PDA

View Full Version : Misc Who's in the Wrong?

MTG#10
04-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Bought some furniture on March 3rd. I was told by the sales rep/manager that it would take 4-6 weeks for delivery. I waited almost 8 weeks and never heard a word so I went back to the store and the manager said the reason it was taking so long was because they originally sent the wrong purchase order number to their vendor, and that it would be another 7-10 business days. I told him this was unacceptable and just wanted my money back. He agreed and said I would receive a check in three business days.

Yesterday he called me and said he could not refund the money, but could give me store credit. I told him I just wanted a refund and he said he would call me back. Today a different manager called and said they could issue me a refund minus a 20% restocking fee (almost $300). They are trying to use the excuse that they are losing money because they still had to purchase the furniture from their vendor. I said that's not my problem, I bought the furniture from them...not their vendor. They can still sell it to someone else and still profit.

Any suggestions on what my next course of action should be? Im sure someone here will try to twist this and claim its somehow my fault and I should have to pay the restocking fee...

-King-
04-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Fuck that. Get all your money back. Its their fuck up, not yours.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brock
04-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Go down there and stand on somebody's desk until they write you a check.

kepp
04-28-2011, 10:02 AM
It's absolutely their screw up. And there shouldn't be a restocking fee because it's never been de-stocked.

MTG#10
04-28-2011, 10:03 AM
They are flat out refusing to give me my money back in full.

MTG#10
04-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Can I get in trouble for trashing their business and telling my story on facebook?

Skyy God
04-28-2011, 10:05 AM
PIITB.

Skyy God
04-28-2011, 10:07 AM
a) What was the stated return policy on the receipt?

b) if you've waited 8 weeks, what's another 7-10 days?

kepp
04-28-2011, 10:11 AM

That's a fair question.

Donger
04-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Bought some furniture on March 3rd. I was told by the sales rep/manager that it would take 4-6 weeks for delivery. I waited almost 8 weeks and never heard a word so I went back to the store and the manager said the reason it was taking so long was because they originally sent the wrong purchase order number to their vendor, and that it would be another 7-10 business days. I told him this was unacceptable and just wanted my money back. He agreed and said I would receive a check in three business days.

Yesterday he called me and said he could not refund the money, but could give me store credit. I told him I just wanted a refund and he said he would call me back. Today a different manager called and said they could issue me a refund minus a 20% restocking fee (almost $300). They are trying to use the excuse that they are losing money because they still had to purchase the furniture from their vendor. I said that's not my problem, I bought the furniture from them...not their vendor. They can still sell it to someone else and still profit.

Any suggestions on what my next course of action should be? Im sure someone here will try to twist this and claim its somehow my fault and I should have to pay the restocking fee...

Accept the extra 7 to 10 days but demand a store credit for your troubles.

MTG#10
04-28-2011, 10:12 AM

The receipt says that the furniture can only be returned for store credit or a refund minus a 20% restocking fee from the time it was shipped. I dont know if that means shipped to me or them, it doesnt say. They told me two days ago that it hadnt even been shipped to them yet but today they are saying their computer shows it as "in shipping"...whatever that means.

As for your second question...really? Its the principle of it. They weren't offering me anything, why should I wait over 2 months for furniture that was supposed to only take 4-6 weeks?

Rain Man
04-28-2011, 10:14 AM

Honestly, that's my question, too. If it's annoying, it seems like a good solution would've been to ask for a small discount or get a gift certificate or something. But screwups happen sometimes, and it seems like this isn't a huge one in the grand scheme of things.

Simplex3
Can I get in trouble for trashing their business and telling my story on facebook?

Yes, in as much as you may have to fight off legal claims. Any time you wind up with legal claims you're in a gray area where you can lose even if you're right.

