PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs QBs and More QBs

Wilson8
05-10-2011, 10:24 PM
What's Next For Chiefs QBs?

By Josh Looney Posted 14 hours ago

The depth behind Matt Cassel won't be determined for quite some time
With three quarterbacks under contract for 2011, the Chiefs situation under center is beginning to come into focus. The final touches to the cast, however, remain uncertain.

A developmental quarterback is in place with fifth-round draft pick Ricky Stanzi and the Chiefs have an unquestioned starter in Matt Cassel. While the two players appear cemented into the Chiefs quarterbacking plans for next season, determining the third member of the group isn’t as clear.

Much of the uncertainty surrounds the future of Brodie Croyle.

Croyle is currently without a contract for 2011 and the Chiefs plans to re-sign the veteran remain in question. The uncertainty created by the NFL labor situation doesn’t aid the matter any and Tyler Palko’s push for a roster slot also plays a factor.

Regardless of Croyle’s free agent designation when the league year resumes, the Chiefs are likely to follow one of four scenarios when rounding out the club’s quarterback cast for 2011.

Scenario #1: Chiefs re-sign Croyle
If the Chiefs re-sign Croyle, furious competition ensues for the rights to be Cassel’s primary backup. It’s a position that Croyle has held with little challenge since 2009, but Palko got a sniff of the number two job late last season.

Croyle’s return would give the Chiefs an experienced reserve that already understands the playbook and can give effective show-team looks in practice. The longer the off-season drags without organized team activities (OTAs), the more valuable reserves like Croyle become.

Scenario #2: Croyle goes and the Chiefs add another new faceRegardless of what his free agency status may become, there are a number of ways that Croyle and the Chiefs could part ways. If that happens, the Chiefs might opt to bring in an experienced veteran to compete for the primary backup job.

There should be a number of options, from Billy Volek to Chad Pennington, if the Chiefs want to pursue that route. Check out NFL.com’s unofficial list of potential 2011 free agents HERE.
Outside of injury, adding an undrafted rookie doesn’t appear likely at the moment.

Scenario #3: Croyle goes and the Chiefs keep status quo
In this scenario, Palko and Stanzi would battle for the job directly behind Cassel. Without a fourth quarterback to split snaps, each backup would get plenty of time on coaches’ film.

Initially, a move such as this would show confidence in Palko’s development and Stanzi’s learning curve.
There’s also a bail-out option to this scenario. A condensed list of free agents would still be available if either player disappointed during the preseason.

Scenario #4: Chiefs keep two quarterbacks
Any of the previous scenarios could play out with the Chiefs ultimately deciding to keep just two quarterbacks. Head Coach Todd Haley chose this route for much of 2010 before Palko received a promotion from the practice squad on December 8th.

For this scenario to occur, outside of injury, it would likely require Stanzi putting together an impressive preseason.

Speaking of Developing Quarterbacks…

The Chiefs selection of Stanzi had been a long time coming and, as we reviewed last week, could signal an overall change in the Chiefs draft philosophy.

After selecting just two quarterbacks from 1998-2010, GM Scott Pioli likes the idea of drafting a quarterback each year. Doing so just might help the Chiefs break a nasty streak.

Incredibly, the Chiefs have never drafted a quarterback who has thrown more career touchdowns than interceptions. Here’s the entire list.

All-Time Quarterbacks Drafted By Chiefs
Year Player Round College GP TDs INTs
1968 Mike Livingston 2nd SMU 91 56 83
1979 Steve Fuller 1st Clemson 90 28 41
1983 Todd Blackledge 1st Penn State 46 29 38
1981 Bob Gagliano 12th Utah State 32 17 27
2006 Brodie Croyle 3rd Alabama 18 8 9
1995 Steve Stenstrom 4th Stanford 17 4 12
1994 Steve Matthews 7th Memphis 3 0 0
1972 Dean Carlson 7th Iowa State 1 0 1
1992 Matt Blundin 2nd Virginia 3 0 2
1989 Mike Elkins 2nd Wake Forest 1 0 1
1974 David Jaynes 3rd Kansas 2 0 1
1997 Pat Barnes 4th California 1 0 0
1987 Doug Hudson 7th Nicholls State 1 0 0
2005 James Kilian 7th Tulsa 0 0 0
1988 Danny McManus 11th Florida State 0 0 0
1978 Pete Woods 4th Missouri 0 0 0
1977 Mark Vitali 10th Purdue 0 0 0
1976 Joe Bruner 13th NE Louisiana 0 0 0
1971 Chuck Hixson 13th SMU 0 0 0
*AFL Draft excluded

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Whats-Next-For-Chiefs-QBs/33a68c6a-4075-4859-9bfd-131dfd31835a

Titty Meat
05-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Pat Barnes.

