PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Which of these major cities....

luv
04-20-2011, 01:02 PM
....would you rather live in/closest to?

Pick your top three (poll to follow, obviously).

Why do you [want to] live in these cities? What's their appeal to you?

ModSocks
04-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Poll Fail!

tooge
04-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Id really like to live in

tooge
04-20-2011, 01:06 PM
and if I did, I'd every last bit of it

luv
04-20-2011, 01:07 PM
My apologies on the delay in getting the poll up. Someone came into the office.

tooge
04-20-2011, 01:08 PM
you call it "the office"?

Donger
04-20-2011, 01:08 PM
There can be only one.

ModSocks
04-20-2011, 01:09 PM
I went with NY, Seattle and Vegas baby, yeah. KC got consideration only because of the Chiefs.

But seriously, why is San Diego not up there. San Diego deserves to be up there much more than that shit hole L.A.

sedated
04-20-2011, 01:09 PM
In order (since they aren't all on the list): Vancouver, Chicago, Austin, NYC, Vegas. But I'd take anywhere in Portugal over all those.

The Franchise
04-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Kansas City - For obvious reasons.
Las Vegas - For obvious reasons.
Phoenix - I spent 5 years down in Tucson and I love the area. Plus I'm a Sun's fan....so I could go watch some games.

tooge
04-20-2011, 01:11 PM
kc cuz its home, chicago cuz it is a very fun town with lots to do, and seattle because i like the outdoors and canada being fairly close

Bwana
04-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Off of that list...Denver, because I love mountains and could abuse donk fans.

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Orlando - My son lives in Florida.

Kansas City - Grew up in the area.

Phoenix - Spent some time in the area and enjoyed it.

ClevelandBronco
04-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Denver, Seattle and San Diego were the only cities I'd consider at one time. I'd hesitatingly add Austin.

rockymtnchief
04-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Fort Worth for the rodeos and cowgirls. Denver and Seattle to keep me near Montana.

Buck
04-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Where did you get this shit list?

blaise
04-20-2011, 01:21 PM
I picked KC because I love KC, DFW because I live in that area now and I like it. And DC because I think it's an awesome city. It's big enough that it has everything you'd want-sports, museums, restaurants, architecture, festivals, etc. But it also has a lot of green spaces and you can go out to Virginia and go to hiking trails. You can live there for years and still find cool little neighborhoods and places you've never seen.

Third Eye
04-20-2011, 01:21 PM
I left my heart in San Francisco.

luv
04-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Where did you get this shit list?

Consider San Diego as being close to LA.

Bwana
04-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Fort Worth for the rodeos and cowgirls. Denver and Seattle to keep me near Montana.

I'll tell you what, if I was single, Fort Worth may have been on the list. I still smile when I think back to my trips down there. I still don't know if I could live down there on a full time basis, because it so damn flat.

Donger
04-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Seattle in the lead? Why?

ModSocks
04-20-2011, 01:24 PM

The two cities aren't even comparable though. L.A is filthy and crowded.

Buck
04-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Consider Philadelphia as being close to New York....oh wait thats even closer.

Las Vegas should just be LA too, I guess.

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Seattle in the lead? Why?Scenery. Thats my guess.

Otter
04-20-2011, 01:26 PM
My apologies on the delay in getting the poll up. Someone came into the office.

You're missing the Gaz option you nub!

rockymtnchief
I'll tell you what, if I was single, Fort Worth may have been on the list. I still smile when I think back to my trips down there. I still don't know if I could live down there on a full time basis, because it so damn flat.

Tell those girls you're from Montana and know how to two-step...you're in. But, I agree, the flatness would drive me nuts.

ClevelandBronco
Seattle in the lead? Why?

Personally, I love the rain. It's one of the few things I don't like about Denver.

blaise
At one point my wife and I had a choice to live in Houston or Seattle, and we chose Houston. I wonder about that sometimes. I don't regret it, but I'd like to see Seattle sometime.

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Where did you get this shit list?Well, as a Chiefs fan, she doesnt recognize the Chargers, so why bother with SD? :)

ClevelandBronco
04-20-2011, 01:28 PM
At one point my wife and I had a choice to live in Houston or Seattle, and we chose Houston. I wonder about that sometimes. I don't regret it, but I'd like to see Seattle sometime.

No you don't. Just like you don't want your wife to meet the guy she could have married.

luv
04-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Consider Philadelphia as being close to New York....oh wait thats even closer.

Las Vegas should just be LA too, I guess.

I didn't feel like listing every fucking major city. I figure I got a good mix in order to hit most areas around the US. I don't believe I listed more than one city from any given state. Just getting a general idea. I figured people might be able to figure that out. If you feel the need to list a particular city, then do so.

Donger
04-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Personally, I love the rain. It's one of the few things I don't like about Denver.

Seattle doesn't get as much total rain as places like NYC and Atlanta, IIRC. For me, it's the lack of sun that would drive me insane.

Sofa King
I wouldn't even want to live in Sioux Falls let alone a bigger city than that.

But if i did, i'd go to one where i could have a good paying job with lesser living costs, and consistent weather. 70's most of the time would be sweet.

ModSocks
I didn't feel like listing every ****ing major city. I figure I got a good mix in order to hit most areas around the US. I don't believe I listed more than one city from any given state. Just getting a general idea. I figured people might be able to figure that out. If you feel the need to list a particular city, then do so.

