Hammock Parties
04-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Height
6 ' 2.0 "

Weight
265 lbs.

Speed
4.69 ( Pro Day )

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/2010-11/photos/0018/Shane_Bannon_2.jpg?max_width=800&max_height=600

At Pomperaug High School: Earned eight varsity letters between football, track and hockey... 2006 all-league football selection... Captained team in the 2007 Governor's Cup All-Star Game... Team won 2004 league and state gridiron titles... Also played defensive line... Captained track & field team... 2006-07 all-league thrower/jumper... South-West Conference All-Academic Team.

Personal: Shane John Bannon is the son of Robert and Lisa Bannon... Calhoun College resident.

Strengths
Surprising athlete at the position. Can play FB or H-Back, and has done both for Yale. Good lead blocker who is able to open holes for the back. Solid receiver out of the backfield. Smart player who shows a real love of the game. Relishes contact.

Weaknesses
Will struggle to get open as a receiver at the next level. Can't do much with the ball in his hands. More of a technically-sound blocker than a physically dominant one. Will need to continue to add functional strength.

Projection
Should get into a camp and will need to be a special teams ace to stick on a roster.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Will struggle to get open as a receiver at the next level.

Motherfuck you, Scott Pioli.

wazu
04-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Wall Street Journal Article (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703567404576293221700080438.html?mod=googlenews_wsj)

Yale Fullback Pulls an NFL End Run

By SCOTT CACCIOLA

Shane Bannon will watch the final four rounds of the NFL Draft on Saturday with his family and a few friends at home in Southbury, Conn. And like dozens, perhaps even hundreds, of other late-round hopefuls, Bannon, a former Yale fullback, will watch and wait to see if his name is called.

Whether it happens or not, Bannon's NFL candidacy is something of a minor miracle. Until about six weeks ago, almost no one outside of the Ivy League—not even the most obsessive NFL draftniks—had ever heard of him.

View Full Image

Yale
Yale's Shane Bannon has drawn late interest from several NFL teams.

Over the past month, thanks to a freakishly intense training program, and a little old-fashioned marketing, Bannon's fortunes have changed. At least eight NFL teams have worked him out. On Tuesday, the tight ends coach from the Chicago Bears arrived in New Haven to put Bannon through drills and chart his "measurables," which include a 40-yard dash time of 4.69 seconds. Against all odds, he's a bona fide prospect.

"I expect him to get picked, although he might not," said Joe Linta, his Connecticut-based agent. "But the fact that he's even in the conversation is virtually unprecedented. It illustrates just how inexact the scouting process can be. Here's a kid who completely slipped through the cracks."

More than 2,000 draft-eligible prospects are listed on the two major scouting reports that most NFL teams use as a foundation to guide them through the process. Taking into account that a mere 224 players will be drafted his weekend, these lists might seem excessive.

Nevertheless, Bannon, a bruising athlete at 6-foot-2 and 265 pounds, played his senior season at Yale without being listed on either one. He didn't participate in the NFL Combine. He wasn't invited to any senior all-star games.

In fact, CBSSports.com updated a list of 84 fullback prospects last week and Bannon still was nowhere to be found. (He finally made an appearance this week at No. 18.)

Bannon had a couple of significant strikes against him. He played for Yale, which hasn't been a football powerhouse since Larry Kelley and Clint Frank claimed back-to-back Heisman Trophies in the 1930s. And there was the small matter of his position. Fullbacks are a dying breed, with more and more NFL offenses relying on pass-heavy schemes. "There's just less of a need for that traditional lead-blocking fullback," said Rob Rang, an analyst with NFLDraftScout.com.

As a senior, Bannon caught 13 passes for 122 yards and a touchdown. The Bulldogs, who went 7-3 overall, 5-2 in the Ivy League, employed him almost exclusively as a blocker. "I just wasn't one of those guys who had huge amounts of stats, and scouts seem to go off stats when it comes to Ivy League players," Bannon said.

