PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request Judgement Day is coming

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Msmith
05-22-2011, 06:10 AM
kidding aside, why do people believe Camping's prediction despite his failure in the past?

burt
05-22-2011, 07:32 AM
kidding aside, why do people believe Camping's prediction despite his failure in the past?

paranoia.....and the fact that even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Bugeater
05-22-2011, 08:46 AM
I think the only people who really believed him were his nutjob followers.

Al Bundy
05-22-2011, 08:50 AM

I was hoping he was right.

Rausch
05-22-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm not really sure who I'd call or check with if the rapture really did come.

I doubt anyone I know has a ticket to spaceship-saved and if I went to church for guidance I'm pretty sure my Catholic priest would still be there to answer my questions.

After long thought, not so comforting...

Rausch
05-22-2011, 08:56 AM
I was hoping he was right.

I bet you're not now...

Rain Man
05-22-2011, 09:36 AM
okay, check in, everybody. let's see who's here and who isn't.

rain man still here but wife isn't. (after a moment of thought, I now recall that she's in atlanta on a business trip.)
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
05-22-2011, 09:42 AM
okay, check in, everybody. let's see who's here and who isn't.

rain man still here but wife isn't. (after a moment of thought, I now recall that she's in atlanta on a business trip.)
Posted via Mobile Device

We're all here.

But, had they been right, we'd still all be here...

Rain Man
05-22-2011, 09:52 AM
We're all here.

But, had they been right, we'd still all be here...

oh. yeah, I guess so.
Posted via Mobile Device

spida_man23
05-22-2011, 09:59 AM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z0GFRcFm-aY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

boogblaster
05-22-2011, 09:59 AM
hell he's 89 years old he thought he'd be dead by now and wouldnt have to face his critics ....

RustShack
05-22-2011, 10:34 AM
I was looking forward to football season without Tebow.

Al Bundy
05-22-2011, 10:35 AM
I bet you're not now...
Same feeling I had last night...

gblowfish
05-22-2011, 10:46 AM
take this you pussies
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c1fWmc1y4qc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This could make a nice guy kill.
I hate you.

Rausch
05-22-2011, 10:58 AM
The one reason I love guys like this is it makes normal (people NOT gettin' on the bus) think about how the forces of the universe might measure their life.

Their worth.

Their contribution to humanity as a whole.

Teh end of teh WORLDS is completely irrelevant. Does not matter if or when it happens.

But YOUR world will end some day. Might be years from now, might not.

"Did you have a good life when you died?

Enough to base the movie on?..."

luv
05-22-2011, 11:18 AM
I love how people try to analyze the Bible so much in order to try to predict something like this, yet they look over the passage that says we know not when that day will come.

Either that, or it happened, and everyone I know, including my church, got left behind.

johnny961
05-22-2011, 11:26 AM
I love how people try to analyze the Bible so much in order to try to predict something like this, yet they look over the passage that says we know not when that day will come.

Either that, or it happened, and everyone I know, including my church, got left behind.

Exactly. I never could figure his one out either.

philfree
05-22-2011, 11:39 AM
The lord did come on the day of rapture but he didn't take anyone with him. As he looked down upon his people he just went :facepalm:

PhilFree:arrow:

Rausch
05-22-2011, 11:44 AM
The lord did come on the day of rapture but he didn't take anyone with him. As he looked down upon his people he just went :facepalm:

PhilFree:arrow:

LMAO

Rain Man
05-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Maybe God is really one of those deep-sea fish, and he came and took all of the deep-sea fish yesterday. Anybody seen any deep-sea fish today?

Ugly Duck
05-22-2011, 12:33 PM
hell he's 89 years old he thought he'd be dead by now and wouldnt have to face his critics ....

His faithful followers sold everything they owned to buy end-of-days advertising for him. He was offered cash money several days before the Rapture for his house & cars. He refused to sell. Guess he wasn't as certain as his minions were....

Ace Gunner
05-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Maybe God is really one of those deep-sea fish, and he came and took all of the deep-sea fish yesterday. Anybody seen any deep-sea fish today?

that's it!! you must b really connected

kcxiv
05-22-2011, 01:57 PM
His faithful followers sold everything they owned to buy end-of-days advertising for him. He was offered cash money several days before the Rapture for his house & cars. He refused to sell. Guess he wasn't as certain as his minions were....

lol, heard his church pulled in about 19million last year or something? that shit is crazy. God said, bitch your going to be alive to show what a fraud you are. lol

Okie_Apparition
05-22-2011, 02:03 PM
Rapture people don't have to die but are okay with mass public nudity. Did they think this through

Dave Lane
05-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Or, they don't read and comprehend what they are reading as magic and supernatural powers, which seem to no longer be available to modern man or modern testing methods.

Dave Lane
05-22-2011, 02:15 PM

I haven't seen a single shark since the rapture. Odd.

Over-Head
05-22-2011, 02:31 PM
kidding aside, why do people believe Camping's prediction despite his failure in the past? Same reason 5.5 million Jehovah's Witnesses will tell you they are the ONLY RELIGION thats right :rolleyes:

bevischief
05-22-2011, 02:34 PM
So who left last night?

beach tribe
05-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Same reason 5.5 million Jehovah's Witnesses will tell you they are the ONLY RELIGION thats right :rolleyes:

You've seen the Jahovah's Witness comedian right?

All he tells is knock knock jokes.

Sure-Oz
05-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Keep fighting Royals

Over-Head
05-22-2011, 04:13 PM
You've seen the Jahovah's Witness comedian right?

