PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Planeteers: Rate the Draft

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Vote, and then tell us what you think.

What does the Planet have to say??? Your grade for the draft, please?

Then, tell us why.....

Kansas City Chiefs

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-round-input:1/dt-by-team-input:kc

Needs Analysis: The Chiefs will face a first-place schedule and need to get better in order to duplicate the 10-6 mark that won the division a year ago. A young nose tackle like Baylor's Phil Taylor would make sense in the first round, especially considering how general manager Scott Pioli built the Patriots with defensive linemen taken early in drafts. A wide receiver opposite Dwayne Bowe would help open up the passing game and keep opponents from rolling coverage to his side of the field. I signed center Casey Wiegmann coming out of college as an undrafted free agent in 1996 and he is still playing at a Pro Bowl level. Even though he missed just one game over the last 10 years, it is time to add a young center. There might be a temptation to take an offensive tackle if a top prospect is still on the board at No. 21.

Round 1, Pick 26 (26) (From Falcons through Browns)

Jonathan Baldwin
WR
6'4"
Pittsburgh

Pick Analysis: Todd Hailey identifies an explosive complementary receiver to pair with Dwayne Bowe. Baldwin has remarkable athleticism and skills, but hasn't been consistent throughout his career. However, his potential is off the charts, and he could become a difference maker in the Chiefs' vertical passing game.

Round 2, Pick 23 (55)

Rodney Hudson
OL
6'2"
Florida St.

Pick Analysis: Scott Pioli addresses the Chiefs' biggest offensive need with the selection of Hudson. He brings strength, power and toughness to the interior of their offensive line as a potential guard or center. This should help Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones find plenty of running room between the tackles.

Round 3, Pick 6 (70) (From Browns)

Justin Houston
LB
6'3"
Georgia

Pick Analysis: The Chiefs nab a first-round talent with the selection of Houston. He is an explosive pass rusher with the initial quickness and burst to consistently pressure the passer off the edges. Though he suffered a dramatic slip on draft day due to some character concerns, he gives them a big-time playmaker along their defensive front.

Round 3, Pick 22 (86)

Allen Bailey
DL
6'3"
Miami

Pick Analysis: The Chiefs pick up a versatile frontline player with the addition of Bailey. He has played defensive end and tackle during his career at Miami but looks like a solid five-technique with the Chiefs. He will be counted on to add some juice and playmaking to the defense as a rotational player.

Round 4, Pick 21 (118)

Jalil Brown
DB
6'1"
Colorado

Pick Analysis: Romeo Crennel gets another talented cover man to incorporate into his defense. Brown has good instincts and physical skills, and could become a key contributor as part of their sub-package on passing downs.

Round 5, Pick 4 (135) (From Broncos through Buccaneers)

Ricky Stanzi
QB
6'4"
Iowa

Pick Analysis: The former Hawkeye is a classic developmental prospect at the position. He has outstanding intangibles and understands how to quickly work through his progressions in the pocket. He could be a valuable backup option for the Chiefs.

Round 5, Pick 9 (140) (From Lions)

Gabe Miller
OLB
6'3"
Oregon St.

Pick Analysis: The Chiefs pick up another young linebacker to incorporate into their defensive rotation. He will vie for time immediately as a special teams player.

Round 6, Pick 34 (199) (Compensatory Selection)

Jerrell Powe
DL
6'2"
Mississippi

Pick Analysis: Powe has power and is able to fight through double teams. He has a chance to get snaps on a situational basis in the Chiefs' scheme.

Round 7, Pick 20 (223)

Shane Bannon
FB
Yale

Mr. Laz
04-30-2011, 06:42 PM
non-public poll fail

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2011, 06:43 PM
I know I use to do a much more thorough, and personal take, on the draft....but just don't have the time these days....yet I still want a sense for what others are thinking.

:hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2011, 06:43 PM
non-public poll fail

MODS: can you fix this???

Please????

:toast:

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-30-2011, 06:48 PM
A-.

The Miller pick was terrible and the Bannon pick was pretty shitty too.

Still, great draft.

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Anyone know?

