PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Fueled by KFC-Hudson

Huffman83
04-30-2011, 01:21 PM
No...I'm not being racist. Seriously!

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/KFC-Gig-Fuels-Hudsons-NFL-Journey/b18511a0-a11c-424c-a967-3cfdb25f8fc1

KFC Gig Fuels Hudson's NFL Journey

By Josh Looney

Posted 12 hours ago

An after-school job at Kentucky Fried Chicken helped shape Rodney Hudson's football career

By the time her son was eight years old, Kathleen Hudson knew that Rodney was destined to become something special. Even as a Pop Warner player, it was clear Rodney had a gift that other children his age didn’t possess.

Each time Rodney stepped on the football field, Kathleen saw a bright future. He was the same way in the classroom, enjoying both science and math. At home, he wanted to find way to help.

College football, not to mention professional football, was years away, but Rodney had the proper mindset to go along with his physical talents.

“He was just such a driven and determined,” said Kathleen Hudson. “He always had a goal that he wanted to meet.”

Kathleen’s feeling about her son was correct.

BCS programs across the Southeast began calling and the two-way lineman would sign a full-scholarship offer to attend Florida State. After four years with the Seminoles, Hudson left as the most decorated offensive lineman in the history of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

All-American selections, All-ACC honors and Conference Player of the Week Awards flooded Hudson’s resume. Thirteen years after playing his first Pop Warner game, the Chiefs made him the 55th player selected in the 2011 NFL Draft.

The physical tools have always been there. Rivals.com ranked Hudson the 17th-best high school center in the country and Scout.com regarded him as the nation’s 45th-best offensive guard.

Rodney’s physical talents had always given him an edge, but it’s the intangibles that help take his game to the top.

With Kathleen working her own job to support the family, Rodney felt that money was tight. As a 16-year old, Hudson made his own decision to apply for after-school jobs.

He began filling out applications and an area Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant was the first to extend a job offer. Hudson promptly pounced on it. He was KFC’s newest cook.

“It made me a better man,” said Hudson of the job. “It made me grow up. I took on a lot of responsibility at a young age and it helped me out. It helped me become what I am today.”

In the beginning, Rodney’s grandmother would pick him up after football practice from B.C. Rain High School and drive him to his shift. Several months into his employment, Rodney not only helped pay a few bills, but he also able to save enough money to pay for his own car insurance as.

Once he was insured, Hudson opted to dive himself to work. The decision to seek employment at KFC was one that Rodney made on his own.

“He felt that he needed to step up and be a man and earn something to bring to our household,” Kathleen explained. “He felt that he needed to pay some bills, but we really could have gotten along without it. He wanted to take responsibility. I believe it was something like a water bill – something really small.”

“I just felt that it was needed,” Hudson remembered. “I see my mom who was doing all of this for me. I was 16 years old and we were in the off-season for football so I figured why not? During that time of the season we were lifting weights and going home after school. I had the time so I figured why not?”

Beginning in elementary school, Hudson laid out goals and wouldn’t stop working until they were complete. It’s an attitude he’s carried throughout his life.

When the Florida State coaching staff asked its offensive line to get better in the weight room, Hudson became one of the team’s strongest players.

When he felt his mother needed extra help, Hudson took the job in fast food.

That work ethic has followed him from a young age and continues to stand out to those around him.

“He’s one that’s going to come to work everyday,” Florida State Head Coach Jimbo Fisher said of Hudson. “He’s extremely smart and totally committed to playing football and has a passion to be great and to win and will do anything he has to do to be a great teammate. “

Like fellow Day Two draft picks Justin Houston and Allen Bailey, Hudson fills a position of need for Kansas City. The Chiefs’ interior offensive line is tenured. Casey Wiegmann turn 38 years old this summer, while Brian Waters will play at age 34 and Ryan Lilja is turning 30 in October.

With Hudson, the Chiefs are preparing for the future at each of the three interior positions. Hudson excelled at left guard for the Seminoles, but also played center and left tackle.

In Kansas City, he’ll begin his career at center.

“We felt (an) area (of need) was having more stability on the inside of our offensive line,” Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli said. “As I have talked about before, it is not only drafting for today, but tomorrow, the near and distant future.”

Not surprising, Hudson says he’ll play wherever the Chiefs want him to.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2011, 01:23 PM
KFC MAKES A MAN COUNTRY STRONG

beach tribe
04-30-2011, 01:27 PM
"Make way for the bird. Make way for the bird" [Dave Chappelle pixie/]

Huffman83
04-30-2011, 01:27 PM
KFC Bowl!!! NAO!!!!!