Yeah, Buck, you fucking asshole.

She didn't feel like listing every major city. If you got a problem with that, then you can list it yourself ya big jerk.

Idiot.

blaise
04-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Seattle doesn't get as much total rain as places like NYC and Atlanta, IIRC. For me, it's the lack of sun that would drive me insane.

When I lived in Buffalo and Rochester NY people used to say that there were less sunny days in those places than Seattle. Plus you get a ton more snow, a worse economy, and crappier scenery. It could get depressing.

Bwana
04-20-2011, 01:35 PM

Yeah, between the lack of sun and the tree huggers, it wouldn't be my utopia either.

Buck
04-20-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm just saying, you included Indy, Memphis, and Orlando but didn't include Miami, SF, or SD. The fuck?

KCUnited
04-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Portland.

luv
04-20-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm just saying, you included Indy, Memphis, and Orlando but didn't include SF or SD. The ****?

My apologies. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't include Austin, Houston, or San Antonio in Texas, nor St. Louis in Missouri, nor.....

blaise
04-20-2011, 01:39 PM
I would maybe list them differently if money wasn't an issue. Like, if I had millions of dollars I'd probably live in NYC.

Buck
04-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Orlando is the 79th largest city in the US. 79

blaise
04-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Orlando is the 79th largest metro in the US. 79

Dude, it's an internet message board poll. This isn't deciding where people actually live or something.

Donger
04-20-2011, 01:40 PM
And apparently I couldn't stand living in San Diego, either. Lots of sandy vajingas.

Buck
04-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Dude, it's an internet message board poll. This isn't deciding where people actually live or something.

FUCK THAT

luv
04-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Orlando is the 79th largest city in the US. 79

I chose it because it was centrally located in the state. I guess I should have chosen Nashville instead of Memphis for the same reason. I must apologize for my lack of research.

BigMeatballDave
Orlando is the 79th largest city in the US. 79Why does that matter?

Bearcat
Kansas City -- I like it here, and most of my family/close friends live here.

Phoenix/San Diego/Southwest -- Weather might be the biggest reason I'd move, so if I do, I want to get rid of winter.

Seattle -- there's a lot to do... pro/college sports, mountains, close to the ocean, good night life in multiple areas, good food, it's one of the smartest cities in the country...

Others I might consider...

Chicago -- Winter would suck, but there's so much to do, and it would be a short direct flight to KC.

Colorado Springs/Denver -- If I can't get away from winter, I might as well be close to skiing.

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2011, 01:43 PM
And apparently I couldn't stand living in San Diego, either. Lots of sandy vajingas.LMAO

luv
04-20-2011, 01:43 PM
Kansas City -- I like it here, and most of my family/close friends live here.

Phoenix/San Diego/Southwest -- Weather might be the biggest reason I'd move, so if I do, I want to get rid of winter.

Seattle -- there's a lot to do... pro/college sports, mountains, close to the ocean, good night life in multiple areas, good food, it's one of the smartest cities in the country...

Others I might consider...

Chicago -- Winter would suck, but there's so much to do, and it would be a short direct flight to KC.

Colorado Springs/Denver -- If I can't get away from winter, I might as well be close to skiing.

Funny. I would have thought you'd pick Atlanta in there somewhere.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
04-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Given his attitute in this thread, if Buck represents SD, then I definitely want to be on the other coast. :evil:

Los Pollos Hermanos
04-20-2011, 01:45 PM
My goodness, Buck took this thing a little too personal.

San Diego would be a great place to live if it weren't for all the Charger fans... err wait.... San Diego is a great place to live.

blaise
San Diego is a dump.

Rain Man
Among the cities listed, which don't include San Diego, I'd go with:

Denver (Great place - easy #1)
Seattle (Seems solid, but a bit driving intensive unless you find the right spot)
New York City (I'd love to live here for about two years, but no longer)
Orlando (I have a soft spot for Florida, though without much knowledge)
Los Angeles (Laguna or Newport? Sure. Maybe other beach cities. Inland? No way.)
Las Vegas (There are worse places, and it doesn't have a lot of big-city hassles)
Phoenix (It's probably my least-favorite city in the west, but at least it's in the west.)
Chicago (Downtown would be good. No on the burbs.)
Boston (Unknown commodity, but that puts it in the middle.)
Oklahoma City (Wince. At least traffic's not bad.)
Dallas/Fort Worth (Boring and traffic. Why is there a city here?)
Washington DC (Maybe in Georgetown, but nowhere else. East coast, high traffic, out of touch with reality)
Atlanta (Yippee. The South with traffic jams.)
Indianapolis (As a city, this is one where the heart monitor goes beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep in one continuous tone.)
New Orleans (Corruption, obesity, and annoying accents, but at least there's some nudity.)
Memphis (I'm not sure if there's an American city I would like less.)
Kansas City (I spent half my life trying to get out of Missouri. I'm not going back in.)

Buck
04-20-2011, 01:47 PM
FUCK THIS THREAD

IM OUT OF HERE

Sofa King
San Diego is a dump.

San Dumpo?

Otter
If I HAD to choose I guess it would be Seattle for the season changes, proximity of national forests, being close to the ocean and British Columbia.

None of them tickle my fancy however.

If you chose NYC I question when the last time was you've been there. Unless you know the city or have some serious inside connections it's like Disney World gone very, very wrong.