Wilson8
05-10-2011, 10:26 PM
2011 NFL Free Agent QBs
Marc Bulger – BAL
Todd Collins – CHI
Todd Bouman – JAC
Chad Pennington – MIA
Brett Favre – MIN
Jim Sorgi – NYG
Charlie Frye – OAK
Billy Volek – SD
Matt Hasselbeck – SEA
J.P. Losman – SEA
Alex Smith – SF
Kerry Collins – TEN
Chris Simms – TEN
Rex Grossman – WAS
JaMarcus Russell
J.T. O’Sullivan

Might be Restricted depending on the 2011 NFL rules.
Brian Brohm – BUF
Matt Moore – CAR (4)
Caleb Hanie – CHI
Brady Quinn – DEN (4)
Drew Stanton – DET (4)
Matt Leinart – HOU (5)
Trent Edwards – JAC (4)
Brodie Croyle – KC (5)
Tyler Thigpen – MIA (4)
Tarvaris Jackson – MIN (5)
Kellen Clemens – NYJ (5)
Bruce Gradkowski – OAK (5)
Dennis Dixon – PIT – R
Troy Smith – SF (4)

http://www.nfltraderumors.co/2011/01/2011-free-agent-quarterbacks/

Wilson8
05-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Breaking down the 2012 QB class

An early look at some of the top quarterback prospects for the 2012 NFL draft.

Seniors

Ryan Tannehill: Texas A&M (6-4, 220)
In my mind he’s the most intriguing senior quarterback prospect in the class. Tannehill only has seven starts under his belt as a QB. However, he’s decisive, accurate and a gifted athlete inside/outside the pocket. He displays a real understanding of the game and I expect him to take off this year as a QB prospect.

Ryan Lindley: San Diego State (6-3, 218)
A tall, lean quarterback prospect with a great arm, but will need to prove he can still be efficient with a new head coach and two new receivers to throw to come September. However, the tools are there.

Brandon Weeden: Oklahoma State (6-4, 220)
He’s older than most prospects and doesn’t have a ton of experience. However, the guy can really spin the football and easily makes all the throws. Physically, I don’t think there’s too much separating him from former Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert to be honest.

Kirk Cousins: Michigan State (6-3, 205)
A tough, savvy Big Ten quarterback who knows how to move the chains, is accurate with the football and consistently wins football games. He’s not as naturally gifted as some of the other top QB prospects on the list, but he just finds a way to get the job done.

Nick Foles: Arizona (6-5, 245)
Foles possesses great size, can make all the throws and completed over 67 percent of his passes last year as a junior. However, the biggest question I have concerning him is… Can he win football games down the stretch? He lost his final five games of the year last season.

John Brantley: Florida (6-3, 220)
I’m not ready to write off the kid yet. He was thrown into a tough situation at Florida trying to replace Tim Tebow in an offense that wasn’t an ideal fit for him. However, with Charlie Weis now calling plays, I think the kid has a chance to mature into a legit NFL quarterback prospect.

Terrelle Pryor: Ohio State (6-6, 235)
He’s a better thrower of the football than many give him credit for. However, he is slow to decipher information, doesn’t have a natural feel for the pass game and struggles whenever he can’t improvise or make his mind up before the snap. Looks more like a developmental/late round QB prospect to me at this stage.

Underclassmen

Andrew Luck: Stanford (6-4, 235)
Simply put: He’s the best QB prospect I have ever seen. He can make all the throws and displays impressive accuracy on all levels of the field. Watching him get his team in and out of plays and deciphering information flawlessly is what really has me intrigued.

Matt Barkley: USC (6-2, 220)
If there’s one guy who could challenge Luck for the top spot it’s USC’s Matt Barkley. Barkley has started for the Trojans since his freshman year, is efficient in a pro-style offense and even as a freshman was a leader of men. Look for him to take that next step this season in year two under Lane Kiffin.

Landry Jones: Oklahoma (6-4, 220)
Some scouts I’ve talked with think it’s Jones who could end up challenging Luck as the number one overall pick. I’m not nearly that high on him, but you can’t ignore the kid’s skill set.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Breaking-down-the-2012-QB-class.html

Wilson8
05-10-2011, 10:31 PM
College Free Agent QBs
Patrick Devlin 6’3” 225 lbs Delaware draft grade 3.9

Scott Tolzien 6’2” 212 lbs Wisconsin draft grade 2.2

Jerrod Johnson 6’5” 251 lbs Texas A&M draft grade 2.0

Jeff Van Camp 6’5” 218 lbs Florida Atlantic draft grade 2.0

Joshua Portis 6’3” 211 lbs California (PA)

Ryan Colburn 6’3” 223 lbs Fresno St. draft grade 2.0

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-round-input:1

Wilson8
05-10-2011, 10:32 PM
1. Carolina Panthers – QBs – Jimmy Clausen, Matt Moore, Keith Null, Tony Pike, and Brian St. Pierre – (Cam Newton).

