PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Gus Johnson no longer announcing for CBS

RealSNR
05-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Hope SOME network hires this guy. They just got to.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/richard_deitsch/05/05/gusjohnson.cbs/

Pasta Little Brioni
05-05-2011, 04:04 PM
He'll be headed to FOX soon. NFL Network passed over him for Nessler.

Scorp
05-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I liked me some Gus.

Fritz88
05-05-2011, 04:08 PM
He'll be headed to FOX soon. NFL Network passed over him for Nessler.

NFL are idiots.

ShowtimeSBMVP
05-05-2011, 04:11 PM
NFL are idiots.

Dude gus is gonna want big money do you really think the nfl network is gonna hire him for 7 games?

Thig Lyfe
05-05-2011, 04:13 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Al Michaels should retire and pass the SNF mic over to MC Gus.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-05-2011, 04:13 PM
NFL are idiots.

Meh, not really. Nessler is a damn fine choice and was outstanding during the Chiefs MNF game last year. Great hire. Gus will get hired by FOX shortly for more games.

Thig Lyfe
05-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Fuck, March Madness will never be the same...

:(

KChiefs1
05-05-2011, 04:14 PM
CBS is stupid!

I'm going to miss him during the NCAA's

DTLB58
05-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Good, I hope he stays out of the NFL. I don't really care for him.

RealSNR
05-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Good, I hope he stays out of the NFL. I don't really care for him.
Do you hate life or what?

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GlvOUG8nuZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FD
05-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Goddammit. He needs to get in the booth for one of the primetime games.

WhitiE
05-05-2011, 04:55 PM
He the one that wont shut up about the chargers? or am I thinking of someone else?

teedubya
05-05-2011, 05:10 PM
He is AWESOME at college hoops. WTF.

Crush
05-05-2011, 05:11 PM
FOX needs to kick Joe Buck to the curb and replace him with Gus Johnson.

BigMeatballDave
05-05-2011, 05:45 PM
CBS is stupid

BigMeatballDave
05-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Good, I hope he stays out of the NFL. I don't really care for him.:spock: Do you hate excitement?

EricBerryCrunch
05-05-2011, 05:58 PM
****, March Madness will never be the same...

:(

Absolutely the truth.

mrbiggz
05-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Maybe he can get on ABC/ESPN and do some college hoops and football. Fuck FOX, we need him on college bball more than anything

Basileus777
05-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Excellent. Now if Showtime gets rid of him I won't have to hear him anymore. He's incredibly annoying for anything other than highlights. Hearing him announce an entire game or an MMA fight makes me reach for the mute button.

Unfortunately thanks to Bill Simmons, liking Gus Johnson has become trendy.

BigMeatballDave
05-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Excellent. Now if Showtime gets rid of him I won't have to hear him anymore. He's incredible annoying for anything other than highlights. Hearing him announce an entire game or an MMA fight makes me reach for the mute button.

Unfortunately thanks to Bill Simmons, liking Gus Johnson has become trendy.I'm sorry you like boring stuff...

Basileus777
05-05-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm sorry you like boring stuff...

Yeah, not liking an obnoxious announcer who goes crazy over every screen pass and 4 yard run means I like boring stuff. Gus Johnson is a textbook example of trying too hard. Screaming =/ good announcing.

Ebolapox
05-05-2011, 06:16 PM
gus is the troof.

BigMeatballDave
05-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Yeah, not liking an obnoxious announcer who goes crazy over every screen pass and 4 yard run means I like boring stuff. Gus Johnson is a textbook example of trying too hard. Screaming =/ good announcing.Maybe you would prefer the old days of CBS with Summerall. BOOORRRIIINNNG

Basileus777
05-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Maybe you would prefer the old days of CBS with Summerall. BOOORRRIIINNNG

Yeah, not liking Gus Johnson means I like Summerall. Keep going with these retarded assumptions.

Gus Johnson was on CBS' D announcing team anyway, it's not like he did important games. Tough unfortunately he did some Chiefs games.

