PDA

View Full Version : Football Posnanski unloads both barrels on owners and Goodell

Dave Lane
04-27-2011, 11:28 PM
http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/04/26/goodell-to-the-last-drop/

Roger Goodell is clearly no schlemiel or schlimazel. Roger Goodell looks, as the cliché goes, right out of central casting. He’s a powerful looking guy, fills out a suit, gives every impression of being in charge at every moment of every day. If you were in a group stuck on an elevator with Roger Goodell, there is no question that he would be in charge, even if you had CEOs of companies and three-star generals in there. There are just people who exude authority, people who will walk down the street and people will just know that they are CEO of something or other. Goodell has that aura.

But, while watching this NFL labor mess, something has occurred to me, something that cuts completely against looks and aura and everything else. It has occurred to me that Roger Goodell might about 20,000 leagues over his head. It has occurred to me that while Bud Selig is destined to be underestimated because of the way he carries himself, that Roger Goodell is destined to be overestimated for exactly the same reason.

Here’s my thinking: The owners, under Goodell’s leadership, decided to go for broke as they try to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement. They did this at a time when the NFL is, by far, the most successful sports league in America, perhaps the world. They did this at a time when the league is a $9 billion entity, when television networks are sending flowers and chocolate, and when reports are coming out constantly about the horrible damage that football does to its players. Goodell, in representing the owners, had the gall to cry poor, to demand a billion more right off the top for the league’s billionaire owners, to say that the game could not possibly continue like this, to take money away from players who seem to be dying young and suffering terribly in their later years, and to actually demand expanding the season.

At this point, the feeling had to be that Goodell knew what he was doing. The NFL is on some kind of crazy winning streak when it comes to building the game — pro football just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Heck, the NFL DRAFT is now one of the biggest sporting events on the calendar. And that’s just a bunch of people in a room writing names on index cards. The league seems invulnerable to harm, and destined only to get richer and more popular and more powerful. On top of that, Goodell just embodies confidence and certainty. If the league officials figured that this was the time to take a bunch of money away from the players, hey, who could argue with their record?

Still, there were signs early on that things were not going as planned. In sports’ work stoppages, at least in my view, the majority of Americans automatically tend to side with the owners … or anyway they tend to side AGAINST the players. I think the reasons for this are involved and complicated and worthy of a 10,000-word post of their own. But generally people seem to get angrier at the players that they know than the silhouettes of the owners that they don’t.

But not in this case. Oh, sure, there were plenty who blamed the players, almost out of habit. More than usual, though, seemed to realize that the players were not really asking for anything. It was the owners shrieking that the system was irreparably broken, that they needed more money, that they needed to add games, that they were in big trouble. And when the players asked them to open the books and actually PROVE that they were in any sort of trouble at all, well, suddenly crickets chirped.

So I think many people blamed the owners for this whole fight. I know I did. I think the NFL owners already have by far the best deal in sports and are driven by pure greed to get more. Roger Goodell’s attempts to change this perception seemed to me pretty pathetic and unconvincing. He kept trying to call the attempt to add two games to the regular season a mere “reconfiguring” of the schedule (and he kept saying that the fans wanted it, though every poll suggested that the fans overwhelmingly did not). He kept talking in vague generalities about the financial doom that the league would face if they did not rework the CBA … and nobody really believed him. He sent what seemed to me an ill-conceived letter to the players association. He sent what seemed to me a ridiculous letter to the fans. And, as expected, he presided over a lockout of the players.

Right now, that lockout looks to be the most self-destructive move that a league has made in a long, long time. The lockout was enjoined by a judge on Monday, meaning it’s now over. The league is appealing Judge Nelson’s ruling, but from what I can tell the league’s appeal seems on shaky ground, and as our own Michael McCann says, the league now has a whole lot to worry about. The players, assuming the ruling is not overturned, now have serious negotiating power. The owners, assuming the ruling is not overturned, now have a serious problem convincing anyone that they aren’t already overflowing in money. This thing has a chance to become a major embarrassment for the owners … and perhaps more than just an embarrassment. It could be a financial catastrophe.

And based on Goodell’s opinion column in The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday, it looks like the impressive NFL commissioner is completely out of ideas. I wrote on Twitter that the only thing missing from this ludicrous column was exclamation points. You could tell right away that this column was untrustworthy when in the second sentence he wrote, “For six weeks, there has been a work stoppage,” as if that was caused by some sort of natural disaster and was not a result of the owners locking out the players. He then talks about how great the NFL system has been for everyone without even taking one sentence to mention the inconvenient fact that it was the owners, not the players, who wanted to blow up the old system in a bald money grab. He then offers an utterly unrealistic and devious doomsday scenario “if the players win” — a scenario that he knows will never happen and is only in play now because of the owners’ greedy lockout that was slammed down by the courts.