You would have to pay me a million dollars a year to live there and that might get you a decent apartment and 3 squares a day.

Donger
Atlanta (Yippee. The South with traffic jams.)

LMAO

Kansas City (I spend half my life trying to get out of Missouri. I'm not going back in.)

LMAOLMAO

eazyb81
04-20-2011, 01:52 PM
If I HAD to choose I guess it would be Seattle for the season changes, proximity of national forests, being close to the ocean and British Columbia.

None of them tickle my fancy however.

If you chose NYC I question when the last time was you've been there. Unless you know the city or have some serious inside connections it's like Disney World gone very, very wrong.

You would have to pay me a million dollars a year to live there and that might get you a decent apartment and 3 squares a day.

NYC is amazing and has improved dramatically from a decade or so ago due to less crime and pollution.

I agree that it is ridiculously expensive though. I have friends there that would live like kings in other cities, but in NYC they are basically middle class.

If money was no object, I think it would be the easy #1 choice on this list.

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Kansas City (I spent half my life trying to get out of Missouri. I'm not going back in.)Heh, I actually miss living in Missouri. Then again, I've been living in Ohio since '97. Not exactly Shangri-La.

eazyb81
04-20-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm surprised Boston didn't get more votes. It is truly an amazing city.

The winters are rough, but the summers are very nice.

kepp
04-20-2011, 01:56 PM
I've never been there, but I hear Chicago is really nice.

Bearcat
04-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Funny. I would have thought you'd pick Atlanta in there somewhere.

:doh!:

I really like Atlanta, but it would probably be below the others unless I could live downtown... living downtown or at least a close train ride from downtown would be great, because they have 3 major sports all next door to each other, and the Braves are just a couple miles away.... good nightlife and food, etc.

Alton deFlat
04-20-2011, 02:05 PM
I chose Kansas City because I'm familiar with it and I'd be close to family.

Atlanta because it's a warmer climate. Sick and tired of cold winters.

Seattle because I've heard it's beautiful in the northwest.

Otter
04-20-2011, 02:08 PM
NYC is amazing and has improved dramatically from a decade or so ago due to less crime and pollution.

I agree that it is ridiculously expensive though. I have friends there that would live like kings in other cities, but in NYC they are basically middle class.

If money was no object, I think it would be the easy #1 choice on this list.

I went to classes in Manhattan every weekend for a year and a half and have grown to loath the place. As the saying goes; great place to visit, wouldn't want to live there. If I knew people who could show me all the cool restaurants and hang outs tucked away in the alleys and introduce me to the owners and cliques it might be a different story but if you don't have those inside connections it's a McCity filled with McRestaurants filled with McPeople that overcharge and are unfriendly.

No thanks.

Never even noticed the crime or pollution.

CrazyPhuD
04-20-2011, 02:10 PM
My goodness, Buck took this thing a little too personal.

San Diego would be a great place to live if it weren't for all the Charger fans... err wait.... San Diego is a great place to live.

Dude have you seen the stadium on game days? There are no chargers fans in SD!

chiefsnorth
04-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I am offended that you leave my city off but put places no one wants to live like Memphis or Oklahoma City on the list.

eazyb81
04-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I went to classes in Manhattan every weekend for a year and a half and have grown to loath the place. As the saying goes; great place to visit, wouldn't want to live there. If I knew people who could show me all the cool restaurants and hang outs tucked away in the alleys and introduce me to the owners and cliques it might be a different story but if you don't have those inside connections it's a McCity filled with McRestaurants filled with McPeople that overcharge and are unfriendly.

No thanks.

Never even noticed the crime or pollution.

So you think the city sucks because you didn't meet friends to show you the cool places?

I lived there for two years and loved it. It has an energy that I have never felt before in another city. You definitely have to go out and explore the city to really appreciate it, but it is so diverse and exciting that it's hard for to believe that anyone loathes it.

I wouldn't mind moving back there, but I'm not sure I would want to raise a family there. It is just too ridiculously expensive.

ThaVirus
04-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Seattle? Are you guys retarded?.. Orlando is king of that list. Yes, I'm a bit biased.

Otter
04-20-2011, 02:20 PM
So you think the city sucks because you didn't meet friends to show you the cool places?

I lived there for two years and loved it. It has an energy that I have never felt before in another city. You definitely have to go out and explore the city to really appreciate it, but it is so diverse and exciting that it's hard for to believe that anyone loathes it.

I wouldn't mind moving back there, but I'm not sure I would want to raise a family there. It is just too ridiculously expensive.

Would you agree it's far more difficult to meet and talk to people in NYC than say KC?

There's also a personal bias to NYC being a nanny state, sanctuary city, PC BS capitol of the US. I love San Francisco but would never live there because of what kind of city it is, much like NYC. We just don't see eye to eye on top of the other issues.