RealSNR
05-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah, not liking Gus Johnson means I like Summerall. Keep going with these retarded assumptions. Gus Johnson was on CBS' D announcing team anyway, it's not like he ever did important games.What you hate SUMMERALL too? He's one of the greatest announcers of all time!

Unless you're jacked up on coke (Johnson) or a wiley old dark chocolatey voice (Summerall) or both (Marv Albert) I really don't want to hear from you

RedThat
05-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Excellent. Now if Showtime gets rid of him I won't have to hear him anymore. He's incredibly annoying for anything other than highlights. Hearing him announce an entire game or an MMA fight makes me reach for the mute button.

Unfortunately thanks to Bill Simmons, liking Gus Johnson has become trendy.

To each their own. But I disagree.

I thought his commentating made the games more exciting and fun to watch. Im gonna miss him and I really don't understand this move by CBS.

RedThat
05-05-2011, 06:24 PM
CBS has made some bad moves over the years. Not keeping Gus Johnson, replacing Greg Gumbel with Jim Nantz. Whoever is in charge of making these moves needs put some serious thought before making a decision. As a fan, I am not pleased one bit.

veist
05-05-2011, 06:25 PM
March Madness without Gus is more like March Sadness now.

Basileus777
05-05-2011, 06:26 PM
What you hate SUMMERALL too? He's one of the greatest announcers of all time!

Unless you're jacked up on coke (Johnson) or a wiley old dark chocolatey voice (Summerall) or both (Marv Albert) I really don't want to hear from you

Summerall was really bad towards the end. Marv has always been awesome though. Putting Gus Johnson in the same list as those two is pretty insulting to them though.

RealSNR
05-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Yeah, not liking an obnoxious announcer who goes crazy over every screen pass and 4 yard run means I like boring stuff. Gus Johnson is a textbook example of trying too hard. Screaming =/ good announcing.What do you think of Mitch Holthus? He does way more screaming than Gus Johnson, yet Chiefs fans like him a lot.

KcMizzou
05-05-2011, 06:28 PM
What do you think of Mitch Holthus? He does way more screaming than Gus Johnson, yet Chiefs fans like him a lot.The only thing that annoys me about Holthus is the horrible nicknames and analogies.

RealSNR
05-05-2011, 06:30 PM
You know who I'd like to see back? Mike Patrick.

Those old Sunday night games were horrible because of Theismann and Paul Maguire. But Patrick does some lower level college games on ESPN now and he's great.

RedThat
What do you think of Mitch Holthus? He does way more screaming than Gus Johnson, yet Chiefs fans like him a lot.

Not only does he scream, but I love his creativity. TOUCHDOWN KAAAAAAANNNSAAAAAAS CIIIIIIITTY!!!!

BigMeatballDave
What you hate SUMMERALL too? He's one of the greatest announcers of all time!

Unless you're jacked up on coke (Johnson) or a wiley old dark chocolatey voice (Summerall) or both (Marv Albert) I really don't want to hear from youI'm going to assume you're joking about Sumerall.

RealSNR
The only thing that annoys me about Holthus is the horrible nicknames and analogies.True. Forgot about how bad some of those are

RealSNR
05-05-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm going to assume you're joking about Sumerall....

Damn kids and your damn music don't know good taste when you see it stupid younger generation and your justin bieber

RedThat
05-05-2011, 06:32 PM

Those old Sunday night games were horrible because of Theismann and Paul Maguire. But Patrick does some lower level college games on ESPN now and he's great.

Mike Patrick was sick.

Theismann could never shut the eff up, and always ran his gums and praised every player as if they were some walking God. Annoying. Annoying.

Maguire was alright though.

BigMeatballDave
05-05-2011, 06:34 PM

Damn kids and your damn music don't know good taste when you see it stupid younger generation and your justin bieberI grew up hearing Summerall. His boring-ass mono-toned voice just grated on my nerves.