As to the original point: They're clearly wrong. However, if they're claiming you owe a restocking fee then that must mean they either have the furniture or it's near being delivered. Do you still want it? Are you refusing delivery just because you're pissed off at the retailer?

tooge

this is the correct answer

MOhillbilly
20% restock is pretty common. If its the dealers fuck up you shouldnt have to EVER pay the fee.
Ive been doin this for along ,long time and never passed a restock fee onto the customer.

Contact the spfld BBB.

Rain Man
04-28-2011, 10:15 AM

Perhaps an easy win would be to say, "Either deliver it to me on time or take off the delivery charge." That's probably about the right amount of discount assuming it's not free delivery.

MTG#10
04-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Yes, in as much as you may have to fight off legal claims. Any time you wind up with legal claims you're in a gray area where you can lose even if you're right.

As to the original point: They're clearly wrong. However, if they're claiming you owe a restocking fee then that must mean they either have the furniture or it's near being delivered. Do you still want it? Are you refusing delivery just because you're pissed off at the retailer?

No I dont want it, and yes Im pissed off at the retailer.

MTG#10
04-28-2011, 10:17 AM
20% restock is pretty common. If its the dealers **** up you shouldnt have to EVER pay the fee.
Ive been doin this for along ,long time and never passed a restock fee onto the customer.

Contact the spfld BBB.

Already have. And thats my whole point...I wouldnt mind paying the fee if I just changed my mind, but the reason this whole thing is taking so long is because of their admitted ****-up. Why should I have to pay for their mistake?

ChiTown
04-28-2011, 10:18 AM

You're going to lose this one. I'd take the furniture and see if you can get a freebie somewhere. Were they going to charge you for delivery? If so, maybe you can work that charge down.

Simplex3

But why don't you want it? Because you don't like it anymore? Because you moved and don't need it? If so then pay the restocking fee. Just because they made a minor error doesn't mean you aren't trying to get out of a contract.

If you don't want it simply because you're pissed off then you probably still don't have a leg to stand on legally, but it seems silly to me to blame the furniture you want for the treatment a retailer gave you.

Nebraska Furniture Mart and I are through because of how they handled the backorder on my TV. I still took the TV when it finally arrived. I don't hold it against my TV that it was late.

Donger
Perhaps an easy win would be to say, "Either deliver it to me on time or take off the delivery charge." That's probably about the right amount of discount assuming it's not free delivery.

Yes, that's good too.

MOhillbilly
04-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Do you own a pistol? If you had a .38 you could get em to do just about anything you wanted.

Brock
04-28-2011, 10:22 AM
But why don't you want it? Because you don't like it anymore? Because you moved and don't need it? If so then pay the restocking fee. Just because they made a minor error doesn't mean you aren't trying to get out of a contract.

If you don't want it simply because you're pissed off then you probably still don't have a leg to stand on legally, but it seems silly to me to blame the furniture you want for the treatment a retailer gave you.

Nebraska Furniture Mart and I are through because of how they handled the backorder on my TV. I still took the TV when it finally arrived. I don't hold it against my TV that it was late.

Failing to deliver on time is NOT a minor error. That isn't excused in any business other than retail, and I don't know why the general public puts up with it.

Saulbadguy
04-28-2011, 10:24 AM

That's what I would do.

blaise
04-28-2011, 10:25 AM
How did you pay? Check, cash, ccard, finance?

blaise
04-28-2011, 10:28 AM

Unless the order he signed says the time frame of when he'll receive delivery. If it says 6-8 weeks and it's been more than that, then the deal is basically voidable, I would think.

Skyy God
04-28-2011, 10:31 AM

Knowing your track record, you're going to screw this up. The best case outcome is store credit or free delivery, as others have suggested.

Saulbadguy
04-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Knowing your track record, you're going to screw this up. The best case outcome is store credit or free delivery, as others have suggested.

That's my thought as well. He will probably end up impregnating the customer service rep that handles this, and then he would be in a real pickle.

BigCatDaddy
04-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Refuse the order and tell them you are going to turn it over to your attorney and see what happens.