Can the Mod-gods fix that--and make the poll public, for us??? :shrug:

cdcox
04-30-2011, 06:50 PM

Gadzooks
04-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Anyone know?

I hope not.

Mr. Laz
04-30-2011, 06:52 PM
The Chiefs took their best shot in this draft imo.

They even took players whose character didn't live up to the bill because they wanted the best talent. They took some guys who upsides are great but might have a caveat.

Baldwin - superb talent but has attitude
Houston - outstanding athlete and elite talent ... motivational issues
Powe - Huge upside ... 1st round size and talent. Tiny little brain.

if these 3 reach anywhere near their potential this was an outstanding draft.

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2011, 06:53 PM
I hope not.

Heh...you voted F-, eh? And don't want neg-repped into CP hell, eh? LMAO

cdcox
04-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Look at it this way, if someone had said we were going to get

Baldwin
Hudson
Houston
Baily
Stanzi
Powe

before the draft started, people would say you were on crack.

Gadzooks
04-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Gotta say I was curious about the Bailey and Powe picks. It seems like they added them for situational depth but the board seems to think they're going to be saviours for the defense.
Does anyone have a take on this?

BossChief
04-30-2011, 06:59 PM
A+

We came in with serious needs at prominent positions and came out with unimaginable value at almost all of our picks.

Our biggest needs, in order of importance IMO:

WR - Baldwin
NT - Powe
C - Hudson
OLB - Houston, Miller
RT
QB2 - Stanzi
WR3

In a bad draft you get`1 contributor and not much else
In a average draft, you get one starter and a couple role players
In a good draft, you get two starters and a couple role players
In a very good draft you get a difference maker and a couple starters

in a draft like we just had, we have added 3 possible probowl caliber talents and a couple starters and a couple role players.

3 of the last 4 drafts have been homeruns.

Mr. Laz
04-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Gotta say I was curious about the Bailey and Powe picks. It seems like they added them for situational depth but the board seems to think they're going to be saviours for the defense.
Does anyone have a take on this?
Powe's upside is huge, going by talent he's the 2nd ranked NT in the draft imo.

1. Phil Taylor
2. Jerrell Powe

but apparently he's almost completely illiterate and drop like a rock in the draft.

patteeu
04-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Anyone know?

It would be bad form to change a poll from private to public after votes have been cast.

CrazyPhuD
04-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Powe's upside is huge, going by talent he's the 2nd ranked NT in the draft imo.

1. Phil Taylor
2. Jerrell Powe

but apparently he's almost completely illiterate and drop like a rock in the draft.

People were most worried about his signability. Apparently you can't sign a contract if you can't sign you name. Looks like making your mark with an 'X' isn't legal anymore. :shrug:

patteeu
04-30-2011, 07:06 PM
I voted A, but I'm always optimistic on draft day.

Huffman83
04-30-2011, 07:08 PM
I would have liked to seen some OT help, but in general most of the needs of the team were met. And KC seems to have been able to get some decent/talented players.

It's too early to start sucking each others dicks about it, but I think it's a step in the direction the team should be going.

To the SHIP!!!

Phobia
04-30-2011, 07:13 PM
MODS: can you fix this???

Please????

:toast:

No. Can't be done.

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2011, 07:15 PM
No. Can't be done.

Thanks anyway, Phil. :toast:

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2011, 07:20 PM
70% say A? Really?

Rain Man
04-30-2011, 07:25 PM
The day after the draft is always an A+ at a minimum. If there was a letter before A, and a mathematical indicator more powerful than +, I'd use both of those.

Is a multiplication sign more powerful than a +? What about exponential?

What comes before A? I need something before an A.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-30-2011, 07:28 PM
70% say A? Really?

Value met need in perfect harmony.

el borracho
04-30-2011, 07:29 PM
No real complaints, although I would have loved to draft Mallet in the 2nd and find a C later in the draft (perhaps the pick we used on Stanzi).

Easy 6
04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
70% say A? Really?

IMO, they covered seemingly every single position that needed addressed, barely reached for anything, if at all & made shrewd moves from beginning to end.

For now, its a solid A.

Gadzooks
04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
No. Can't be done.

