PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Pioli has chosen his Iron Man

Okie_Apparition
05-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Posted on Wed, May. 11, 2011 11:21 PM

Eric Berry’s workload in 2010 could become issue for Chiefs

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

After making the Pro Bowl and helping the Chiefs to a division title as a rookie, Eric Berry is a logical candidate to become the NFL’s next great safety.

But for Berry to get there, the Chiefs may need to play him fewer snaps. Berry was the lone Chiefs player to participate in all of their defensive plays last season, according to statistics obtained by The Kansas City Star.

Berry also was in for almost half the Chiefs’ special-teams plays.

The number of plays in which each Chiefs player participated — or, in some cases, did not participate — casts a revealing light on a few other key issues as the league and its locked-out players await word from the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals on when they can resume offseason activities in anticipation of the 2011 season.

Another defensive player, lineman Glenn Dorsey, had an abnormally high play count for his position. Dorsey was in for 86 percent of Kansas City’s 1,065 defensive plays.

Coach Todd Haley said during the season that he planned to monitor playing time for all the Chiefs and didn’t want to overuse any of them.

“I’m just trying to keep my eyes wide open and really make it something I’m focused on a lot of the time, and then make the (assistant) coaches aware of it at all times also, so that we’re not being short-sighted for the future or now,” Haley said.

Haley didn’t overlook Berry or Dorsey. But their play counts are a sign of how valuable the Chiefs consider them to be.

Berry helped the Chiefs make huge gains defensively, particularly against the run. His pass coverage still needs work, as Baltimore tight end Todd Heap showed with a big game at Arrowhead Stadium in the playoffs.

Berry was also one of Kansas City’s top special-teams participants. He was a regular on the Chiefs’ kickoff-coverage and kickoff-return teams.

Dorsey is the Chiefs’ most versatile defensive lineman. They rotated their other linemen liberally. No other Chiefs lineman played more than 50 percent of the team’s defensive snaps.

But Haley and Co. obviously believed they couldn’t survive without Dorsey in the lineup most of the time. He was also in for about 9 percent of the Chiefs’ special-teams plays.

It’s not uncommon for a defensive back like Berry to play a high percentage of his team’s defensive snaps. Cornerback Brandon Carr, for instance, took part in 99 percent, or all but 10, of the Chiefs’ plays on defense in 2010.

The Chiefs could lighten Berry’s load by removing him from special-teams duty, where he played in 195 of their 468 plays. Only eight Chiefs were in for more special-teams plays. The Chiefs drafted cornerback Jalil Brown in the fourth round this year and may give him some or all of Berry’s special-teams work in 2011.

But it could prove difficult for the Chiefs to provide more rest for Dorsey. They drafted Allen Bailey in the third round, but it’s unlikely Bailey can be the versatile threat that Dorsey is, particularly early in his career.

On offense, center Casey Wiegmann played in every one of the Chiefs’ 1,103 offensive plays. Wiegmann hasn’t missed a snap since 2001, a streak the Chiefs said stands at 10,441.

Florida State’s Rodney Hudson, drafted in the second round to replace Wiegmann, will be busy next season if he wins the starting spot. It’s not uncommon for a healthy offensive lineman to play most or all of his team’s snaps, and all five of the Chiefs’ starting offensive linemen played at least 90 percent of the snaps last year.

Running back Jamaal Charles participated in just 53 percent of the Chiefs’ offensive plays in 2010 and still finished second in the NFL with 1,467 rushing yards.

Charles was either handed (230 times) or thrown the ball (45 times) on 47 percent of the 587 plays in which he participated.

Fellow running back Thomas Jones, who had 15 more carries than Charles last season, played just 41 percent of the Chiefs’ snaps.

To reach Adam Teicher, call 816-234-4875 or send email to ateicher@kcstar.com. Follow him at twitter.com/adamteicher.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/11/2868817/berrys-workload-in-2010-could.html

Deberg_1990
05-12-2011, 03:29 PM
I dont get the thread title? He wants to cut his workload, not increase it or maintain his Iron Man status......

DJ's left nut
05-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Couldn't be helped, really.

The safety depth last season was abysmal. That's why I actually warmed to the Brown pick, he's a versatile enough player to step in and provide some support for Lewis and Berry.

Though Teicher is right, Berry really should be taken off of ST. That's a lot of collisions his body could avoid. STs is probably more physically taxing on a per/play basis than any other job on the field.

Okie_Apparition
05-12-2011, 03:35 PM
I thought Thor, my bad :sulk:

Chiefs=Champions
05-12-2011, 07:01 PM
I'd like to compare Berry's number of snaps to other safties before i start to worry. Its not like he broke down at the end of the season. He played his best football then...

Okie_Apparition
05-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Moeaki can be his Asian sidekick

Mr. Laz
05-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Berry shouldn't play special teams next year at all imo

DTLB58
05-12-2011, 10:20 PM

I'll second that.

Simply Red
05-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Moeaki can be his Asian sidekick

I thought he was black.

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Berry is worn out. Trade him now while he still has value.

DaKCMan AP
05-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Berry should play nearly all of the defensive snaps, but get him off STs.

Dorsey's % of snaps should go down next year with a nice D-line rotation of:
Dorsey-Bailey
Edwards-Powe
Jackson-Smith (assuming he's re-signed)-Gilberry

Otter
05-13-2011, 06:57 AM
Berry should be forced to eat rhubarb pie when special teams play.

Rausch
05-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Berry should play nearly all of the defensive snaps, but get him off STs.

This...

Radar Chief
05-13-2011, 07:18 AM

If I had any say in it I might keep him on a situational team, like the hands team, but otherwise he doesn’t need to be a regular special teams player.

talastan
05-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Berry has lost his burst...../Teicher

Inspector
05-13-2011, 07:59 AM
We drafted Robert Downey Jr.???

DaKCMan AP
05-13-2011, 08:40 AM
We drafted Robert Downey Jr.???

Can he play RT?

Inspector
05-13-2011, 10:05 AM