PDA

View Full Version : Life Off-topic Spin-off thread Family Vacation

Brianfo
05-11-2011, 06:54 PM
My wife and I have been researching several places to go on a family vacation this summer. We did Branson last summer and the kids loved it. One place that was recommended to us was Pigeon Forge, TN. Think it is close to the Smokey mts and we can rent cabins. Think there are some Dollywood theme parks that the kids could enjoy. Anyone ever been there or have knowledge of the area?? TIA

Brianfo
05-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Bump. Anyone????? Help a brother out.

cardken
05-11-2011, 08:13 PM
As you may or may not know, Dollywood was Originally a sister park to Silver Dollar City. It's (Pigeon Forge), is essentially the same thing as Branson.
Lots of Cabin rentals about the same rate as a nice Hotel, so worth it, nice, quiet and secluded. And the Smokey Mountain National Park is nearby and lots to see there as well, if you and your kids liked Branson, Dollywood would be a good pick. Highly recommend.

Spott
05-11-2011, 08:19 PM
We stayed in Cosby Creek cabins one time which isn't too far from there. I've also stayed over by Waynesville, NC and made the trip to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I've never been to Dollywood, but there is a ton of stuff to do in that area. IIRC, there's a hotel with a water park attached to it in that area.

Brianfo
05-11-2011, 08:20 PM
As you may or may not know, Dollywood was Originally a sister park to Silver Dollar City. It's (Pigeon Forge), is essentially the same thing as Branson.
Lots of Cabin rentals about the same rate as a nice Hotel, so worth it, nice, quiet and secluded. And the Smokey Mountain National Park is nearby and lots to see there as well, if you and your kids liked Branson, Dollywood would be a good pick. Highly recommend.

Thank you so kindly. Any other recs on things to do??

luv
05-11-2011, 08:26 PM
We stayed in Cosby Creek cabins one time which isn't too far from there. I've also stayed over by Waynesville, NC and made the trip to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I've never been to Dollywood, but there is a ton of stuff to do in that area. IIRC, there's a hotel with a water park attached to it in that area.

I had a friend who stayed in Gatlinburg and LOVED it.

Spott
05-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Thank you so kindly. Any other recs on things to do??

There a a lot of places to go rafting there, which my son loved. There is a whole strip of go kart tracks right there in Pigeon Forge for the kids. There used to be an amusement park called Ghost Town in the Sky in Maggie Valley, NC but I think it might be closed down now.

WV
05-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Depends on the time of year. I was there during peak season with the family and didn't care for Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg. Think the beach without the beach and that sums it up IMO. Dollywood was nice, but hardly a destination to solely go back for. I also didn't get to venture into Smoky National Park and that may have helped, but overall I just wasn't impressed.