PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Turgeon to Maryland

Mr. Laz
05-09-2011, 07:01 PM
KrisKetz (http://twitter.com/#%21/KrisKetz) Kris Ketz

RT @goodmanonfox (http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox): Maryland has hired Texas A&M's Mark Turgeon, source told FOXsports.com #fb (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23fb)

28 seconds ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/KrisKetz/status/67755682010636288)

Sure-Oz
05-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Repost.....uh in the mizzou thread

|Zach|
05-09-2011, 07:02 PM

Haha

Mr. Laz
so anyone who doesn't read the mizzou thread doesn't get to hear about it?

:harumph:

|Zach|
Interesting move. I thought A&M was posied to break out this year.

Not that they still can't.

ShowtimeSBMVP
05-09-2011, 07:03 PM
as a maryland fan i just dont like this hire at all.

Sure-Oz
so anyone who doesn't read the mizzou thread doesn't get to hear about it?

:harumph:

LMAO

Mr. Laz
Interesting move. I thought A&M was posied to break out this year.

Not that they still can't.
apparently Turgeon is turning mercenary

Saul Good
05-09-2011, 07:04 PM

It's an excellent hire.

|Zach|
05-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Big shoes to fill in Williams no doubt but I think it is a good hire. Especially with the shitty timing. Thats a tough beat.

|Zach|
05-09-2011, 07:05 PM
apparently Turgeon is turning mercenary

http://www.ultimatefitnessthailand.com/tv_n_films/1990,In%20Gold%20We%20Trust/Chris%20leading%20mercenary%20troupe.jpg

ShowtimeSBMVP
05-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Big shoes to fill in Williams no doubt but I think it is a good hire. Especially with the shitty timing. Thats a tough beat.

Lets hope this guy can get the local kids that turn into nba players that williams would never go after.

CoMoChief
05-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Hmmmm i posted this in the other thread BUT I don't see this as a step up. The shape of TXAM program IMO is much better than Maryland's.

But Maryland is a bball school....we'll see. If anything this is more of a loss to TXAM bball.

CoMoChief
05-09-2011, 07:07 PM
I bet Gillispie is sitting somewhere in Lubbock going "damn, shoulda waited"

ShowtimeSBMVP
05-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Horrible News. Mark this date down, and circle the calendar going forward in 3 yrs. "Tiny" Turgeon is a colossal mistake and will be an abject failure.

Great job Kevin Anderson, you suck. Hopefully you'll get a highchair for the presser for "Tiny" Turgeon. Good god, I'm gonna be friggin sick.

Gentleman, say hello to the next Oliver Purnell/Frank Haith of the ACC. You heard it here first.

Pedro
05-09-2011, 07:17 PM
I bet Gillispie is sitting somewhere in Lubbock going "damn, shoulda waited"
And Frank Martin is thinking "Damn, maybe Maryland doesn't know that my salary is only $1.1 million ... ".

|Zach|
05-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Horrible News. Mark this date down, and circle the calendar going forward in 3 yrs. "Tiny" Turgeon is a colossal mistake and will be an abject failure.

Great job Kevin Anderson, you suck. Hopefully you'll get a highchair for the presser for "Tiny" Turgeon. Good god, I'm gonna be friggin sick.

Gentleman, say hello to the next Oliver Purnell/Frank Haith of the ACC. You heard it here first.

Meh, it won't be anything like you think it will.

I am no stranger to coach changing reaction hysterics though. It will get better.

Stewie
05-09-2011, 07:21 PM

ESPN is reporting that the job has already been turned down by five other coaches. You can't force people to take a job they don't want. Turgeon hasn't accepted so Maryland may get someone else.

Texas A&M (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/245/texas-a&m-aggies) coach Mark Turgeon received a contract offer from Maryland (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/120/maryland-terrapins) on Monday to replace Gary Williams as head coach of the Terrapins, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com.

The source said Turgeon had not accepted yet, but that Turgeon is leaning in Maryland's direction.

Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/profile?playerId=36085) flew to meet with Arizona's Sean Miller on Saturday in Las Vegas but he chose to stay and received a contract extension.

Notre Dame's Mike Brey and Butler's Brad Stevens were also on the list but chose to stay put.

"There really wasn't much to it, other than some speculation from down there [Maryland] and I understand that with a coaching search," Brey told reporters Monday.

Initial inquiries to Pitt's Jamie Dixon and Villanova's Jay Wright were also rebuffed.

Turgeon would be a quality hire to replace the retiring 66-year old Williams. Turgeon has coached the Aggies to the NCAA tournament in each of his four seasons at the school and has a potential top 25 team next season.

Turgeon, a former Kansas player under Larry Brown, also coached Wichita State to the Sweet 16.

cdirty
05-09-2011, 07:30 PM
will always love Turgeon from his KU/WSU days. Would be sweet to see him coach against the ACC heavyweights.

kstater
05-09-2011, 07:47 PM
So Mark Fox has to be the first choice for A&M right?

Saul Good
05-09-2011, 07:56 PM
So Mark Fox has to be the first choice for A&M right?

Mike Anderson is interviewing with A&M tomorrow.

The Bad Guy
05-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Turgeon is a good hire. Having Brey, Stevens, Wright and Dixon turn you down though isn't shocking news. Stevens won't take another job but Indiana. All of those guys are cemented where they are at.

RJ
05-09-2011, 08:00 PM

As a fellow Maryland fan I agree. They could have/should have done better. ACC school, great fan base, one of the best recruiting regions in the country, only ten years removed from an NCAA Championship.......that's a damn good job.

|Zach|
05-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Mike Anderson is interviewing with A&M tomorrow.

LMAOLMAO

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
05-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Well he can't recruit.... But I hate that A&M has lost it's last two coaches.

RJ
05-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Turgeon is a good hire. Having Brey, Stevens, Wright and Dixon turn you down though isn't shocking news. Stevens won't take another job but Indiana. All of those guys are cemented where they are at.

I think Maryland needed a bigger name. Kids in the Baltimore/DC corridor won't know who Turgeon is, I'm sure. Hopefully he'll impress in a his first couple of seasons and get some assistants who can recruit the region.

Pedro
05-09-2011, 08:26 PM
I think Maryland needed a bigger name. Kids in the Baltimore/DC corridor won't know who Turgeon is, I'm sure. Hopefully he'll impress in a his first couple of seasons and get some assistants who can recruit the region.
I think Turgeon is a great hire.

ShowtimeSBMVP
05-09-2011, 08:27 PM

LOL gary wouldn't even go in those areas lets hope this guy does...

RJ
05-09-2011, 08:52 PM
LOL gary wouldn't even go in those areas lets hope this guy does...

Gary did ok there - better in DC than Baltimore. They need someone who can really score in that region, a guy who can compete for the blue-chippers that the corridor frequently produces. It's a freaking gold mine for the right coach.

Brock
05-09-2011, 08:53 PM

You're wrong.

RJ
05-09-2011, 08:53 PM
I think Turgeon is a great hire.

I hope you are correct. Terps basketball is right up there with the Chiefs for me. I've been watching both for over 40 years.

Titty Meat
05-09-2011, 08:57 PM
I hope you are correct. Terps basketball is right up there with the Chiefs for me. I've been watching both for over 40 years.

Maryland won a title this decade bruh.

RJ
05-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Maryland won a title this decade bruh.

Yes, and for that I am grateful.

ShowtimeSBMVP
05-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Well the local news out here said he is in good with the Baltimore AAU program.. So this is atleast great news.

black angus
05-09-2011, 10:32 PM
The Aggies ran a somewhat boring, albeit pretty effective motion offense.
Expect to see a lot of close games in the 60's with Turgeon coaching.
Oh, and he whines....... a lot.
Step up for him though.

Mr. Arrowhead
05-10-2011, 06:24 AM
maybe Wichita State will get to see their old coach in the Puerto Rican Classic, as both Wichita State and maryland are in next season.