PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs McCluster definitely moving to RB full-time

Pages : [1] 2

The Franchise
04-27-2011, 09:41 AM
www.rotoworld.com

Beat writer Bob Gretz suggests the Chiefs will, in fact, move Dexter McCluster to running back full time.

Coach Todd Haley hinted in February that McCluster would be more of a third-down back than slot receiver. Gretz suggests McCluster could also be used in a "flash-dash duo" with Jamaal Charles. We still have a hard time envisioning enough weekly touches for McCluster to

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Speculation until confirmed.

When confirmed, march on Arrowhead with pitchforks.

MTG#10
04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Wow if this is true that was a wasted pick. What happened to his "incredible separation" and "amazing hands"?

Frazod
04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
McMidget is starting to smell like a wasted pick.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 09:44 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/Thereaper16/2vjso51jpg.gif

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 09:45 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjsRXhe_n52JOulbnHJT1c8VuSRTAEj1NkD3cQyDTi_SC-BltWQA&t=1

ModSocks
When confirmed, march on Arrowhead with pitchforks.

Why? I like the idea.

And don't give me that whole "we need a power back on 3rd down" speech. I think that's bullshit.

El Jefe
Wow if this is true that was a wasted pick. What happened to his "incredible separation" and "amazing hands"?

QFT

siberian khatru
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj154/dirtwizard/worf.gif

kstater
04-27-2011, 09:46 AM
2 back sets with either coming out in motion or screens.

ModSocks

How is it a wasted pick? A 2nd RB on a running team is a wasted pick?

BigCatDaddy
If it means less touches for Jones I'm all for it.

BigMeatballDave
Here's where everyones vagina starts bleeding...

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 09:47 AM
2 back sets with either coming out in motion or screens.

This. Haley can get so creative with these two guys in backfield. They showed glimpses of it last season.

I don't want them to stuff a big, slow back in the backfield when Charles comes out. They need a shifty, fast replacement so our offense doesn't miss a beat.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 09:48 AM
The 1st of many kneejerk reactions on the Planet this week.

Discuss Thrower
04-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Soooo they think he can survive as a rotational RB?

That sounds like a great plan. I hope defensive backfields lose 20% of their speed and strength by the start of the season.

QuikSsurfer
04-27-2011, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't mind it... The midget has skillz.. and this means less for T Jones (I don't care if he's shredded up).

DaKCMan AP
04-27-2011, 09:49 AM
He was used, very successfully, out of the backfield in college. He's tough enough to run in between the tackles and will thrive on screens and motioning out of the backfield.

Dante84
04-27-2011, 09:50 AM
I don't give a rats ass. As long as we get him the ball and some room to move, yards are yards.

Sitting there waiting on Cassel's pass is when he would get crushed by the defense.

Run some "Priest" sweeps if the defense has a weak spot, use as a decoy to open shit up.... I don't care really.

Ebolapox
04-27-2011, 09:51 AM
fuck, as long as he's productive, I could give a fuck less which position he plays.

BigCatDaddy
04-27-2011, 09:51 AM
He was used, very successfully, out of the backfield in college. He's tough enough to run in between the tackles and will thrive on screens and motioning out of the backfield.

But SEC Lineman only weight 220 lbs/ CP

Chiefnj2
04-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Don't believe anything the week before the draft.

Rumor could be true, or it could be a smokescreen to make other teams think KC has a bigger need for WR and/or smaller need for a RB.

Dante84
04-27-2011, 09:52 AM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hb-chWh64Dc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish
04-27-2011, 09:53 AM
How is it a wasted pick? A 2nd RB on a running team is a wasted pick?

He was drafted as a slot WR/KR/Gadget guy to begin with. Now he's allegedly being moved to a strictly RB position.

As a high 2nd, that doesn't bother you any? Cause it really bothers me....

Reerun_KC
This will bring out the cry babies...

As long as he is touching the ball on screens and motion out of the backfield, then its a good idea..

ModSocks
Personally, I wanna see them draft Taiwan Jones or Daniel Thomas. I think both would be great compliments to Charles.

When ever we took Charles out, the D got a breather. Fuck that. Keep them on their heels with another explosive home run hitter.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Why? I like the idea.

Because McCluster isn't capable of being a #2 RB.

If he's being moved to RB it means he's going to be a full-time gimmick instead of a guy who can start, which is what his draft position dictates he do.

This McCluster pick is going to look worse and worse as the years go on. Arellious Benn is going to be a good player in Tampa, Golden Tate will probably be a decent slot guy at the very least, Brandon LaFell has potential, so does Jordan Shipley, and of course Mike Williams. All wide receivers taken after McCluster...who was taken by a team desperately in need of a wide receiver...and who tried to play wide receiver as a rookie...and failed.

Reerun_KC
04-27-2011, 09:55 AM

If he's being moved to RB it means he's going to be a full-time gimmick instead of a guy who can start, which is what his draft position dictates he do.

This McCluster pick is going to look worse and worse as the years go on. Arellious Benn is going to be a good player in Tampa, Golden Tate will probably be a decent slot guy at the very least, Brandon LaFell has potential, so does Jordan Shipley, and of course Mike Williams. All wide receivers taken after McCluster...who was taken by a team desperately in need of a wide receiver...and who tried to play wide receiver as a rookie...and failed.

Says the guy who is a fraud of a journalist wanna be?

eazyb81
04-27-2011, 09:55 AM

Yeah, it's like no one even watched him tear teams up at Ole Miss.

He wasn't doing it split out wide.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 09:56 AM
He was drafted as a slot WR/KR/Gadget guy to begin with. Now he's allegedly being moved to a strictly RB position.

As a high 2nd, that doesn't bother you any? Cause it really bothers me....http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThjA6rNweegt_sU8edkQqu7Su8aBxNHXijjvRWC75nO7y5xD5Ofg&t=1

Reerun_KC

But but he failed and is a wasted pick... the brain trusts say so...

ModSocks

As a high 2nd, that doesn't bother you any? Cause it really bothers me....

Doesn't bother me at all. IMO, a good 2nd back is just as important as a good slot receiver. And for this team, it might be more important.

We saw flashes of what he can do. He made the big play. He is a playmaker. It sucks that he had several of them taken back for stupid penalties, but I don't have any doubts that he can be valuable at RB.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Doesn't bother me at all. IMO, a good 2nd back is just as important as a good slot receiver.

He's not going to be a #2 RB. His body isn't capable of taking 150 carries. And neither is our turnover ratio.

Reerun_KC
Doesn't bother me at all. IMO, a good 2nd back is just as important as a good slot receiver. And for this team, it might be more important.

We saw flashes of what he can do. He made the big play. He is a playmaker. It sucks that he had several of them taken back for stupid penalties, but I don't have any doubts that he can be valuable at RB.

I would love to see how they can use him out of the backfield in the screen game..

:drool:

QuikSsurfer
But SEC Lineman only weight 220 lbs/ CP

ROFL

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 09:58 AM

This McCluster pick is going to look worse and worse as the years go on. Arellious Benn is going to be a good player in Tampa, Golden Tate will probably be a decent slot guy at the very least, Brandon LaFell has potential, so does Jordan Shipley, and of course Mike Williams. All wide receivers taken after McCluster...who was taken by a team desperately in need of a wide receiver...and who tried to play wide receiver as a rookie...and failed.http://www.bilerico.com/2009/08/baby-crying.jpg

ChiefsCountry
So we got our Kevin Faulk. At least he has back at the position he should have been at originally. Still a wasted a pick.

DaKCMan AP

Yep - he WAS the offense while at Ole Miss and did it while mainly lined up at RB. Most of the detractors here have no clue about what they're saying or about McCluster's abilities.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 09:59 AM
He's not going to be a #2 RB. His body isn't capable of taking 150 carries. And neither is our turnover ratio.

If he isn't going to be the #2 back, then WTF is this thread about? He's going to be on the field and he's going to make plays. That's all that matters. I don't give a shit where he is playing.

The Franchise
04-27-2011, 10:00 AM
I would love to see how they can use him out of the backfield in the screen game..

What makes you think they're going to start running screens now? Did Haley run screens when he was calling plays? Shit....we have Charles in the backfield and they barely call fucking screens.

