PDA

View Full Version : Life Ebay

Lono
05-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Well I knew it was probably bound to happen someday. We were finally scammed. Going through the process of trying to get my $655 back. Pluses for me atm, day after I won and paid ebay sends me a message telling me to not pay and if i paid by check to have it canceled. Guy refunded my money through paypal and it basically bounced because he had no money in his account.

Anyone ever dealt with this? Did you have any luck at getting your money back. I know all kinds of information about the guy including where he lives and his home address (if it really even is the same guy).

AndChiefs
05-13-2011, 08:03 AM
Go to his house and throw him into a burning AIDS tree.

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Well I knew it was probably bound to happen someday. We were finally scammed. Going through the process of trying to get my $655 back. Pluses for me atm, day after I won and paid ebay sends me a message telling me to not pay and if i paid by check to have it canceled. Guy refunded my money through paypal and it basically bounced because he had no money in his account.

Anyone ever dealt with this? Did you have any luck at getting your money back. I know all kinds of information about the guy including where he lives and his home address (if it really even is the same guy).

It doesn't help now but this is exactly why I always pay with a credit card through Paypal. If all else fails, you can call the credit company up and say you were scammed and they'll just go grab the money back.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Dave Lane
05-13-2011, 08:12 AM

Yes a lot I'm out about $10,000 over the last 5 years. As a seller you are fucked. As a buyer you can try their buyers protection plan, but I've never seen a nickle from them on any claim.

Lono
05-13-2011, 08:21 AM
It doesn't help now but this is exactly why I always pay with a credit card through Paypal. If all else fails, you can call the credit company up and say you were scammed and they'll just go grab the money back.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Actually, I did pay with my discover card through paypal. I have already contacted them. They said to wait and see what ebay and paypal did. If they didn't refund my money to call them back.

Al Bundy
05-13-2011, 08:24 AM
I have been on ebay for 11 years and have only been scammed once. Guy got me and about 15 other people at the same time. I never did get my money back though.

Saulbadguy
05-13-2011, 08:24 AM

You should probably call the guy and let him know his identity has been stolen.

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Actually, I did pay with my discover card through paypal. I have already contacted them. They said to wait and see what ebay and paypal did. If they didn't refund my money to call them back.

Yeah, that's the best way to handle it. If eBay and/or Paypal don't take care of you, it's very easy for Discover to issue a chargeback. And they will.

Good luck to ya.

My only instance of really being scammed was before eBay on a site called CityAuction. Dude there was selling the Adobe Graphics Package. All promised to be legit, valid software. It included Illustrator, Photoshop, Premier and After Effects, among other things. I worked my ass off to win that auction from another dude and ended up pay about $650 for the entire thing (at the time, that was less than the cost of Premier and After Effects together, which is what I really wanted anyway). So I finally got the package and it was professionally done, but looked a little sketchy. I went ahead and installed and everything worked flawlessly.

Until a week later, and I got a call. Mind you, this was 12 or 13 years ago, or so. I remember it so clearly.

Me: "Hello?"
Voice: "Hi, Fire Me Boy! please."
Me: "Speaking."
Voice: "This is David Graham with Adobe Piracy."
Me: "Uhhh...."

Turns out the guy was using expired Mac product keys and obviously pirating the software.

Anyhoo - long story short, I worked with them for a few days and after they saw that I was a loyal Adobe buyer (I had several products legitimately registered in my name), they wanted to "make things right" and offered to give me two products of my choice in exchange for copies of the guy's emails and all the product/packaging from the pirated stuff. So all in all, I ended up with legit copies of the two products I really wanted, and hopefully helped stick it to the bastard pirate that sold me the bogus software.

Lono
05-13-2011, 09:37 AM
Wow Fire, that takes it up a level. You were not only out of money but almost in legal trouble. Glad it worked out for ya in the end.

My question is how does the credit card charge back work? Do they go after the guy for the money? Or do they simply credit me the charge back?

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Wow Fire, that takes it up a level. You were not only out of money but almost in legal trouble. Glad it worked out for ya in the end.

My question is how does the credit card charge back work? Do they go after the guy for the money? Or do they simply credit me the charge back?