All he tells is knock knock jokes.LMAO

Ugly Duck
05-22-2011, 09:58 PM
So who left last night?

I was surprised when I floated off to outer space last night. You Chiefsfanz all got Left Behind? Rooted for the wrong dang team, I reckon...

RustShack
05-22-2011, 11:16 PM
He probably doesn't even know how or where to come back now. Theres been so much sex, theres humans EVERYWHERE!

Frankie
05-23-2011, 10:54 PM
"Ooops!! I was off by only 5 months!"

:facepalm:

Preacher now says world's end actually coming in October.

By GARANCE BURKE, Associated Press

OAKLAND, Calif. – As crestfallen followers of a California preacher who foresaw the world's end strained to find meaning in their lives, Harold Camping revised his apocalyptic prophecy Monday, saying he was off by five months because the Earth actually will be obliterated on Oct. 21.

Camping, who predicted that 200 million Christians would be taken to heaven Saturday before global cataclysm struck the planet, said he felt so terrible when his doomsday message did not come true that he left home and took refuge in a motel with his wife. His independent ministry, Family Radio International, spent millions — some of it from donations made by followers — on more than 5,000 billboards and 20 RVs plastered with the Judgment Day message.

Follower Jeff Hopkins also spent a good deal of his own retirement savings on gas money to power his car so people would see its ominous lighted sign showcasing Camping's May 21 warning. As the appointed day drew nearer, Hopkins started making the 100-mile round trip from Long Island to New York City twice a day, spending at least $15 on gas each trip.

"I've been mocked and scoffed and cursed at and I've been through a lot with this lighted sign on top of my car," said Hopkins, 52, a former television producer who lives in Great River, NY. "I was doing what I've been instructed to do through the Bible, but now I've been stymied. It's like getting slapped in the face."

Camping, who made a special appearance before the press at the Oakland headquarters of the media empire Monday evening, apologized for not having the dates "worked out as accurately as I could have." Through chatting with a friend over what he acknowledged was a very difficult weekend, the light dawned on him that instead of the biblical Rapture in which the faithful would be swept up to the heavens, May 21 had instead been a "spiritual" Judgment Day, which places the entire world under Christ's judgment, he said.

The globe will be completely destroyed in five months, he said, when the apocalypse comes. But because God's judgment and salvation were completed on Saturday, there's no point in continuing to warn people about it, so his network will now just play Christian music and programs until the final end on Oct. 21.

"We've always said May 21 was the day, but we didn't understand altogether the spiritual meaning," he said. "The fact is there is only one kind of people who will ascend into heaven ... if God has saved them they're going to be caught up."

It's not the first time the 89-year-old retired civil engineer has been dismissed by the Christian mainstream and has been forced to explain when his prediction didn't come to pass. Camping also prophesized the Apocalypse would come in 1994, but said later that didn't happen then because of a mathematical error.

Monday, rather than give his normal daily broadcast, Camping took questions as a part of his show, "Open Forum," which transmits his interpretations of the Bible via the group's radio stations, TV channels, satellite broadcasts and website.

Camping's hands shook slightly as he pinned his microphone to his lapel, and as he clutched a worn Bible he spoke in a quivery monotone about listeners' earthly concerns after giving away their possessions in expectation of the Rapture.

Family Radio would never tell anyone what they should do with their possessions, and those who did would cope, Camping said.
"We're not in the business of financial advice," he said. "We're in the business of telling people there's someone who you can maybe talk to, maybe pray to, and that's God."

But he said he wouldn't give away all his possessions ahead of Oct 21.
"I still have to live in a house, I still have to drive a car," he said. "What would be the value of that? If it is Judgment Day why would I give it away?"

Apocalyptic thinking has always been part of American religious life and popular culture. Teachings about the end of the world vary dramatically — even within faith traditions — about how they will occur.

Still, the overwhelming majority of Christians reject the idea that the exact date or time of Jesus' return can be predicted.

Tim LaHaye, co-author of the best-selling "Left Behind" novels about the end times, recently called Camping's prediction "not only bizarre but 100 percent wrong!" He cited the Bible verse Matthew 24:36, "but about that day or hour no one knows" except God.

"While it may be in the near future, many signs of our times certainly indicate so, but anyone who thinks they `know' the day and the hour is flat out wrong," LaHaye wrote on his website, leftbehind.com.

Signs of disappointment also were evident online, where groups that had confidently predicted the Rapture — and, in some cases, had spent money to help spread the word through advertisements — took tentative steps to re-establish Internet presences in the face of widespread mockery.

The Pennsylvania-based group eBible Fellowship still has a website with images of May 21 billboards all over the world, but its Twitter feed has changed over from the increasingly confident predictions before the date to circumspect Bible verses that seem to speak to the confusion and hurt many members likely feel.

Camping offered no clues about Family Radio's finances Monday, saying he could not estimate how much had been spent on getting out his prediction nor how much money the nonprofit had taken in as a result. In 2009, the nonprofit reported in IRS filings that it received $18.3 million in donations, and had assets of more than $104 million, including $34 million in stocks or other publicly traded securities.

Josh Ocasion, who works the teleprompter during Camping's live broadcasts in the group's threadbare studio, sandwiched between an auto shop and a palm reader's business, said he enjoyed the production work but he had never truly believed the May 21 prophecy would come true.

"I thought he would show some more human decency in admitting he made a mistake," he said. "We didn't really see that."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_apocalypse_saturday/print

Three7s
05-23-2011, 11:40 PM
So we get to do all this again in 5 months? Hell yeah!

sd4chiefs
05-24-2011, 12:10 AM
So we get to do all this again in 5 months? Hell yeah!