It all screamed of desperation and, frankly, it felt a bit incompetent, too. If Bud Selig ever wrote a column like that, people would be pulling out their torches and pitchforks. Roger Goodell is undoubtedly a brilliant guy, and he has a strong history with the league, and he is trying to represent a group of very different owners who probably resent that they have to give ANY of their money to the players. But that’s the job of commissioner, and right now it looks like Goodell is flailing.

Of course, maybe he isn’t. Maybe he has expected everything that has happened and has contingency plans that are not easily seen now. Maybe everything is going exactly according to plan. I have mentioned that I am reading Robert Caro’s Master of the Senate about Lyndon Johnson, and the amazing thing about LBJ as Senator was how he manipulated people without them knowing it, how sometimes he wanted bills he supported to fail, and how sometimes he wanted people he differed with on his side, and how he had a clear plan that he did not want anyone to see until it was too late.

Maybe Goodell is like that, too. That is certainly the reputation he has built in many quarters. I am beginning to think, though, that reputation is way, way off. Bud Selig is clearly much more effective and authoritative than he lets on. I can’t help but wonder if Roger Goodell is exactly the opposite.

cdcox
04-27-2011, 11:30 PM
If we've lost Posnanski, we've lost America. /Owners.

T-post Tom
04-27-2011, 11:33 PM
I miss JoPo's regular writings on the local teams.

Simplex3
04-27-2011, 11:34 PM
"I think the NFL owners already have by far the best deal in sports and are driven by pure greed to get more."

I quit reading here. What are the owners supposed to be motivated by? Love of the game? Bwah hahahahaha!

Posnanski can feed all the BS lines he wants about how he works his job for love of the craft, but if the paychecks stopped his ass would be out the door. Likewise he'd jump ship tomorrow for an extra $1. Greedy bastard.

suzzer99
04-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Do you think anyone pays Pos to write that blog that he fills with gigantic amounts of content on an almost daily basis?

salame
04-28-2011, 12:16 AM
think in terms of actual 0's
a good contract is a few mil a season
owners make BILLIONS
fucking billions

Simplex3
04-28-2011, 12:22 AM
think in terms of actual 0's
a good contract is a few mil a season
owners make BILLIONS
****ing billions

To a guy in Rwanda making 100's a year is obscene. You must be a greedy prick too. Perspective is a bitch.

The end result is that it doesn't matter at all what you think as long as you keep buying tickets or tuning in on Sundays.

chiefzilla1501
04-28-2011, 06:16 AM
"I think the NFL owners already have by far the best deal in sports and are driven by pure greed to get more."

I quit reading here. What are the owners supposed to be motivated by? Love of the game? Bwah hahahahaha!

Posnanski can feed all the BS lines he wants about how he works his job for love of the craft, but if the paychecks stopped his ass would be out the door. Likewise he'd jump ship tomorrow for an extra $1. Greedy bastard.

What's wrong about the statement?
Do the NFL owners have the best deal in sports? Yes, revenues in the NFL have skyrocketed and the owners have collected almost all of the increases, while the players have collected little of it.

Are they motivated by greed? Yes. The players are too, of course, but unlike the owners, the players are actually underpaid.

chiefzilla1501
04-28-2011, 06:24 AM
By the way, this is a terrific article.

Goodell is in way over his head. He took over a wildly popular game and now may be driving it into the ground. Inconsistently strict definitions of excessive celebration. Inconsistent enforcement of penalties, like getting fined more money for a helmet-to-helmet hit than punching a helmetless Cortland Finnegan in the head. An 18-game season that no fan in their right mind wants. And now presiding over an embarrassing labor conflict driven by owners asking for the moon at the worst possible time.

Can anyone name a single good thing Goodell has done for the game?

the Talking Can
04-28-2011, 06:36 AM
the owners got their ass handed to them in court, and yes, Goodell is clueless...

notorious
04-28-2011, 06:52 AM

Goodell is in way over his head. He took over a wildly popular game and now may be driving it into the ground. Inconsistently strict definitions of excessive celebration. Inconsistent enforcement of penalties, like getting fined more money for a helmet-to-helmet hit than punching a helmetless Cortland Finnegan in the head. An 18-game season that no fan in their right mind wants. And now presiding over an embarrassing labor conflict driven by owners asking for the moon at the worst possible time.

He applies foot-to-ass when players screw up off the field. But that is it.