I think they'll actually credit you the money and make the charge back to Paypal, and Paypal will go after the guy a little more seriously. Paypal won't get pissed at you unless you do it all the time. But yeah, very quickly you'll have your money back.

Three7s
05-13-2011, 09:49 AM
The worst part about these ebay scammers is that they always look to buy accounts with good feedback. It's impossible to trust anyone there anymore.

Demonpenz
05-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Sorry for your loss

Frazod
05-13-2011, 10:01 AM
The worst part about these ebay scammers is that they always look to buy accounts with good feedback. It's impossible to trust anyone there anymore.

Shit, that's something that never even occurred to me. :doh!:

-King-
05-13-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm going through the same thing right now. I was only out $125 though.

Kerberos
05-13-2011, 10:18 AM
I can honestly say I haven't been scammed on eBay....YET. But I have on TWO different occasions bought an item and had the seller send me my item TWICE. I remember the first was back in 2000 I bought a Motorola cable modem (at the time they were still expensive) for $119 shipping included. I got my modem a week later and two days later another modem came in the mail from the same address.

No I didn't send it back. I sold it to a guy for almost what I paid for mine.

Second one was an electric razor (Norleco) $75 and got two for the price of one.

Then again the ONE item I purchased off ebay that was more than $100 was a digital camera in 1999 and it was a $1000 Sony CD-R digital camera. Saved me about $500 from buying it retail.

Huffmeister
05-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Anyhoo - long story short, I worked with them for a few days and after they saw that I was a loyal Adobe buyer (I had several products legitimately registered in my name), they wanted to "make things right" and offered to give me two products of my choice in exchange for copies of the guy's emails and all the product/packaging from the pirated stuff. So all in all, I ended up with legit copies of the two products I really wanted, and hopefully helped stick it to the bastard pirate that sold me the bogus software.

Wow, that's awesome of them to do that. I could easily see them going a different direction (and being well within their right to do so). Props to them for realizing you had gotten screwed and for wanting to keep you as a loyal customer.

Fire Me Boy!
05-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Wow, that's awesome of them to do that. I could easily see them going a different direction (and being well within their right to do so). Props to them for realizing you had gotten screwed and for wanting to keep you as a loyal customer.

Yeah, they absolutely bought my loyalty. I was extremely impressed with how they handled it. I'm somewhat certain that wouldn't have happened had they not seen I had purchased a number of their products prior to that one.

One other instance of eBay fortune for me... I was trying to buy a $900-ish lens for my Canon XL1 a couple years ago. It was a used 16x manual zoom with calibrated focus. Anyhoo, I bought it off eBay and in a short amount of time I got a package. Inside was a $1,800 lens - a new 20x manual zoom with calibrated focus that was originally packaged with the XL2. I pondered it, really wanting to just take the loot and make off good. But my conscience got the best of me and I called the company and talked to their eBay guy. I explained what happened, and he said, and I quote - "Well shit, my mistake. Keep it, it's not your fault I sent you the wrong one." So I got a better lens AND a guilt-free conscience. :)

Lono
05-13-2011, 10:51 AM
I just got an email from another guy who was also scammed by this dude. He said his case was settled yesterday in his favor by ebay.

Chiefnj2
05-13-2011, 10:59 AM
I just got an email from another guy who was also scammed by this dude. He said his case was settled yesterday in his favor by ebay.

It happened to me a few months ago. I won an auction and the next day the seller unregistered from Ebay. I saw them selling similar products under a different account name, but the positive reviews were identical to what I had seen. (Apparently there is a hack of some sort to share the same positive feedback). I filed a complaint online with ebay and then called them immediately. You can ask them to move it up to a "critical alert" or some BS name they give it. They'll tell you to wait 7 days to hear from the seller, and then contact them again.

On day 7 call them and tell them you haven't heard anything, etc., and demand payment immediately.

It's somewhat frustrating. The call center (probably a 3rd world country) is working off a series of prompts/flowchart. I was prepared to tell them about the other fraudulent accounts selling the same products w/ same feedback, but it wasn't part of the flowchart and I was throwing them for a loop.

Simply Red
05-13-2011, 11:21 AM

you'll get it back - just be patient - and it's on ebay - not pp