Hammock Parties
If he isn't going to be the #2 back, then WTF is this thread about? He's going to be on the field and he's going to make plays. That's all that matters. I don't give a shit where he is playing.

He will probably contribute 400 yards of offense a year.

That's just orgasmically awesome.

QuikSsurfer
Yep - he WAS the offense while at Ole Miss and did it while mainly lined up at RB. Most of the detractors here have no clue about what they're saying or about McCluster's abilities.

I watched, from the stands, as McCluster tormented opposing defenses. You're right, he was the offense.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 10:01 AM

I can think of two plays where he was targeted out of the backfield:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2m5AR7fja50" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BhgDhAg9x-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

suzzer99
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Dante Hall started pretty slow as well. While possibly not living up to everyone's highest expectations after game 1, McCluster is already ahead of that pace. And he was injured a good chunk of last year.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 10:03 AM

How about this gem:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SLErrvgSfSQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SLErrvgSfSQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

the Talking Can
04-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Hootie was right

McCluster is Wes Welker

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 10:04 AM

400 yards a year for a non starter is pretty fucking good in conjunction with what Bowe, Charles, WR #2 and Moeaki will bring.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Dante Hall started pretty slow as well. While possibly not living up to everyone's highest expectations after game 1, McCluster is already ahead of that pace. And he was injured a good chunk of last year.

5th round pick

No comparison.

Hammock Parties
400 yards a year for a non starter is pretty fucking horrible for a guy drafted in the 2nd round

FYP

the Talking Can
we spent the 36th pick in the deepest draft in years on a WR who has now been moved to backup RB....

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 10:06 AM
GC and OTWP need to change their tampons.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 10:06 AM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2m5AR7fja50" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BhgDhAg9x-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You know damn well anyone would've been lit up on those plays. Both Asante and Ed were running into the play at full speed. Come on OTWP, you're better than that dude.

And McCluster still popped right up. Weak Sauce.

the Talking Can
04-27-2011, 10:07 AM

he got his ass destroyed running between the tackles....

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 10:07 AM
GC and OTWP need to change their tampons.

Or, you could kindly go fuck yourself.

This is a football discussion board, (or at least it used to be) and we're talking football.

Don't like it?

Put me on ignore.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 10:08 AM
How about this gem:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SLErrvgSfSQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SLErrvgSfSQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

Wow!

Ray Lewis forced a Fumble!

Gee Golly, I don't think I've EVER seen a HOF LB force a fumble before. Thanks GC!

patteeu
04-27-2011, 10:09 AM

RBs can be targets in the passing game too (e.g. Brian Westbrook). 3rd down backs, in particular.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Wow!

Gee Golly, I don't think I've EVER seen a HOF LB force a fumble before. Thanks GC!

It happened because McCluster was too stupid and not strong enough to secure the ball on a play that was going nowhere.

McCluster is a shrimp and he got raped by a bigger man.

He is going to be everyone's bitch if he's working out of the backfield constantly...he is going to be raped by gorillas on a regular basis.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Or, you could kindly go fuck yourself.

This is a football discussion board, (or at least it used to be) and we're talking football.

Don't like it?

Put me on ignore.LMAO You guys are freaking the fuck out over something that hasnt actually occurred.

JFC Let it play out and see what happens before having a cow.

Reerun_KC
Wow!

Shit even Charles put the ball on the ground that game being a dumbass...

Hell there were several key moments that he put the ball on the ground last year...

More fraud statements...

DaKCMan AP
he got his ass destroyed running between the tackles....

18 total (inside & outside) carries is too small of a sample size to make any conclusions. He did it very successfully against SEC defenses without much other offensive support.

Fish

WTF? How could you possibly think that? Compare last year's team. Look at the WR group compared to the RB group and tell me how a 3rd down back was more important to the team than a WR.

Seriously.... compare the groups minus Dex and tell me which group is more in need of quality additions..

Hell we had to sign a WR off the street to play in a playoff game last year.

Reerun_KC
04-27-2011, 10:12 AM
LMAO You guys are freaking the **** out over something that hasnt actually occurred.

the knee jerk reaction is priceless....

Hammock Parties
Shit even Charles put the ball on the ground that game being a dumbass...

We can excuse that because he had 2,000 yards from scrimmage.

McCluster's career will probably be over before he gets to 2,000 yards from scrimmage.

OnTheWarpath15
You know damn well anyone would've been lit up on those plays. Both Asante and Ed were running into the play at full speed. Come on OTWP, you're better than that dude.

And McCluster still popped right up. Weak Sauce.

Nothing weak about it.

JC barely survived limited carries, and weighs 30 pounds more than Dex.

Hell, Dex didn't even survive the season last year taking licks like those from CB's and Safeties. Taking those shots 10 times a game from LB's that outweigh him by 100 pounds?

Dude's not going to hold up.

And another thing: Had I told you on draft day we were going to take a RB with a high R2 pick - in the deepest draft in years - the majority of this board would have been fucking furious.

You all look ridiculous trying to rationalize the pick after the fact.

DaKCMan AP
04-27-2011, 10:13 AM
It happened because McCluster was too stupid and not strong enough to secure the ball on a play that was going nowhere.

McCluster is a shrimp and he got raped by a bigger man.

He is going to be everyone's bitch if he's working out of the backfield constantly...he is going to be raped by gorillas on a regular basis.

Jamal Charles also fumbled in the playoff game against the Ravens. I'm guessing your reason for his fumble isn't based upon claims of stupidity and lack of strength?

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 10:13 AM
LMAO You guys are freaking the fuck out over something that hasnt actually occurred.

Who's freaking out?

I'm commenting that IMO, it's a stupid fucking decision.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 10:14 AM
WTF? How could you possibly think that? Compare last year's team. Look at the WR group compared to the RB group and tell me how a 3rd down back was more important to the team than a WR.

Seriously.... compare the groups minus Dex and tell me which group is more in need of quality additions..

Hell we had to sign a WR off the street to play in a playoff game last year.

I said Slot receiver. Not WR2.

This team will use a 2nd back far more often than its slot WR. This is a running team. As long as Cassel is the QB, it always will be.

the Talking Can
18 total (inside & outside) carries is too small of a sample size to make any conclusions. He did it very successfully against SEC defenses without much other offensive support.

don't give a crap what he did in college, and neither does anyone playing defense in the NFL

he got his ass planted without space to maneuver....

and we already have a RB who can do everything McCluster supposedly does, only better...who in their right fucking mind would take charles out on 3rd down to put in our "3rd down back"?

Sofa King
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm27/Boyd506/Tommy_Boy_fight2.gif

Reerun_KC
04-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Who's freaking out?

I'm commenting that IMO, it's a stupid ****ing decision.

Do something about it, instead of brow beating us with your knowledge...

Hammock Parties
This team will use a 2nd back far more often than its slot WR.

McCluster is physically incapable of playing #2 RB.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
Badass. See ya Jones... Thanks for the rental.

OnTheWarpath15
don't give a crap what he did in college, and neither does anyone playing defense in the NFL

and we already have a RB who can do everything McCluster supposedly does, only better...who in their right fucking mind would take charles out on 3rd down to put in our "3rd down back"?

No shit.

DaKCMan AP
04-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Hell, Dex didn't even survive the season last year taking licks like those from CB's and Safeties. Taking those shots 10 times a game from LB's that outweigh him by 100 pounds?

So his high ankle sprain injury was due to his smaller build?

Chiefnj2
How about this gem:

Nice pass by Cassell.

Fish
I said Slot receiver. Not WR2.

This team will use a 2nd back far more often than its slot WR. This is a running team. As long as Cassel is the QB, it always will be.

But Dex is the 3rd back. You know... behind Charles and Jones....

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Badass. See ya Jones... Thanks for the rental.

LMAO

Yes, McCluster is going to take 245 carries.

B_Ambuehl
04-27-2011, 10:17 AM
I thought all along Charles would end up leaving in free agency and Dex would take over for him as scatback. Charles got extended so that really doesn't leave any place for Dex. Hate to say it but his best value is tradebait. He can be a 3rd RB, but in that role he's the exact same player Charles is running the exact same plays. he's just not as good. It's hard enough getting 1 scatback carries but 2 fuhgetabout it. Trade him to a football team that needs a good 3rd down back and try to get something in return.

patteeu
04-27-2011, 10:18 AM
So his high ankle sprain injury was due to his smaller build?

