PDA

View Full Version : Royals Hosmer’s arrival stirs up Royal memories in K.C.

mikey23545
05-07-2011, 04:21 PM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Almost 25 years ago now, Art Stewart sat behind home plate with a stopwatch in his hand and disbelief on his tongue. He wasn’t going to say a damn thing. He didn’t want to embarrass himself.

This was, after all, Stewart’s proudest night. Bo Jackson was in a Kansas City Royals uniform for the first time, and Stewart, the team’s scouting director, was the one who insisted upon drafting him. Everyone figured Bo, the Heisman Trophy winner and No. 1 pick in the NFL draft, was playing football. Only Kenny Gonzalez, a Royals scout, had spent years staying at the Holiday Inn in Alabama where Jackson’s mother worked, and they developed a trusting relationship, and she swore he wanted to play baseball. And he did.

Those who watched Bo Jackson play as a rookie in 1986 sometimes didn’t believe what they had seen.

“It’s Bo’s first game,” Stewart says. “First at-bat. Steve Carlton was pitching for the White Sox. Hank Bauer, famous old outfielder, was scouting. The legendary Howie Haak, one of the great scouts from Pittsburgh. Bo comes up the first time up. Hits a routine boom-boom-boom. Guy makes a play, and Bo’s across the bag.

“We’re all looking at our timers. We’re ashamed to show it. I said to myself, ‘Geez, 3.6. That’s wrong.’ Finally Hugh Alexander, great scout with the Phillies who had lost his hand, says, ‘For Chrissakes, I got 3.6. What do you guys got?’ Everybody had 3.6 to 3.7. From the right side. Never forget it. We were dumbfounded.”

Understand: Right-handed hitters do not run from home plate to first base in 3.6 seconds. If not humanly impossible, it strains credulity. The fastest of the fast barely crack four seconds. And yet Stewart swears that the first play of Bo Jackson’s career he did something superhuman, and he remembers the date (Sept. 2, 1986) and the second baseman who fielded the ball (Tim Hulett) and the day and team and pitcher off whom Bo later hit his first home run (Sunday, Seattle, Mike Moore, and, by the way, it’s still the longest ever at Kauffman Stadium at 475 feet), and even though he is 84 years old now, starting his 59th season in professional baseball, his memory remains so sharp and his conviction so steadfast that the gaggle of 3.6s can’t be wrong.

Nor the reaction it caused among the scouts that day. Every so often a player comes along with a train of hoopla that the scouts, the ultimate skeptics, can derail with one report. Rarer is the one whose reports match his hype. Bo Jackson, with one 90-foot sprint, exceeded his and left Stewart beaming.

So when he showed up at Kauffman Stadium on Friday with a glint in his eye and even more pep in his voice than usual, Art Stewart tried not to hyperbolize too much. It’s just that he felt something different all around the city and at the ballpark. The kind that’s been missing for 25 years.

Eric Hosmer(notes) wasn’t born when Bo Jackson sprinted 91 yards on “Monday Night Football.”

He was 9 months old when Bo ran up and down the outfield wall at Baltimore’s Memorial Stadium.

He was 2 years old when Tecmo Super Bowl came out.

He knows Bo only from YouTube clips and TV highlights and stories. And he has heard stories. The Kansas City Royals, one of baseball’s most moribund franchises over the last quarter-century, spent so many years doing things wrong that it takes a while to catch up. And now that they’ve got baseball’s best farm system and a future without 100-loss seasons, they’re making sure to educate the future Royals on the ones of the past.

So beyond George Brett and Frank White and Dan Quisenberry and the rest of the 1985 World Series champions, the kids learn about Bo and gawk. Even to a generation that didn’t see him, Bo’s legacy lasts through his ability. And for Eric Hosmer – the 6-foot-4, 230-pound, sweet-stroking, smooth-fielding first baseman and standard bearer as the first of the Royals’ prospects to ascend to the major leagues – to hear Stewart use his name alongside Bo’s hammers home what this means to a city he knew nothing about when the Royals drafted him third overall in 2008.

“Coming from a guy like Art, a legend in this game really, to hear that is very humbling,” Hosmer says. “I’m just thankful I got to open up at home and see what it was in front of the fans in Kansas City.

“It’s great to be part of this Royal family.”