2. Denver Broncos – QBs – Tim Tebow, Kyle Orton, and Brady Quinn.

3. Buffalo Bills – QBs - Ryan Fitzpatrick and Levi Brown (Did not draft QB).

4. Cincinnati Bengals - QB Carson Palmer and Dan LeFevour. (Andy Dalton)

5. Arizona Cardinals - QB John Skelton, Derek Anderson, Max Hall, and Richard Bartel (Did not draft QB).

6. Cleveland Browns - QB Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace, and Jake Delhomme. (Did not draft a QB)

7. San Francisco 49ers - QB – Alex Smith, David Carr, and Troy Smith (Colin Kaepernick)

8. Tennessee Titans – QB – Vince Young, Rusty Smith, and Kerry Collins. (Jake Locker)

9. Dallas Cowboys – QB – Tony Romo, Stephen McGee, Chris Greisen, and Jon Kitna.

10. Washington Redskins – QB - Rex Grossman, John Beck, and Donovan McNabb. (Did not draft QB).

11. Houston Texans – QB – Matt Schaub, Dan Orlovsky, and Matt Leinart. (Taylor Yates).

12. Minnesota Vikings – QB – Brett Favre, Tarvaris Jackson, Rhett Bomar, Patrick Ramsey, and Joe Webb. (Christian Ponder)

13. Detroit Lions – QBs – Matthew Stafford, Drew Stanton, Zach Robinson, and Shawn Hill.

14. St. Louis Rams – QB Sam Bradford, A.J. Feeley, and Thaddeus Lewis.

15. Miami Dolphins – QB – Chad Henne, Tyler Thigpen. (Did not draft QB).

16. Jacksonville Jaguars – QB – David Garrard and Trent Edwards. (Blaine Gabbert)

17. Oakland Raiders – QB Jason Campbell and Bruce Gradkowski.

18. San Diego Chargers – QB Phillip Rivers and Billy Volek.

19. New York Giants – QB – Eli Manning, Sage Rosenfels, and Jim Sorgi.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – QB- Josh Freeman, Rudy Carpenter, and Josh Johnson.

21. Seattle Seahawks QB – Matt Hasselbeck, J.P. Losman, and Charlie Whitehurst.

22. Indianapolis Colts QB Peyton Manning and Curtis Painter.

23. Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rogers and Matt Flynn, and Graham Harrell.

24. Kansas City Chiefs QB Matt Cassel, Tyler Palko, and Brodie Croyle. (Ricky Stanzi)

25. New Orleans Saints QB – Drew Brees and Chase Daniel.

26. Baltimore Ravens QB Joe Flacco and Marc Bulger. (Tyrod Taylor)

27. Pittsburgh Steelers QB – Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch, and Byron Leftwich.

28. Philadelphia Eagles QB – Michael Vick, Mike Kafka, and Kevin Kolb.

29. Chicago Bears QB Jay Cutler, Todd Collins, and Caleb Hanie. (Nathan Enderle)

30. New York Jets QB Mark Sanchez, Marc Brunell, and Kellen Clemens. (Greg McElroy)

31. Atlanta Falcons QB Matt Ryan, John Parker Wilson, and Chris Redman.

32. New England Patriots QB Tom Brady and Brian Hoyer. (Ryan Mallett)

Wilson8
05-10-2011, 10:38 PM
I want - Scenario #2:

The Franchise
05-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Drew Stanton please.

Titty Meat
05-10-2011, 10:45 PM
LOL @ Pryor being a NFL prospect.

RealSNR
05-10-2011, 10:47 PM
2005 James Kilian 7th Tulsa 0 0 0

Damn. I was a real fan of him, too. Thought he for sure would have claimed the #2 spot when we let go of 0dd T0dd

CrazyPhuD
05-10-2011, 10:59 PM
How wrong of it is for me to say I want the No 1 pick next year so we can draft Luck! Speaking of which....I wonder what happens if we don't play next year. How is the draft order decided? Lottery?

rtmike
05-10-2011, 11:21 PM
I thought Shawn Hill did a good job of making chicken salad out of chicken shit for Detroit. Don't know what his contract looks like but he's a local boy, (Parsons, Ks.) & seems to have done fairly well whenever thrown into the spotlight.

Hammock Parties
05-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Croyle has no value to this team.

He looked like a complete piece of shit in San Diego last year.

I'm in favor of dumping Croyle and Palko and signing some Huardesque veteran who can at least run an NFL offense to be #2. There's too much at stake for this team now to not have an experienced and capable backup.

Frankie
05-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Drew Stanton please.

One of Detroit's backups that played last year did pretty well. Was that Stanton?

Frankie
05-10-2011, 11:48 PM
I thought Shawn Hill did a good job of making chicken salad out of chicken shit for Detroit. Don't know what his contract looks like but he's a local boy, (Parsons, Ks.) & seems to have done fairly well whenever thrown into the spotlight.

...Or was it Shawn Hill?

The Franchise
05-10-2011, 11:49 PM
One of Detroit's backups that played last year did pretty well. Was that Stanton?