PBJ:hail::toast::rolleyes::clap::D

Molitoth
05-24-2011, 07:49 AM
What a scam. This dude is making bank and ruining tons of gullable people's lives.

BigChiefFan
05-24-2011, 07:57 AM
It's a bogus story meant to give Christians a black eye.

Pasta Little Brioni
05-24-2011, 08:00 AM
What a scam. This dude is making bank and ruining tons of gullable people's lives.

If people are naive enough to give away thier money and possessions with this ridiculous way of thought, I feel no sorrow for them whatsoever.

I'd love to see the look on some of thier faces when they realized they weren't going to get "sucked up to heaven" LMAO

beach tribe
05-24-2011, 08:13 AM
If people are naive enough to give away thier money and possessions with this ridiculous way of thought, I feel no sorrow for them whatsoever.

I'd love to see the look on some of thier faces when they realized they weren't going to get "sucked up to heaven" LMAO

Yeah, I just can't really feel sorry for these idiots. You'd think they'd at least keep all of their shit, just in case right? If they don't that's own damn stupid fault.

Simplex3
05-24-2011, 08:24 AM

Right, because these people are fake. Totally a figment of the media's imagination.

Donger
05-24-2011, 08:26 AM
$104 million is assets?

LMAO

Msmith
05-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Sorry if it is a repost.

An attempted murder-suicide in California on March this year. By: Kristal Roberts

PALMDALE, Calif. - A California woman who says she wanted to protect her children from the May 21 “tribulation” is in jail after slitting the throats of her daughters’ before cutting her own back in March, KTLA reports.

Lyn Benedetto, 47, told authorities that to prevent her family from suffering, she had her daughters, 11 and 14, lie on a bed, took a box cutter knife to their throats, then cut herself March 19.

The suspect reportedly drove the victims to a friend’s home that she thought was empty, planning to die there.

Lancaster deputies say they responded to call regarding an assault with a knife around 5:30 p.m. from the owner of that home.

The mother was found at the location and arrested. The two victims were taken to Antelope Valley Hospital for “moderate though non life threatening injuries” and released to custody of Department of Children’s Services.

Benedetto is being held on a $1 million bail.

Link: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/national/california-mother,-lyn-benedetto,-tries-to-kill-kids-before-the-tribulation,-deputies-say

I wonder what the mother is thinking now.

BigChiefFan
05-24-2011, 08:31 AM
Right, because these people are fake. Totally a figment of the media's imagination. No, they are very real, with an absurd claim, so they ARE RIDICULED and MOCKED, EVIDENCED BY THIS VERY THREAD. The news media all covered the story and they all approached it with a raised eyebrow. Ask yourself why? Is that really news?

Donger
05-24-2011, 08:33 AM
No, they are very real, with an absurd claim, so they ARE RIDICULED and MOCKED, EVIDENCED BY THIS VERY THREAD. The news media all covered the story and they all approached it with a raised eyebrow. Ask yourself why? Is that really news?

Yes, they drove around in painted RVs and had pretty billboards made up because they didn't want attention.

Donger
05-24-2011, 08:34 AM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TYMuhN7OZgM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigChiefFan
05-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Yes, they drove around in painted RVs and had pretty billboards made up because they didn't want attention. So because someone drives a painted RV and makes a billboard advertisment, that actually makes it newsworthy? Yeah, right.

Donger
05-24-2011, 08:37 AM
So because someone drives a painted RV and makes a billboard advertisment, that actually makes it newsworthy? Yeah, right.

Obviously. People like a good freakshow.

BigChiefFan
05-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Obviously. People like a good freakshow.So, you admit, the story was released, knowing they would be mocked and ridiculed.

Donger
05-24-2011, 08:44 AM
So, you admit, the story was released, knowing they would be mocked and ridiculed.

I don't presume to know what goes on inside the heads of these people.

BigChiefFan
05-24-2011, 08:47 AM
I don't presume to know what goes on inside the heads of these people.

Sure you do, or you wouldn't have said people like a good freakshow. Why else would the story be released?

Donger
05-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Sure you do, or you wouldn't have said people like a good freakshow. Why else would the story be released?

You are flailing around a little. I said that I don't presume to know what goes on inside their heads (that they knew that they'd be mocked).

The story was released because these people chose to seek attention. They could have just as easily holed up in a bunker to wait for the rapture. They didn't.

Do you actually have a point to make? If so, what is it?

BigChiefFan
05-24-2011, 08:56 AM
You are flailing around a little. I said that I don't presume to know what goes on inside their heads (that they knew that they'd be mocked).

The story was released because these people chose to seek attention. They could have just as easily holed up in a bunker to wait for the rapture. They didn't.

Do you actually have a point to make? If so, what is it?

Everyone seeking attention will now become news. :LOL: Sure thing, Ringo.

LMAO I'll take that, as you falling on your sword.

Donger
05-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Everyone seeking attention will now become news. :LOL: Sure thing, Ringo.

LMAO I'll take that, as you falling on your sword.

No, not everyone. But, if you drive around in RVs and put up billboards stating that the world is going to end on a specific day, yes, you are going to get media attention. I don't even know why you are arguing that it won't. It did.

So, again, what is your point (if you have one)?

Simplex3
05-24-2011, 09:07 AM
No, not everyone. But, if you drive around in RVs and put up billboards stating that the world is going to end on a specific day, yes, you are going to get media attention. I don't even know why you are arguing that it won't. It did.