Dartgod
04-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Is this a retail furniture chain or just some local mom and pop operation? If its a chain, I'd start looking for corporate contacts. You should be able to get a full refund. They admitted they fucked up.

luv
04-28-2011, 10:37 AM
If 20% of the purchase price is $300, then the order was in the ballpark of $1500. You would really threaten to take them to court over $1500 just for "the principle" of the thing?

kstater
What interest rate did Rent-A-Center give you?

Skyy God
Refuse the order and tell them you are going to turn it over to your attorney and see what happens.

That has to be a credible threat. The furniture store manager knows good and well MTG doesn't have an attorney on retainer.

And if he called me on a horeshit problem like this, I'd quote him a $1K retainer within the first 2 minutes.

Saulbadguy
04-28-2011, 10:38 AM

I would laugh.

Skyy God
04-28-2011, 10:38 AM
What interest rate did Rent-A-Center give you?

LOL.

luv
04-28-2011, 10:39 AM
You can ask for a full refund, but you might be amazed at what you might get if you tried compromising with them.

If you're not getting a full refund, then maybe demand free shipping plus 50% of the purchase price in store credit.

ClevelandBronco
04-28-2011, 10:39 AM
I didn't read the initial post, but I already know that you're wrong.

Saulbadguy
04-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Ask for a lamp. Furniture stores are crawling with those things. Or a few throw pillows.

Brock
04-28-2011, 10:40 AM
If 20% of the purchase price is $300, then the order was in the ballpark of $1500. You would really threaten to take them to court over $1500 just for "the principle" of the thing?

Quit whining about your phone not getting there when they said it would. It's just a stupid principle.

Skyy God
04-28-2011, 10:41 AM
You can ask for a full refund, but you might be amazed at what you might get if you tried compromising with them.

This. Not being an a-hole is generally the best advice.

Donger
04-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Yeah, don't threaten legal action. Lawyers are assholes.

Donger
04-28-2011, 10:42 AM
And if he called me on a horeshit problem like this, I'd quote him a $1K retainer within the first 2 minutes.

See?

Bump
04-28-2011, 10:43 AM
go over their heads if it's a corporate place, they said 4-6 weeks and it's been 8 weeks. That should be unacceptable, but with todays standard of customer service, everybody is content with getting terrible service. I'd be pissed too and wouldn't ever buy anything from them again. Go on yelp and write about your experience, that site is growing and people are starting to use it to decide on where to go.

BigCatDaddy
04-28-2011, 10:43 AM
That has to be a credible threat. The furniture store manager knows good and well MTG doesn't have an attorney on retainer.

Can't you at least write a nice letter to them or something for like $100?

Saulbadguy
04-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Eat an entire plate of asparagus and drink a half gallon of Sunny D and go to the store and urinate all over their oriental rugs.

MIAdragon
04-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Did you pay with a credit card?

Simplex3
04-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Did you pay with a credit card?

Please don't recommend that he dispute the charges. He'll screw that up horribly.

vailpass
04-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Is there a local news tv station that has a "on your side" feature?

Skyy God
04-28-2011, 10:53 AM
See?

So you think this is a significant problem?

Predarat
Its your ex that is to blame, not the store.

RedNFeisty

I had a problem like this over a bed I had bought. They told me 2-3 weeks. I waited 30 days, then went in requesting a refund. The bed happen to be on the truck that day. The owner (local store) tried getting out of giving my refund; I simply stated that I chose their store to buy from, at this point I was not unhappy and would be returning, but if he wanted to make a stink out of it, I would be more then happy to follow in his pursuit.

What helped my cause was the bed happen to be on back order and no one told me, nor did they write it on my ticket, so I received my refund.

Not sure how you should handle it at this point except to call the Better Business Bureau. If there is a sign posted that clearly states "No Refunds", you're sort of S.O.L.