Shaun Hill was the #2 but Stanton didn't do to bad last year when he had to come in. Plus he's actually a decent age.

Okie_Apparition
05-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Cryole will be playing exclusively with the twins next season

Bill Lundberg
05-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Croyle has no value to this team.

He looked like a complete piece of shit in San Diego last year.

I'm in favor of dumping Croyle and Palko and signing some Huardesque veteran who can at least run an NFL offense to be #2. There's too much at stake for this team now to not have an experienced and capable backup.

I completely agree.

Ebolapox
05-11-2011, 07:14 AM
croyle is done.

Chiefnj2
05-11-2011, 07:19 AM
You keep Croyle this year because by the time the lockout ends Stanzi won't have a chance in hell of picking up the offense and won't be ready to play this year if need be.

El Jefe
05-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Breaking down the 2012 QB class

An early look at some of the top quarterback prospects for the 2012 NFL draft.

Seniors

Ryan Tannehill: Texas A&M (6-4, 220)
In my mind he’s the most intriguing senior quarterback prospect in the class. Tannehill only has seven starts under his belt as a QB. However, he’s decisive, accurate and a gifted athlete inside/outside the pocket. He displays a real understanding of the game and I expect him to take off this year as a QB prospect.

Ryan Lindley: San Diego State (6-3, 218)
A tall, lean quarterback prospect with a great arm, but will need to prove he can still be efficient with a new head coach and two new receivers to throw to come September. However, the tools are there.

Brandon Weeden: Oklahoma State (6-4, 220)
He’s older than most prospects and doesn’t have a ton of experience. However, the guy can really spin the football and easily makes all the throws. Physically, I don’t think there’s too much separating him from former Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert to be honest.

Kirk Cousins: Michigan State (6-3, 205)
A tough, savvy Big Ten quarterback who knows how to move the chains, is accurate with the football and consistently wins football games. He’s not as naturally gifted as some of the other top QB prospects on the list, but he just finds a way to get the job done.

Nick Foles: Arizona (6-5, 245)
Foles possesses great size, can make all the throws and completed over 67 percent of his passes last year as a junior. However, the biggest question I have concerning him is… Can he win football games down the stretch? He lost his final five games of the year last season.

John Brantley: Florida (6-3, 220)
I’m not ready to write off the kid yet. He was thrown into a tough situation at Florida trying to replace Tim Tebow in an offense that wasn’t an ideal fit for him. However, with Charlie Weis now calling plays, I think the kid has a chance to mature into a legit NFL quarterback prospect.

Terrelle Pryor: Ohio State (6-6, 235)
He’s a better thrower of the football than many give him credit for. However, he is slow to decipher information, doesn’t have a natural feel for the pass game and struggles whenever he can’t improvise or make his mind up before the snap. Looks more like a developmental/late round QB prospect to me at this stage.Underclassmen

Andrew Luck: Stanford (6-4, 235)
Simply put: He’s the best QB prospect I have ever seen. He can make all the throws and displays impressive accuracy on all levels of the field. Watching him get his team in and out of plays and deciphering information flawlessly is what really has me intrigued.

Matt Barkley: USC (6-2, 220)
If there’s one guy who could challenge Luck for the top spot it’s USC’s Matt Barkley. Barkley has started for the Trojans since his freshman year, is efficient in a pro-style offense and even as a freshman was a leader of men. Look for him to take that next step this season in year two under Lane Kiffin.

Landry Jones: Oklahoma (6-4, 220)
Some scouts I’ve talked with think it’s Jones who could end up challenging Luck as the number one overall pick. I’m not nearly that high on him, but you can’t ignore the kid’s skill set.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Breaking-down-the-2012-QB-class.html

This is coming from a very devout Ohio State fan, I wouldn't touch Pryor unless you have 3 years to develop him. He is a great athlete, but he is not a great QB, I have never seen a QB that's better at fighting off or out runing possible sacks though. He can throw a nice deep ball, but he lofts his passes too much. His intermediate routes are trashy. He really has not shown the progression many buckeye fans expected he would (myself included).

TRR
05-11-2011, 07:45 AM
It definitely wouldn't hurt to have a Brunell like Sanchez did last year. For scout team looks, a capable backup in case Cassel goes down, and a vet mentor for Stanzi and Cassel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kerberos
05-11-2011, 08:06 AM
If rules let him be a free agent Bring Back the Thigmeister.

:)

JD10367
05-11-2011, 08:12 AM
I think the Chiefs will dump Croyle.

As for signing a cheap proven vet to be a backup who can step in and run an NFL offense, the problem is this: most of the guys on that list aren't very good and/or have age and injury issues. Why do people automatically assume a vet can do it better than a young guy? Maybe Palko or Stanzi is the next Cassel to Cassel's Brady (or Brady to Bledsoe).