RealSNR
05-05-2011, 06:37 PM
I grew up hearing Summerall. His boring-ass mono-toned voice just grated on my nerves.So did I. When I was 10 years old my secret dream was to have Pat Sumerall's job. Just sit up there doing Packer/Viking games outdoors in the middle of December.

Except Madden. I wouldn't have Madden. I would have Suzy Kolber. Yeeeahhh... Suzy Kolber.

BigMeatballDave
05-05-2011, 06:41 PM
So did I. When I was 10 years old my secret dream was to have Pat Sumerall's job. Just sit up there doing Packer/Viking games outdoors in the middle of December.

Except Madden. I wouldn't have Madden. I would have Suzy Kolber. Yeeeahhh... Suzy Kolber.Suzy would be watching the cheerleaders...

NTTATWWT

Deberg_1990
05-05-2011, 07:08 PM
I miss me sum Howard Cosell

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-05-2011, 08:14 PM
FOX needs to kick Joe Buck to the curb and replace him with Gus Johnson.

This

KcMizzou
05-05-2011, 08:16 PM
March Madness without Gus is more like March Sadness now.Seriously, that's a huge loss. His excitement is infectious.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-05-2011, 08:16 PM
Not only does he scream, but I love his creativity. TOUCHDOWN KAAAAAAANNNSAAAAAAS CIIIIIIITTY!!!!

Yeah Kevin Harlan used that "creativity" first. I actually don't care for Harlan but Mitch didn't exactly invent that in KC.

KcMizzou
05-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah Kevin Harlan used that "creativity" first. I actually don't care for Harlan but Mitch didn't exactly invent that in KC.Harlan was awesome for the Chiefs. Holthus has done great too.

(again, other than the terrible nicknames and absurd random analogies.)

GordonGekko
05-05-2011, 10:08 PM
I always liked Kevin Harlan, but Gus Johnson is easily 2nd, easily. Jim Nantz is the guy I can't stand, or Mike Tirico.

ShowtimeSBMVP
05-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Report: Gus Johnson still could stay with CBS

Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2011, 11:59 PM EDT

Getty Images
Earlier today, Richard Deitsch of SI.com reported that play-by-play announcer Gus Johnson has left CBS.

Now, Bob Raissman of the New York Daily News calls Deitsch’s report “premature.”

Raissman reports that, as Deitsch reported, Johnson’s deal with CBS has expired. Raissman reports that Johnson has received an offer from FOX to handle NFL and Pac-12 play-by-play duties. But Raissman also reports that the offer from FOX has not yet been presented to CBS, and that CBS will have one week to match it.

Raissman fails to explain whether Johnson is contractually obligated to give CBS an opportunity to match, or whether Johnson is merely shopping the FOX offer.

Given the conflicting reports, it would make sense for Johnson or his agent to set the record straight sooner rather than later.

Pitt Gorilla
05-05-2011, 10:30 PM
I always liked Kevin Harlan, but Gus Johnson is easily 2nd, easily. Jim Nantz is the guy I can't stand, or Mike Tirico.Harlan is THE best.

RealSNR
05-05-2011, 10:49 PM
I always liked Kevin Harlan, but Gus Johnson is easily 2nd, easily. Jim Nantz is the guy I can't stand, or Mike Tirico.Tirico is awful. Yet he covers all kinds of ESPN sports, not just football. It boggles the mind.

milkman
05-06-2011, 09:20 AM
I miss me sum Howard Cosell

I miss Charlie Jones.

To me, his play by play was the best ever.

DMAC
05-06-2011, 09:22 AM
If I could, I would hire Gus to commentate my life.