Royal Fanatic
04-28-2011, 07:36 AM

I quit reading here.
That's always a good way to understand both sides of an argument.

Did you "quit reading" Goodell's OP in the Wall Street Journal when he made idiotic and outrageous statements, or did you just :whackit: ?

Brock
04-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Goodell is pretty slimy. Remember what he did with the evidence that the Patriots cheated?

Skyy God
04-28-2011, 08:52 AM

How about not f'ing up the wildly successful league their fathers built? This isn't a widget factory, where the primary motive is to make an extra $.00001/widget.

Public perception matters to sponsors, consumers, and networks.

DJ's left nut
04-28-2011, 08:59 AM

Uh...Poz stayed at the Star for years despite more lucrative offers elsewhere.

Try being less dumb.

Simplex3
04-28-2011, 09:02 AM
How about not f'ing up the wildly successful league their fathers built? This isn't a widget factory, where the primary motive is to make an extra $.00001/widget.

Public perception matters to sponsors, consumers, and networks.

I have no idea what angle the owners are taking. None of us are privy to the information the owners have. Nevermind the fact that the league doesn't belong to the proverbial "we". It belongs to the owners of the 32 teams. If they want to run the league into the toilet that's their prerogative. Frankly it's none of any of our business what they want to do with it.

It's well within your right to wonder what they're doing, or disagree with what they're doing, but to be upset by it? That just seems silly to me (not saying you are, but some here clearly are).

Posnanski's assertion that the owners should be motivated by anything but greed screams "this article is nothing but an emotional plea", which means it's nothing but Entertainment Tonight for sports, which I don't have time for.

Simplex3
04-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Uh...Poz stayed at the Star for years despite more lucrative offers elsewhere.

Try being less dumb.

And he stayed only out of loyalty to the Star? It wasn't because he placed value on living in the area for his wife/kids? Being close to his family/friends? Not because he felt that putting in years at the Star would improve his resume? Those things all factor into the greed equation.

L.A. Chieffan
04-28-2011, 09:10 AM
that caro book sounds interesting

DJ's left nut
04-28-2011, 09:11 AM
And he stayed only out of loyalty to the Star? It wasn't because he placed value on living in the area for his wife/kids? Being close to his family/friends? Not because he felt that putting in years at the Star would improve his resume? Those things all factor into the greed equation.

WTF are you talking about?

So Posnanski says the owners are chasing money and you say "Oh yeah, he'd bail on the star for an extra $1". This is categorically false. So rather than conceded you were talking out your ass and saying something along the lines of "My bad, I'm a moron", you're going to try to defend that your bit of ill-informed idiocy?

You're going to try to change any accepted meaning of the word "greed" and instead equate it with the entire calculus of considerations when making a major career change? I gotta imagine that's probably the dumbest thing I'll hear over the next 72 hours.

Like I said, please please please try being less stupid.

The only thing worse than ignorance is attempting to defend it. You were wrong, it's okay to admit it and just go about your merry way.

HemiEd
04-28-2011, 09:17 AM
I am misting up with sympathy for the poor players.

Skyy God
04-28-2011, 09:21 AM
I have no idea what angle the owners are taking. None of us are privy to the information the owners have. Nevermind the fact that the league doesn't belong to the proverbial "we". It belongs to the owners of the 32 teams. If they want to run the league into the toilet that's their prerogative. Frankly it's none of any of our business what they want to do with it.

It's well within your right to wonder what they're doing, or disagree with what they're doing, but to be upset by it? That just seems silly to me (not saying you are, but some here clearly are).

If you don't think Goodell is a proxy for the owners, and that his positions are their positions, then there's really nothing left to discuss.

Posnanski's assertion that the owners should be motivated by anything but greed screams "this article is nothing but an emotional plea", which means it's nothing but Entertainment Tonight for sports, which I don't have time for.

Assuming arguendo your point about profit motive, the owners would be far better off not damaging the reputation of their product and endangering future revenue growth. Instead, they're crying poor and squabbling over a few hundred million of existing revenue.

It's unbelievably short-sided.

Simplex3
04-28-2011, 09:22 AM
WTF are you talking about?

So Posnanski says the owners are chasing money and you say "Oh yeah, he'd bail on the star for an extra $1". This is categorically false. So rather than conceded you were talking out your ass and saying something along the lines of "My bad, I'm a moron", you're going to try to defend that your bit of ill-informed idiocy?

Or I was simplifying the argument to a bullet point instead of writing a full thesis and you jumped on it like a fat kid on a candy bar, injecting meaning where there was none. Whichever.