I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs bring in a cheap vet to see if there's anything left in the tank, but I'd bet they go into the season with the pecking order as Cassel, Palko, and Stanzi... with the last two very close positionally, and likely to change. I wouldn't be shocked if, by midseason, Stanzi is the primary backup. It all depends on how comfortable he gets with the offense.

One advantage is that the Chiefs' offense is more run-oriented and short-pass oriented so, if Palko or Stanzi has to come in, not much has to change and it's a fairly comfortable offense for them to run. It's not like they have to come in and replace a guy who bombs it deep all day. ;)

ChiefsCountry
05-11-2011, 10:01 AM
It definitely wouldn't hurt to have a Brunell like Sanchez did last year. For scout team looks, a capable backup in case Cassel goes down, and a vet mentor for Stanzi and Cassel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Awesome our 29 year old QB needs a mentor.

ChiefsCountry
05-11-2011, 10:02 AM
I see Shaun Hill quite a bit. He lives in Osage Beach.

Otter
05-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Pat Barnes.

Didn't he break his hand really bad to the point they had to use pins to put it back together and he was dropped from the roster?

Mr. Laz
05-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Croyle has been collection money for doing nothing for how long now?

backup QB ... best job in the NFL

collect a million a year, play very little and then walk away from football healthy and a millionaire.

alpha_omega
05-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Scenario #2 is the most likely...IMHO.

Frankie
05-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I think the Chiefs will dump Croyle.

I wonder if we could sign him and then trade him to Buffalo for a 7th.

RealSNR
05-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Awesome our 29 year old QB needs a mentor.LMAO

I believe Cassel is 30 now, isn't he?

morphius
05-11-2011, 10:44 AM
I used to be a firm believer in the vet backup, but I've grown to believe I'd rather have a very good QB coach and a few young guys with potential. If the young backups lay an egg for a few weeks you can try to sign some below average vet then if you want.

And dump Croyle, he just doesn't have it.

Stewie
05-11-2011, 11:01 AM
If rules let him be a free agent Bring Back the Thigmeister.

:)

Heh! If he does leave Miami they only have Chad Henne as a QB?

Reerun_KC
05-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Awesome our 29 year old QB needs a mentor.

Brunells sorry worthless ass is the last person we would want mentoring anyone...

Where do people come up with this shit? Good God man...ROFL

Easy 6
05-11-2011, 02:25 PM

Yep, Hill played like a real stud for a woeful lions team.

He'd make a great #2 & if Cassel got hurt for any amount of time, Hill might just be able to supplant him.

Rasputin
05-11-2011, 03:04 PM
I used to be a firm believer in the vet backup, but I've grown to believe I'd rather have a very good QB coach and a few young guys with potential. If the young backups lay an egg for a few weeks you can try to sign some below average vet then if you want.

And dump Croyle, he just doesn't have it.

I strongly rather avoid vet QBs, they take away opportunity for guys we need to be developing. Let the coaches, coach, that's there job. Mostly cuz we don't make opportunities cuz we rarely draft prospects. Now with Pioli (thank God) looking to draft a QB each year, I am hopefull that we start this proccess.

Wilson8
05-12-2011, 06:46 PM
I’m posting the much abbreviated version of a good story on the QB free agent market.

The full 4 page report can be found at http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/37906/59/the-2011-quarterback-market

The original report has scouting reports on each QB plus additional reason why the author thinks the QB could end up with the team he predicts.

The 2011 Quarterback Market

The 2011 quarterback market will get interesting when the lockout ends and transactions are allowed. Vince Young and Donovan McNabb will breathe life into unrestricted free agency, while Kevin Kolb, Kyle Orton, and possibly Carson Palmer will become attractive trade targets.

Surefire Quarterback Free Agents

1. Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks
Prediction: Titans on a two-year, $9 million contract. Another option is Tennessee, where Hasselbeck has ties to GM Mike Reinfeldt and could serve as a bridge to No. 8 overall pick Jake Locker.

2. Marc Bulger, Ravens
Prediction: Cardinals on a three-year, $9 million backup's contract.

3. Alex Smith, 49ers
He won't be on a long rope, however, after Harbaugh traded up to draft Colin Kaepernick with the 36th overall pick.
Prediction: 49ers on a two-year, $7 million contract.

4. Tarvaris Jackson, Vikings
The Eagles are expected to trade Kevin Kolb, leaving only Mike Kafka behind Michael Vick.
Prediction: Eagles on a one-year, $2 million contract.

5. Bruce Gradkowski, Raiders
Because of his limited arm talent, Gradkowski is a quarterback who must be manipulated by the offense he plays in. A horizontal passing attack would suit his skills best.
Prediction: Seahawks on a one-year, $850,000 contract.

6. Billy Volek, Chargers
Position coaches under whom Volek has worked include Rob Chudzinski (current Panthers offensive coordinator) and Cam Cameron (Ravens offensive coordinator).
Prediction: Ravens on a two-year, $3.5 million contract.

