PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Short ribs

acesn8s
04-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Anybody have a good short rib recipe?

I have short ribs in the freezer from a side of beef and have very little idea as to how to prepare them.

How do you prepare them? What does it taste like? What do you look for in a good short rib recipe? What flavors are important in a good recipe?

KurtCobain
04-19-2011, 12:28 AM
I don't like ribs.

ExtremeChief
04-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Midgets have short ribs.

Just Passin' By
04-19-2011, 01:29 AM
Braise them

acesn8s
04-19-2011, 02:45 AM
It looks like I will have to wait for the cooks from the day crew. :(

Just Passin' By
04-19-2011, 02:51 AM
It looks like I will have to wait for the cooks from the day crew. :(

I'm sorry my first answer was so short. You can look to the food network for some pretty easy examples, though. I'd give you my recipe, but I don't have it accessible tonight.

acesn8s
04-19-2011, 02:57 AM
I'm sorry my first answer was so short. You can look to the food network for some pretty easy examples, though. I'd give you my recipe, but I don't have it accessible tonight.

You have a couple of hours since I'm at work.

crazycoffey
04-19-2011, 03:03 AM
i have a good reciepe, but I think I left it at my son's house....

JOhn
04-19-2011, 04:38 AM

:LOL:

bevischief
04-19-2011, 07:09 AM
google a recipe for one.

Dartgod
04-19-2011, 07:09 AM
What does it taste like?

Chicken
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy!
04-19-2011, 07:41 AM
You'll want to braise them for sure. Kind of a classic prep is to use a red wine/tomato sauce for the braising liquid (look for a recipe with a mirepoix, garlic, thyme, etc.). You're probably going to cook at 350 or 375 for three hours or thereabouts.

tooge
04-19-2011, 07:41 AM
you will have to braise the shit out of them for them to be super tender. I would recommend searing them in a hot oven safe pan that has a lid in a bit of oil until browned all around (cut them up into individual ribs of course). Then deglaze them with som red wine. Dice up some onions, bell peppers, a few cloves of minced garlic, and add to the pan along with a can or two of diced tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste, and add a bay leaf. Cover with a lid and place in the oven at 375 for about an hour and a half. You will have some very tender and flavorful beef ribs with a nice gravy to go with them. Get some good bread to lop all the gravy up.

acesn8s
04-19-2011, 08:03 AM
you will have to braise the shit out of them for them to be super tender. I would recommend searing them in a hot oven safe pan that has a lid in a bit of oil until browned all around (cut them up into individual ribs of course). Then deglaze them with som red wine. Dice up some onions, bell peppers, a few cloves of minced garlic, and add to the pan along with a can or two of diced tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste, and add a bay leaf. Cover with a lid and place in the oven at 375 for about an hour and a half. You will have some very tender and flavorful beef ribs with a nice gravy to go with them. Get some good bread to lop all the gravy up.So the flavors are a bit Italian? What kind of wine would be best? Red wine I'm sure but my knowledge of wine ends there.

Fire Me Boy!
04-19-2011, 08:10 AM
So the flavors are a bit Italian? What kind of wine would be best? Red wine I'm sure but my knowledge of wine ends there.

Try a nice chianti.

Fava beans would be a good side.

tooge
04-19-2011, 08:28 AM
So the flavors are a bit Italian? What kind of wine would be best? Red wine I'm sure but my knowledge of wine ends there.

I woudn't really call the flavors Italian, maybe a hint, but more savory "home cooking". If you want the gravy thicker after it has all cooked for a couple hours, just add a tablespoon of flour and stir it in for a few minutes once you remove the ribs from the pan. A side would be some good thick mashed potatoes. In fact, you could serve a couple of ribs and a ladle of the gravy over the taters. It would be the bomb. Some cheesy grits would serve the same purpose.

Fire Me Boy!
04-19-2011, 08:39 AM
you will have to braise the shit out of them for them to be super tender. I would recommend searing them in a hot oven safe pan that has a lid in a bit of oil until browned all around (cut them up into individual ribs of course). Then deglaze them with som red wine. Dice up some onions, bell peppers, a few cloves of minced garlic, and add to the pan along with a can or two of diced tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste, and add a bay leaf. Cover with a lid and place in the oven at 375 for about an hour and a half. You will have some very tender and flavorful beef ribs with a nice gravy to go with them. Get some good bread to lop all the gravy up.

I'd pass on the bell pepper and go with classic mirepoix (onion, carrot, celery). The bay is a nice add, and I'd still add in some fresh sprigs on thyme. But we were on a similar path. :)

And at 375, I'd be really surprised if 90 minutes would get even close to having tender short ribs. Three hours, minimum, is my bet.

Fire Me Boy!
04-19-2011, 08:43 AM
I woudn't really call the flavors Italian, maybe a hint, but more savory "home cooking". If you want the gravy thicker after it has all cooked for a couple hours, just add a tablespoon of flour and stir it in for a few minutes once you remove the ribs from the pan. A side would be some good thick mashed potatoes. In fact, you could serve a couple of ribs and a ladle of the gravy over the taters. It would be the bomb. Some cheesy grits would serve the same purpose.

Take an immersion blender to it. :)

Also, just for aces' sake, the flour won't thicken your sauce unless you bring it to a boil. Just bring it up and take it off the heat. A little cornstarch (dissolved in cold water) would do the trick, too.