Scouts practically knighted Hosmer during spring training, and from there started the countdown. Conventional wisdom had the Royals waiting until early June to summon Hosmer, left-handed starters Mike Montgomery(notes) and Danny Duffy, and perhaps third baseman Mike Moustakas(notes), so as to avoid giving them an extra year of salary arbitration.

The Royals, with their major league-low payroll, ignored financial considerations and brought up Hosmer from Triple-A Omaha, where he was hitting .439 and proving himself at 21 plenty ready for the major leagues. General manager Dayton Moore believes they can compete in an up-for-grabs American League Central division. On Friday, fans bought nearly 10,000 tickets to see his debut, and the crowd at Kauffman Stadium cracked 30,000 for the third time this year. Kansas City wants to love the Royals like it loved Bo, and the outpouring proved it a place yearning for the embrace of a winner.

“Everybody in the minor leagues and here has that goal: to get this city back,” Hosmer says, “and get them in the playoffs and keep winning ballgames.”

Get this city back. Those words will resonate here. Beyond a few flashes – Zack Greinke’s(notes) brilliance in 2009, the surprise contention in 2003, the outfield of Johnny Damon(notes), Carlos Beltran(notes) and Jermaine Dye(notes) – the Royals have lost their base. The disillusionment and frustration of playing in a small market with an owner unwilling to stretch revenues grated on fans enough that when Moore vowed to build from within, his “process” met widespread derision. Just another guy with another plan. See enough years with Ken Harvey and Mark Redman as your All-Star representatives and everything tastes like snake oil.

This feels different. Perhaps it’s just life these days, where youth portends greatness and promise guarantees excellence and the area between superstar and bust gets evermore thin. Sometimes you need hope.

Which is why Royals outfielder Jarrod Dyson(notes), Hosmer’s transportation to the ballpark, made sure to take special care of the goods riding shotgun: “I wanted to get the guy here safe and sound.” Hosmer represents what Kansas City can be, what it aches to be.

And why Hosmer received the loudest cheers of the night during introductions, following the nifty 3-6-3 double play he started in the first inning, before and after the two at-bats in which he walked, even when he struck out looking on a borderline 3-2 pitch in the ninth inning. The Royals lost to Oakland 3-2, and Hosmer went 0-for-2 with two strikeouts and two walks. The thunderbolts off his bat would have to wait a day.

“There’s no doubt in my mind he’s going to be a special-type player,” Royals manager Ned Yost says, and he’s going to be saying that a lot this summer, when Montgomery and Duffy and Moustakas join Billy Butler(notes) and Alex Gordon(notes) and Joakim Soria(notes) and Aaron Crow(notes) and Tim Collins(notes) and Jeremy Jeffress(notes) and Alcides Escobar(notes), and everything begins to blossom into what’s become so foreign to the Royals.

Something special.

Bo Jackson signed with the Royals on June 21, 1986, and after the press conference they needed to hold in a banquet room because so many people came to see it, Art Stewart asked Bo what he wanted to do.

“Hit,” Bo said.

They walked toward the field. Bo hadn’t picked up a bat in three months. Avron Fogelman, one of the Royals’ owners along with Ewing Kauffman, joined them. George Toma, the legendary groundskeeper, came over. So did Buck O’Neil. Bo bunted the first two pitches from John Wathan.

“And this is the honest-to-god truth,” Stewart says. “You see the crown out there?”

He points to the center-field scoreboard more than 500 feet away.

“First pitch, hit the crown,” Stewart says. “It’s a true story. Fogelman is a collector. He says, ‘George, get me that ball.’ He’s no longer got that out of his mouth and Bo hits one even higher off the damn thing. And he says, ‘Get that one for Mr. Kauffman.’

“That’s when Buck says to me, ‘Art, I’ve heard this noise off the bat only three times. Babe Ruth. Josh Gibson. Bo Jackson.’ ”

Art Stewart smiles. He could tell stories about Bo all day. But he’s got to go. It’s almost time for the first pitch, and a seat behind home plate awaits him. Eric Hosmer is batting sixth, and for all the great players who have come through here in the last 25 years, none has represented what Hosmer does: not just the potential superstardom but the beginning of something new, the process finally come to fruition.