7. Rex Grossman, Redskins

Washington offers his best path to play time, in addition to coaching staff support. He could conceivably end up battling John Beck for the starting job.
Prediction: Redskins on a one-year, $1.5 million contract.

8. Troy Smith, 49ers
He has history with Raiders coach Hue Jackson, who was Smith's position coach in 2008 and 2009.
Prediction: Raiders on a one-year, $850,000 contract.

9. Kerry Collins, Titans
Collins is best suited for a clear backup role in an offense that requires no movement skills at quarterback.
Prediction: Chargers on a one-year, $1 million contract.

10. Trent Edwards, Jaguars
2010 Jaguars QBs coach Mike Shula now holds the same role in Carolina.
Prediction: Panthers on a two-year, $3.5 million contract.

Other surefire free agent quarterbacks: Nate Davis, Chad Pennington, Brian Brohm, Jim Sorgi, Chris Simms, Charlie Frye, Patrick Ramsey, Josh McCown.

Wilson8
05-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Three- to Five-Year Restricted Free Agents

1. Dennis Dixon, Steelers
Dixon was a fifth-round choice in 2008 -- NFL teams may hesitate to surrender substantial compensation for a quarterback with two year-ending injuries to the same knee in four seasons.
Prediction: Steelers on his one-year restricted tender.

2. Tyler Thigpen, Dolphins
Thigpen has enjoyed his lone NFL success in a Chan Gailey offense, which incorporates Pistol concepts and lots of shotgun. Ryan Fitzpatrick needs a backup in Buffalo, so it makes sense that Thigpen would be a strong option there should his free agency be unrestricted, or the Fins be interested in trading him. They'd be smart to, seeing as Thigpen isn't their future.
Prediction: Bills via trade or signing.

3. Caleb Hanie, Bears
Hanie is a restricted free agent with three accrued years, meaning he won't be unrestricted regardless of a new CBA. But he may still be available. The Bears only gave Hanie an original pick tender, so interested teams could sign him to an offer sheet without having to cough up any compensation. Fifth-round pick Nate Enderle is Mike Martz's new developmental passer.
Prediction: Bears on his one-year restricted tender.

4. Matt Leinart, Texans
The Texans extended Leinart an original pick tender in February, but drafted T.J. Yates to sit behind Matt Schaub and Orlovsky. Yates will cost far less than Leinart's $1.2-1.3 million tender, so it will probably be rescinded after the lockout. Leinart would then become an unrestricted free agent. Old college coach Pete Carroll's team is a connectable dot, but it's telling that the Seahawks showed no interest in Leinart last September. Only Houston and Oakland did.
Prediction: Raiders on a one-year, $1 million contract.

5. Brodie Croyle, Chiefs
Whether Croyle was tendered before March 3 isn't totally clear, but it's believed he did receive an "original pick" designation. Still, he's on notice after the Chiefs drafted Ricky Stanzi in the fifth round. Croyle's offensive coordinator in Kansas City was current Bills coach Chan Gailey, although Gailey's offense was far more productive with Tyler Thigpen than Croyle.
Prediction: Vikings on a one-year, $850,000 contract.

Other three- to five-year restricted quarterbacks: Drew Stanton, Kellen Clemens, Matt Moore, Jordan Palmer

Wilson8
05-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Trade Candidates

1. Kevin Kolb, Eagles
Despite their inability to move Kolb during the draft due to lockout rules, the Eagles must trade him now because Kolb's contract is up after this season. Kolb will be a starter in 2011, probably with the Cardinals or Seahawks. Philadelphia is expected to demand a 2012 first-round pick and a starter on defense, which from Arizona could be someone like cornerback Greg Toler or from the Seahawks defensive tackle Brandon Mebane in a sign-and-trade deal.
Prediction: Cardinals via trade.

2. Kyle Orton, Broncos
During the draft, VP of Player Personnel John Elway strongly indicated that the Broncos want Tim Tebow to be their Week 1 starter. That makes Orton an $8.88 million projected backup, who's also in a contract year. The Broncos need to trade him now. Orton has played in several different offenses, from vertical schemes under Ron Turner to a passer-friendly shotgun attack for Josh McDaniels. Orton should be available for a third- to fourth-round pick.
Prediction: Dolphins via trade.

3. Carson Palmer, Bengals

Depends on who you ask. If it's Bengals owner Mike Brown -- a reliable source -- Palmer isn't going anywhere. Bengals coach Marvin Lewis and most league observers believe Palmer will sit out the 2011 season after threatening to retire if his trade demand isn't honored. We'll optimistically project Palmer to get his wish and land with old college coach Pete Carroll. It's probably in Cincinnati's best interest, too, as they could acquire an early- to mid-round pick in exchange.

Prediction: Seahawks via trade.

4. Matt Flynn, Packers

Flynn is due $555,000 in the last year of his deal. The Packers need to either sign him to an affordable extension or trade Flynn while they still can. Flynn has shown that he can keep Green Bay competitive if Aaron Rodgers misses time, so GM Ted Thompson probably prefers the former. Still, he may be hard pressed to turn down a third-round pick if offered.

