PDA

View Full Version : Computers Auto-sync folders back to server via VPN

jAZ
04-16-2011, 11:10 AM
So I've started using a couple of the backup apps... SugarSync to get a couple folders to my iPad and Mozy to backup everything.

I have one folder that is all work stuff. We have a shared network folder that I can access over a VPN. I've want to start auto-syncing my work stuff back to the work server. What's the best way to do that such that the experience is seamless like Mozy or SugarSync?

Fritz88
04-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Idlebackup
Posted via Mobile Device

jAZ
04-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Looks useful, but I've installed it and don't see anywhere to setup the VPN login info. Is that a limitation? My VPN requires login when it's needed, and disconnect when done. With an auto backup, I'd need those things embedded into the software it would seem.

jAZ
04-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Google is amazing. The top search result for "idlebackup over vpn" is this thread...

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=idlebackup+vpn#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=idlebackup+over+vpn&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=85026ce329db349f

DaFace
04-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Dropbox is another option, but I don't think it's ideal for what you're looking to do. It'd have to be installed on both ends, and it's a little limiting on where it'll actually work (in terms of where the files are located).

jAZ
04-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Dropbox is another option, but I don't think it's ideal for what you're looking to do. It'd have to be installed on both ends, and it's a little limiting on where it'll actually work (in terms of where the files are located).

Yeah, this is a hosted file server. Not mine to tinker with.

Fish
04-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Looks useful, but I've installed it and don't see anywhere to setup the VPN login info. Is that a limitation? My VPN requires login when it's needed, and disconnect when done. With an auto backup, I'd need those things embedded into the software it would seem.

Yup.

I've never heard of any type of backup program with that feature though. And VPN is controlled by the system software on the iPad. Normally Apple doesn't let 3rd party developers duplicate system functions that are already in the OS.

jAZ
04-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Yup.

I've never heard of any type of backup program with that feature though. And VPN is controlled by the system software on the iPad. Normally Apple doesn't let 3rd party developers duplicate system functions that are already in the OS.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm actually talking about running this (whatever it is) from my laptop and backing up to my file server via VPN. I just mentioned the iPad as background how I got to thinking about this and what I'd like it to look like.

DaFace
04-16-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't know of any program that will automatically do it in the background like the apps mentioned. You could always just use a manual sync program (MS has one called MS Sync or something like that) so that you at least avoid having to remember what files you've changed and that type of thing.

QuikSsurfer
04-16-2011, 01:06 PM
So you want something always active on the VPN tunnel that will keep a folder synced at all times -- without having to authenticate?

QuikSsurfer
04-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Are you using a VPN client from your laptop or SSL VPN (like netextender)?

jAZ
04-16-2011, 01:27 PM
So you want something always active on the VPN tunnel that will keep a folder synced at all times -- without having to authenticate?

In theory, yeah. Is that a major security no-no?

BigRedChief
04-16-2011, 02:57 PM
You are aware of the risks? You open up a whole new round of threats that you can bring back into work now. I know its convient but the risk is just too great. Any company that will allow this is going to get compromised real soon.

I've seen some safe solutions to this issue but its not in the public domain, yet.

If you want to set up VM View you could do a linked clone to your Ipad but you will have to use RDP instead of PCoIP which is going to make it less secure. But, it will work for what you would like to do.

QuikSsurfer
04-16-2011, 03:43 PM
In theory, yeah. Is that a major security no-no?

Yes sir.