“I have a feeling,” Stewart says, “I’m going to remember this night for a long time.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AiaJe1ivM9tFxl7MxigBJWMRvLYF?slug=jp-passan_eric_hosmer_debut_royals_bo_jackson_memories_050611

Mr. Laz
05-07-2011, 04:29 PM
dude hasn't even gotten a single major league hit yet

people need to ease up a bit

mikey23545
05-07-2011, 04:32 PM

I think the article is really more about how desperate KC is to have some excitement again than it is to put pressure on the kid...

BillSelfsTrophycase
05-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Eric Hosmer was once stabbed by a knife...

The knife bled to death

Mr. Laz
05-07-2011, 05:02 PM
I think the article is really more about how desperate KC is to have some excitement again than it is to put pressure on the kid...
i know but that adds a ton of pressure on the kid

CoMoChief
05-07-2011, 05:10 PM
No athlete even compares to Bo Jackson. Not even close.

Deberg_1990
05-07-2011, 05:23 PM

Deion sanders would be close.....but he played a much less punishing football position.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
05-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Bo Jackson was drafted by the Buccaneers and never showed up. Then he became a Raider. Screw him. He's no better than Elway.

AndChiefs
05-07-2011, 06:10 PM

Better start getting the speech ready for his Hall of Fame induction.

kysirsoze
05-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Better start getting the speech ready for his Hall of Fame induction.

I am SO FUCKING TIRED of people getting excited about Royals baseball. THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!!!!

AndChiefs
05-07-2011, 06:15 PM
I am SO ****ING TIRED of people getting excited about Royals baseball. THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!!!!

lol

kcxiv
05-07-2011, 06:23 PM
There is no way the royals can win and keep winning. its just not possible. they could win one and do what the Marlins do blow shit up cause they cant keep anyone.

Its their only hope one and done. It sux i hate that small market teams have to do that kinda bullshit.

SAUTO
05-07-2011, 06:38 PM
There is no way the royals can win and keep winning. its just not possible. they could win one and do what the Marlins do blow shit up cause they cant keep anyone.

Its their only hope one and done. It sux i hate that small market teams have to do that kinda bullshit.
This post just shows how much you dont know about the royals. No offense just true.
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
05-07-2011, 07:02 PM
This post just shows how much you dont know about the royals. No offense just true.
Posted via Mobile Device

right....i mean the Royals have done enough to convince people otherwise...LMAO

milkman
05-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Deion sanders would be close.....but he played a much less punishing football position.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sanders was a mediocre baseball player.

Bo could have been one of the all time greats in baseball, and the best ever at his position in football.

To say that Sanders was close is an overstatement.

Deberg_1990
05-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Sanders was a mediocre baseball player.

Bo could have been one of the all time greats in baseball, and the best ever at his position in football.

To say that Sanders was close is an overstatement.

No..he wasn't as good as Bo. Sanders never really played in very many games or had a lot of at bats from year to year.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
05-07-2011, 07:34 PM
right....i mean the Royals have done enough to convince people otherwise...LMAO

And this post shows how much you don't know.

The young guys work out and they are cost controlled for at least six more years. IIRC. Plenty of time to have the opportunity to win multiple WS before their money would warrant moving them/ letting them go in FA.

Why move CHEAP young players?
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman
05-07-2011, 08:32 PM
No..he wasn't as good as Bo. Sanders never really played in very many games or had a lot of at bats from year to year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sanders had 5 or 6 seasons in which he played nearly a 2/3rds of the season, got over 200 at bats, and he was a career .260/.270 hitter.

Demonpenz
05-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Rick Hoss Everyday is hustlin

Demonpenz
05-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Sanders was alright at baseball. Obviously he dominated in football. Bo Jackson was the athlete speed, strength, endurance, hand eye cordination, throwing arm, power, quickness explosiveness, he was everything A+ in every sport.

Rain Man
05-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Everyone's talking up Bo Jackson and yet I don't see his name anywhere in the record books. I'll set forth the theory that he was almost as good as Percy Snow.

RJ
05-07-2011, 09:22 PM
The Bo Jackson comparison lost me immediately. The two players have little in common.

teedubya
05-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Everyone's talking up Bo Jackson and yet I don't see his name anywhere in the record books. I'll set forth the theory that he was almost as good as Percy Snow.

You take that back...

RJ
05-07-2011, 09:25 PM
And this post shows how much you don't know.

The young guys work out and they are cost controlled for at least six more years. IIRC. Plenty of time to have the opportunity to win multiple WS before their money would warrant moving them/ letting them go in FA.