Prediction: Stays with Packers.

5. Brian Hoyer, Patriots

Hoyer was included on this list because he's been the subject of some trade buzz, but we aren't buying it. The Pats have him under control through 2012 with a $480,000 base salary this year and restricted free agency next year. While aggressive coach Bill Belichick is always willing to listen to trade offers, we wouldn't look for Hoyer to be dealt before next spring.

Prediction: Stays with Patriots.

More Quarterback Trade Candidates: Jon Kitna, Josh Johnson, Jimmy Clausen.

Wilson8
05-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Release Candidates

1. Vince Young, Titans

Young is due $12.75 million in 2011, and the rest of the NFL is aware of his situation. He will be cut before a $4.25 million roster bonus comes due. At that point, V.Y. will be the top unrestricted free agent quarterback available on the open market. Redskins coach Mike Shanahan has shown an affinity for rehab projects, and his team has a glaring quarterback need.

Prediction: Released, signs with Redskins.

2. David Garrard, Jaguars

We don't think Garrard will be cut, but it became a possibility when the Jags traded up for Blaine Gabbert at the No. 10 pick. Top-ten QBs rarely ride the pine, and Garrard's $7.975 million salary is too hefty for a backup. The Jaguars also have Luke McCown in reserve. If Gabbert outplays Garrard in the preseason, Jack Del Rio will have a tough decision to make.

Prediction: Stays with Jaguars, loses job by Week 5.

3. Donovan McNabb, Redskins

The phony six-year contract McNabb signed last November contains a $10 million option bonus for 2011 that won't be paid by the Redskins or any other team. He will be released into unrestricted free agency once transactions are allowed. While the Vikings are rumored to have interest, we suspect they moved on from that idea after drafting Christian Ponder with the 12th overall pick. McNabb must latch on with a team running the West Coast offense.

Prediction: Released, signs with Bengals.

More Quarterback Release Candidates: Derek Anderson, Jake Delhomme, Charlie Batch, David Carr.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/37906/59/the-2011-quarterback-market

Frankie
05-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Trade Candidates

4. Matt Flynn, Packers

Flynn is due $555,000 in the last year of his deal. The Packers need to either sign him to an affordable extension or trade Flynn while they still can. Flynn has shown that he can keep Green Bay competitive if Aaron Rodgers misses time, so GM Ted Thompson probably prefers the former. Still, he may be hard pressed to turn down a third-round pick if offered.

Prediction: Stays with Packers.If Cassel goes down in a fiery crash next year (in football terms of course), this is the guy I would love for us to sign.

Wilson8
05-12-2011, 09:09 PM
If Cassel goes down in a fiery crash next year (in football terms of course), this is the guy I would love for us to sign.

Additional info on Flynn from that story -

4. Matt Flynn, Packers

Scouting Report: Flynn was essentially Colt McCoy coming out of LSU: Weak arm, fairly athletic, and a "winner." He's started one NFL game, completing 64.9 percent of 37 attempts for 251 yards, three scores, and a pick in last year's 31-27 Week 15 loss to New England. In that game, Flynn displayed impressive poise and accuracy. In three preseasons, Flynn has gone 83-of-135 (61.5%) for 855 yards (6.33 YPA), five touchdowns, and two interceptions. He's got limited tools, but we suspect Flynn would be a better starter than at least a few teams have in place.

Bewbies
05-12-2011, 09:17 PM
If we're going to draft a QB every year count me in the group wanting Foles next year. :)

Spott
05-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Wow, what a terrible list of QB's we've drafted. Every single one of them is actually worse than Cassel.

Frankie
05-12-2011, 09:27 PM
If we're going to draft a QB every year count me in the group wanting Foles next year. :)

I like him too. But for the first (and last) time, I may not be too too disappointed with a record that would bring us Luck.

Wilson8
05-12-2011, 09:40 PM
I thought Pat Devlin from Delaware might be a good additional QB for the Chiefs but Devlin and his agent will probably try to find a team that did not draft a QB. Maybe a team like San Diego or New York Giants.

Wilson8
05-12-2011, 10:03 PM
The Chiefs really do need a QB that could come in and start if Cassel is injured. Stanzi will have a lot to learn in his first year and probably won't be ready. Croyle and the Chiefs really need to move on.

The one story predicts that Marc Bulger signs with the Arizona Cardinals. But he also predicts that Arizona trade for Kevin Kolb. If the Kolb trade happens before the Bulger signs, Marc would look elsewhere.

I think the Chiefs should consider Bulger. He worked with QB coach Jim Zorn in Baltimore and he could start for Chiefs if we needed. Bring him on back to Missouri.

TRR
05-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Brunells sorry worthless ass is the last person we would want mentoring anyone...