Hell yes. On a regular sized person, it would have been a low ankle sprain.

Mama Hip Rockets
If it means less touches for Jones I'm all for it.

+1

Priest31kc
I wanted to draft 2 WRs in the first 4-5 rounds before this.....now I definitely want to. We need an outside guy, and now a slot guy.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Nothing weak about it.

JC barely survived limited carries, and weighs 30 pounds more than Dex.

And another thing: Had I told you on draft day we were going to take a RB with a high R2 pick - in the deepest draft in years - the majority of this board would have been ****ing furious.

You all look ridiculous trying to rationalize the pick after the fact.

JC barely survived? Says who? He was still popping off big runs at the end of the season and showed no signs of wear and tear. You just pulled that out of your ass.

And those "CB's and Safeties" aren't just any DBs. Those were two of the best in the game and Cassel hung Dexter out to dry. Period. Charles would've been lit the fuck on either of those plays. Moeaki would've gotten his bell wrung. Like i said, weak.

I'm not trying to rationalize shit. I think it' much more of a matter of you and GC being irrational.

But GC is irrational. That's how he gets is attention. The whole board knows that. So you pairing with him just makes YOU look ridiculous.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 10:20 AM
You all look ridiculous trying to rationalize the pick after the fact.You guys have done nothing but slam the pick since day one. He hasnt played a full season and hes already a bust.

I recall you freaking out when Pioli cut Pollard.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 10:20 AM
But Dex is the 3rd back. You know... behind Charles and Jones....

Jones? C'mon now. If this "moving McCluster to RB" thing is true, then we clearly know how they feel about Jones coming into this season.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 10:21 AM
He hasnt played a full season and hes already a bust.

How else would you describe a slot WR who is moved to #3 RB?

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 10:23 AM
But GC is irrational.

Can you explain how Dexter is going to live up to his draft potential as a #3 RB?

Fish
04-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Jones? C'mon now. If this "moving McCluster to RB" thing is true, then we clearly know how they feel about McCluster coming into this season.

FYP...

Point is, WR is a much bigger position of need right now. And the gadgetguy they drafted high in the 2nd round last year has allegedly been relieved of trying to fill that need.

Hydrae
04-27-2011, 10:25 AM

Which is about 450 yards more than you could contribute. :deevee:

ModSocks

and we already have a RB who can do everything McCluster supposedly does, only better...who in their right ****ing mind would take charles out on 3rd down to put in our "3rd down back"?

Why do so many still get caught up in the idea that you can only have one scat back and we MUST have a power back? I'd rather have a team of home run hitters. Maybe that's just me. I like playmakers i guess.

And no one would take Charles out on 3rd down unless he needed it. Which is what we're talking about here. Finding a back equal to Charles' skill set is going to be damn near impossible. Comparing Dex to Charles isn't fair.

DJ's left nut
This. Haley can get so creative with these two guys in backfield. They showed glimpses of it last season.

I don't want them to stuff a big, slow back in the backfield when Charles comes out. They need a shifty, fast replacement so our offense doesn't miss a beat.

Most teams are able to get backup scat-backs in the 4th or 5th round. And when forego the NT your defense desperately needs in favor of said scat back with the 34th overall pick, you've done something horrifyingly stupid.

It was an awful pick when it was made, it's an even worse one now. The amount of talent available in that 2nd round was truly staggering and we took a goddamn midget that can't play the position we had hoped for him.

And the best defense we can come up with is that it allows Haley, who was absolutely incompetent when calling plays 2 season ago, to be more creative in his offense. Yeah, that's gonna work out well.

The pick was a disaster.

Bewbies
04-27-2011, 10:26 AM

I'm quoting this in case anyone missed it. The guy was a MONSTER out of the backfield at Ole Miss.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
If only we coulda drafted Golden Tate or DeSean Jackson light in the third...

Hammock Parties
Which is about 450 yards more than you could contribute. :deevee:

So McCluster is more talented than message board posters....

Best #36 pick ever.

OnTheWarpath15
JC barely survived? Says who? He was still popping off big runs at the end of the season and showed no signs of wear and tear. You just pulled that out of your ass.

And those "CB's and Safeties" aren't just any DBs. Those were two of the best in the game and Cassel hung Dexter out to dry. Period. Charles would've been lit the fuck on either of those plays. Moeaki would've gotten his bell wrung. Like i said, weak.

I'm not trying to rationalize shit. I think it' much more of a matter of you and GC being irrational.

But GC is irrational. That's how he gets is attention. The whole board knows that. So you pairing with him just makes YOU look ridiculous.

Pairing with him?

Dude has the same opinion I do. I'd bet there are others that share it as well.

There's nothing irrational about it - I'm not going to rationalize a pick just because the dude has an Arrowhead on his helmet now.

It was an average pick at best if the dude was going to be a slot WR.

It's a waste of a very high 2nd round pick to move him to RB full time at 5-nothing and 170 pounds.

Everyone wants to be excited over the kid because he made a 240 pound FB miss on a wet field on opening night and was never touched the rest of the way.

Everyone hates the pick when it was made BECAUSE he was listed as a RB. Everyone flipped the fuck out.

Then everyone rationalized the pick when they realized he'd be used as a slot WR.

Now he's back to a full-time RB, and y'all are tripping over yourselves trying to convince anyone that will listen that "the black Wes Welker" is now going to be the next Jamaal Charles.

It's pretty fucking comical to watch, actually.

I hope the kid proves me wrong. Since we're here to talk football and express opinions, however, my opinion is that he won't.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Can you explain how Dexter is going to live up to his draft potential as a #3 RB?

Why do you guys keep saying #3? You do know there is a difference between 3rd down back and #3 back, don't you?

And I know you don't seriously think Haley is going to just keep Dex on the bench.....He will be involved....far more than any #3 back would be.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 10:28 AM
You guys have done nothing but slam the pick since day one. He hasnt played a full season and hes already a bust.

I recall you freaking out when Pioli cut Pollard.

And some of you have done nothing but praise the pick since it was made.

Your point?

And I don't think I've ever said he was a bust.

I have said he wasn't worth that high of a pick.

BigMeatballDave
The pick was a disaster.Disaster? Really? A tad overstated, IMO.

the Talking Can
Why do so many still get caught up in the idea that you can only have one scat back and we MUST have a power back? I'd rather have a team of home run hitters. Maybe that's just me. I like playmakers i guess.

And no one would take Charles out on 3rd down unless he needed it. Which is what we're talking about here. Finding a back equal to Charles' skill set is going to be damn near impossible. Comparing Dex to Charles isn't fair.

read the post...Haley described him as a 3rd down back

he's a postionless player....a gadget...the 36th pick in the draft

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Most teams are able to get backup scat-backs in the 4th or 5th round. And when forego the NT your defense desperately needs in favor of said scat back with the 34th overall pick, you've done something horrifyingly stupid.

It was an awful pick when it was made, it's an even worse one now. The amount of talent available in that 2nd round was truly staggering and we took a goddamn midget that can't play the position we had hoped for him.

And the best defense we can come up with is that it allows Haley, who was absolutely incompetent when calling plays 2 season ago, to be more creative in his offense. Yeah, that's gonna work out well.

The pick was a disaster.

How dare you pair up with Clayton, you irrational bastard?

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Pairing with him?

Dude has the same opinion I do. I'd bet there are others that share it as well.

There's nothing irrational about it - I'm not going to rationalize a pick just because the dude has an Arrowhead on his helmet now.

It was an average pick at best if the dude was going to be a slot WR.

It's a waste of a very high 2nd round pick to move him to RB full time at 5-nothing and 170 pounds.

Everyone wants to be excited over the kid because he made a 240 pound FB miss on a wet field on opening night and was never touched the rest of the way.

Everyone hates the pick when it was made BECAUSE he was listed as a RB. Everyone flipped the **** out.

Then everyone rationalized the pick when they realized he'd be used as a slot WR.

Now he's back to a full-time RB, and y'all are tripping over yourselves trying to convince anyone that will listen that "the black Wes Welker" is now going to be the next Jamaal Charles.