Fire Me Boy!
04-19-2011, 08:43 AM
And I'd be remiss in my duties if I didn't note that it will all taste better if you cook it in a cast iron dutch oven.

Fish
04-19-2011, 08:51 AM

:drool:

Yes.... please continue....

ExtremeChief
04-19-2011, 09:00 AM

Awesome!

tooge
04-19-2011, 10:08 AM
the last three post by FMB are spot on. Cast Iron rules, immersion blender if you want it smoother, and classic mirepoix if you are going for more traditional or "french" flavor. The bell pepper with the onion is more creole-ish. Either way would rock. If you do decide to serve over cheese grits, I want a full report with pics. That is one of my all time favorite meals.

tooge
04-19-2011, 10:11 AM
this is whatshort ribs and cheesy grits looks like.

Just Passin' By
04-19-2011, 12:15 PM
You have a couple of hours since I'm at work.

Sorry, but I can't get to that recipe, and it's been a long time since I've made it (for some reason, I didn't make a single soup or stew all fall or winter), so I can't remember all the details. I've got in on a different computer, and it's being borrowed by my girlfriend while she visits her folks.

In the meantime, though, here are a couple of different options from food network, and one from Wolfgang Puck:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/braised-short-ribs-recipe/index.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/braised-short-ribs-recipe/index.html

http://cookingontheside.com/braised-short-ribs/

The Emeril version is something close to what I make. Like Emeril, I use a beef base with the vinegar rather than the wine. I also use a lot of braising liquid. I do some things differently, though. For example, I add in more carrots and (sometimes) potatoes at the end, and I serve it with rice for those who prefer it without the potatoes. I'll have to try it with grits, now that I've seen that mentioned here as an option.

Fire Me Boy!
04-19-2011, 12:36 PM
For what it's worth, I've never made an Emeril recipe that's worth a damn.

The Anne Burell and Wolfgang Puck recipes are very similar to what I was describing. I'd go with one of those.

Just Passin' By
04-19-2011, 12:42 PM

The Anne Burell and Wolfgang Puck recipes are very similar to what I was describing. I'd go with one of those.

The three recipes are largely the same. The main difference is the choosing of wine vs. vinegar.

As a side note, I've not had the disappointments with Emeril's dishes that you seem to have had.

Fire Me Boy!
04-19-2011, 12:50 PM
The three recipes are largely the same. The main difference is the choosing of wine vs. vinegar.

As a side note, I've not had the disappointments with Emeril's dishes that you seem to have had.

I think my overall opinion of everything I've cooked of his was "underwhelmed". I used to be a huge fan and loved the show, had several of his books (one even autographed)... totally stopped watching after the umpteenth recipe I cooked was just mediocre.

But it's all about tastes. :thumb:

BigOlChiefsfan
04-19-2011, 02:31 PM
I'm old skool, I do mine like Grandma and Grandpa did theirs. Thaw short ribs, rub w/favorite 'dry rub' (or just use equal parts black pepper, brown sugar, thyme and paprika, a big pinch of each - you'll need a heaping tablespoon or so, total) Put in 'fridge overnight, open and drink half a beer before bed. Put half a beer back in fridge. Next morning, pop ribs into crockpot. Add half-can of flat beer. Turn crockpot heat on low, go to work. Come home, take off lid, add some KC Masterpiece sauce or Mott's to the pots. Turn off heat, return lid. Make some slaw, german potato salad or your favorite side dishes. Slice some good fresh bread, dish it up and dig in.

acesn8s
04-19-2011, 05:06 PM
I woudn't really call the flavors Italian, maybe a hint, but more savory "home cooking". If you want the gravy thicker after it has all cooked for a couple hours, just add a tablespoon of flour and stir it in for a few minutes once you remove the ribs from the pan. A side would be some good thick mashed potatoes. In fact, you could serve a couple of ribs and a ladle of the gravy over the taters. It would be the bomb. Some cheesy grits would serve the same purpose.Now that I reread what you were saying after some sleep I am thinking the flavors are closer to "stew-like" would that be correct? Serve with rolls, taters, and a veggie. Would the gravy go well with noodles?

acesn8s
04-19-2011, 05:17 PM

The Anne Burell and Wolfgang Puck recipes are very similar to what I was describing. I'd go with one of those.This

I think my overall opinion of everything I've cooked of his was "underwhelmed". I used to be a huge fan and loved the show, had several of his books (one even autographed)... totally stopped watching after the umpteenth recipe I cooked was just mediocre.

But it's all about tastes. :thumb:And this

I guess the only flavor he adds is his Emeril spice, you know "BAM!" But I don't want every meal to taste the same.

acesn8s
04-19-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm old skool, I do mine like Grandma and Grandpa did theirs. Thaw short ribs, rub w/favorite 'dry rub' (or just use equal parts black pepper, brown sugar, thyme and paprika, a big pinch of each - you'll need a heaping tablespoon or so, total) Put in 'fridge overnight, open and drink half a beer before bed. Put half a beer back in fridge. Next morning, pop ribs into crockpot. Add half-can of flat beer. Turn crockpot heat on low, go to work. Come home, take off lid, add some KC Masterpiece sauce or Mott's to the pots. Turn off heat, return lid. Make some slaw, german potato salad or your favorite side dishes. Slice some good fresh bread, dish it up and dig in.Interesting, your recipe is quite different than the others.