Undaunted by these grim realities, Bannon returned to campus this winter a full two weeks before the start of spring classes to begin a training program designed by Yale's strength and conditioning coach. The idea was to prepare himself for Yale's "pro day"—a showcase for scouts—at the end of March.

He committed himself to the program, rising before 7 a.m. most days. "He hasn't been living the college life, I guess you could say," said Alex Barnes, a roommate and former teammate.

Bannon also said he spent three days in the Yale football offices going through hundreds of hours of game film to create his own highlight DVD for coaches. He culled 33 plays that showed him lining up at fullback, tight end and H-back, a hybrid position in the backfield.

This sort of versatility is valued by NFL teams that are hesitant to use up a roster spot on a conventional fullback.

The turning point for Bannon was one afternoon in early March, when he said he "tagged along" with teammate Sean Williams, a defensive end, to a workout for Linta. A Yale coach had asked Linta to do him a favor and put Bannon through a battery of tests. "I'd never heard of him," Linta said. "But I knew right away that the kid was legit."

Linta said he did what agents do—he got on the phone, calling confidantes around the league. Word spread, and Bannon put his self-made DVD to use. A highlight was a trip to Green Bay to meet with the Packers at Lambeau Field, which he likened to a "giant museum."

Bannon said he has gotten good feedback from teams, though he knows there are no guarantees—a fact of life in football that he understands better than most. "I don't really have a gut feeling about the draft," Bannon said. "I would hope it happens. But at the same time, I feel like I've put myself in a pretty good place. Even if I don't get picked, I'm pretty confident somebody will sign me as a free agent. I love to play football, and this was all about giving myself a chance."

Especially when nobody else did.

eazyb81
04-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Word is he was drafted simply to help Powe learn to read.

siberian khatru
04-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Interesting.

Red Dawg
04-30-2011, 04:16 PM

Shut yo mouth bitch! Don't talk about Powe like that.

Rain Man
04-30-2011, 04:16 PM
At one point Yale was one of the top ten football colleges in the country.

ChiefMojo
04-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Well everyone has to remember that Castille isn't likely to come back. So that leaves us with only Cox at Fullback. Now we have two Fullbacks and I'm sure Bannon could be a Special Teams stud as well. Offensively he looks like strictly a lead blocker.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Dude is a bro.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/173675_504510423_6255107_n.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/9kcyh0.jpg

Chiefnj2
04-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Shane's job is to read to Powe.

DaWolf
04-30-2011, 04:27 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bHeuEYgEE90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties
04-30-2011, 04:29 PM
That dude is such a bro. LMAO

Ming the Merciless
04-30-2011, 04:33 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR13g65nFxlX2ekrlxiJKnKsxIunM9f_gzRvUazV4tXXMHD8G4LtA&t=1

nascher
04-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Well everyone has to remember that Castille isn't likely to come back. So that leaves us with only Cox at Fullback. Now we have two Fullbacks and I'm sure Bannon could be a Special Teams stud as well. Offensively he looks like strictly a lead blocker.

Why ? Because there is no FA ? Teams can still resign UFA when the League Year begins.

WV
04-30-2011, 04:36 PM
http://www.mywebpower.com/graphics/thumbs/quotes/duude.jpg

Thig Lyfe
04-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Seems to have the boorish manners of a Yalie.

Hammock Parties
04-30-2011, 04:38 PM
In an unprecedented Chiefsplanet event, I have friend requested a Chiefs draft pick. I want to see how deep the bro hole goes.

Rain Man
04-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Seems to have the boorish manners of a Yalie.

Egad! A Yale man!

(One of my favorite lines ever on Gilligan's Island.)

Bowser
04-30-2011, 04:53 PM
This means that he will likely be beating out Mike Cox.

BigRock
04-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Dude is a bro.

That guy's profile says he's Canadian. He's not our guy.

suzzer99
04-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Dude is a bro.

Why does he have a $1 tucked into his shirt?