It's pretty ****ing comical to watch, actually.

I hope the kid proves me wrong. Since we're here to talk football and express opinions, however, my opinion is that he won't.

Everyone started rationalizing the pick once they SAW what he could do on the field. Something that you and GC want to ignore.

The kid is a playmaker anyway you slice it. If you watched any Cheifs games, it was clear to see. He has home run potential and Haley will use him. That's all that matters.

Sfeihc
04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
I was pissed last year when I saw the Chiefs second round picks and nothing has changed to make me feel different. Both picks were EPIC wastes of second round picks especially on a team with so many needs. The only good part of those picks is that at the time I was on a bar crawl in the French Quarter so I was able to numb the pain.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 10:31 AM
And some of you have done nothing but praise the pick since it was made.

Your point?

And I don't think I've ever said he was a bust.

I have said he wasn't worth that high of a pick.I still think Dex has a lot of potential. Speed kills.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 10:31 AM
The kid is a playmaker anyway you slice it. If you watched any Cheifs games, it was clear to see.

LMAO

This is comical. He wasn't a playmaker. He made 3 or 4 great plays and the rest of the year he made the most exciting 3 and 4 yard catches in NFL history. His dreadlocks fluttered about wildly as he gained those 3 and 4 yards like a true stud.

The dude is NOT a playmaker. In the playoffs, he was a great big waste of touches.

patteeu
04-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Unrealistic expectations are fueling all this talk of bust. As long as the guy ends up being a solid contributor for a number of years, he'll be a successful pick. Sure you can get pro-bowlers at the top of the second round, but the vast majority of those selected in that part of the draft don't go on to become pro-bowlers. Whether he's ever a starter or not (and I doubt he will be whether he plays running back or slot receiver), as long as he's a solid contributor, I'll be satisfied with him.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Why do so many still get caught up in the idea that you can only have one scat back and we MUST have a power back?

4th and 6 inches called, and wants its toss-sweep back.

Listen, I'm not saying we HAVE to have a power back.

But if you watched this team AT ALL last year, you know that short yardage was a huge issue - and that's WITH Jones on the roster.

DJ's left nut
04-27-2011, 10:33 AM
the knee jerk reaction is priceless....

Explain how this is a knee jerk reaction?

When the pick was made, it was panned by many as a stupid luxury pick for a team that had pressing issues at NT, LB, QB and yes, WR. Instead we took a gimmicky scat-back that likely couldn't stay healthy who would struggle to find a regular role in the offense. We were informed that he was clearly going to be the #3 WR the team desperately needed (and that someone like Benn or Williams would be nowhere near as good as the elusive midget).

16 NFL regular season games and 1 post-season game later he has shown to be a guy that couldn't stay healthy and who we couldn't find a regular role in the offense. It also appears increasingly likely that he isn't going to be the #3 WR and most assuredly won't be better than most of the WRs taken after him.

It's not a knee-jerk reaction, it's a vindication. Those of us that hated this pick from the moment it was made have been right across the board. If you need to call it a knee-jerk reaction in order to make yourself feel better, so be it. But there's nothing knee-jerk about this; the angst over this pick has been a long time coming.

Brock
04-27-2011, 10:35 AM

But if you watched this team AT ALL last year, you know that short yardage was a huge issue - and that's WITH Jones on the roster.

Has more to do with the middle of the line being weak, imo.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 10:35 AM

"Slash & Dash Duo"

Meaning he will be getting plenty of carries. And just because a guy is labeled 3rd down back doesn't mean he actually comes in on 3rd down.

3rd down back is such a mislabled term.

Look, If he fails, fine. I'll eat crow. But i'm not going to sit here and write the kid off before he even gets a chance like some of you want too. That's irrational.

He showed flashes last season that he can be explosive. Lets see what he can do before we start bitching about him.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Explain how this is a knee jerk reaction?

Because none of us know exactly how he is going to be used.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 10:37 AM

Yeah, it's called an O-line that got it's shit pushed in. A back that averages 6.4 YPC can't get 1 yard?

Sounds like an O-line that failed when we needed it.

Sfeihc

That 4th and inches was a John Cooper move. I think their short yardage issues start upfront continue at the RB position and end with the coaching staff.

Fish
And just because a guy is labeled 3rd down back doesn't mean he actually comes in on 3rd down.

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/8080/wtf1g.gif

vailpass
04-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Broke into little pieces by week 8.

DJ's left nut
04-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Disaster? Really? A tad overstated, IMO.

The man we should've taken forced the fumble that ended the season for us last season when he pursued the RB from behind and stripped the ball.

We're still looking at getting a LBer with our 1st rounder who's not likely to be better than Washington out of TCU who was another guy we should've considered. Oh yeah, and that doesn't even get into the myriad of WRs that would've been great pickups for us last season at that spot that we passed on.

Yeah, I'd say that's a disaster. When you look at not only what he's been and where we took him, but also what the opportunity cost was in a very very deep draft, that pick has been a complete mess.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Everyone started rationalizing the pick once they SAW what he could do on the field. Something that you and GC want to ignore.

The kid is a playmaker anyway you slice it. If you watched any Cheifs games, it was clear to see. He has home run potential and Haley will use him. That's all that matters.

I'd like to see a list of all these plays that he supposedly made.

He made a 240 pound FB miss on a wet field, took advantage of piss-poor ST coverage and returned a punt for a TD.

He scored against SF after a LB took a shitty angle and whiffed. No one else was even in the area for the next 25 yards.

Those are the two biggest "plays" he made all year.

ChiTown
04-27-2011, 10:41 AM
I'd like to see EXACTLY how DMc is used this year before I vag out over all of this.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Meaning he will be getting plenty of carries.

LMAO

I love this crap...first it was Hootie saying it...now it's you....

McCluster might be able to take 5 or 6 carries a game without getting his ass destroyed and fumbling all over the place. That's less than 100 carries a year, and that's if he stays healthy for ALL 16 games.

The Chiefs ran the ball 556 times last year. Who is going to carry the ball the other 456 times? Not Charles. Let's say he gets 300 of those carries.

So you're left with another 156 carries. Those go to your #2 running back. And if your #2 running back is, you know, actually a good player, why would you want to take carries away from him and give them to a guy who can't even run between the tackles without getting destroyed?

McCluster is going to catch 30 passes for 300 yards out of the backfield next year and look exciting as fuck doing it...

patteeu
04-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Unrealistic expectations are fueling all this talk of bust. As long as the guy ends up being a solid contributor for a number of years, he'll be a successful pick. Sure you can get pro-bowlers at the top of the second round, but the vast majority of those selected in that part of the draft don't go on to become pro-bowlers. Whether he's ever a starter or not (and I doubt he will be whether he plays running back or slot receiver), as long as he's a solid contributor, I'll be satisfied with him.

OK, "vast" majority might have been a bit of an overstatement on my part, but it's a clear majority. I spot checked 5 years worth of draft (from 1996 to 2000) to see how the 36th overall pick +/- 2 picks (picks 34, 35, 36, 37, and 38) fared and found that 28% eventually made the pro bowl during their career. So, IMO, a solid contributor is what you should expect from that pick and if you end up with a pro-bowl quality player, you've exceeded expectations.

ModSocks
I'd like to see EXACTLY how DMc is used this year before I vag out over all of this.

Exactly.

Smells like draft season.....

Okie_Apparition
The "I was right all along" argument is so fucking shallow. I guess that's a good thing or half this board would have drown.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 10:44 AM
I'd like to see a list of all these plays that he supposedly made.

He made a 240 pound FB miss on a wet field, took advantage of piss-poor ST coverage and returned a punt for a TD.

He scored against SF after a LB took a shitty angle and whiffed. No one else was even in the area for the next 25 yards.

Those are the two biggest "plays" he made all year.

You know damn well what I'm talking about. Don't pretend like you didn't watch him. He had several big plays taken back.

DJ's left nut
04-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Because none of us know exactly how he is going to be used.

If he's used like a scat-back, it's a stupid pick.

You don't take gimmick scat-backs at 36 overall. Those can be had a hell of a lot later and we could have taken a NT, LB, real WR or any number of other holes we had last season that we're still trying to fill.

