs a lot. Not having f/A this year is killing this team.

Steve Wisniewski is a thoroughbred and a Penn State lineman (they've worked out pretty good for the Chiefs). I'd have no problem drafting him 1st or 2nd to fill that hole for about 10 years.

to fill that hole for about 10 years. - that's what she said.

keg in kc
04-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Somewhat surprisingly drafted a generational safety instead of a run-of-the-mill tackle.

factortobe
04-14-2011, 07:13 PM
First pick RT, second pick NT, third pick WR, fourth pick QB, fith pick MLB, sixth pick OLB, seventh pick TE, eighth pick WR

Dante84
04-14-2011, 07:16 PM
First pick RT, second pick NT, third pick WR, fourth pick QB, fith pick MLB, sixth pick OLB, seventh pick TE, eighth pick WR

And don't worry about what players are available or left in any position outside of this order.

ModSocks
04-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Steve Wisniewski is a thoroughbred and a Penn State lineman (they've worked out pretty good for the Chiefs). I'd have no problem drafting him 1st or 2nd to fill that hole for about 10 years.

- that's what she said.

The fan in me wants a WR in the 1st. But I know a C is what this team really needs. A perfect draft for me would be

1st-C (Who? I don't know) I'd also be happy with an OLB here as well.
2nd- Hankerson (Please slip, please slip)
3rd- RB (Taiwan Jones or Daniel Thomas Please)

Frazod
04-14-2011, 07:21 PM
"Just don’t forget that Cassel tanked after last year’s late-season firing of offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, his completion rate dropping to 39.2 after word broke of Weis’ dismissal."

:spock:

Dante84
04-14-2011, 08:58 PM
The fan in me wants a WR in the 1st. But I know a C is what this team really needs. A perfect draft for me would be

3rd- RB (Taiwan Jones or Daniel Thomas Please)

DT will go mid-2nd. Count it.

KCrockaholic
04-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Why do people that know nothing about football teams feel the need to write about those teams?

Seriously, leave the "analysis" to the people that actually follow, and KNOW this team.

The rest can fuck the fuck off!

nascher
04-14-2011, 09:07 PM
What a joke B.Richardson actually played well enough to start him again this year.
It seems that all the experts simply copy each other. Its not really a pressing need.
What we need are "more" linebacker. Vrabel is way too slow if even even comes back.
And outside of Tamba Hali and DJ there isn't much. If you look at teams with a 3-4 you need a bunch of good linebackers.

Rasputin
04-14-2011, 10:53 PM
What a joke B.Richardson actually played well enough to start him again this year.
It seems that all the experts simply copy each other. Its not really a pressing need.
What we need are "more" linebacker. Vrabel is way too slow if even even comes back.
And outside of Tamba Hali and DJ there isn't much. If you look at teams with a 3-4 you need a bunch of good linebackers.

I agree, B Richardson played better than what he gets credited for. We do need depth tho for our oline. Center being our top priority in this draft.
Linebackers, WR, and I would really love us to draft a QB.

I think this year holds more pressure to get position of need out of draft since they havn't had any FA deals getting done. Who knows when they finally ever strike a deal, but it's hard to get a clear feeling of what to expect for the upcomming season.

Fat Elvis
04-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Just don’t forget that Cassel tanked after last year’s late-season firing of offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, his completion rate dropping to 39.2 after word broke of Weis’ dismissal.

Ugh. Jamarcus Russell has better stats than that.....

Bewbies
04-14-2011, 11:16 PM
this is what you get when someone who doesn't watch any games tells you what you need on draft day.

RealSNR
04-14-2011, 11:28 PM

3rd- RB (Taiwan Jones or Daniel Thomas Please)In my opinion, the RB2 "need" is way overblown.

Sure, if the value's right, absolutely. If Mark Ingram is still there in the 2nd round for fuck's sake draft the guy. The Chiefs always seem to do a good job developing RBs, though. Javarris Williams, Jackie Battle, and even Thomas Jones will be in the hunt for that 2nd roster spot, and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me at all to see us stand pat and take other positions this draft.

Obviously draft value is key, but OL (center AND tackle), LB, NT, WR, QB, and even another S should be considered before we take a RB. If the value is equal between RB and one of the previous positions I listed, those should come first.

RealSNR
04-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Also, Todd Haley tends to give the guys on this roster lots of chances. He's a pretty damn patient head coach. Well, unless you're a WR, that is.

Bump
04-14-2011, 11:32 PM
this guy is an idiot. Berry was THE pick, no doubt about it and there's no regrets with it.

beach tribe
04-15-2011, 12:19 AM
In my opinion, the RB2 "need" is way overblown.

Sure, if the value's right, absolutely. If Mark Ingram is still there in the 2nd round for ****'s sake draft the guy. The Chiefs always seem to do a good job developing RBs, though. Javarris Williams, Jackie Battle, and even Thomas Jones will be in the hunt for that 2nd roster spot, and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me at all to see us stand pat and take other positions this draft.

Obviously draft value is key, but OL (center AND tackle), LB, NT, WR, QB, and even another S should be considered before we take a RB. If the value is equal between RB and one of the previous positions I listed, those should come first.

Projected 7th rounder right here.
Gonna be a huge steal in this year's draft. Would be the battering ram we need to compliment Charles.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c8YOlWdwxXM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KCrockaholic
04-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Also, Todd Haley tends to give the guys on this roster lots of chances. He's a pretty damn patient head coach. Well, unless you're a WR, that is.

He's been pretty damn patient with Bowe. And Bowe responded with a career year. I'd say overall he's a patient coach.

Saccopoo
04-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Projected 7th rounder right here.
Gonna be a huge steal in this year's draft. Would be the battering ram we need to compliment Charles.

Yeppers. Robert Hughes would be a nice addition to this team. Came out of high school as one of the top running backs and didn't bitch at all when he was asked to switch over to fullback/powerback in college.

Catches the ball very well, is elusive in the open field and has the power to smash it between the guards on short yardage. Punishing blocker as well. Would fit extremely well in this system and be a big upgrade to the Cox/Castille duo and most likely be an upgrade to Battle as well.

KCrockaholic
04-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Yeppers. Robert Hughes would be a nice addition to this team. Came out of high school as one of the top running backs and didn't bitch at all when he was asked to switch over to fullback/powerback in college.

Catches the ball very well, is elusive in the open field and has the power to smash it between the guards on short yardage. Punishing blocker as well. Would fit extremely well in this system and be a big upgrade to the Cox/Castille duo and most likely be an upgrade to Battle as well.

He's versatile as hell, that's for sure. I think he's one of those guys that is just a solid football player no matter where you put him.