So, again, what is your point (if you have one)?

I think his point is that the media should ignore the idiots in the Christian corner, but go ahead and make spectacles out of everyone else.

It's the same, tired, poor, poor put-upon Christian story.

BigChiefFan
05-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Just because you try and get the last word, doesn't equal you making a point. The answers to your questions are already in my prior posts. You have changed horses in midstream and now you want to ask questions, rather than answer any. Your act is transparent.

Donger
05-24-2011, 09:13 AM
Just because you try and get the last word, doesn't equal you making a point. The answers to your questions are already in my prior posts. You have changed horses in midstream and now you want to ask questions, rather than answer any. Your act is transparent.

I'll be happy to answer any question you have. Proceed.

BigChiefFan
05-24-2011, 09:18 AM
I think his point is that the media should ignore the idiots in the Christian corner, but go ahead and make spectacles out of everyone else.

It's the same, tired, poor, poor put-upon Christian story.No. I believe they want to DIVIDE us by ridiculing different sects in our country, that includes Christians, but has very little to do with the basis of my contention. It's all about divide and conquer.

Simplex3
05-24-2011, 09:20 AM
The media is trying to conquer us?

BigChiefFan
05-24-2011, 09:27 AM
The media is trying to conquer us?No, mass media is the arm of propaganda.

They serve the elite. They are bought and paid for. ONE MAN owns the mass media.

Donger
05-24-2011, 09:31 AM
No, mass media is the arm of propaganda.

They serve the elite. They are bought and paid for. ONE MAN owns the mass media.

LMAO

BigChiefFan
05-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Dispute the truth, then you can laugh. Until then, jokes on you...

Who is Rupert Murdoch?
July 16, 2004

In recent years, Australian-born billionaire Rupert Murdoch has used the U.S. government's increasingly lax media regulations to consolidate his hold over the media and wider political debate in America. Consider Murdoch's empire: According to Businessweek, "his satellites deliver TV programs in five continents, all but dominating Britain, Italy, and wide swaths of Asia and the Middle East. He publishes 175 newspapers, including the New York Post and The Times of London. In the U.S., he owns the Twentieth Century Fox Studio, Fox Network, and 35 TV stations that reach more than 40% of the country...His cable channels include fast-growing Fox News, and 19 regional sports channels. In all, as many as one in five American homes at any given time will be tuned into a show News Corp. either produced or delivered." But who is the real Rupert Murdoch? As this report shows, he is a far-right partisan who has used his empire explicitly to pull American political debate to the right. He is also an enabler of the oppressive tactics employed by dictatorial regimes, and a man who admits to having hidden money in tax havens. In short, there more to Rupert Murdoch than meets the eye.

In 2003, Rupert Murdoch told a congressional panel that his use of "political influence in our newspapers or television" is "nonsense." But a close look at the record shows Murdoch has imparted his far-right agenda throughout his media empire.

MURDOCH THE WAR MONGER: Just after the Iraq invasion, the New York Times reported, "The war has illuminated anew the exceptional power in the hands of Murdoch, 72, the chairman of News Corp… In the last several months, the editorial policies of almost all his English-language news organizations have hewn very closely to Murdoch's own stridently hawkish political views, making his voice among the loudest in the Anglophone world in the international debate over the American-led war with Iraq." The Guardian reported before the war Murdoch gave "his full backing to war, praising George Bush as acting 'morally' and 'correctly' and describing Tony Blair as 'full of guts'" for his support of the war. Murdoch said just before the war, "We can't back down now – I think Bush is acting very morally, very correctly." [New York Times, 4/9/03; Guardian, 2/12/03]

MURDOCH THE NEOCONSERVATIVE: Murdoch owns the Weekly Standard, the neoconservative journal that employed key figures who pushed for war in Iraq. As the American Journalism Review noted, the circulation of Murdoch's Weekly Standard "hovers at only around 65,000. But its voice is much louder than those numbers suggest." Editor Bill Kristol "is particularly adept at steering Washington policy debates by inserting himself and his views into the discussion." In the early weeks of the War on Terror, Kristol "shepherded a letter to President Bush, signed by 40 D.c= opinion-makers, urging a wider military engagement." [Source: AJR, 12/01]

MURDOCH THE OIL IMPERIALIST: Murdoch has acknowledged his major rationale for supporting the Iraq invasion: oil. While both American and British politicians strenuously deny the significance of oil in the war, the Guardian of London notes, "Murdoch wasn't so reticent. He believes that deposing the Iraqi leader would lead to cheaper oil." Murdoch said before the war, "The greatest thing to come out of this for the world economy...would be $20 a barrel for oil. That's bigger than any tax cut in any country." He buttressed this statement when he later said, "Once [Iraq] is behind us, the whole world will benefit from cheaper oil which will be a bigger stimulus than anything else." [Guardian, 2/17/03]

MURDOCH THE INTIMIDATOR: According to Agence France-Press, "Rupert Murdoch's Fox News Channel threatened to sue the makers of 'The Simpsons' over a parody of the channel's right-wing political stance…In an interview this week with National Public Radio, Matt Groening recalled how the news channel had considered legal action, despite the fact that 'The Simpsons' is broadcast on sister network, Fox Entertainment. According to Groening, Fox took exception took a Simpsons' version of the Fox News rolling news ticker which parodied the channel's anti-Democrat stance with headlines like 'Do Democrats Cause Cancer?'" [Source: Agence France-Press, 10/29/03]