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2011, 07:38 PM

Am I logged on as Zooks, now..... :hmmm:

Heh...

Direckshun
04-30-2011, 07:39 PM
It's objectively an A+ draft.

warpaint*
04-30-2011, 07:39 PM
A-.

Improvement at wr, olb, dline, oline.

The OreSt guy looks like a waste. Other than that, strike up the band.

GordonGekko
04-30-2011, 07:43 PM
B+. Like an 88 or 89 out of 100. Would have been an A but the wasted 5th round pick on the OSU LB

Chief Roundup
04-30-2011, 07:45 PM

Seems impossible to be that bad and pass entrance exams to get into and stay in college.

GordonGekko
04-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Awesome how arguably our best pick was a compensatory 6th round choice

Shaid
04-30-2011, 07:50 PM
B+

It's potentially an outstanding draft if our coaches can get the players to fall into line correctly. The lockout really hinders that. Baldwin, Powe, and Houston especially need some early coach interaction. Although, I can't really say I'd have picked differently at those spots. I'd have picked Powe a lot earlier.

kysirsoze
04-30-2011, 07:54 PM
I could not have imagined being this happy with the draft. Easily A+.

COchief
04-30-2011, 07:58 PM
B+ the only thing keeping it from an A+ below:

I feel like Miller, Brown, and Bannon could have been better spent on Oline, backup safety, or a running back (not sure if thats the plan for Bannon).

DeezNutz
04-30-2011, 08:01 PM
A-

Outstanding days one and two, which far overshadow a pretty decent day three.

Bwana
04-30-2011, 08:01 PM
A

siberian khatru
04-30-2011, 08:18 PM
A-

Huffman83
04-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Look at it this way, if someone had said we were going to get

Baldwin
Hudson
Houston
Baily
Stanzi
Powe

before the draft started, people would say you were on crack.

I agree. While looking at the Lindy's magazine draft guide and looking up all of my markings I've had over the past few months, there were a lot of guys that I just didn't mark up because I figured they would be gone already!

SAUTO
04-30-2011, 08:21 PM
A
Posted via Mobile Device

Huffman83
04-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Awesome how arguably our best pick was a compensatory 6th round choice

I think a lot of us can agree that we've watched the draft the past 2 years knowing that KC was playing a 3-4 set, and for the past 2 years the KC brass has ignored the NT spot and it's killed the Chiefs.

We're also just tired of Ron Edwards continually making the starting line up. He probably still will, but even if Powe develops in a short amount of time, Edwards is still a good reserve D lineman.

Huffman83
04-30-2011, 08:28 PM
This message has been deleted by Simply Red. Reason: no need to start back like that

I'm sure there's a reason.

Simply Red
04-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Based on my ltd knowledge of each pick not named Justin Houstin, i'll say 'B' -
I like how it seemed Pioli did NOT try the crowd-pleaser and remained frugal. He's a businessman, I can just tell. All in all, not impulsive - good 'form-fitting' talent for our style. I like it, i think.

Simply Red
04-30-2011, 08:37 PM
This message has been deleted by Simply Red. Reason: no need to start back like that

I'm sure there's a reason.

I was going to give Kotter crap - no need for that around here. Actually he did nothing wrong regarding the thread.

FAX
04-30-2011, 08:40 PM
This is a class that is going to test our coaching staff.

For many threads, I have believed that the Chiefs suck hard at player development. That seems to have begun to change under ... dare I say it ... Herm. And, because we don't have any veteran players anymore, Haley.

However, this isn't a draft class of statesmen and over-achievers. These are, for the most part, physical specimens who are pretty raw. If Haley & Co. can develop these guys, Pioli is right; our football team just got a lot faster and stronger.

FAX

trndobrd
04-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Overall an 'A' based on the day one trade to fill a need at WR AND pick up a first round talent Justin Houston to fill the need for a legitimate rusher opposite Tamba Hali.

2nd Round pick Rodney Hudson should also be in the lineup on day one and could be the long term solution at center.

3rd and 4th round picks should make the squad and add depth.

Picking up a decent QB prospect in the 5th round is never a bad idea, especially with Croyle leaving and Palko waiting in the wings.

