PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Dessert Warfare: Round 1, Match 3

Rain Man
04-25-2011, 09:04 AM
What're you in the mood for? Vote one per pair.

Hammock Parties
04-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Chocolate chip cookies all the way to the finals.

Rain Man
04-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Candy Bacon and Glenmorangie Lasanta scotch? Both of them sound disgusting. I'd rather not have dessert. I guess I'll pick the bacon, but blegh.

Haagen Dazs Coffee Ice cream vs. Warm Spiced Apple Cake with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream. I don't like the taste of coffee at all, so warm spiced apple cake wins by default, even though I'm not wild about it.

Pumpkin Pie vs. Vanilla Ice Cream with Chocolate Syrup. I'm not a pumpkin pie fan, though it's not putrid. Vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup is pretty good even if not overly gourmet, so I'm going with that.

Peach Crisp vs. Chocolate Chip Cookies, No Nuts. I like peach crisp, and it's probably a more valid dessert than chocolate chip cookies, but chocolate chip cookies rock. Going with the cookies and I'll worry about dessert traditions later.

luv
04-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Candy Bacon and Glenmorangie Lasanta scotch? Both of them sound disgusting. I'd rather not have dessert. I guess I'll pick the bacon, but blegh.

Haagen Dazs Coffee Ice cream vs. Warm Spiced Apple Cake with Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream. I don't like the taste of coffee at all, so warm spiced apple cake wins by default, even though I'm not wild about it.

Pumpkin Pie vs. Vanilla Ice Cream with Chocolate Syrup. I'm not a pumpkin pie fan, though it's not putrid. Vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup is pretty good even if not overly gourmet, so I'm going with that.

Peach Crisp vs. Chocolate Chip Cookies, No Nuts. I like peach crisp, and it's probably a more valid dessert than chocolate chip cookies, but chocolate chip cookies rock. Going with the cookies and I'll worry about dessert traditions later.

Sounds like we voted the same way. I love Coffee Ice Cream, but it's not something that would really sell as much as Spiced Apple Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream, which also sounds heavenly. Completely agree with you on the first point.

patteeu
04-25-2011, 09:29 AM

As far as my taste buds are concerned, chocolate chip cookies have to have nuts in order to properly rock, but otherwise I agree with all of this including the revulsion caused by the first pair of options and the reluctant selection of candied bacon.

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Warm chocolate chip cookies are one of my favorites. Once they cool, they're just OK.

Old Dog
04-25-2011, 09:35 AM
I can buy off on your other options, but I had to go with Scotch over candy bacon.

WTF is candy bacon?
Whereas:
Glenmorangie Lasanta is an elegant and full-bodied single malt whisky that has been extra matured in Spanish Oloroso Sherry casks after a minimum of ten years in ex-bourbon casks. In Gaelic Lasanta means 'warmth and passion'. Its luscious, soft, mouth filling texture, and its deep, enticing, sweet aromas and taste appeal to those who like to experiment and whose confident choices inspire the mood of an occasion.

Stewie
04-25-2011, 09:46 AM
I've only eaten a small percentage of the desserts described in any of these elimination rounds. I imagine when it gets down to the finals the desserts will be more familiar to me... or maybe not.

Predarat
04-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Peach Crisp got screwed! Chocolate Chip Cookies is a stallwort and should have been paired with Candy Bacon.

HonestChieffan
04-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Pairings were just unfair.

Choc Chips Must have nuts.

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Pairings were just unfair.

Choc Chips Must have nuts.Must? Non-sense. I'll eat them with nuts, but you'll find a vast majority prefers them without.

patteeu
04-25-2011, 12:56 PM
Must? Non-sense. I'll eat them with nuts, but you'll find a vast majority prefers them without.

Chocolate chip w/ nuts are the cookie of the elite.

The Franchise
04-25-2011, 01:01 PM
I can buy off on your other options, but I had to go with Scotch over candy bacon.

WTF is candy bacon?
Whereas:
Glenmorangie Lasanta is an elegant and full-bodied single malt whisky that has been extra matured in Spanish Oloroso Sherry casks after a minimum of ten years in ex-bourbon casks. In Gaelic Lasanta means 'warmth and passion'. Its luscious, soft, mouth filling texture, and its deep, enticing, sweet aromas and taste appeal to those who like to experiment and whose confident choices inspire the mood of an occasion.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jtRMjk7giEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HonestChieffan
04-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Must? Non-sense. I'll eat them with nuts, but you'll find a vast majority prefers them without.

Like a gun with no ammo.

Rain Man
04-26-2011, 10:41 AM
The scotch, coffee ice cream, vanilla ice cream, and peach crisp shoulder their first loss.

Amnorix
04-26-2011, 12:45 PM
errr...regarding Glenmorangie Lasanta scotch -- that's just a scotch right? A drink? While I get after-dinner drinks, seems odd to have it in a "dessert" competition.

And besides, I like scotch fine, but give me Drambuie... :D

Rain Man
04-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I was really torn about having the alcoholic beverages in here, but I do occasionally see things like port wine on dessert menus. My hope is that they'll go down in flames quickly.

mlyonsd
04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
FWIW every dessert my wife makes now has some kind of liquor in it.

KurtCobain
04-26-2011, 10:15 PM
I can't believe you put candy bacon, the most amazing dessert ever against a drink. It won, right?