Los Pollos Hermanos
04-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Atlanta - never
Boston - too cold. No thanks.
Chicago - too cold. No thanks.
Dallas/Fort Worth - While there are some downsides to the DFW area, I've had some pretty good years here. Moving here was one of the better decisions of my life.
Denver - I like Denver. I could probably live there but the Bronco fans would definitely be annoying.
Indianapolis - I can't think of one single reason I would ever want to visit Indiana, let alone live there.
Kansas City - I wouldn't hate living in KC again but I probably wouldn't choose to live there again.
Las Vegas - My dream as a young man was to move to Vegas and become a professional poker player. That dream is dead but I can think of worse places to live.
Los Angeles - I love SoCal. I could live in a suburb of LA. If money were no object I could see myself in a house in Malibu.
Memphis - pass
New Orleans - 10 years ago I probably would have lived there. Not now.
New York City - Too many people.
Oklahoma City - I wouldn't wish living in OKC on my worst enemy.
Orlando - No. I don't ride roller coasters anymore.
Phoenix - I'm not sure. I've never been there.
Seattle - The Northwest is beautiful. I would live there in a heartbeat.
Washington DC - No way.

OnTheWarpath15
04-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Vegas, Dallas and "other" - Vancouver.

If I had more money than God, I'd scratch Dallas for San Francisco.

Rain Man
04-20-2011, 02:27 PM
I am offended that you leave my city off but put places no one wants to live like Memphis or Oklahoma City on the list.

You live in Detroit, right?

Rain Man
04-20-2011, 02:28 PM
This would actually be a great tournament, but I'm afraid that Kansas City would win it and it would depress me.

TrebMaxx
04-20-2011, 02:29 PM
I could live near:
Atlanta - North Area, Buckhead
K.C.
Other, Spokane, WA. It may not be a major city but it is large and close to the mountains, Idaho, Montana and Canada. Also a hop skip and a jump to the Pacific. A lot less rain than Seattle.

Los Pollos Hermanos
04-20-2011, 02:29 PM
This would actually be a great tournament, but I'm afraid that Kansas City would win it and it would depress me.

Exclude Kansas City.

Inspector
04-20-2011, 02:32 PM
I'd go with Kansas City since I own a house there. Plus I have a bunch of kids and a load of grandkids there too.

Rain Man
04-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Exclude Kansas City.

That's a thought. I also thought maybe I'd just say you can't vote for a city you live in.

luv
04-20-2011, 02:42 PM

Make sure to consult Buck to make sure you've included every major city.

eazyb81
04-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Would you agree it's far more difficult to meet and talk to people in NYC than say KC?

There's also a personal bias to NYC being a nanny state, sanctuary city, PC BS capitol of the US. I love San Francisco but would never live there because of what kind of city it is, much like NYC. We just don't see eye to eye on top of the other issues.

Agree with you on the second part, but I am in finance and my friends there were too, so I was a bit more secluded from the lefto freaks while I lived there. I doubt I'd live in SF either.

luv
04-20-2011, 02:43 PM
I think it's cool that several people love where they live.

Rain Man
04-20-2011, 02:45 PM

I'd be sure to include all of the big California cities: Los Angeles, Silicon Valley, Death Valley, Palm Springs, Burbank, and Hollywood. Did I miss any?

Donger
04-20-2011, 02:46 PM
I'd be sure to include all of the big California cities: Los Angeles, Silicon Valley, Death Valley, Palm Springs, Burbank, and Hollywood. Did I miss any?

Fresno and Modesto.

Rain Man
04-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Looking at the poll results, there must be some amazingly cool part of D/FW that I've never seen or heard of. Like a secret redwood forest or something that you only enter through a trap door portal at Gate 47 at D/FW Airport.

Rain Man
04-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Fresno and Modesto.

How did I miss them?

Oh, and San Quentin, of course.

Donger
04-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Looking at the poll results, there must be some amazingly cool part of D/FW that I've never seen or heard of. Like a secret redwood forest or something that you only enter through a trap door portal at Gate 47 at D/FW Airport.

Well, there's Dealy Plaza, where the CIA and aliens killed Kennedy. I was a post-trade show party in a big, cylinder-shaped hotel on the top floor that overlooked the plaza once. It was pretty neat.

MOhillbilly
04-20-2011, 02:51 PM
NOTA

keg in kc
04-20-2011, 02:52 PM
If I ever had to live near any city, it would be KC, where I am now.

People in cities are assholes. Period. They drive like assholes, they act like assholes, they are assholes.

Kansas City, at least the suburbs, are like this weird hybrid of rural and city. People will make eye contact. They'll talk to you, and generally be friendly about it. It's like having some of the benefits of city life but with country tendencies. I sort of look at it like halfway between the mountains of West Virginia (which I don't like all that much) and a major city (which I don't like *at all*). Most of the good without most of the bad.

Sure, I live in OP surrounded by yuppie assholes in their lexus' and mercedes', but it's really not all that bad...

siberian khatru
04-20-2011, 02:59 PM
I voted for just KC, because of the Royals and Chiefs plus it would be just a 2-hour interstate drive to see MU fb and bb (and my parents and sister and her family).

However, if money were no object, I was tempted to add New York, because I love it so much. I also love San Francisco/Northern California -- if I had so much money that it would allow me to put up with all the other shit that goes on there.

I also flirted with Atlanta, Phoenix, Orlando and Chicago. Been to Atlanta and Orlando numerous times and they have a lot to offer, but the traffic just kills me. Phoenix I've been to once and really liked it, but I don't know if I could put up with the heat (and all the immigration politics). Chicago I love but the weather probably would be a deal-breaker for me.

Edit: Dallas I've never been to, but it's always intrigued me. I worry about the traffic there, too.

Jewish Rabbi
04-20-2011, 03:03 PM

It is a pretty shitty list.