MURDOCH THE NEWS EDITOR: "When The New York Post tore up its front page on Monday night to trumpet an apparent exclusive that Representative Richard A. Gephardt would be Senator John Kerry's running mate, the newspaper based its decision on a very high-ranking source: Rupert Murdoch, the man who controls the company that owns The Post, an employee said yesterday. The Post employee demanded anonymity, saying senior editors had warned that those who discussed the Gephardt gaffe with other news organizations would lose their jobs." [NY Times, 7/9/04]

Just as Fox claims to be "fair and balanced," Rupert Murdoch claims to stay out of partisan politics. But he has made his views quite clear – and used his media empire to implement his wishes. As a former News Corp. executive told Fortune Magazine, Murdoch "hungered for the kind of influence in the United States that he had in England and Australia" and that meant "part of our political strategy [in the U.S.] was the New York Post and the creation of Fox News and the Weekly Standard."

MURDOCH THE BUSH SUPPORTER: Murdoch told Newsweek before the war, Bush "will either go down in history as a very great president or he'll crash and burn. I'm optimistic it will be the former by a ratio of 2 to 1…One senses he is a man of great character and deep humility." [Newsweek, 2/17/03]

MURDOCH THE BUSH FAMILY EMPLOYER: As Slate reports, Murdoch "put George W. Bush cousin John Ellis in charge of [Fox's] Election Night vote-counting operation: Ellis made Fox the first network to declare Bush the victor" even as the New Yorker reported that Ellis spent the evening discussing the election with George W. and Jeb Bush. After the election, Fox bragged that it attracted 6.8 million viewers on Election Night, meaning Ellis was in a key position to tilt the election for President Bush. [Source: Slate, 11/22/00; New Yorker, 11/20/00]

MURDOCH THE MIXER OF BUSINESS AND POLITICS: James Fallows of the Atlantic Monthly points out that most of Murdoch's actions "are consistent with the use of political influence for corporate advantage." In other words, he uses his publications to advance a political agenda that will make him money. The New York Times reports that in 2001, for example, The Sun, Britain's most widely read newspaper, followed Murdoch's lead in dropping its traditional conservative affiliation to endorse Tony Blair, the New Labor candidate. News Corp.'s other British papers, The Times of London, The Sunday Times and the tabloid News of the World, all concurred. The papers account for about 35% of the newspaper market in Britain. Blair backed "a communications bill in the British Parliament that would loosen restrictions on foreign media ownership and allow a major newspaper publisher to own a broadcast television station as well a provision its critics call the 'Murdoch clause' because it seems to apply mainly to News Corp." [Atlantic Monthly, 9/03; New York Times, 4/9/03]

MURDOCH THE NEW YORK CITY POLITICAL BOSS: The Columbia Journalism Review reported that during New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani's first term "News Corp. received a $20.7 million tax break for the mid-Manhattan office building that houses the Post, Fox News Channel, TV Guide and other operations. During Giuliani's 1997 reelection campaign, News Corp. was also angling for hefty city tax breaks and other incentives to set up a new printing plant in New York City. Most dramatically, Giuliani jumped in to aggressively champion News Corp. when it battled Time Warner over a slot for the Fox News Channel on Time Warner's local cable system…Three years into Giuliani's first term, veteran Village Voice political reporter Wayne Barrett asked Post editorial page editor Eric Breindel if the paper had run a single editorial critical of the administration; Breindel, he says, admitted it had not. According to Barrett, the paper pulled off a perfect four-year streak" of not one critical editorial. [Columbia Journalism Review, 6/98]

Rupert Murdoch thinks of himself as a staunch anti-communist. But a look at the record shows that when his own profits are on the line, he is willing to do favors for the most repressive regimes on the planet.

MURDOCH THE DEFENDER OF REPRESSIVE REGIMES: The last governor of Hong Kong before it was handed back to China, Chris Patten, signed a contract to write his memoirs with Murdoch's publishing company, HarperCollins. But according to the Evening Standard, when "Murdoch heard that the book, East and West, would say unflattering things about the Chinese leadership, with whom he was doing satellite TV business, the contract was cancelled. It caused a furor in the press - except, of course, in the Murdoch papers, which barely mentioned the story." According to BusinessWeek, internal memos surfaced suggesting the canceling of the contract was motivated by "corporate worries about friction with China, where HarperCollins' boss, Rupert Murdoch, has many business interests." [Evening Standard, 8/13/03; BusinessWeek, 9/15/98]

MURDOCH THE APOLOGIST FOR DICTATORSHIPS: Time Magazine reported that while Murdoch is supposedly "a devout anti-Soviet and anti-communist" he "became bewitched by China in the early '90s." In an effort to persuade Chinese dictators that he would never challenge their behavior, Murdoch "threw the BBC off Star TV" (his satellite network operating in China) after BBC aired reports about Chinese human rights violations. Murdoch argued the BBC "was gratuitously attacking the regime, playing film of the massacre in Tiananmen Square over and over again." In 1998 Chinese President Jiang Zemin praised Murdoch for the "objective" way in which his papers and television covered China. [Source: Time Magazine, 10/25/99]

MURDOCH THE PROPAGANDIST FOR DICTATORS: While Murdoch justifies his global media empire as a threat to "totalitarian regimes everywhere," according to Time Magazine, Murdoch actually pays the salary of a top TV consultant working to improve the Chinese government's communist state-run television CCTV. As Time notes, "nowadays, News Corp. and CCTV International are partners of sorts," exchanging agreements to air each other's content, even though CCTV is "a key propaganda arm of the Communist Party." [Source: Time Magazine, 7/6/04]