I don't care how he's being used if he's not being used as a slot WR. You don't take freakin' scat-backs that high.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
He had several big plays taken back.

He had ONE big play taken back all year.

ONE.

ModSocks
http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/8080/wtf1g.gif

Way to take my post out of context. They'll not only be using him on 3rd down. There. Better?

patteeu

I agree. You may not HAVE to have a power back, but it sure would be nice. Of course, the OL is a factor in that short yardage game too, but you've got to have a short yardage capability of some kind that hopefully doesn't involve throwing the ball.

ChiTown
04-27-2011, 10:46 AM
I don't care how he's being used if he's not being used as a slot WR. You don't take freakin' scat-backs that high.

That's water under the bridge. We have him. So, now the question is: How does he get used, and where is he most effective.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 10:46 AM
I agree. You may not HAVE to have a power back, but it sure would be nice. Of course, the OL is a factor in that short yardage game too, but you've got to have a short yardage capability of some kind that hopefully doesn't involve throwing the ball.

A back that avg's 6.4 YPC should be able to handle 4th and 1. It's an O-line failure.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 10:47 AM
You know damn well what I'm talking about. Don't pretend like you didn't watch him. He had several big plays taken back.

He had one play taken back, and it wouldn't have happened had there not been fouls on the play.

It's odd, I can remember the times he got blown up, or the times where he couldn't make a defender in the open field miss, but I'm struggling to remember all these "plays" some of you are claiming he made.

Hey Clayton, any chance you could produce the video of McCluster getting caught in the open field by George fucking Selvie in the Rams game?

DJ's left nut
04-27-2011, 10:48 AM
That's water under the bridge. We have him. So, now the question is: How does he get used, and where is he most effective.

And if that's your position, fine. But don't sit around and say this is some knee-jerk reaction by alarmists. This isn't; it's vindication of the concerns they had all along.

And for what it's worth, there's no such thing as 'water under the bridge' in the NFL. We're still looking to fill the #2 WR, Ted Backer and NT positions even though there were excellent options available to us at all 3 positions with that pick last season. So now we're going to be using yet another pick to address them.

It's not 'water under the bridge', at best it's a sunk cost.

RealSNR
04-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Hootie was right

McCluster is Wes WelkerI'd rather have Wes Welker

Hammock Parties
He had two plays taken back, and both wouldn't have happened had there not been fouls on the play.

Were there two? I only remember the one against Denver.

I'll see if I can find the Rams play.

keg in kc
"Bob Gretz suggests" doesn't sound quite as strongly worded as "definitely moving."

Say what I've always said: seems too small for RB.

DJ's left nut
A back that avg's 6.4 YPC should be able to handle 4th and 1. It's an O-line failure.

It's a play-calling failure; you don't run a toss-sweep to the short side there, you simply don't.

But I'm sure that same play-caller will be able to brilliantly unlock the untapped potential of Dexter McCluster. He showed himself to be so very creative in 2009.

Mr. Laz
04-27-2011, 10:50 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/Thereaper16/2vjso51jpg.gifx2

DeezNutz
04-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Some people, like myself, argued that Spiller should be a consideration at #5 overall last year because of his abilities as a receiver. In fact, his skill set made him one of the most intriguing "WR" options in all of the 2010 draft.

Thus, the assumption was that DMC was filling this type of role for the Chiefs, that he was primarily selected to work out of the slot, while getting some touches out of the backfield.

The fact that this might not be the case is a fucking joke, and Pioli should wear this one, right up next to Jackson and Cassel.

RealSNR
04-27-2011, 10:52 AM
A back that avg's 6.4 YPC should be able to handle 4th and 1. It's an O-line failure.A back that averages 6.4 YPC should also be getting way more touches than he did this season...

patteeu
04-27-2011, 10:54 AM

Maybe so, but JC can't carry the ball every time the Chiefs call a running play and personally, I'd rather use his carries in situations where he's more likely to see some open field and break off a long one rather than in situations where he needs to focus primarily on getting one yard to move the chains.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 10:54 AM

The OL isn't nearly the factor people are making it out to be. Christ, they paved the way for JC to almost break the YPC record.

IMO, we fail in short yardage because we're fucking predictable.

I'd like to see video on that play, because IIRC, the middle of the line held up fine - it was the POA blocking that failed, and the Ravens didn't fall for Cassel's half-assed fake to Castille.

ChiTown
04-27-2011, 10:55 AM
And if that's your position, fine. But don't sit around and say this is some knee-jerk reaction by alarmists. This isn't; it's vindication of the concerns they had all along.

Congrats on maybe being right?

I'm not sitting around doing or saying anything at this point. I'm simply stating that I'd like to see how they, in fact, use him this year. I'm also stating that we have his ass already, so how should he be used?

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Were there two? I only remember the one against Denver.

I'll see if I can find the Rams play.

No, there was just the one, at least that I recall.

I edited my post after I had thought about it a bit more.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 10:56 AM
A back that averages 6.4 YPC should also be getting way more touches than he did this season...

I disagree.

I think Haley used him right last year. I don't wanna see him have 300+ carries. I did, but I don't feel that way anymore.

I think we need to find another back with Charles' skill set to sub in. If they feel that McCluster is that back, then so be it.

Though I'd rather they take a Daniel Thomas in the 2nd or a Taiwan Jones in the 3rd or later.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2011, 10:57 AM
A back that averages 6.4 YPC should also be getting way more touches than he did this season...

Not really. Wasn't he coming off of surgery?

patteeu
04-27-2011, 10:59 AM
I disagree.

I think Haley used him right last year. I don't wanna see him have 300+ carries. I did, but I don't feel that way anymore.

I think we need to find another back with Charles' skill set to sub in. If they feel that McCluster is that back, then so be it.

Though I'd rather they take a Daniel Thomas in the 2nd or a Taiwan Jones in the 3rd or later.

I agree with this. I like the idea of using JC about like they did last year and trying get some extra JC-like work out of Dexter.

DJ's left nut
04-27-2011, 11:00 AM
I still really hope we take a long look at Clay out of Wisconsin. I know he had an off season, but Wisconsin was throwing the hell out of the ball and Clay went for 1,500 as a sophomore before slumping this season.

He's not a complete back, but he's a nice change of pace alternative to Charles in that he's a power runner with the ability to hit the hole hard. That's a guy I'd have loved to have on the roster for that 4th down play if for no other reason than the possibility that the Ravens might have actually bitten on the inside run if he was the possible target.

Clay could probably be had in the 6th round; I'm certain he'd be there in the 5th.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 11:04 AM
I disagree.

Check the post you quoted.

He said "touches."

No one wants JC to get 300 carries. But IMO, he should be getting many more touches as a receiver. 230 carries and 65-70 receptions would be a good load, IMO.

40 receptions isn't enough.

ChiTown
04-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Check the post you quoted.

40 receptions isn't enough.

Absolutely agree, especially when you consider the crap that we had at WR last year

The Bad Guy
04-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Yes, very questionable pick now. But standing on my head screaming isn't going to change it.

He's a playmaker, and I hope they find ways to use him effectively.

I also don't get why people are now nit-picking the MNF play. He made a cut, did his job and scored on a huge play to start the year. I don't care the conditions, variables or anything else. He made the play.

I'm hoping he can make more.

DBOSHO
04-27-2011, 11:12 AM
HE WAS A FUCKING ROOKIE

JESUS CHRIST, LET IT GO.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Yes, very questionable pick now. But standing on my head screaming isn't going to change it.

He's a playmaker, and I hope they find ways to use him effectively.

I also don't get why people are now nit-picking the MNF play. He made a cut, did his job and scored on a huge play to start the year. I don't care the conditions, variables or anything else. He made the play.

I'm hoping he can make more.

Not nit-picking, just laying out the facts.

People are trying to claim he's this elusive guy who makes guys lose their jocks, and that hasn't been the case. At least not yet.

I hope he makes more plays as well, otherwise we've wasted yet another high R2 pick.

The Bad Guy
04-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Not nit-picking, just laying out the facts.

People are trying to claim he's this elusive guy who makes guys lose their jocks, and that hasn't been the case. At least not yet.

I hope he makes more plays as well, otherwise we've wasted yet another high R2 pick.

It's nit-picking. The guy made a play, regardless of circumstance, he made a huge play. Credit is where credit's due.