ChiefsCountry
04-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Kansas City
Dallas

Also poll fail with no Houston or Nashville. Those would be my top 4 choices.

luv
04-20-2011, 03:14 PM
It is a pretty shitty list.

Then list for me where you'd like. It's not that fucking difficult.

rockymtnchief
04-20-2011, 03:29 PM

Within the Red Lodge/cooke city/livingston triangle. :thumb:

AndChiefs
04-20-2011, 03:41 PM
No Portland?

Rain Man
04-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Kansas City
Dallas

Also poll fail with no Houston or Nashville. Those would be my top 4 choices.

Kansas City, Dallas, Houston, and Nashville? And you're saying that the poll is a fail?

XXXshogunXXX
04-20-2011, 03:47 PM

that is dumb

burt
04-20-2011, 03:50 PM

Tampa Bay area.

kysirsoze
04-20-2011, 03:52 PM
kc cuz its home, chicago cuz it is a very fun town with lots to do, and seattle because i like the outdoors and canada being fairly close

Pretty much this.

sd4chiefs
04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
I grew up in Kansas City and lived there for 40 years before I moved to San Diego. I have lived here for 15 years now and it is awesome. I could never move back to Kansas City because of the awesome weather here. The only thing I miss is going to the Chiefs games and maybe going to see the Royals but they have sucked since 85. Oh, and the BBQ.

So I pick San Diego and I can't think of anywhere esle I would want to live.

P.S. LA is a dump.

DaKCMan AP
04-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Tampa

San Francisco

Portland

Donger
04-20-2011, 03:55 PM
I grew up in Kansas City and lived there for 40 years before I moved to San Diego. I have lived here for 15 years now and it is assume. I could never move back to Kansas City because of the assume weather here. The only thing I miss is going to the Chiefs games and maybe going to see the Royals but they have sucked since 85. Oh, and the BBQ.

So I pick San Diego and I can't think of anywhere esle I would want to live.

P.S. LA is a dump.

I think you're assume and San Diego is assume.

rambleonthruthefog
04-20-2011, 03:59 PM
you left austin off the list. that makes this poll a complete bust.

Bugeater
04-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Eh, as much as I hate to say it, Denver. I'd love to live in Colorado. Fuck the rest of the list, they're either too big, too expensive, or they're in Oklahoma.

SDChiefs
04-20-2011, 04:33 PM
I went san diego, los angeles and nyc with major consideration for seattle

BigMeatballDave
04-20-2011, 04:39 PM
you left austin off the list. that makes this poll a complete bust.Select other, dumbass.

Donger
04-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Eh, as much as I hate to say it, Denver. I'd love to live in Colorado. **** the rest of the list, they're either too big, too expensive, or they're in Oklahoma.

It is nice, especially when you have plenty of oil money to spend.

Donger
04-20-2011, 04:49 PM
you left austin off the list. that makes this poll a complete bust.

Austin: Future Home of the United States Formula 1 Grand Prix!

Bugeater
04-20-2011, 04:50 PM
It is nice, especially when you have plenty of oil money to spend.
I FUCKING KNEW IT!

SDChiefs
04-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Word of advice luv, you're gonna piss off a lot of san diegans by lumping them in with la.

Bugeater
04-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Word of advice luv, you're gonna piss off a lot of san diegans by lumping them in with la.
They're pretty much just another suburb of LA.

SDChiefs
04-20-2011, 04:55 PM

Wrong

KurtCobain
04-20-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't think I want to leave the KC area.

But my second would be Chicago or Columbia because then it'd be less travel for either Bulls games or Tiger games.

Other than that, I hear Denver would be perfect for me from tons of people who have lived out there, but I think I'm good.

Gadzooks
04-20-2011, 04:59 PM

As much as Omaha is a suburb of New York City.

ModSocks
04-20-2011, 04:59 PM

You Motherfucker

Rams Fan
04-20-2011, 05:06 PM

So I guess Memphis should be considered being in the same area as Nashville, right? According to Google Maps, it's only a half hour longer in traffic than from driving from San Diego to LA.

Reaper16
04-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Kansas City. It's home to me.

Chicago. I really love that city.

New Orleans. Cuz' it's one of the few American cities that are really distinct.

If I had seen the "Other" option, I'd have picked Portland or Vancouver.

Rams Fan
04-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Kansas City. It's home to me.

Chicago. I really love that city.

New Orleans. Cuz' it's one of the few American cities that are really distinct.

If I had seen the "Other" option, I'd have picked Portland or Vancouver.

Yeah, because Vancouver is in the U.S....

Gadzooks
04-20-2011, 05:10 PM

Is this poll limited to the U.S.? If not, that changes everything.

Rams Fan
04-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Is this poll limited to the U.S.? 'cause that changes everything.

The top three U.S. major cities that you would rather live in/close to are.....

Unless the U.S means something else besides United States.

BWillie
04-20-2011, 05:14 PM
WTF is Seattle doing in second? In reality it's in 1st, being that most ppl live close to KC and are biased. Las Vegas should be #1 by far.

Gadzooks
04-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Unless the U.S means something else besides United States.

I don't see U.S. in the O.P. aight

SDChiefs
04-20-2011, 05:19 PM
WTF is Seattle doing in second? In reality it's in 1st, being that most ppl live close to KC and are biased. Las Vegas should be #1 by far.

Uh no. I lived in vegas, its only good in three day intervals.