MURDOCH THE ENABLER OF HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATORS: According to the LA Times, Murdoch had his son James, now in charge of News Corp.'s China initiative, attack the Falun Gong, the spiritual movement banned by the Chinese government after 10,000 of its followers protested in Tiananmen Square. With Rupert in attendance, James Murdoch called the movement a "dangerous" and "apocalyptic cult" and lambasted the Western press for its negative portrayal of China's awful human rights record. Murdoch "startled even China's supporters with his zealous defense of that government's harsh crackdown on Falun Gong and criticism of Hong Kong democracy supporters." Murdoch also "said Hong Kong democracy advocates should accept the reality of life under a strong-willed 'absolutist' government." It "appeared to some to be a blatant effort to curry favor" with the China's repressive government. [LA Times, 3/23/01]

MURDOCH THE HIDER OF MONEY IN COMMUNIST CUBA: Despite a U.S. embargo of communist Cuba, the Washington Post reports, "News Corp.'s organizational chart consists of no less than 789 business units incorporated in 52 countries, including Mauritius, Fiji and even Cuba." [Washington Post, 12/7/97]

From union busting to tax evading, Rupert Murdoch has established a shady business record that raises serious questions about his corporate ethics.

MURDOCH THE UNION BUSTER: The Economist reported that in 1986 Murdoch "helped smash the British print unions by transferring the production of his newspapers to a non-union plant at Wapping in East London." The move "proved to be a turning-point in Britain's dreadful industrial relations." AP reported Murdoch specifically "slashed employment levels" at the union plant and said he would "dismiss the 6,000 striking workers" who were trying to force concessions out of the media baron. The London Evening Standard called the tactics "the biggest union-busting operation in history." [Sources: The Economist, 4/18/98; AP, 1/27/86; Evening Standard, 11/12/98]

MURDOCH THE CORPORATE TAX EVADER: The BBC reported that "Mr. Murdoch's die-hard loyalty to the tax loophole has drawn wide criticism" after a report found that in the four years prior to June 30, 1998, "Murdoch's News Corporation and its subsidiaries paid only $325 million in corporate taxes worldwide. That translates as 6% of the $5.4 billion consolidated pre-tax profits for the same period…By comparison another multi-national media empire, Disney, paid 31%. The corporate tax rates for the three main countries in which News Corp. operates - Australia, the United States and the UK - are 36%, 35% and 30% respectively. Further research reveals that Mr. Murdoch's main British holding company, News Corp. Investments, has paid no net corporation tax within these shores over the past 11 years. This is despite accumulated pre-tax profits of nearly $3 billion." [Source: BBC, 3/25/99]

MURDOCH THE LOVER OF OFFSHORE TAX HAVENS: When a congressional panel asked if he was hiding money in tax havens, including communist Cuba, Murdoch responded "we might have in the past, I'm not denying that." The Washington Post reports, "through the deft use of international accounting loopholes and offshore tax havens, Murdoch has paid corporate income taxes at one-fifth the rate of his chief U.S. rivals throughout the 1990s, according to corporate documents and company officials." Murdoch "has mastered the use of the offshore tax haven." His company "reduces its annual tax bill by channeling profits through dozens of subsidiaries in low-tax or no-tax places such as the Cayman Islands and Bermuda. The overseas profits from movies made by 20th Century Fox, for instance, flow into a News Corp.-controlled company in the Caymans, where they are not taxed." [Source: Congressional Testimony, 5/8/03; Washington Post, 12/7/97]

MURDOCH THE ABUSER OF TAX LOOPHOLES: Even though Murdoch changed his citizenship in order to comply with U.S. media ownership rules, many of his companies have remained Australian, allowing them "to utilize arcane accounting rules that have pumped up reported profits and greatly aided Murdoch's periodic acquisition sprees." IRS officials point out that "U.S.-based companies face U.S. taxes on their offshore subsidiaries in the Caymans and elsewhere if more than 50 percent of the subsidiary is controlled by American shareholders. But that doesn't apply to News Corp., an Australian company." [Source: Congressional Testimony, 5/8/03; Washington Post, 12/7/97]

To speak with our experts on this topic, please contact:

Print: Megan Smith (health care, education, economic policy)
202.741.6346 or msmith@americanprogress.org

Print: Christina DiPasquale (foreign policy and security, energy)
202.481.8181 or cdipasquale@americanprogress.org

Print: Raúl Arce-Contreras (ethnic media, immigration)
202.478.5318 or rarcecontreras@americanprogress.org

Radio: Anne Shoup
202.481.7146 or ashoup@americanprogress.org

TV: Andrea Purse
202.741.6250 or apurse@americanprogress.org

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2004/07/b122948.html

Skyy God
05-24-2011, 10:54 AM
58% of white evangelicals believe Christ will return by 2050. Other than BigChiefFan and Tom Cash, who else shares that belief.

http://www.thedemocraticstrategist.org/strategist/2011/05/waiting_for_the_apocalypse.php

Donger
05-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Dispute the truth, then you can laugh. Until then, jokes on you...

LMAO

Donger
05-24-2011, 10:59 AM
58% of white evangelicals believe Christ will return by 2050. Other than BigChiefFan and Tom Cash, who else shares that belief.

http://www.thedemocraticstrategist.org/strategist/2011/05/waiting_for_the_apocalypse.php

I won't make a determination until I hear from the Asian evangelicals.