He didn't make enough of them, but I'm not closing the book on his ability to help this team entering year 2.

HotRoute
04-27-2011, 11:21 AM
I love it when this place has people talking about football again. Makes me remember why this place is awesome

Honestly this whole lockout thing has screwed up people's passion for the game, and the sooner the draft begins the better

Stinger
04-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Ahhh .... the whole busted drafted pick vs the not busted drafted pick thread ..... man I have missed these. It almost feels like the off season.

suzzer99
04-27-2011, 11:40 AM
5th round pick

No comparison.

Ok granted expectations have a right to be higher for McCluster. But at this point no one cares about draft position (except for the point of pissing in Pioli's cheerios), only about production. Hall probably would have been worth a #2, and McCluster could easily still pan out to be a solid pick.

Mr. Laz
04-27-2011, 11:44 AM
if DMC was so elusive then why did he almost get killed every game because he couldn't avoid people?

I said it when he was drafted and i will say it again ... If DMC is not a weapon at WR then the pick was a shitty one.

DJ's left nut
04-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Maybe it's part of Pioli's master plan to make that Javier Arenas pick look better.

Rausch
04-27-2011, 11:50 AM
I said it when he was drafted and i will say it again ... If DMC is not a weapon at WR then the pick was a shitty one.

This.

And WTF would you give up on him at WR after only his rookie year? Guy didn't even play that much he was hurt all year...

the Talking Can
04-27-2011, 11:55 AM
"Slash & Dash Duo"

Meaning he will be getting plenty of carries. And just because a guy is labeled 3rd down back doesn't mean he actually comes in on 3rd down.

Look, If he fails, fine. I'll eat crow. But i'm not going to sit here and write the kid off before he even gets a chance like some of you want too. That's irrational.

He showed flashes last season that he can be explosive. Lets see what he can do before we start bitching about him.

he's a midget without a position....that's what we got for the #36 pick

last year you dumbasses were claiming he was Wes Welker and making the whole board apologize to him....now you've abandoned the Welker myth and latched on to something called - and jesus this is stupid - "Slash and Dash"...

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Why? I like the idea.

And don't give me that whole "we need a power back on 3rd down" speech. I think that's bullshit.

This !!! He's a playmaker and needs to get touches. He may be as good as Charles .

Mr. Laz
04-27-2011, 11:58 AM
This.

And WTF would you give up on him at WR after only his rookie year? Guy didn't even play that much he was hurt all year...
maybe they aren't or maybe DMC sucks ass at WR in practice and they have realized they might as well get a couple of good years out of him at RB until he gets broken in half.

we won't know until we see what position he actually plays.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Clay-

I went back looking for the Selvie play, and it's a return. Not sure when, sorry.

Hope that helps.

RE: Elusiveness.

He was tackled in the open field today on a return by George Selvie.

George.

Selvie.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 12:01 PM
he's a midget without a position....that's what we got for the #36 pick

last year you dumbasses were claiming he was Wes Welker and making the whole board apologize to him....now you've abandoned the Welker myth and latched on to something called - and jesus this is stupid - "Slash and Dash"...

I recall him being compared to Percy Harvin and DeSean Jackson as well.

mcaj22
04-27-2011, 12:04 PM
I watched this guy get shit on in the open field by both Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. He's not ready to run in between NFL tackles.

sadly, he will never live up to that 36 spot.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 12:06 PM
I watched this guy get shit on in the open field by both Ray Lewis and Ed Reed. He's not ready to run in between NFL tackles.

sadly, he will never live up to that 36 spot.:rolleyes: Yeah, because those 2 guys are lousy players who never hit anyone.

HotRoute
04-27-2011, 12:16 PM
This !!! He's a playmaker and needs to get touches. He may be as good as Charles .

:popcorn:

DaKCMan AP
04-27-2011, 12:16 PM

He got trucked by two future hall of fame, all-decade players? BUST!

DBOSHO
04-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Everybody here has the dane syndrome, where they are so sure of a player after 16 games that they know the players ceiling.

kysirsoze
04-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Don't believe anything the week before the draft.

Rumor could be true, or it could be a smokescreen to make other teams think KC has a bigger need for WR and/or smaller need for a RB.

This should have ended this thread on the first page.

How the fuck does a Bob Gretz report translate to "definitely" anything? I've not been happy with the use of Dex, but he is a player with a lot of talent that I hope we are able to exploit. Whatever they are, Haley obviously has plans for him. This discussion should be tabled until at least week five or six. Anything sooner is almost as speculative as the report this thread is based on.

Instead we will get at least 20 more threads between now and then either blindly defending or brutally bashing that one pick. I guess that's just Chiefsplanet.

BigCatDaddy
04-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Everybody here has the dane syndrome, where they are so sure of a player after 16 games that they know the players ceiling.

Actually nobody gave him that many games.

keg in kc
04-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Actually nobody gave him that many games.And it was never limited to dane.

kysirsoze
04-27-2011, 12:24 PM

You watched that? Hey, guys. This guy has first hand evidence that a rookie RB/WR got beat down by two HoFers. How can he ever live up to a high second round pick if he can't immediately clown two of the best defensive players of the last decade??

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Clay-

I went back looking for the Selvie play, and it's a return. Not sure when, sorry.

Hope that helps.

McCluster got run down by a guy who outweighed him by 80 lbs.

http://i54.tinypic.com/4r54zk.jpg

kysirsoze
04-27-2011, 12:42 PM

Run down? WTH are you talking about?

DaKCMan AP
04-27-2011, 12:43 PM

He doesn't have a clue and isn't worth your time.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 12:43 PM
LMAO The Dex hate is hilarious.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 12:45 PM

That's some mighty fine elusiveness there, Dex.

keg in kc
04-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Wait, you're characterizing that as getting run down from behind? The guy comes in unblocked with the angle, with a guy (who is that Demorrio Williams?) staggering along behind with an awesome "aw shit I done fucked up" gait.

DJ's left nut
04-27-2011, 12:47 PM
LMAO The Dex hate is hilarious.

And "Slash and Dash" is just sad.

Hammock Parties

I dunno, McCluster couldn't put a move on the guy? He just sort of kept running and let the guy pull him down. Where's the speed?

BigMeatballDave

http://i54.tinypic.com/4r54zk.jpgHeh. Run down. Looks like Selvie took a good angle and made a nice open-field tackle.

Hammock Parties
Wait, you're characterizing that as getting run down from behind?

I didn't say "behind," I said run down.

It's not quite as bad as I imagined but McCluster shows 0 elusiveness on that play...and 0 speed.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Heh. Run down. Looks like Selvie took a good angle and made a nice open-field tackle.

Yep, no reason the scatback should attempt to put a move on a 250-pound linebacker at all.

Fish
04-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Heh. Run down. Looks like Selvie took a good angle and made a nice open-field tackle.

Well hopefully once Dex is moved to RB, nobody on the opposing defense will take any good angles or anything.

sedated
04-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Had Copper made the right block, Dex could have gotten into the open field.

Its also nice to see 2 linemen tag-teaming one defender.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Yep, no reason the scatback should attempt to put a move on a 250-pound linebacker* at all.

*That runs a 4.93 40.

kysirsoze
04-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Yep, no reason the scatback should attempt to put a move on a 250-pound linebacker at all.

Dex was looking to the blocks being set up to the outside and this dude flew through untouched. Maybe Barry Sanders could have salvaged that busted ass play. MAYBE. This play is a terrible argument against McCluster.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Well hopefully once Dex is moved to RB, nobody on the opposing defense will take any good angles or anything.

LMAO

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 12:51 PM
One play doesn't really matter anyway. I could put together a lowlight reel of this guy getting caught in the open field. Again...and again...and again.

kysirsoze
04-27-2011, 12:52 PM
The better question is WTF was Copper going?

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Yep, no reason the scatback should attempt to put a move on a 250-pound linebacker at all.Dont you think its possible that Dex never saw Selvie?

keg in kc

It's not quite as bad as I imagined but McCluster shows 0 elusiveness on that play...and 0 speed.Sometimes defenders make plays. It's shocking I know.