5th Round pick of Gabe Miller is what kept this draft from being an "A+". Maybe will develop into the rotation, but seems unlikely. Arena League standout?

Kudos to Pioli and Co for getting the value of Powe just right. Picking him up in the 6th was a masterful display of patience. He will be in the rotation on the first game as a legitimate NT.

7th round pick? If the 7th round pick makes the roster it's a bonus. Bannon may find blocking linebackers in the NFL is a little different than pushing around guys in the Ivy League. Hopefully, he will write some fun 'life in training camp' pieces on the Chiefs website.

3 Starters + 3 Players making the squad as backups = A

Chiefnj2
04-30-2011, 09:09 PM
A : Houston and Stanzi
A-: Bailey
B+: Baldwin (for getting an extra 3rd, otherwise a B)
B: Hudson
C: Powe, Brown
D: Bannon
F: Miller

Simply Red
04-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Honestly - I'd rather just say: I pretty much have a Football hard-on. The board seems peaceful, ... & life's so rad.

T-post Tom
04-30-2011, 09:18 PM
Someone mark their calendar to bump this thread in 3 years.

Simply Red
04-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Someone mark their calendar to bump this thread in 3 years.

just merge it w/ Throat-Coating Thursdays.

Bane
04-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Private draft grade poll...........:banghead::banghead::bang::bang::bang::bang:

the Talking Can
04-30-2011, 09:30 PM
it's the least disappointing draft ever

A

our first 3 picks are starters, and all at of positions of need...that alone makes it a good draft

then we have a bunch of interesting pieces, including a legit developmental QB and a NT whose upside is way beyond the 6 round he was taken in

we added beef and athleticism to the front 7, a big time talent at WR, and got arguably the best center in the draft...fuck yeah

it's also an A for the way it was managed: trading down, drafting a wr and not a rt, letting value fall, snatching houston...getting powe in the 6th when we were freaking out about him in the 3/4th..

whoman69
04-30-2011, 09:33 PM
I think they hit all the needs with the best choices available at the time. No big steals, no home runs, but a solid effort.

fingokra
04-30-2011, 09:39 PM
A : Houston and Stanzi
A-: Bailey
B+: Baldwin (for getting an extra 3rd, otherwise a B)
B: Hudson
C: Powe, Brown
D: Bannon
F: Miller

I don't know much about most of the guys, however Powe I know about. If you think getting Powe in the 6th is a C as in average, I believe you have very unrealistic expectations of the quality of talent left in the 6th round. He is clearly above average at that point in the draft. Add in the factor that he as at a position that the Chiefs apparently really need, and he is an easy A if not an A+. Hell there were 20 people on this board pissed he wasn't picked in the 3rd.

Chiefnj2
04-30-2011, 09:42 PM
I don't know much about most of the guys, however Powe I know about. If you think getting Powe in the 6th is a C as in average, I believe you have very unrealistic expectations of the quality of talent left in the 6th round. He is clearly above average at that point in the draft. Add in the factor that he as at a position that the Chiefs apparently really need, and he is an easy A if not an A+. Hell there were 20 people on this board pissed he wasn't picked in the 3rd.

There were 60 people on this board last year who were pissed KC didn't draft Jimmy Clausen in the first round.

Lots of draft site had him rated as a 6th/7th round pick. He is what he is, he filled a need at a spot he was predicted to be drafted at.

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Honestly - I'd rather just say: I pretty much have a Football hard-on. The board seems peaceful, ... & life's so rad.

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Mr. Kotter
04-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Private draft grade poll...........:banghead::banghead::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Wish I could have changed that...or the mod-gods....but, still, it will be "bumped" some day, in the next 2-3 years.....

MagicHef
04-30-2011, 10:59 PM
The day after the draft is always an A+ at a minimum. If there was a letter before A, and a mathematical indicator more powerful than +, I'd use both of those.

Is a multiplication sign more powerful than a +? What about exponential?

What comes before A? I need something before an A.

Alphabetically, numbers come before A, and zero would be the first number. Therefore, you should probably give this draft a zero.