Dave Lane
05-24-2011, 11:12 AM

It would be hard too. They are MUCH better at math. Especially if you pit them against a 89 year old.

BigCatDaddy
05-24-2011, 11:15 AM

Obviously nobody knows, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Not that it really should be the focus of Christians anyway. We are called to keep trying to bring Heaven to Earth and when it happens it happens.

Frankie
05-24-2011, 11:55 AM

Sadly it's way worse than you think:

http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/harold_camping.htm

Mother Kills Son (Was It Over The Rapture?)

In May of 2011, Julianne McCrery, a Texas mother, killed her 6 year old son in Maine. The suspected and alleged reason was in preparation for the Rapture on May 21, 2011. When she was arrested, she was sitting in her truck reading a bible. The media called her a bible thumping religious zealot who sacrificed her son in preparation for the rapture, which is predicted for Saturday, May 21. If that was the real reason, it doesn't seem clear at this time.

Attempted Murder-Suicide To Escape The Tribulation

A Los Angeles County woman, Lyn Benedetto, tried to unsuccessfully kill her daughters and herself by cutting their necks with a knife on 3-19-11 because she thought the Tribulation was coming. Her attempted murder-suicide is crystal clear proof of the danger of false teachers and false prophets, but only reveals the temporal side of this damage. It doesn't reveal the many lost SOULS who are now in hell because they were deceived. Jesus called such people ravenous wolves in sheep's clothing (Mt. 7:15). Harold Camping is just one of many. BTW, because of Harold Camping and other false prophets, non-believers have mocked the credibility of the Bible, the Lord's return and Christianity in general. NOTE: The Bible has never and will never be discredited by any false prophet, including Harold Camping. More will come, as the age comes to a close. One final point: In light of Lyn Benedetto, can you image the similar problems that will arise over the upcoming December 21, 2012 hysteria. It won't be pretty! Anchor yourself in God, the only sure hope anyone has.

Life's Savings Wasted

The New York Post (May 13, 2011 issue) ran an article of an engineer who has wasted more than $140,000 (his life's savings) into advertising the May 21, 2011 Harold Camping false prophecy. That man could be ruined for the rest of his life because he believed the Camping lie. That reflects the DANGER of false prophets to just a minimal degree. Similiar financial harm was done in 1988 with that rapture false prophecy too. If it was only embarrassed and ruined lives the harm would be too great. Sadly, the rotten fruit of people like Harold Camping will stretch in eternity as SOULS are hurt spiritually in various ways.

Frankie
05-24-2011, 12:03 PM

You are right. Just like this was made up to give "Heaven's Gate" membership a black eye.

<div style='text-align:center'>
<object width='560' height='450' id='FiveminPlayer' classid='clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000'>
<param name='allowfullscreen' value='true'/>
<param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'/>
<param name='movie' value='http://embed.5min.com/120001572/'/>
<param name='wmode' value='opaque' />
<embed name='FiveminPlayer' src='http://embed.5min.com/120001572/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='560' height='450' allowfullscreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' wmode='opaque'>
</embed>
</object>
<br/>
</div>

Frankie
05-24-2011, 12:05 PM
The media is trying to conquer us?

And we all know who controls the media.... :hmmm:.... them Jews!"

Frankie
05-24-2011, 12:09 PM

:D

Is he Asian enough?

http://blog.al.com/living-news/2009/09/large_Benny%20Hinn.jpg

sd4chiefs
10-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Here we go again.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/10/13/harold-campings-back-with-a-brand-new-doomsday-prediction/?hpt=hp_t2

The end of the world is nigh – again.

Doomsday prophet Harold Camping is once more predicting an apocalypse, and apparently we don't have long left. The 90-year-old California radio mogul has pointed to October 21 on the calendar, by which date he reckons it will “probably” all be over.

But this time around he is not warning of souls burning up and ascensions to heaven from the sidewalks of Manhattan. Instead Camping, the owner of the Family Radio Network, believes it will be a much quieter affair.

“I really am beginning to think as I restudied these matters that there's going to be no big display of any kind. The end is going to come very, very quietly, probably within the next month. It will happen, that is, by October 21," he stated in a recent radio recording.

Camping became infamous earlier this year for incorrectly heralding the arrival of the Rapture on May 21. Followers across the U.S. spent millions on advertising campaigns warning people of the eventual non-event.

durtyrute
10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
better get to fuckin

Lonewolf Ed
10-13-2011, 08:39 PM
So the prediction of May 21 obviously was wrong, and now it is going to be October 21... probably. If they are wrong again, let me make a prediction: the End will come in one of the months that does have a 21st day in it.

Prepare!

Three7s
10-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Here we go again! ROFL

Bugeater
10-13-2011, 08:43 PM
This clown is 90 fucking years old? Yeah, judgment day is coming, but it's going to be his own.

Tribal Warfare
10-13-2011, 10:59 PM
So the prediction of May 21 obviously was wrong, and now it is going to be October 21... probably. If they are wrong again, let me make a prediction: the End will come in one of the months that does have a 21st day in it.

Prepare!

Goddamnit, TGIF my motherfucking ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buck
10-13-2011, 11:01 PM
I remember during the first apocalypse this year my girlfriend and I had crazy sex all night just in case. I need to find a girl by October 21st apparently.

4th and Long
10-13-2011, 11:09 PM
Sweet! I don't have to buy any Halloween candy for those little fuggers this year.

burt
10-13-2011, 11:29 PM
I remember during the first apocalypse this year my girlfriend and I had crazy sex all night just in case. I need to find a girl by October 21st apparently.

just flash those fingers a lot.....gals will be all over you.