If you're looking for highlights to showcase the holes in McCluster's game, that's the wrong one. That's a missed block and an easy play for Selvie. McCluster had no chance. Dante Hall wouldn't have gotten out of that one. Or any other returner you want to name.

(Of course, if it had been Dante Hall, it would have been Gary Stills (IIRC) blocking Selvie and not Williams, so he might have gotten a return out of it after all. Although out of fairness to Williams, maybe somebody else missed an assignment off camera.)

Team game, man.

Hammock Parties
Dont you think its possible that Dex never saw Selvie?

Yeah, his field vision sucks.

Chiefnj2
Heavier players should never be able to tackle lighter players. /ChiefsPlanet.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 12:54 PM
One play doesn't really matter anyway. I could put together a lowlight reel of this guy getting caught in the open field. Again...and again...and again.

Yep.

This was just the example that came to my head.

A 170 pound scatback that is supposedly "elusive" should never get pulled down in the open field by a LB that outweighs him by 80 pounds and runs a 4.93 40.

kysirsoze
04-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah, his field vision sucks.

:facepalm:

Titty Meat
04-27-2011, 12:58 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hb-chWh64Dc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good god that song to the video was just awful!

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Sometimes defenders make plays. It's shocking I know.

If you're looking for highlights to showcase the holes in McCluster's game, that's the wrong one. That's a missed block and an easy play for Selvie. McCluster had no chance. Dante Hall wouldn't have gotten out of that one. Or any other returner you want to name.

(Of course, if it had been Dante Hall, it would have been Gary Stills (IIRC) blocking Selvie and not Williams, so he might have gotten a return out of it after all.)

Team game, man.

I'd expect that from others, but am shocked you'd say something this ridiculous.

Open field tackles are FAR from easy in this league. Guys miss open field tackles easier than this every week.

This isn't like the clip where Dex catches the ball and Samuel or Reed is RIGHT THERE. That's having no chance.

Bottom line, Dex shows no speed and no field vision on the play. Open field against a guy 80 pounds heavier who runs a 4.93? Dex should win that matchup every time.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 01:00 PM

LMAO WTF do you think 'run down' means?

How many players get 'run down' head-on?

Titty Meat
04-27-2011, 01:04 PM
What about the play where he scores vs the Niners?

keg in kc
04-27-2011, 01:06 PM
I'd expect that from others, but am shocked you'd say something this ridiculous.

Open field tackles are FAR from easy in this league. Guys miss open field tackles easier than this every week.It's not ridiculous. It was a good defensive play. It happens. And you can hype Selvie's 40 time all you want, but that was a good burst of speed he showed there through the hole.

clay could probably find a hundred other McCluster highlights to outline exactly how elusive he was not last year. God knows there were plenty of them, the number of times he was taken down. He just happened to pick the wrong one.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 01:06 PM

Open field tackles are FAR from easy in this league. Guys miss open field tackles easier than this every week.

This isn't like the clip where Dex catches the ball and Samuel or Reed is RIGHT THERE. That's having no chance.

Bottom line, Dex shows no speed and no field vision on the play. Open field against a guy 80 pounds heavier who runs a 4.93? Dex should win that matchup every time.Its entirely possible you are over-reacting to this.

I dont know what Dex will be. The potential is there. We'll see. You guys, however, are looking for anything and everything to prove he'll bust.

Yeah, I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, he's a 2nd yr player.

Chiefnj2
04-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Yep.

This was just the example that came to my head.

A 170 pound scatback that is supposedly "elusive" should never get pulled down in the open field by a LB that outweighs him by 80 pounds and runs a 4.93 40.

Do you realize that in the game of football there are 20 other players on the field that may have some affect on where that scatback can move?

In your NFL a 140lb elusive person would never get tackled because all defenders would outweigh him by 50 plus pounds.

Rausch

This...

WV
He's going to get broke the fuck up.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Its entirely possible you are over-reacting to this.

I dont know what Dex will be. The potential is there. We'll see. You guys, however, are looking for anything and everything to prove he'll bust.

You keep using the word bust.

I haven't used it. DJ'sLeftNut said it well earlier, and most of you guys chose to overlook it.

When the pick was made, it was panned by many as a stupid luxury pick for a team that had pressing issues at NT, LB, QB and yes, WR. Instead we took a gimmicky scat-back that likely couldn't stay healthy who would struggle to find a regular role in the offense. We were informed that he was clearly going to be the #3 WR the team desperately needed (and that someone like Benn or Williams would be nowhere near as good as the elusive midget).

16 NFL regular season games and 1 post-season game later he has shown to be a guy that couldn't stay healthy and who we couldn't find a regular role in the offense. It also appears increasingly likely that he isn't going to be the #3 WR and most assuredly won't be better than most of the WRs taken after him.

It's not a knee-jerk reaction, it's a vindication. Those of us that hated this pick from the moment it was made have been right across the board. If you need to call it a knee-jerk reaction in order to make yourself feel better, so be it. But there's nothing knee-jerk about this; the angst over this pick has been a long time coming.

So far, he's proven the people that hated the pick right.

He has time to prove those of us wrong, as well.

But as of 4/27/2011, it's been a pretty piss-poor pick, considering.

keg in kc
04-27-2011, 01:14 PM
He's going to get broke the **** up.Been my concern all along.

And precisely why I don't want to see him spending too much time at RB and getting wailed-on by LBs.

Marcellus
04-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Its entirely possible you are over-reacting to this.

You mean that 16 games is not enough to evaluate the full potential of a player and his NFL career?

Players can get better in year 2 and beyond?

I say just cut his ass now and lets not waste the time.

For the record, he needs make an impact this year or yea, bad pick.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
If you're looking for highlights to showcase the holes in McCluster's game, that's the wrong one.

OTWP brought it up.

Anyway, here's some more stellar elusiveness. On a play designed for McCluster to make a guy miss, no less...

http://i.imgur.com/Hq5z4.gif

OnTheWarpath15
You mean that 16 games is not enough to evaluate the full potential of a player and his NFL career?

Players can get better in year 2 and beyond?

I say just cut his ass now and lets not waste the time.

Who here has said he can't get better?

I'll wait.

How about those of you that hated the pick on draft day because he was listed as a RB - and have since rationalized the pick because he was going to play the slot - but continue to rationalize the pick now that he's being moved to RB full time - help Marcellus out.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
I think Pestilence ought to explain how he got "definitely moving to running back" out of the snipped he posted.

hinted =! definitely moving

Very misleading title that skewed the tenor of the conversation from the start.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 01:22 PM

It's not quite as bad as I imagined but McCluster shows 0 elusiveness on that play...and 0 speed.

It's called an angle. You know, sometimes defenders are trained to take proper angles to compensate for lack of speed.

I'm sure you can find plenty of plays of Charles that look just look just like that. But he's not fast or elusive or anything......

This thread is becoming comical.

GC, you're trying way to hard to be a hater.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 01:23 PM
OTWP brought it up.

Anyway, here's some more stellar elusiveness. On a play designed for McCluster to make a guy miss, no less...

We all know where this is leading.

Any time Dex gets taken down in the open field, it was a good defensive play.

Any time a defender slips, takes a bad angle, etc - Dex is elusive.

kysirsoze
I think Pestilence ought to explain how he got "definitely moving to running back" out of the snipped he posted.

hinted =! definitely moving

Very misleading title that skewed the tenor of the conversation from the start.

It's no use. The train has left the station.

BigCatDaddy
It's called an angle. You know, sometimes defenders are trained to take proper angles to compensate for lack of speed.

I'm sure you can find plenty of plays of Charles that look just look just like that. But he's not fast or elusive or anything......

This thread is becoming comical.

I don't remember which game it was but JC did get "ran down" by a safety in the open field.

JC = Suckage

kysirsoze
04-27-2011, 01:24 PM
OTWP brought it up.

Now THAT is a bad play by Dex. Much better example.

ModSocks
OTWP brought it up.

Just stop. You can find plays like that for any player. It does not prove shit.

DeezNutz
I'm going to blow into a shoe in honor of DMC. Blow out a shoe, I mean.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 01:25 PM

OTWP wanted to see the play, I posted it. I don't agree that it's an awful play but Dex certainly shows he's nothing special there. He just keeps running...no attempt to cut back whatsoever and avoid the man.