Rain Man
04-30-2011, 05:01 PM
Why does he have a $1 tucked into his shirt?

He's so good that strippers give HIM money.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-30-2011, 05:07 PM
Powe doesn't need to read.!

KcMizzou
04-30-2011, 05:14 PM
@Shanej37 Shane Bannon
Don't even know what to say! Thanks to everyone who believed in me! Can't wait to get to work in kansas city!

Thig Lyfe
04-30-2011, 05:25 PM
@Shanej37 Shane Bannon
Don't even know what to say! Thanks to everyone who believed in me! Can't wait to get to work in kansas city!

@pow999999 jrel pwo

iam xicted eiwok ina kcasn ciayt wtuaih cajcoh hlaey nda sotos piaoalo!!!!

Just Passin' By
04-30-2011, 05:27 PM
@Shanej37 Shane Bannon

Fuck you! Get a meatpacking job, chump./NFL owners

Bowser
04-30-2011, 05:30 PM
@pow999999 jrel pwo

http://planetzman.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/fat-guy-eating-giant-hamburger1.jpg

bishop_74
04-30-2011, 05:36 PM
@pow999999 jrel pwo

Holy crap that was awesome.

Captain Obvious
04-30-2011, 06:25 PM
@pow999999 jrel pwo

Nut?

booger
04-30-2011, 06:35 PM
This means that he will likely be beating out Mike Cox.

OK. Just as long as he will not be beating off Mike Cox

TinyEvel
04-30-2011, 06:37 PM
I LOL'd at several posts in this thread. God Bless Chiefs Planet! You make a 6-hour drive from Phoenix to L.A. Bearable. :thumb:

PunkinDrublic
04-30-2011, 06:40 PM
I wonder if he's a member of skull and bones.

Bowser
04-30-2011, 07:17 PM

They don't let their members pop their collars like that.

Rain Man
04-30-2011, 07:18 PM

He's the one who brings the skulls.

go bo
04-30-2011, 08:39 PM
At one point Yale was one of the top ten football colleges in the country.yeah, back in the middle ages...

Ebolapox
04-30-2011, 09:50 PM
In an unprecedented Chiefsplanet event, I have friend requested a Chiefs draft pick. I want to see how deep the bro hole goes.

(insert obligatory 'clay wants to see how deep his bro hole is' joke)...yeah...(/joke)

tk13
04-30-2011, 09:53 PM

And then an 11th college started a football program.

Bowser
04-30-2011, 09:55 PM

Was that when they used to settle disagreements on the front lawn with pistols at twenty paces?

BIG K
04-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Height
6 ' 2.0 "

Weight
265 lbs.

Speed
4.69 ( Pro Day )

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m-footbl/2010-11/photos/0018/Shane_Bannon_2.jpg?max_width=800&max_height=600

At Pomperaug High School: Earned eight varsity letters between football, track and hockey... 2006 all-league football selection... Captained team in the 2007 Governor's Cup All-Star Game... Team won 2004 league and state gridiron titles... Also played defensive line... Captained track & field team... 2006-07 all-league thrower/jumper... South-West Conference All-Academic Team.

Personal: Shane John Bannon is the son of Robert and Lisa Bannon... Calhoun College resident.

Strengths
Surprising athlete at the position. Can play FB or H-Back, and has done both for Yale. Good lead blocker who is able to open holes for the back. Solid receiver out of the backfield. Smart player who shows a real love of the game. Relishes contact.

Weaknesses
Will struggle to get open as a receiver at the next level. Can't do much with the ball in his hands. More of a technically-sound blocker than a physically dominant one. Will need to continue to add functional strength.

Projection
Should get into a camp and will need to be a special teams ace to stick on a roster.

How big was Iron Head Hayward?