Simplex3
04-28-2011, 09:24 AM
If you don't think Goodell is a proxy for the owners, and that his positions are their positions, then there's really nothing left to discuss.

I'm not sure where you got that. That's exactly what Goodell is.

Assuming arguendo your point about profit motive, the owners would be far better off not damaging the reputation of their product and endangering future revenue growth. Instead, they're crying poor and squabbling over a few hundred million of existing revenue.

It's unbelievably short-sided.

Given the information we have it appears to be short sighted. But the only thing I know for a fact about this situation is that we don't know much.

DJ's left nut
04-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Or I was simplifying the argument to a bullet point instead of writing a full thesis and you jumped on it like a fat kid on a candy bar, injecting meaning where there was none. Whichever.

So you were making shit up to prove a point?

Got it.

DJ's left nut
04-28-2011, 09:43 AM
For the record - in no world is this:

A 'bullet point' view of this:

Rather the latter is a BS back-peddling attempt to spin your way clear of the former and anyone that reads it knows better.

But again - feel free to continue defending your idiocy.

Kerberos
04-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Sorry but Finnegan is a morAn and completely egged that sucker punch on to himself. Stop being a douche nozzle on the field and people won't take swings at you.

noa
04-28-2011, 10:04 AM
JoPo isn't saying that the owners should be motivated by something other than greed. He's saying that they should have been more careful in trusting Goodell to lead them down this path. The owners may have sacrificed bigger gains in the long run due their immediate desire for some extra money. Trusting Goodell haphazardly undermined the owners' ultimate goal. That's not an indictment on the owners for greed, its an indictment for their shortsightedness and failure to think this thing through.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
04-28-2011, 10:07 AM
JoPo isn't saying that the owners should be motivated by something other than greed. He's saying that they should have been more careful in trusting Goodell to lead them down this path. The owners may have sacrificed bigger gains in the long run due their immediate desire for some extra money. Trusting Goodell haphazardly undermined the owners' ultimate goal. That's not an indictment on the owners for greed, its an indictment for their shortsightedness and failure to think this thing through.
Posted via Mobile Device

Goodell isn't the architect of this thing. He's a mouthpiece.

suzzer99
04-28-2011, 10:19 AM

Ok so how about the voluminous blog he puts out simply because he likes to write apparently? Saying Pos would have left the Star for $1 more, when he clearly stayed there for a long time as better offers were poring in, is just flat out wrong. The Star has made it obvious they can't pay for legit sports columnist any more with the sinking of the newspaper industry. What was he supposed to do, stay there for what Mellinger makes when SI probably offered 5x that or more?

Seriously, of all the public figures in the world to attack as being a money-grubbing whore - you may have picked just about the least likely candidate. Congrats, that wins some kind of stupid hall of fame award.

jAZ
04-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Goodell isn't the architect of this thing. He's a mouthpiece.
Exactly. Owner + Lawyers - Court Loss = Goodell-The-Scapegoat

I actually think Goodell has been outstanding as a commissioner.

Brock
04-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Exactly. Owner + Lawyers - Court Loss = Goodell-The-Scapegoat

I actually think Goodell has been outstanding as a commissioner.

Yeah, he's been great, as lackeys go.

DJ's left nut
04-28-2011, 10:24 AM
I think he's been no better than a mediocre commissioner, but not exactly for the reasons involved here.

I think shit like the 'helmet to helmet' crap is his. As are the inconsistent player conduct rules, etc...

But this lockout isn't his doing. If I had to pick an 'architect' I'd look to Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder.

Simplex3
04-28-2011, 10:30 AM
Rather the latter is a BS back-peddling attempt to spin your way clear of the former and anyone that reads it knows better.

But again - feel free to continue defending your idiocy.

You keep looking for white knights and I'll keep believing people are motivated by their own self interest.

Simplex3
04-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Ok so how about the voluminous blog he puts out simply because he likes to write apparently? Saying Pos would have left the Star for $1 more, when he clearly stayed there for a long time as better offers were poring in, is just flat out wrong. The Star has made it obvious they can't pay for legit sports columnist any more with the sinking of the newspaper industry. What was he supposed to do, stay there for what Mellinger makes when SI probably offered 5x that or more?

Seriously, of all the public figures in the world to attack as being a money-grubbing whore - you may have picked just about the least likely candidate. Congrats, that wins some kind of stupid hall of fame award.

I completely underestimated the amount of man love there is for Posnanski. Had I known I wouldn't have called your kid ugly and had to deal with all these emotional arguments.

DJ's left nut
04-28-2011, 11:11 AM
I completely underestimated the amount of man love there is for Posnanski. Had I known I wouldn't have called your kid ugly and had to deal with all these emotional arguments.