Rain Man
Or perhaps you could go live in their showroom for those two extra weeks. Every day after work, go there, sit on their couches, order pizza and eat it at their dining room set, and nap on their mattresses. It seems like a good breakeven if you get the use of their furniture for that time period that's in dispute.

Saulbadguy
04-28-2011, 10:55 AM
The better business bureau is kind of worthless, IMO.

Donger
So you think this is a significant problem?

That lawyers are assholes? No.

Graystoke
Eat an entire plate of asparagus and drink a half gallon of Sunny D and go to the store and urinate all over their oriental rugs.

:LOL:

Or get some eggs and give um the Dirty Dozen

DJ's left nut
I think you should sleep with the salesperson then adopt his bastard son.

Rain Man
04-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Or perhaps you could go live in their showroom for those two extra weeks. Every day after work, go there, sit on their couches, order pizza and eat it at their dining room set, and nap on their mattresses. It seems like a good breakeven if you get the use of their furniture for that time period that's in dispute.

The more I think about this, the more we need to convince mtg#10 that this is the best solution. And maybe video it to put on youtube.

vailpass
04-28-2011, 11:06 AM
The more I think about this, the more we need to convince mtg#10 that this is the best solution. And maybe video it to put on youtube.

Might work. Maybe use their business phone for drunken conversations with his ex during store hours.

Phobia
04-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Just send your ex-wife in there to sleep with somebody and grease the skids a little.

vailpass
04-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Just send your ex-wife in there to sleep with somebody and grease the skids a little.

LMAO

MIAdragon
04-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Please don't recommend that he dispute the charges. He'll screw that up horribly.

LMAO

MIAdragon
04-28-2011, 11:25 AM
The better business bureau is kind of worthless, IMO.

Yea, just a money making scam.

Iowanian
04-28-2011, 11:37 AM
You should probably have a friend video for our amusement.

The mood I'm in today, I say take your chainsaw down there, go into the store and start sawing shit in half unit they bring your money.

Rain Man
04-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Yea, just a money making scam.

You should report them to the Better Business Bureau.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-28-2011, 11:48 AM
let me get this straight. 7-10 days is too much time to wait, yet you voluntarily waited 2 weeks after the promised delivery time to even call about the order?

Sounds to me like someone had buyers remorse...

MIAdragon
04-28-2011, 11:52 AM
You should report them to the Better Business Bureau.

Just got those bastards to stop calling me to sign up for that crap.

Slainte
04-28-2011, 12:02 PM
This guy is rapidly becoming an underground success in this town...

Skyy God
04-28-2011, 12:47 PM
let me get this straight. 7-10 days is too much time to wait, yet you voluntarily waited 2 weeks after the promised delivery time to even call about the order?

We have a winner....

Earthling
04-28-2011, 12:55 PM
This is what small claims court is for. I would settle it there and I'm thinking you would win, especially since THEY are the ones that made the error in the order and yet are expecting you to suffer the consequences for their mistake. Also, if you win the case the store would be responsible to reimburse you for the courts filing fees.

Earthling
04-28-2011, 12:59 PM

He should not have been required to call at all. If the store manager was responsible he would have called the moment they realized that his store had made a mistake with the purchase order. This is all on the store imo.

Valiant
04-28-2011, 01:40 PM

If on cc, chargeback. Your order was never actually ordered, what did they do with the wrong stuff? Probably sent it back. If they do not give you back full refund, small claims court plus a call to the AG.

Valiant
04-28-2011, 01:48 PM

Lol, I am my phone and did not see the op's name till now.

Brutal.

vailpass
04-28-2011, 01:58 PM

He was willing to wait 14 days but not 21-24 days. There has to be a line somewhere.

Al Bundy
04-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Call corporate customer service. Then call Crate & Barrel and order it there.

vailpass
04-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Lol, I am my phone and did not see the op's name till now.

Brutal.

Right? I had to laugh.