Saccopoo
I wonder if this is the precursor to us moving up in the first round and picking Julio Jones?

Getting the constituency prepared for the coming of Jesus as a receiver, so to speak.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JGdhsJ5zeKA/TQAbKVgRPHI/AAAAAAAAEM4/wmbFwLT3muw/s1600/Julio+Jones.jpg

ModSocks

Any time Dex gets taken down in the open field, it was a good defensive play.

Any time a defender slips, takes a bad angle, etc - Dex is elusive.

No.

It was a bad play by Dex. But if we had the kinda time GC has, we can find bad plays by just about any player. It's moot.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 01:26 PM

The burden of proof is not on McCluster haters. He did basically nothing last year.

That play is a good example of how he's nothing special in the open field, though. Happened all year long.

keg in kc
04-27-2011, 01:26 PM

Any time Dex gets taken down in the open field, it was a good defensive play.Well, it was a pretty good defensive play, wasn't it?

But this time Dex had the chance to make a move and it was obviously the wrong one.

And that looked like that hurt.

Which is related to my injury fears with him: half the time when he gets hit, it's of the cringe-inducing variety. He just seems to nailed way too often. Injury waiting to happen.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Now THAT is a bad play by Dex. Much better example.

I don't think it's a BAD play as much as it is a guy not being able to be special.

Dex catches the ball and tries his best to elude the defender one-on-one. He just can't do it. Because he's not that talented.

ModSocks
The burden of proof is not on McCluster haters. He did basically nothing last year.

That play is a good example of how he's nothing special in the open field, though. Happened all year long.

Ever think that maybe we need more than a handful of games.

You could make the same EXACT case for Charles & a handful of players in his rookie year.

kysirsoze
I wonder if this is the precursor to us moving up in the first round and picking Julio Jones?

Getting the constituency prepared for the coming of Jesus as a receiver, so to speak.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JGdhsJ5zeKA/TQAbKVgRPHI/AAAAAAAAEM4/wmbFwLT3muw/s1600/Julio+Jones.jpg

Not gonna happen. That would be AWESOME, though.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm sure you can find plenty of plays of Charles that look just look just like that. .

LMAO

I love that people keep bringing up Charles in comparison with McCluster...

No one will say shit about McCluster if he gains 2,000 yards from scrimmage...

Hell...500 ought to be enough.

Not happening.

Saccopoo
04-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Not gonna happen. That would be AWESOME, though.

It would at that.

Sell it out Scotty!

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 01:30 PM

Just a guess, but if some of you fucking flip-floppers (not necessarily you, Dtox, i have no idea what your stance on this was on draft day) didn't:

a) Hate the pick because he was listed as a RB

b) Rationalize the pick because he was moved to the slot

c) Make ridiculous claims that he's the next Wes Welker/DeSean Jackson/Percy Harvin.

d) Continue defending the pick when he's moved back to RB - which everyone hated originally. OOOH! Slash and dash!

Then maybe, this wouldn't keep popping back up.

Bottom line, SO FAR, Dexter nor the coaching staff have done anything to prove the people that hated the pick and have stuck to their opinion wrong.

If he played for any of our division rivals, most, if not all of you would be laughing at what a shitty pick it was.

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Ever think that maybe we need more than a handful of games.

No.

I don't think McCluster is going to magically get quicker, faster or bigger over the offseason.

And they're giving up on him as a WR so we don't really need to explore the idea that he might learn to run routes better.

HemiEd
04-27-2011, 01:31 PM

Pretty sad really. He did nothing to justify being picked after the first game of the season, last year.

DJ's left nut
04-27-2011, 01:31 PM

Explain?

It was a perfect example in that you can put it up next to his 'elusiveness' in the college clips. There are plays he made in college where he did that little spin and got some grocery sacker to drop his jock. "WOW! What a playmaker!!"

He tried it at the NFL level and a legitimate player (not even a very good player) put him on his ass.

It's not dispositive for its result, but for the manner in which it got there. It wasn't him slipping on a cut or mis-reading a running lane. It was him in the open field making the exact kind of move that wowed the folks that were slobbing his knob a year ago and getting his shit pushed in for it.

His game doesn't translate to the NFL and that clip does a lot to show why.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Lets see.....I can see plenty of elusiveness right here...this is w/o even trying to find good clips...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d81ad6ea3/McCluster-40-yard-punt-return

Hammock Parties
That's great, cherry pick one of the two impact plays he made last year.

Titty Meat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWldT8uqnSQ&feature=related

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 01:34 PM
"grocery sacker" is a great derogatory term for shitty players....must use in future!

Chief Roundup
04-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Wouldn't that probably give us the smallest running back duo in the league.
That also makes WR a bigger need. Not much but a bigger need.

ModSocks

I aint cherry picking shit.

It's simply the first one i found when typing his name in.

Unlike you....

OnTheWarpath15
I don't think it's a BAD play as much as it is a guy not being able to be special.

Dex catches the ball and tries his best to elude the defender one-on-one. He just can't do it. Because he's not that talented.

He's talented, he's just not overly talented in relation to the other 21 players on the field during a NFL game.

He stood out in college, where there might have been a handful of guys that have NFL-level talent. The rest are selling insurance in fucking Mobile or Gulfport.

I just don't think he's the "special" player others do. Not in a class with Hester, DeSean Jackson, Harvin, etc. He's just another guy.

IMO, he'll be even less special as a full-time RB.

Titty Meat
04-27-2011, 01:36 PM
And nobody wants to talk about the play vs the Niners or the punt return that was the game winning TD? The potential is certainly there was it worth taking a gadget player in round 2? Probably not. But he's not really a busy just yet.

BigMeatballDave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWldT8uqnSQ&feature=relatedYOU CANT CHERRY PICK!

chiefsnorth
He is a gadget player, it doesn't really matter what position they list him at... His role will probably be about the same

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 01:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWldT8uqnSQ&feature=related

Ok, so we can pretty much throw the "not Elusive" argument out the window now.

Nice find.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 01:38 PM
He is a gadget player, it doesn't really matter what position they list him at... His role will probably be about the same

This.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 01:39 PM

A 40 yard punt return with 2:30 left in a blowout is an impact play?

Hammock Parties
04-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Just stop with the cherry picking guys, we know he made a couple plays.

I save every highlight a player makes. Here's the sum total of McCluster's playmaking:

31-yard catch
15-yard catch
15-yard catch
14-yard catch
19-yard catch
11-yard catch
10-yard catch

22-yard screen

20-yard reverse
15-yard run

38-yard punt return
94-yard punt return

That's a big bag of shit for #36. And considering how many times he touched the ball on special teams, the lack of plays there is awful.

ModSocks
04-27-2011, 01:41 PM
A 40 yard punt return with 2:30 left in a blowout is an impact play?

The point was to demonstrate his ability that GC has clearly made an effort to dismiss with his cherry picked Gifs.

I'm pretty sure that's been put to rest now.

Titty Meat
04-27-2011, 01:42 PM

I save every highlight a player makes. Here's the sum total of McCluster's playmaking:

31-yard catch
15-yard catch
15-yard catch
14-yard catch
19-yard catch
11-yard catch
10-yard catch

22-yard screen

20-yard reverse
15-yard run

38-yard punt return
94-yard punt return

That's a big bag of shit for #36. And considering how many times he touched the ball on special teams, the lack of plays there is awful.

And he also had a high ankle sprain that took away some explosiveness. He contributed in our first 2 victories.

OnTheWarpath15
04-27-2011, 01:42 PM

31-yard catch
15-yard catch
15-yard catch
14-yard catch
19-yard catch
11-yard catch
10-yard catch

22-yard screen

20-yard reverse
15-yard run

38-yard punt return
94-yard punt return

That's a big bag of shit. And considering how many times he touched the ball on special teams, the lack of plays there is awful.

Question:

Of the plays you listed, during how many of them did he MAKE someone miss?

Marcellus
04-27-2011, 01:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x06FQQJMc4&feature=related

What this video and just try to tell me DMC is not elusive. That shit is sick.

chiefsnorth
ROFL what a stupid argument

OnTheWarpath15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x06FQQJMc4&feature=related

What this video and just try to tell me DMC is not elusive. That shit is sick.

ROFL

That juke move was the best move he made all year.