Ugly Duck
10-13-2011, 11:46 PM
So the prediction of May 21 obviously was wrong, and now it is going to be October 21

But this time the end will come so quietly that nobody will notice that the world has just ended.

Buck
10-13-2011, 11:51 PM
just flash those fingers a lot.....gals will be all over you.

My short stubby fingers aren't exactly a turn on...haha.

I will say that ever since I shaved my head bald, I've made out with 3 chicks and it's been about a week. Haven't sealed the deal with any of them yet, but none of them are the ex (and the girl who I bang on the occasional drunk night). I think shaving my head is the best thing I've ever done.

ShowtimeSBMVP
10-20-2011, 08:22 PM
So tomorrow is the big day....

Fish
10-20-2011, 08:29 PM
I maxed out all 7 credit cards on May 20th. I need a little more time in between prediction dates here....

Pioli Zombie
10-20-2011, 09:58 PM
In Hell Matt Cassel is the quarterback for all of eternity. Kind of like now.

Crush
10-20-2011, 10:02 PM
We're doooooomed!

RustShack
10-20-2011, 10:06 PM
shoot shoot shoot

Three7s
10-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Shit's about to get real.

Bump
10-20-2011, 11:14 PM
I just finished the walking dead AND I have seen every episode of man vs wild, survivorman, dual survivor and man woman wild. I"M FUCKING READY BITCHES!

Bambi
10-20-2011, 11:17 PM
I just finished the walking dead AND I have seen every episode of man vs wild, survivorman, dual survivor and man woman wild. I"M ****ING READY BITCHES!

Walking Dead is going to fail due to weak character development.

Otherwise, its on

Bump
10-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Walking Dead is going to fail due to weak character development.

Otherwise, its on

the show had potential, I saw on netflix but only 6 episodes? WTF kind of a season is that?

-King-
10-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Fuck! And I just started in on Season 1 of Breaking Bad.

greg63
10-20-2011, 11:41 PM
He's currently brushing up on his "miscalculation" speach.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-21-2011, 04:49 AM
Well, its the end of the world for Ghaddaffi anyway.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-21-2011, 05:00 AM
In Hell, Matt Cassel tosses you bottles of water.

Bwana
10-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Tick Toc........It's Dooooooooooooom time!

http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/374954/81834592.jpg

loochy
10-21-2011, 08:30 AM
They already had Judgement Day. It was on October 18, 1998.

http://images.wikia.com/prowrestling/images/3/3f/1998JudgmentDay.jpg

Frankie
10-21-2011, 10:08 AM
The guy is a fraud. It's not the end of the world boys and girls. The sure sign would have been that the Chiefs would have been in a season as the clear favorite to win the Super Bowl. We are NOT in that season.

loochy
10-21-2011, 10:16 AM
The guy is a fraud. It's not the end of the world boys and girls. The sure sign would have been that the Chiefs would have been in a season as the clear favorite to win the Super Bowl. We are NOT in that season.

Oh we could easily be a FAVORITE to win the Super Bowl. We just WON'T.

Rain Man
10-21-2011, 10:17 AM

I sure hope not. It'd be nice to have enough notice to spend out my IRA on fun stuff.

DMAC
10-21-2011, 10:20 AM
I sure hope not. It'd be nice to have enough notice to spend out my IRA on fun stuff.

Yeah, cause you never get to do anything cool.

Rain Man
10-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Yeah, cause you never get to do anything cool.

I know. Life is hard, and I've still never been to ... no wait, I did go there ... and still haven't done ... no wait, did that.

(Long pause)

I haven't yet been to Macchu Picchu by ship.

ModSocks
10-21-2011, 10:37 AM
Wait, is the end of the world today? Shit...I'm not wearing clean undies...

ModSocks
10-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Wait, is the end of the world today? Shit...I'm not wearing clean undies...

Three7s
10-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Well guys, I just got raptured, but then they sent me back because I didn't smell "holy enough". Guess I'm going to hell with rest of you stinky bastards!

Frankie
10-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Shoulda changed your undies.

DMAC
10-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Well guys, I just got raptured, but then they sent me back because I didn't smell "holy enough". Guess I'm going to hell with rest of you stinky bastards!

I am in Heaven right now, and still posting on CP. That is how awesome CP is.

Three7s
10-21-2011, 02:10 PM
I am in Heaven right now, and still posting on CP. That is how awesome CP is.
Do they have internet in Heaven, or is it just some kind of otherworldly magic?

Otter
10-21-2011, 02:19 PM
I just left a steamer on my bosses desk while he watched speechless. This shit better pan out!

whoman69
10-21-2011, 02:51 PM
In Hell, Matt Cassel tosses you bottles of water.

Through the cornhole board?

Hydrae
10-21-2011, 04:01 PM
I know. Life is hard, and I've still never been to ... no wait, I did go there ... and still haven't done ... no wait, did that.

(Long pause)

I haven't yet been to Macchu Picchu by ship.

Airship?

shirtsleeve
10-21-2011, 04:18 PM
The day aint over yet...still time to tear it up before the end!

Pioli Zombie
10-22-2011, 08:44 AM
In Hell you have 2:00 to play down by 4 in the AFCCG and you have first and goal and Cassel is your qb. Over and over and over and over and over

Sofa King
10-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Son of a bitch. Did i miss another rapture?

At some point you'd think they'd, i dunno, accidentally take me or something.

Bwana
10-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Ooooooooooops! Waiting for Harold the loon, to pick his next date.