Los Pollos Hermanos
04-20-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't see U.S. in the O.P. aight

Read the poll question.

Reaper16
04-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Didn't read the poll title. I wasn't the only person to say Vancouver though, so fuck you.

siberian khatru
04-20-2011, 05:24 PM
I love visiting New Orleans, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Gadzooks
04-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Read the poll question.

Aah, I see...
Vancouver is defiantly not in the United States, thus, Reaper's response is officially deemed invalid.

SDChiefs
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Aah, I see...
Vancouver is defiantly not in the United States, thus, Reaper's response is officially deemed invalid.

Vancouver washington. Good little town,

Rain Man
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Not that it's a major city by any means, but after going to Kodiak, Alaska, last year I could definitely live there as long as that one Chinese restaurant never went out of business.

KurtCobain
04-20-2011, 05:38 PM
I find Chinese restaurants in Alaska funny.

Gadzooks
04-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Not that it's a major city by any means, but after going to Kodiak, Alaska, last year I could definitely live there as long as that one Chinese restaurant never went out of business.

It closes for the month of February. Then what?!?

Rain Man
04-20-2011, 06:05 PM
I find Chinese restaurants in Alaska funny.

They also served a good milk shake. You have to multi-task if you're a Chinese restaurant in Alaska.

Rain Man
04-20-2011, 06:06 PM
It closes for the month of February. Then what?!?

February would be a long month, I'm afraid.

The other oddity was that I couldn't find a pizza place there. There was one place on the edge of town that seemed so expensive that I didn't go there, and maybe there was another place that was far enough away that I feared getting eaten by bears. So I didn't have pizza and then couldn't get any pizza for another three weeks after that. Pizza is apparently quite rare in rural Alaska.

Jewish Rabbi
04-20-2011, 06:13 PM

Getting angry that a white knight isn't coming to your rescue today?

TrebMaxx
04-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Austin: Future Home of the United States Formula 1 Grand Prix!

Hell yeah! Can't wait. Never missed a race when they were at Indy. :thumb:

MIAdragon
04-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Oahu.

JD10367
04-20-2011, 10:05 PM
The only cities on that list I've been to (aside from Boston, where I grew up) are L.A., Orlando, Vegas, and NYC. And I wouldn't live in any of those four. So, aside from Boston, I picked Chicago (seems like a good large city) and Seattle (seems like good nature in that corner).

luv
04-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Getting angry that a white knight isn't coming to your rescue today?

Yes, because I've relied on them so heavily for the past 6 1/2 years.

acesn8s
04-21-2011, 06:48 AM
KC - family
Orlando- It's FL and I love it down there.
OKC - Halfway between parents and children.

BigMeatballDave
04-21-2011, 07:39 AM
WTF is Seattle doing in second? In reality it's in 1st, being that most ppl live close to KC and are biased. Las Vegas should be #1 by far.Vegas? :spock: Why? BTW, Brainiac, this isnt a BEST CITY poll, its where would you want to be, so bias had nothing to do with it. Most of the voters live in the KC area, or have in the past. I'd imagine most are basing this on their current situation. If I could afford it, I'd have several homes across the country.

BigMeatballDave
04-21-2011, 07:43 AM
I am shocked! Shocked, I tell you, that no one has mentioned a city in Ohio!

WTF is your problem luv? How could you possibly leave out Ohio?

alnorth
04-21-2011, 07:46 AM
KC - Proximity to Chiefs/Royals. My dream situation would be to have a second home there, splitting time between KC and somewhere else.

Phoenix - Well, not in Phoenix, maybe 50/100 miles to the north. Beautiful deserts without being too hot, easy access to spring training, easy access to Vegas, less or no light pollution so you can actually see the night sky.

Dallas/Ft. Worth - Taxes

luv
04-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Vegas? :spock: Why? BTW, Brainiac, this isnt a BEST CITY poll, its where would you want to be, so bias had nothing to do with it. Most of the voters live in the KC area, or have in the past. I'd imagine most are basing this on their current situation. If I could afford it, I'd have several homes across the country.

Agreed. My favorite cities to visit (so far) are probably Memphis and Chicago. However, I wouldn't want to live in either of those cities.

SuperChief
04-21-2011, 10:14 AM
In order:

New York City - I love this city. In fact, I'm in the planning stages of moving there after I get done with school (any tips from people who have lived there are much appreciated!). This city has so much to offer - incredible nightlife, great variety of eating establishments, lofty career goals, etc. I can't wait to get out there.

Los Angeles - I don't see the hate for LA as per some previous posts. Out of the times I've visited LA for business and pleasure, I've always had very positive experiences. Maybe it's my big-city attitutde that gives me some bias. Anyway, I would love to live in LA (although I'm not a big fan of the heat).

KC - I've always loved KC. With the addition of P&L, it's gotten even better, IMO. It not only hosts my two favorite teams (Chiefs, Royals), but it also has some amazing attractions that I adore as well (the Nelson, Sprint Center, P&L, etc).

Outside the US:

London - I would be absolutely thrilled to move here. Even though it's EXTREMELY expensive to rent here (even higher than NYC and San Fran), I still love everything about that place.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-21-2011, 10:28 AM
KC... near where I grew up, friends and family there, I can go to a Royals game whenever I want.