HotRoute
04-30-2011, 11:33 PM
I think people are underestimating his value to be a pass blocker, with jones likely gone in another year or two and charles and now mccluster being mainly recievers out of the backfield, hopefully this guy will be able to pick up some of the blitzes thrown our way

if anything else hopefully he is a big upgrade over cox/castille

Sure-Oz
05-01-2011, 02:59 PM
http://twitter.com/Shanej37

Dante84
05-01-2011, 08:27 PM
I LOL'd at several posts in this thread. God Bless Chiefs Planet! You make a 6-hour drive from Phoenix to L.A. Bearable. :thumb:

It took you 6 hours to read this thread?

Powe, that you?

Dante84
05-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Also, can anyone find an ounce of game film on this kid? Or Gabe Miller?

I'd like to at least see them in action...

...Clay?

Hammock Parties
05-01-2011, 08:30 PM
I'll look on Ten Yard Torrents. I've been downloading Pitt/GA/Ole Miss games

ReynardMuldrake
05-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Shanej37 Shane Bannon

Need to get some chiefs gear....at least a hat and sweatshirt until I get in the building. Pumped to be a part of the #chiefsnation

Shanej37 Shane Bannon

Thanks for all the follows chiefs fans! Cant wait to strap on the pads and show you what I'm all about! Can't wait to hear you at arrowhead!

Shanej37 Shane Bannon

Everyone is showing so much love! Feel so honored! So happy and excited to get to work!

Shanej37 Shane Bannon

Our new fullback is a pol sci grad from Yale. I'm loving this dude. He even tweets in complete sentences!

HotRoute
05-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Our new fullback is a pol sci grad from Yale. I'm loving this dude. He even tweets in complete sentences!

Could be a steal, in the pioli PC he said mo carthon gave him one of his highest grades in this years draft, and that mo is a very hard grader on backs

bevischief
05-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Word.

Fritz88
05-02-2011, 01:52 PM

Huge difference between how he tweets and some other pros tweet.

HotRoute
05-02-2011, 01:53 PM

your work on vids is much appreciated

MoreLemonPledge
05-02-2011, 02:44 PM
His is just a name in the small type, like the other 253 draftees.

Round 7, overall pick 223: RB Shane Bannon, Yale.

"But it's amazing,'' said Shane Bannon's agent, Joe Linta. "This kid wasn't even on the map 30 days ago.''

Well, 40, to be fair. No one knew who he was until a small-college pro day, in a workout facility in tiny Tolland, Conn., was wedged into the NFL schedule, early in the morning on March 23, before the regularly scheduled UConn event that day.

Bannon is 6-2 and 265 pounds. He never carried the ball last year in a game, and he had 13 catches. He got picked by the Chiefs in the seventh round Saturday night because he's a great blocker and can be a tempo-setter on special teams. "He would kill people,'' said Ross Tucker, my buddy and a broadcaster who did an Ivy League game of the week last year for the YES Network. "But I had no idea he was a prospect. Shane Bannon got drafted? I never figured that.''

Credit Linta, who also got the lightly regarded Tucker a pro tryout with the Redskins after his Princeton career, a tryout that led to a seven-year NFL career. Pro GMs like Scott Pioli of the Chiefs respect Linta more than many agents because he's a former coach, and because he's brought them solid prospects before.

"He really helped me,'' said Bannon, who will graduate from Yale later this month. "I'm not your classic football prospect. I didn't even play football until my sophomore year in high school, and then, I never dreamed of this as a possibility.'' Then Linta saw some tape of Bannon, thought he should be in an NFL camp as a special-teamer and blocking back, and began spreading the word. "I was going to work like a crazy man to spread the word on him once I saw the film,'' Linta said.

He got Bannon in front of some NFL teams -- New England, Seattle, Kansas City, Chicago. Five others came to his pro day. And when he ran a 4.7 40-yard dash, suddenly he wasn't just a lumbering lug. He was a prospect. "I felt if I worked hard and Joe did what he does well, I might have a chance," said Bannon. "At the end of the year, no one knew who I was. I went from being completely unknown to, in the last month, being on a few teams' radar.''

