PDA

View Full Version : Life “The Race That Eats Its Young.”

ReynardMuldrake
05-07-2011, 10:07 AM
The Barkley Marathon in rural Tennessee is the world's hardest race. Only eight men have ever completed it.

What makes it so bad? No trail, for one. A cumulative elevation gain that’s nearly twice the height of Everest. Native flora called saw briars that can turn a man’s legs to raw meat in meters. The tough hills have names like Rat Jaw, Little Hell, Big Hell, Testicle Spectacle—this last so-called because it inspires most runners to make the sign of the cross (crotch to eyeglasses, shoulder to shoulder)—not to mention Stallion Mountain, Bird Mountain, Coffin Springs, Zip Line, and an uphill stretch, new this year, known simply as “the Bad Thing.”

The race consists of five loops on a course that’s been officially listed at twenty miles, but is probably more like twenty-six. The moral of this slanted truth is that standard metrics are irrelevant. The moral of a lot of Barkley’s slanted truths is that standard metrics are irrelevant. The laws of physics and human tolerance have been replaced by Laz’s personal whims. Even if the race was really “only” a hundred miles, these would still be “Barkley miles.” Guys who could typically finish a hundred miles in twenty hours might not finish a single loop here. If you finish three, you’ve completed what’s known as the Fun Run. If you happen not to finish—and, let’s face it, you probably won’t—Laz will play taps to commemorate your quitting. The whole camp, shifting and dirty and tired, will listen, except for those who are asleep or too weak to notice, who won’t.

The day before the race, runners start arriving at camp like rainbow seals, sleekly gliding through the air in multi-colored bodysuits. They come in pickup trucks and rental cars, rusty vans and camper trailers. Their license plates say 100 RUNNR, ULT MAN, CRZY RUN. They bring camouflage tents and orange hunting vests and skeptical girlfriends and acclimated wives and tiny travel towels and tiny dogs. Laz himself brings a little dog (named “Little Dog”) with a black spot like a pirate’s patch over one eye. Little Dog almost loses her name this year, after encountering and trying to eat an even smaller dog, the skinny one from Iowa, who turns out to be two dogs rather than just one.

It’s a male scene. There are a few female regulars, I learn, but they rarely manage more than a loop. Most of the women in sight, like me, are part of someone’s support crew. I help sort Julian’s supplies in the back of the car.

He needs a compass. He needs pain pills and NO-DOZ pills and electrolyte pills and Ginger Chews for when he gets sleepy and a “kit” for popping blisters that basically includes a needle and Band-Aids. He needs tape for when his toenails start falling off. He needs batteries. We pay special attention to the batteries. Running out of batteries is the must-avoid-at-all-costs worst possible thing that could happen. But it has happened. It happened to Rich Limacher, whose night spent under a huge buckeye tree earned it the name “Limacher Hilton.” Julian’s coup de grâce is a pair of duct-tape pants that we’ve fashioned in the manner of cowboy chaps. They will fend off saw briars, is the idea, and earn Julian the envy of the other runners.

All through the potluck, runners pore over their instructions, five single-spaced pages that tell them “exactly where to go”—though every single runner, even those who’ve run the course for years, will probably get lost at least once, many of them for hours at a time. It’s hard for me to understand this—can’t you just do what they say?—until I look at the instructions themselves. They range from surprising (“the coal pond beavers have been very active this year, be careful not to fall on one of the sharpened stumps they have left”) to self-evident (“all you have to do is keep choosing the steepest path up the mountain”). But the instructions tend to cite landmarks like “the ridge” or “the rock” that seem less than useful, considering. And then there’s the issue of the night.

The official Barkley requirements read like a treasure hunt: there are ten books placed at various points along the course, and runners are responsible for ripping out the pages that match their race number. Laz is playful in his book choices: The Most Dangerous Game, Death by Misadventure, A Time to Die—even Heart of Darkness, a choice that seems to vindicate my associative impulses.

