PDA

View Full Version : Life Going to Memphis in May this weekend

Skyy God
04-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Lineup is phenomenal. Other than Sun Studio tour (have been to Graceland), any place else I should hit before shows.

How's the Stax museum?

Stinger
04-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Lineup is phenomenal. Other than Sun Studio tour (have been to Graceland), any place else I should hit before shows.

How's the Stax museum?

Beal Street at night and try the ribs dry (which goes against any KC BBQ I know, don't shoot the messenger it's a local favorite there).

mikeyis4dcats.
04-28-2011, 11:35 AM
You've gotta hit Interstate BBQ if you want to try something local.

We did MIM about 5 years ago, had a good time.

KevB
04-28-2011, 11:38 AM
St. Louis Cardinals AAA team is there and they play in a nice stadium right off Beale St. Grizzlies play the Spurs on Friday night at the Fed Ex Forum, also right off Beale St. Probably sold out, but that game will be nuts.

Otherwise, just plan on walking the river and enjoying the aroma/food/drink/etc. You should have a great time.

Simply Red
04-28-2011, 12:21 PM
You should hit up Ultra Peanut and ride dirty in the slums.

Oh wait - she moved to Boston, I think.

Simply Red
04-28-2011, 12:23 PM
FYI - per capita - there's not many tougher//rougher cities in the USA. So be sure you walk around w/ a cannister of wasp-spray.

Skyy God
04-28-2011, 12:30 PM
St. Louis Cardinals AAA team is there and they play in a nice stadium right off Beale St. Grizzlies play the Spurs on Friday night at the Fed Ex Forum, also right off Beale St. Probably sold out, but that game will be nuts.

No time, shows to see.

Which blues guys should I check out, other than Devon Allman, Hubert Sumlin, and Magic Slim?

http://memphisinmay2011.sched.org/

Saul Good
04-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Hit Beale Street. That's about it. The city is a dump. Went to MIM a few years back and saw Nelly, The Wallflowers, and a bunch of others. Cool show, but it gets incredibly muddy when it rains (as in sinking to your knee and needing help getting out). Bring clothes that you can throw away.

Bambi
08-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Went to Memphis this last weekend:

Graceland
Sun Studios
Redbirds game
Civil Rights Museum
Gibson Factory
Beale Street
Brooks Museum

Was actually a very good time, learned a lot

BBQ was very good but nothing like KC BBQ. Gus's Fried Chicken was pretty great