Dayze
05-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Announcers I like:
Gus Johnson
Brad Nessler
Herbstreit
Al Michaels
Todd Blackledge (...yeah...I know)
Verne Lundquist
Gary Danielson
Charles Davis

Announcers who should eat an AIDS burger with Cheese:
Joe Buck
Daryl Johnston
Dan Dierdorf
Joe Theisman
Randy Cross
Ian Eagle
Paul MacGuire
Jim Nantz

ceebz
05-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Never cared much for Gus. His sensationalism is very distracting. Definitely not looking forward to him calling the fight this weekend.

lcarus
05-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Summerall was really bad towards the end. Marv has always been awesome though. Putting Gus Johnson in the same list as those two is pretty insulting to them though.

Well you seem to be one of the very few who doesn't like him. If I had to choose between Marv, Summerall, and Gus Johnson...I'd choose Gus every time.

Extra Point
05-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Harlan is THE best.

"OH, BABY! What a post!"

Braincase
05-06-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm at a point now that I imagine Harlan doing all of the Chiefs' games.

RealSNR
05-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Remember when Dick Enberg was an old crazy coot who couldn't get anything right but he was still amazing?

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/73dW4740ILE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pasta Little Brioni
05-06-2011, 04:53 PM

Patrick was awesome. He took the fall because of the other 2 stooges. I'd rather him in the MNF booth over Tirico.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Enberg is my all time favorite. Love his voice.

ragedogg69
05-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Patrick was awesome. He took the fall because of the other 2 stooges. I'd rather him in the MNF booth over Tirico.

He flushed his career down the toilet with that britney spears non sequiter. His partner made him sound likea moron.

I agree tho, patrick is a solid pbp guy.

Sent from my GTablet running VEGAn-TAB using Tapatalk

-King-
05-06-2011, 09:51 PM
If I could, I would hire Gus to commentate my life.

"And he goes to the fridge...

HE'S OPENING IT! HE'S OPENING THE FRIDGE!

HE PULLED SOME FOOD OUT!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! UNBELIEVABLE! LOOK AT THAT FOOD!!"

ShowtimeSBMVP
05-09-2011, 06:21 PM
ProFootballWklyPro Football Weekly

RT @nydnraiss: CBS refuses to match. Gus Johnson officially out and headed to Fox. Source says "politics" also involved.

Buck
05-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Remember when Dick Enberg was an old crazy coot who couldn't get anything right but he was still amazing?

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/73dW4740ILE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Enberg is my all time favorite. Love his voice.

Dick Enberg is the Padres play by play announcer.

HE. IS. AWFUL.

RealSNR
05-09-2011, 06:35 PM

HE. IS. AWFUL.

OHHHHHHHH MY!!!

|Zach|
05-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Without any exaggeration or message board hyperbole I can honestly say Summerall's call of the Mizzou's Cotton ball game against Arkansas was by far the worst announcing I have ever heard. It was a total embarrassment.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-09-2011, 06:40 PM

HE. IS. AWFUL.

Well yeah, now that he's eleventy billion years old.

Buck
05-09-2011, 06:40 PM
The Padres had a player named Everth (pronounced Ever-eth) Cabrera last year for the entire season and Dick Enberg called him Efren the entire season.

siberian khatru
05-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Without any exaggeration or message board hyperbole I can honestly say Summerall's call of the Mizzou's Cotton ball game against Arkansas was by far the worst announcing I have ever heard. It was a total embarrassment.

You are correct, sir.

It was just one notch below post-stroke Dick Clark still doing New Year's Rockin' Eve.

BigMeatballDave
05-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Anyone see Gus on Tosh.0?

Three7s
05-29-2011, 09:10 PM
The Padres had a player named Everth (pronounced Ever-eth) Cabrera last year for the entire season and Dick Enberg called him Efren the entire season.
I raise your Efren with a Jamarr.

kcxiv
05-29-2011, 10:23 PM

HE. IS. AWFUL.

lol, Vin Scully is old as the hill and he still brings it. He's still sharpe

Ace Gunner
05-29-2011, 10:25 PM
He the one that wont shut up about the chargers? or am I thinking of someone else?

I think so.. every time he does a chiefs game they lose, so sez other fans..

Titty Meat
05-30-2011, 01:04 AM

Good thing nobody cares about baseball?