The big talk this year is about Laz’s latest addition to the course: a quarter-mile cement tunnel that runs directly under the grounds of the old penitentiary. There’s a drop through a narrow concrete shaft to get in, a fifteen-foot climb to get out, and “plenty of” standing water once you’re inside. There are also, rumor has it, rats the size of possums and—when it gets warmer—snakes the size of arms. Whose arms? I wonder. Most of the guys here are pretty wiry.

Laz has given himself the freedom to start the race whenever he wants. He announces the date but offers only two guarantees: that it will begin “sometime” between midnight and noon (thanks a lot, Laz), and that he will blow the conch shell an hour beforehand in warning. In general, Laz likes to start before dawn.

At the start gate, Julian is wearing a light silver jacket, a pale gray skullcap, and his homemade duct-tape chaps. He looks like a robot. He disappears uphill in a flurry of camera flashes.

Immediately after the runners take off, Doc Joe and I start grilling waffles. Laz strolls over with his glowing cigarette, its gray cap of untapped ash quaking between his thick fingers. I introduce myself. He introduces himself. He asks us if we think anyone has noticed that he’s not actually smoking. “I can’t this year,” he explains, “because of my leg.” He has just had surgery on an artery and his circulation isn’t good. Despite this he will set up a lawn chair by the finish line, just like every year, and stay awake until every competitor has either dropped or finished. Dropping, unless you drop at the single point accessible by trail, involves a three-to-four-hour commute back into camp—longer at night, especially if you get lost. Which effectively means that the act of ceasing to compete in the Barkley race is comparable to running an entire marathon.

His greatest desire seems to be to devise an un-runnable race, to sustain the immortal horizon of an unbeatable challenge with contours fresh and unknowable. After the first year, when no one even came close to finishing, Laz wrote an article headlined: THE “TRAIL” WINS THE BARKLEY MARATHONS. It’s not hard to imagine how Laz, reclining on his lawn chair, might look to the course itself as his avatar: his race is a competitor strong enough to triumph, even when he can barely stand.

He used to run this race, in days of better health, but never managed to finish it. Instead, he’s managed to garner respect as a man of principle—a man so committed to the notion of pain that he’s willing to rally men in its pursuit.

http://www.believermag.com/issues/201105/?read=article_jamison

Read the whole story if you can. It's a great read.

alnorth
05-07-2011, 11:01 AM
cool story.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Amazing enough...all 8 people that completed it post here on ChiefsPlanet.

Gonzo
05-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Where's the part about eating children? I missed it.

I should give you an infraction for a misleading thread title.
Posted via Mobile Device

tk13
05-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Eric Hosmer finished it in 25 minutes.

DeezNutz
05-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Laz commemorates the start of each race by yelling, "Fuck the draft forum!!!"

cdcox
05-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Where's the part about eating children? I missed it.

I should give you an infraction for a misleading thread title.
Posted via Mobile Device

"The Race That Eats It's Young" is the race motto.

Here is another good article on this year's race.

http://www.metropulse.com/news/2011/apr/13/barkley-marathons-toughest-race-youve-never-heard/

I posted a thread on this race not long ago.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244047&page=2

Bump
05-07-2011, 12:37 PM
tl;dr

Reaper16
05-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Look at you, posting a long piece of literary nonfiction. Rep.

Gonzo
05-07-2011, 01:18 PM
"The Race That Eats It's Young" is the race motto.

Here is another good article on this year's race.

http://www.metropulse.com/news/2011/apr/13/barkley-marathons-toughest-race-youve-never-heard/

I posted a thread on this race not long ago.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244047&page=2

LMAO

U has teh funnys
Posted via Mobile Device

DaFace
05-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Kinda sorta repost. But crazy race.

Thig Lyfe
05-07-2011, 02:32 PM
I thought this thread would be about Eskimos.

Rain Man
05-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Eh, it doesn't sound that hard. You just have to concentrate.

mikey23545
05-07-2011, 04:29 PM

Dane made Lindsay Lohan carry him the whole way through it.

teedubya
05-07-2011, 09:36 PM

I've actually finished it twice.