Or perhaps you should've considered not saying something ignorant and you wouldn't have to deal with people calling it as such.

It's funny to watch someone say something shockingly stupid then get all ass-hurt when others call them out for it.

It's okay sweetheart, you're right. We're all just picking on you for making a completely rational, reasoned point.

vailpass
04-28-2011, 11:12 AM
JoPo is a soft bitch, always has been.

Simplex3
04-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Or perhaps you should've considered not saying something ignorant and you wouldn't have to deal with people calling it as such.

It's funny to watch someone say something shockingly stupid then get all ass-hurt when others call them out for it.

It's okay sweetheart, you're right. We're all just picking on you for making a completely rational, reasoned point.

Arguing with you about someone you clearly care about at some level isn't worth it. Every one of your posts has contained a personal attack. As such, I'm not going to bother.

gblowfish
04-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Joe Poz is one of the greatest sportswriters to ever grace the pages of the KC Star. He is universally revered by professional sports journalists, he has won multiple prestige awards for his writing, he is now one of the big boys, writing for SI, and he is the pulse of the Kansas City Sports fan. He is, in short. one of us, and beyond reproach. He does not push his own agenda or make himself the story (like Fatlock) and he continues to call KC his home. The guy is aces, and a damn fine writer.

Easy 6
04-28-2011, 12:57 PM
If we've lost Posnanski, we've lost America. /Owners.

LMAO

Demonpenz
04-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Simplex3 is projecting his attitude in others. He showed his hand in one of luv's threads.

Skyy God
04-28-2011, 01:09 PM
JoPo is a soft bitch, always has been.

Not a real man like you, eh?

jAZ
04-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Yeah, he's been great, as lackeys go.

He's done a lot of things right. If he's done it as a lackey, then his overloards have done a lot of things right.

Brock
04-28-2011, 06:29 PM
He's done a lot of things right. If he's done it as a lackey, then his overloards have done a lot of things right.

I especially like his watergate-like evidence destruction skills.

Skyy God
04-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Well played, indeed.

http://deadspin.com/#!5796864/roger-goodell-silences-boos-we-want-football-chants-with-a-moment-of-silence

notorious
04-29-2011, 10:01 AM
If I had to pick an 'architect' I'd look to Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder.

This x 11tybillion.

Dave Lane
04-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Not a real man like you, eh?

Yeah what a shining example...

Brock
04-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Well played, indeed.

http://deadspin.com/#!5796864/roger-goodell-silences-boos-we-want-football-chants-with-a-moment-of-silence

LOL, that's embarrassing.

Skyy God
04-29-2011, 10:22 AM

If that was his planned response to boo-ing, Goodell's a hack.

If he didn't suspect he'd be boo'd, he's a moron.

Either way, it doesn't reflect well on him.

Skyy God
04-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah what a shining example...

Internet tough guy syndrome at its finest.

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2011, 10:35 AM
That's always a good way to understand both sides of an argument.

Did you "quit reading" Goodell's OP in the Wall Street Journal when he made idiotic and outrageous statements, or did you just :whackit: ?more money = better than

welcome to america

milkman
04-29-2011, 10:42 AM
The only redeeming quality about Goodell as commissioner is the fact that he holds players accountable for their actions off the field.

There has been nothing done under his watch that has benefitted the league, otherwise.

Rozelle and the old school owners were visionaries that laid the foundation.

Tagliabue and the owners that came along, along with the remaining old schoolers, did a good job of tweaking the system in place to continue the growth.

This commissioner and these newer owners, which includes the likes of Jerry Richardson, will eventually kill the golden goose.

suzzer99
04-29-2011, 11:01 AM

Yeah just keep trying to crapweasel your way out with less and less substance to your arguments.

Discuss Thrower
04-29-2011, 11:41 AM

Knowing the totalitarian nature of the NFL, I'm really amazed they allowed fans into Radio City Music Hall in light of the labor issue.

jidar
04-29-2011, 01:16 PM
I am misting up with sympathy for the poor players.

And yet the owners you feel for.

vailpass
04-29-2011, 01:23 PM
And yet the owners you feel for.

Business is business, no need to feel anything for either side.

Simplex3
04-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Business is business, no need to feel anything for either side.

This is America, 2011. You'd better start issuing apologies for that comment.

Ericgoodchief
04-29-2011, 02:58 PM

You're right and he left KC for $port$illu$straded. That was greed.

vailpass
04-29-2011, 03:01 PM
This is America, 2011. You'd better start issuing apologies for that comment.

I'd laugh if this weren't just about true.