Why move CHEAP young players?
Posted via Mobile Device

Hosmer, Moustakas, Myers, Montgomery, Duffy.....that could end up being a solid nucleus by 2014, maybe 2013.

milkman
05-07-2011, 09:27 PM
The Bo Jackson comparison lost me immediately. The two players have little in common.

I don't think he's comparing the players.

He's comparing the hype.

RJ
05-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I don't think he's comparing the players.

He's comparing the hype.

Heh, I'm sure you're right. Like I said, he lost me in the first paragraph. I should have been more patient. The "Probably the Greatest Athlete of Modern Times"versus "a guy who just got called up from triple a a few days ago" comparison really threw me off.

SAUTO
05-08-2011, 05:06 AM
Hosmer, Moustakas, Myers, Montgomery, Duffy.....that could end up being a solid nucleus by 2014, maybe 2013.
Gordon, if he continues, butler. The nucleus could be here in 2012. Thats the plan.
Posted via Mobile Device

tyton75
05-08-2011, 07:29 AM

This

Guy was a physical freak... not to mention the best RB I have ever seen play the game; too bad he didn't have the staying power

Kidd Lex
05-08-2011, 07:45 AM

Gordon, if he continues, butler. The nucleus could be here in 2012. Thats the plan.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would add Crow & Soria to the list of core players for next year, and remove Myers. Myers & Lamb are most likely going to be studs in the future, but they have a few years of development left in the minors before they make their splash.

Then you have some serious complimentary players like Cabrera, Collins, Coleman, Frenchy, Aviles, Hoch, Cain, and even a weapon like Dyson. This team is going too be extremely fun to watch for years to come.

If the Royals could add a serious major league bat to the outfield (platoon Cain or Frenchy) and a legit ace I could see this team doing some serious contending in 2012.

Saul Good
05-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Don't sleep on Hochevar. The guy is really pitching well. He is one bad inning away from people really sitting up and taking notice.

Dave Lane
05-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Wow welcome to Keitzman circa 2002

duncan_idaho
05-08-2011, 08:45 AM

Not really true. The Royals ran the payroll to $75 million a few years ago and supported that salary with fewer than 2 million people coming to the yard. Put a winner in the K, and they will crack 2.5-3 million in attendance.

Kansas City, with a winning team and current revenue sharing, can support a $80-90 million payroll.

That would allow several key players to be resigned. Maybe not all of them, but the best of them. Ideally, you'd do a lot of extensions like the Butler/Soria/Greinke extensions, buying out a few FA years and running tenures with the team to 8-9 years.

The danger for small market teams is avoiding albatross contracts like Johan Santana would have been for the Twins - and like Joe Mauer is now.

The other thing is to keep the farm system pumping behind the talent and keep fresh waves of exciting young players coming through the system. The Royals' success in the farm system is not built solely on high picks. A big portion of it is finding and identifying great players in the lower rounds (Lamb, Myers, Adam, etc) and it is starting to also include improved efforts in Latin America.

AndChiefs
05-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Not really true. The Royals ran the payroll to $75 million a few years ago and supported that salary with fewer than 2 million people coming to the yard. Put a winner in the K, and they will crack 2.5-3 million in attendance.

Kansas City, with a winning team and current revenue sharing, can support a $80-90 million payroll.

That would allow several key players to be resigned. Maybe not all of them, but the best of them. Ideally, you'd do a lot of extensions like the Butler/Soria/Greinke extensions, buying out a few FA years and running tenures with the team to 8-9 years.

The danger for small market teams is avoiding albatross contracts like Johan Santana would have been for the Twins - and like Joe Mauer is now.

The other thing is to keep the farm system pumping behind the talent and keep fresh waves of exciting young players coming through the system. The Royals' success in the farm system is not built solely on high picks. A big portion of it is finding and identifying great players in the lower rounds (Lamb, Myers, Adam, etc) and it is starting to also include improved efforts in Latin America.

*ding* *ding* *ding*

We have a winner!

Saul Good
05-08-2011, 09:10 AM

I agree with this, but it's leaving out one critical component of building a long-term successful franchise. We need to do a good job of trading the players who are being pushed out by prospects. If a team can flip established veterans for 2-3 solid prospects, they can stay on top for a long time.

CoMoChief
05-08-2011, 09:38 AM
ROFL

Dave Lane
05-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Rick Hoss Everyday is hustlin

Or would that be Rick Ro$$