Seattle... Because I like Seattle

Chicago... Because I like Chicago, although I hate all their sports teams so that would be tough.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-21-2011, 10:29 AM

Because Seattle is awesome and not only would I never want to live in Vegas, I'm not even interested in visiting.

luv
04-21-2011, 10:32 AM
I chose KC, Orlando, and New Orleans.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-21-2011, 10:44 AM
I chose KC, Orlando, and New Orleans.

I almost went the exact same 3 but I thought Orlando might be a little too touristy... yes I've been there... and I loved New Orleans when I was there but a lot of it (it seems) is depressed, and they have no baseball team.

luv
04-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I almost went the exact same 3 but I thought Orlando might be a little too touristy... yes I've been there... and I loved New Orleans when I was there but a lot of it (it seems) is depressed, and they have no baseball team.

Never mind....

Misread post the first time.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Never mind....

Misread post the first time.

I can't nevermind because I don't know what I'm neverminding so now I mind.

ModSocks
04-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Because Seattle is awesome and not only would I never want to live in Vegas, I'm not even interested in visiting.

You wouldn't visit Vegas? WTF? That's gotta be the first time i've ever heard that.

Talk about prude....

luv
04-21-2011, 10:59 AM
You wouldn't visit Vegas? WTF? That's gotta be the first time i've ever heard that.

Talk about prude....

You have to be prude to not be into gambling? That's the first time I've heard that.

ModSocks
04-21-2011, 11:00 AM
You have to be prude to not be into gambling? That's the first time I've heard that.

Who says you have to gamble in Vegas? There is much more to Vegas than just gambling. I hate gambling but love Vegas.

luv
04-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Who says you have to gamble in Vegas? There is much more to Vegas than just gambling. I hate gambling but love Vegas.

Okay, but, considering gambling is the main appeal, one could conclude that, if one is not into gambling, then Vegas might not be appealing to that person.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-21-2011, 11:02 AM

Talk about prude....

prude lol..... not even a little bit.

I'm not saying I wouldn't visit Vegas. I wouldn't refuse to go if I needed to go... I just wouldn't choose it in my top 12,986 places to visit. But if I ever get to 12,987 on my list I'M THERE!

blaise
04-21-2011, 11:04 AM
I have no desire to go to Vegas either, and I'm no prude or straight laced kind of guy.

Easy 6
04-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Somewhere warm near either ocean, but not a big city, some small town by the water in Florida maybe, maybe the gulf.

LOVE to visit the big city, dont wanna live there.

ModSocks
04-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Okay, but, considering gambling is the main appeal, one could conclude that, if one is not into gambling, then Vegas might not be appealing to that person.

Uhm...no.

Gambling does not appeal to me. Vegas does. People gamble is Vegas because it's there, but that's not WHY people go. At least not the people I know.

It's about the night life. The hotels are sights to behold all in themselves. All the bars and drinks, live bands all over the place. Walking down the street sipping a big ass drink wrapped around your neck.

Not to mention all the bajillion shows, great resturants and buffets all over the freaking place.

Vegas is just a cool place to visit. Gambling or not.

ModSocks
04-21-2011, 11:12 AM
I have no desire to go to Vegas either, and I'm no prude or straight laced kind of guy.

Ever been?

Do you enjoy the night life in your home town?

ModSocks
04-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Somewhere warm near either ocean, but not a big city, some small town by the water in Florida maybe, maybe the gulf.

LOVE to visit the big city, dont wanna live there.

North County SD. Trust me, you'd love it. Nothing but perfect weather and small town beach life.

It's not till you get to Central San Diego do you start experiencing the hectic city life. Even then, it doesn't compare to L.A and the like.

Easy 6
04-21-2011, 11:17 AM
North County SD. Trust me, you'd love it. Nothing but perfect weather and small town beach life.

Sounds perfect.

blaise
04-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Ever been?

Do you enjoy the night life in your home town?

No, I've never been. There seems to be plenty of stuff to do in Dallas. If I need to see a music act or a play or something, we get plenty here. I don't gamble much, so I don't know why I'd bother going there.

ModSocks
04-21-2011, 12:05 PM
No, I've never been. There seems to be plenty of stuff to do in Dallas. If I need to see a music act or a play or something, we get plenty here. I don't gamble much, so I don't know why I'd bother going there.

Good.

I know it may not be on your list of places to visit, but i know you'd enjoy it. We have a great night life here in SD, but it pales in comparison to Vegas.

There is so much to see, do , drink and eat it's almost overwhelming.

I can't wait till I get my fat bonus. I'm going back to Vegas again. The Hotels are freakin' incredible.

Hell, if you find the right hotel, you won't need to leave it. When i use to go with our shop to the SEMA show, we found a hotel off the strip for $65.00 a night.

Inside this hotel was an Arena, 14 screen movie theater, 9 restaurants, 1 buffet, Arcade, couple of swimming pools, day spa etc etc.

Fuck...i wanna sip a margarita and lay out by the pool right now.....

Bugeater
04-21-2011, 12:11 PM

Talk about prude....
Now you're going to hear it for the 3rd time. Don't really care about night life as I'm a day person.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Now you're going to hear it for the 3rd time. Don't really care about night life as I'm a day person.

This was kind of where I was going with not being interested much in Vegas myself. I have no moral opposition to gambling, I just don't find it fun. I don't care about nightlife a lot so that isn't a selling point for me. Fancy hotels... ok, not gonna get me there... big pretty lights and lots of food... gotta do better. I'm sure Vegas is a lovely place, I just haven't found a reason to be excited about it for myself.