Where do people come up with this shit? Good God man...ROFL

You are a complete idiot. You don't think a veteran QB helps in scout team, and with the development of a QB? I don't give a shit how OLD Cassel is, he's started 3 years total in the NFL after sitting out his entire college career. Age has nothing to do with it you moron.

Brunnel played an extremely significant role in Sanchez's maturation last year. Where is Stanzi's mentor?

Posted via Mobile Device

DTLB58
05-13-2011, 04:45 AM
I posted this on Facebook/Chiefs page also and I'm still confused, how can we have 3 QB's under contract NOW?!

DTLB58
05-13-2011, 04:50 AM
The Chiefs really do need a QB that could come in and start if Cassel is injured. Stanzi will have a lot to learn in his first year and probably won't be ready. Croyle and the Chiefs really need to move on.

The one story predicts that Marc Bulger signs with the Arizona Cardinals. But he also predicts that Arizona trade for Kevin Kolb. If the Kolb trade happens before the Bulger signs, Marc would look elsewhere.

I think the Chiefs should consider Bulger. He worked with QB coach Jim Zorn in Baltimore and he could start for Chiefs if we needed. Bring him on back to Missouri.

Couldn't agree more. I think it's only the smart football thing to do. IMO you should always have 3.
Starter/Veteran backup/Rookie-Developemental-QOTF?

DTLB58
05-13-2011, 04:54 AM
You are a complete idiot. You don't think a veteran QB helps in scout team, and with the development of a QB? I don't give a shit how OLD Cassel is, he's started 3 years total in the NFL after sitting out his entire college career. Age has nothing to do with it you moron.

Brunnel played an extremely significant role in Sanchez's maturation last year. Where is Stanzi's mentor?

Posted via Mobile Device

That's all well and good but the Chiefs NEED someone that can come in and lead the team to VICTORY like in San Diego last season if and when Cassel would go down again.
Brunell isn't going to do that.
I get your point, but the Chiefs need someone with some tread still left on the tire that can mentor AND play.

Wilson8
05-13-2011, 05:27 PM
If Cassel goes down in a fiery crash next year (in football terms of course), this is the guy I would love for us to sign.

More information on Flynn -

Matt Flynn sounds content to stay in Green Bay

With Kevin Kolb and Kyle Orton getting a lot of attention as possible quarterback trade targets, we haven’t heard much about Packers backup quarterback Matt Flynn. For good reason.

The Packers don’t seem eager to let him go and Flynn doesn’t sound too antsy about leaving the nest yet.

“I love being a Packer and I’ll be here as long as they want me,” Flynn told Kareem Copeland of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “It’s all kind of speculation right now, of what people want to write or whatever they want to say. You can’t say that anybody wants me or doesn’t want me. We’ll see what happens. I just like where I am right now.”

We question whether the Packers could get that much for Flynn. He was rock solid in a performance against the Patriots last year, but that game was more of a coaching masterpiece by Mike McCarthy than it was a dazzling quarterback display.

Even though he’s entering his contract year, Flynn’s value to Green Bay in 2011 may be greater than a mid-round 2012 draft pick. Based on Flynn’s words, it sounds like the team may get a chance to re-sign him as a long-term backup next year anyhow.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/13/matt-flynn-sounds-content-to-stay-in-green-bay/

The_Doctor10
05-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Gradkowski made the 2009-10 Raiders appear to at least be a real NFL football team; he isn't gonna set the world on fire, but he's a good leader, works hard, good head on his shoulders... There could be worse backups for Matty Melt

Wilson8
05-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Gradkowski made the 2009-10 Raiders appear to at least be a real NFL football team; he isn't gonna set the world on fire, but he's a good leader, works hard, good head on his shoulders... There could be worse backups for Matty Melt

5. Bruce Gradkowski, Raiders

Scouting Report: He's essentially Jeff Garcia. An undersized scrambler, Gradkowski ran a 4.5-flat at his 2006 Pro Day and has averaged 4.2 yards per rushing attempt in his career. While Gradkowski's arm strength and per-attempt passing stats are thoroughly unimpressive, he has shown the ability to move an offense for short stretches, mostly with improvisation. The 28-year-old has played primarily in West Coast-style offenses. While he's a bottom-barrel No. 2 quarterback, Gradkowski can provide a spark and would probably be one of the better No. 3s in the league.

Availability: The Raiders moved on from Gradkowski after axing his biggest fan, former head coach Tom Cable. Not receiving a tender, Gradkowski could resurface as a backup with Cable in Seattle. Because of his limited arm talent, Gradkowski is a quarterback who must be manipulated by the offense he plays in. A horizontal passing attack would suit his skills best.

Bewbies
05-13-2011, 11:44 PM
I like him too. But for the first (and last) time, I may not be too too disappointed with a record that would bring us Luck.

There is no way that will happen.

Frankie
05-14-2011, 09:51 PM
There is no way that will happen.

True. But watch for the Donks to go like 1-15 and land him. Elway has a hard on for Luck.