Said Pioli: "I've done a lot of business with Joe. The scouting system is far from perfect. We miss guys sometimes. It's an inexact science. That's where Joe can help sometimes. He knows players.''

So now the lone Ivy Leaguer to hear his name called over the weekend in the draft has a shot. Underdogs everywhere will be watching.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/05/01/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1LEJtiB5d

Hammock Parties
05-02-2011, 02:47 PM
This dude owns.

http://i52.tinypic.com/htfzi0.jpg

ModSocks
05-02-2011, 03:35 PM
This dude owns.

Dumbass.

BigChiefFan
05-02-2011, 04:03 PM
His is just a name in the small type, like the other 253 draftees.

Round 7, overall pick 223: RB Shane Bannon, Yale.

"But it's amazing,'' said Shane Bannon's agent, Joe Linta. "This kid wasn't even on the map 30 days ago.''

Well, 40, to be fair. No one knew who he was until a small-college pro day, in a workout facility in tiny Tolland, Conn., was wedged into the NFL schedule, early in the morning on March 23, before the regularly scheduled UConn event that day.

Bannon is 6-2 and 265 pounds. He never carried the ball last year in a game, and he had 13 catches. He got picked by the Chiefs in the seventh round Saturday night because he's a great blocker and can be a tempo-setter on special teams. "He would kill people,'' said Ross Tucker, my buddy and a broadcaster who did an Ivy League game of the week last year for the YES Network. "But I had no idea he was a prospect. Shane Bannon got drafted? I never figured that.''

Credit Linta, who also got the lightly regarded Tucker a pro tryout with the Redskins after his Princeton career, a tryout that led to a seven-year NFL career. Pro GMs like Scott Pioli of the Chiefs respect Linta more than many agents because he's a former coach, and because he's brought them solid prospects before.

"He really helped me,'' said Bannon, who will graduate from Yale later this month. "I'm not your classic football prospect. I didn't even play football until my sophomore year in high school, and then, I never dreamed of this as a possibility.'' Then Linta saw some tape of Bannon, thought he should be in an NFL camp as a special-teamer and blocking back, and began spreading the word. "I was going to work like a crazy man to spread the word on him once I saw the film,'' Linta said.

He got Bannon in front of some NFL teams -- New England, Seattle, Kansas City, Chicago. Five others came to his pro day. And when he ran a 4.7 40-yard dash, suddenly he wasn't just a lumbering lug. He was a prospect. "I felt if I worked hard and Joe did what he does well, I might have a chance," said Bannon. "At the end of the year, no one knew who I was. I went from being completely unknown to, in the last month, being on a few teams' radar.''

Said Pioli: "I've done a lot of business with Joe. The scouting system is far from perfect. We miss guys sometimes. It's an inexact science. That's where Joe can help sometimes. He knows players.''

So now the lone Ivy Leaguer to hear his name called over the weekend in the draft has a shot. Underdogs everywhere will be watching.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/05/01/mmqb/index.html#ixzz1LEJtiB5dGood insight. Thanks.

KurtCobain
05-02-2011, 04:56 PM
OK. Just as long as he will not be beating off Mike Cox

Every time i see a mike cox joke it reminds me of Mecca's obsession with a Hunt son named Mike.

Titty Meat
05-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Camp fodder.

Ebolapox
05-02-2011, 05:28 PM
let's hope race bannon does well for us.

mckinger
05-02-2011, 05:58 PM
let's hope race bannon does well for us.

Well said Haji...

Dante84
05-02-2011, 11:24 PM

Any luck on this? Seems like a tool, but from the limited buzz I've heard about him, he apparently blocks like a rolling boulder.

I'd love to see him knocking the shit out of some dudes, to put a little dollop of whip cream on this badass draft.

Thig Lyfe
05-04-2011, 07:18 PM
This dude owns.

RIGHT 53?!??!?

Sure-Oz
05-04-2011, 07:25 PM
That isnt even shane bannon atleast the yale version