I'm more of a ballgame, museum, something fun with my kid, R&R person when I go somewhere.

ct
04-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Chicago
Denver (love mountains, would probably sub in Tahoe instead to avoid free range donkeys)
Seattle

KC's already a 2nd home, have family up there.
Austin, TX should be in that list, probably slot it #3.

Bearcat
04-21-2011, 12:41 PM
I've known a few people that lived in Vegas who said they hated living there... I've never been there, but it seems like it would be one giant tourist trap with no pro sports or much else besides night life (meaning, a great place to visit, but not live). I'm not a big fan of touristy towns. :shrug:

Mr. Flopnuts
04-21-2011, 12:43 PM
I voted for where I came from, where I came too, and Vegas. Soooooo much to do there.

Easy 6
04-21-2011, 12:43 PM
I've known a few people that lived in Vegas who said they hated living there... I've never been there, but it seems like it would be one giant tourist trap with no pro sports or much else besides night life (meaning, a great place to visit, but not live). I'm not a big fan of touristy towns. :shrug:

My dad lived there for 3 years, loved the endless variety of activities but ended up moving because of the ridiculous level of violent crime.

HonestChieffan
04-21-2011, 12:49 PM
I've lived in Denver and Indy. Would not do either again for any reason. Denver is a dump.

I would consider Charleston SC and areas around there.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-21-2011, 12:51 PM
I've lived in Denver and Indy. Would not do either again for any reason. Denver is a dump.

I would consider Charleston SC and areas around there.

That's funny. I call it the cleanest dump in America.

Bugeater
04-21-2011, 12:52 PM
lol @ calling Denver a dump. And damn you for making me defend that city.

ModSocks
04-21-2011, 12:52 PM

Yeah, I listed Vegas as a place to live, but i can see where you're coming from. Outside of the strip, Vegas is fugly and full of nothing but track housing. Every strip mall looks identical.

eazyb81
04-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Am I the only one shocked that Seattle is leading this poll (ex-KC)?

I wonder how many people voting for Seattle have actually been there.

It's a fine city, but I've always been pretty "meh" about it. What's the argument for Seattle?

Otter
04-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I just want to let Luv know how appalled and angry I am that she didn't mention Tenny, Minnesota in her poll. Big shot Luv too good for us.

Well screw you Luv! We're people just like you with feelings and pride. :cuss:

Buck
04-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Denver is the only city I've ever been to that I'd consider leaving San Diego for.

Rausch
04-21-2011, 02:21 PM
I think a lot of the voting is unfair due to not having been there.

Bearcat
04-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Am I the only one shocked that Seattle is leading this poll (ex-KC)?

I wonder how many people voting for Seattle have actually been there.

It's a fine city, but I've always been pretty "meh" about it. What's the argument for Seattle?

I'm surprised, because people who really like it there tend to talk about how it's a very underrated city, "the country's biggest secret," etc. I was there last Fall and really enjoyed the area. Stayed next to the Needle for Bumbershoot, went to Pioneer Square/Pike Market, the U District, and Capitol Hill, which were all very walkable and had good public transportation. We spent a day at Olympic National Park, and I'm not a huge nature person, but I really enjoyed it.

As far as the daily grind.... I get tired of KC's Spring, because just the other day it was like 40 degrees at 5pm, and I just want it to be hot... so that would be annoying in Seattle, but there's also not much extreme cold or hot weather. I'd probably have to live in the city, and after seeing the traffic going north from Tacoma when we were going south to Olympic National Park, there's no way I'd live down there or put up with traffic like that on a daily basis.

For the first/only time in my life, I was asked if I needed a place to smoke crack, so the people are friendly.... ;)

SDChiefs
04-21-2011, 02:52 PM

It's not till you get to Central San Diego do you start experiencing the hectic city life. Even then, it doesn't compare to L.A and the like.

This x's 1000. Encinitas would be perfect.

sd4chiefs
04-21-2011, 04:04 PM

The only problem is the cost of living. A 2 bedroom, 2 bath, condo in Encinitas will run you about $300k.

Alton deFlat
04-22-2011, 07:44 AM
I think a lot of the voting is unfair due to not having been there.

True. Of the three I voted for, I hadn't really been to two of them. I guess I have been the Atlanta, but only the airport, so you can't really count that. Of the other ones I've been to.

Dallas: Wouldn't hate it, but wouldn't want o try to get around the city. Always seems very FAST paced.

KC: I voted for it, and like many different parts of the city. Plaza, downtown / city market, Brookside, etc. Plus, LOVE the BBQ!!!!

Vegas: Too tourist oriented. I don't really look at it as a place to live.

LA: No thanks. Too damn big.

Memphis: Some of it seems very nice. Germantown area. Others?

New Orleans: Another no thanks. Just couldn't do it. Would probably always be waiting for another Katrina.

Oklahoma City: Not a bad place at all. Not too far from family. I could live there.

Orlando: Another tourist destination, but does seem a little more livable than Vegas.

Phoenix: Been there several times, and kinda like it. Every time has been in the summer. It's a huge city, but still has kind of a small town feel.

DC: Lots to see and do, but would absolutely hate the traffic.

Rams Fan
04-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Milwaukee is kinda awesome, except for the weather.